Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    It's hard to name just three but if I had to they'd be:

The Cardigans - Whichever one made them famous here. What can I say, the chick was hot.

Tony Rice - ???? Bought it at the recommendation of audiophiles...nuff said.

Sleater Kinney - One Beat?? Recommended by some tool that writes for Sound & Vision...fecking dreadful album!

Runners up:

Veruca Salt - Their first album?? One catchy tune...

Samia Farah - Self-titled. Anther one with about only one good track...plus the French language ranks up there with a dentist's drill.

Luna - Got a lot of recommendations...a crap album with a horrendous cover of Sweet Child O'Mine.

No Doubt - Their first album. My wife (then girlfriend) liked it but for some reason refuses to buy CD's, forcing me to buy them, then complains that I buy too many. Had to do it again today at lunch...she's been dying for that Modest Mouse album so I picked it up, along with three others for me!

William Orbit- ??? Complete crap...only thing I can be thankful for is that I bought it used for $6.

Ratt - Ratt N' Roll 81-91. One of those BMG "I can't find anything else I really want..." moments.

W.A.S.P. - Best Of. See above.

Toploader - Onka's Big ???? They were getting lots of mentions on NME's sight. As with all of the 90's British bands I picked this one up without ever hearing a lick...the chance I took today with The Shins first album and Mooney Suzuki's latest. The album cover was taken across the street from where my wife and I stay when we go to London. Other than that it sucks...

Best part is...I'm keeping them all for 20 years from now when my kid pulls them out and says..."dad, you're taste in music is dreadful!"

Bill

Queensryche - Q2k. Yeah, Hear In The Now Fronteir was a letdown, considering Promised Land, Empire, Mindcrime, and Rage were some of the best albums ever created which each one being better than the previous one. I figured Frontier was a near miss and they would be back to old form with Q2k.Nope. What the hell happened? There's not one listenable song on here.

Nirvana - Nevermind. Maybe too much hype? I don't think so. I bought this before anyone knew who Nirvana was. Thought it was the worst CD I'd ever heard so I threw it away. A year later, it's huge. Figured I missed something so bought it AGAIN. Nope. Still unlistenable. Still a no talent hack playing guitar and singing. This time I sold it, as now there were plenty of kids who would buy it. Didn't even keep a burned copy.

Yes - Tormato. Fragile? Great! Close to the Edge? Great! Oceans, Relayer..not so great. Going For The One? GREAT! THE BOYS ARE BACK!! Tormato..ugh. Even the band hated it while they were making it.

Forum Regular

Best and worst (and most confrontational) worst albums.

Out of all the posters to this thread, my vote for best worst albums (i.e., the albums listed as worst that I think are the best) goes to Forever Autumn, with mad rhetorik coming in second and BillB coming in third. OK, as for Forever Autumn's post, I've never heard Holly Cole's Temptation, but, hello, it's an album of Tom Waits covers -- there's no way it can suck that badly. And I think Wide Open Spaces is a quite solid album and What's the Story (Morning Glory) an excellent album.

As for mad rhetorik, I'm not familiar with the Blackstreet album that he cites, but I think both that Kid Rock and the Joan Osborne are pretty darn good (although Kid Rock clearly is aimed at a younger demographic than I belong to, so I'm not exactly throwing that album on a lot).

BillB comes in third for mentioning such quality bands as The Cardigans, Sleater-Kinney and Luna. (Actually, I personally like these bands better than I like Kid Rock or the Dixie Chicks, but BillB's choices are less demographically predictable and thus get less demerits ).

I still think Troy wins for worst worst albums.

J gets the award for most confrontational list of worst albums, as he just goes and names three classics of mid-70s Cheese Rock that are clearly dear to the hearts of a few of a certain age on this board. At least, J, you could've mixed it up a bit, era and genre-wise.

Of course, I should go ahead and post my "worst" albums, but I'd really have to look at my cd collection to remind me, because I never listen to them.

UPDATE: OK, In Absentia gets late-breaking honorable mention for referring to Kurt Cobain as a no-talent hack.
    Last edited by DariusNYC; 08-26-2004 at 09:37 AM. Reason: This just in

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Worst part about this thread is how many of these CD's I currently or previously owned
    I wonder if I'll get flamed for adding:
    Led Zeppelin - Coda
    Deftones - Deftones
    Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

to the list...

Forum Regular
    Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy

I was a kid, waited like 2 or 3 years for Led Zep to release something after #4. Stirway to Heaven was the most awesome song, number one on every list, I peddle my bike at least 45 minutes each way, rip off the plastic, see a naked man with a wig on the cover (uh-oh) slap that thing on my Pioneer PL-12D turntable and hear...

Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh ....OH
    Baby , pleeease don't Go..oh oh oh oh oh

It was worse than finding out there was no Santa Clause

and I never gave Zep another chance....

Quote Originally Posted by unleasHell
    Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy

I was a kid, waited like 2 or 3 years for Led Zep to release something after #4. Stirway to Heaven was the most awesome song, number one on every list, I peddle my bike at least 45 minutes each way, rip off the plastic, see a naked man with a wig on the cover (uh-oh) slap that thing on my Pioneer PL-12D turntable and hear...

Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh-Oh ....OH
    Baby , pleeease don't Go..oh oh oh oh oh

It was worse than finding out there was no Santa Clause

and I never gave Zep another chance....
    I remember reading that Bonzo had a really difficult time learning how to play the reggae rhythm of that song.
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by DariusNYC

UPDATE: OK, In Absentia gets late-breaking honorable mention for referring to Kurt Cobain as a no-talent hack.
    ...and he dresses funny.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    ...and he dresses funny.
    Speakin' of dressing funny, who are those funny-lookin' dudes in your avatar?

I wished I could limit them to only three...

Steve Miller Band - Abracadabra - A really popular song, and like anyone else, I jumped on it. Miller was so strapped for ideas on this one that he even recycled a moderate hit, 'Heart Like A Wheel', in the form of the brainless 'Give It Up'. In fact, the whole LP played like a bad Leo Sayer album. But even the most ardent bubble-gummers though this one was weak.

Paul McCartney - Pipes Of Peace - What a saccarined piece of crap, worse even than McCartney II and that's an accomplishment from a guy who made some seriously foo-foo pop in the '80s. I maybe played this one three times ever, and eventually giving it to my niece, who hated it. Total gak.

Ted Nugent - Little Miss Dangerous - Even Teddy succumbed to the uber-'80s, plasticy production (I guess then, so did I). This one was embarrissing and most everyone was I knew was blown away at how bad it was. Ted never recovered.

Journey - Raised On Radio - In '86, these guys were the velveeta of cheesy rock --- nuff said.

Ratt - Invasion Of Your Privacy - I didn't jump on the Ratt bandwagon when Out Of The Cellar came out. But I decided to give them a shot on their second album. Yeeowch! This one is cheesy '80s hairy metal at its worst. I couldn't give it away.

Blue Oyster Cult - Club Ninja - I'm really embarrissed for these guys. Most devout fans of the band that I knew cringed when they heard it. Not that there weren't some good songs on this album (well, maybe two). They were pressured into making an 'up-to-date' synthetic plasticy '80s rock sounding album. The very pressure that befell the likes of even...

Judas Priest - Turbo How big a sellout was this? Can you say drum machines? Can you say twinky synths? What a turd. Halford was even quoted a few years later, calling it a "little girl's album".

Quiet Riot - QR III - I new enough people who owned Metal Health that I never needed to buy it. I think I was in a record store when I saw that pre-orders were being taken for QR3, so I jumped on the bandwagon. (wow, I musta bought more crap in '86 than I have in my whole life) The biggest hit these guys ever had was a cover, which should tell you about the extent of their talent. This one was ditched after one listen.

These don't even include the Top-40 drivel I bought just to play for girls while on dates;-)

I absolutely hate to admit this.

Okay, I was looking for a song. A recent song. A song that I really liked.

Found out it was from the band Saliva. From thier recent album Survival Of The Sickest.

I bought it.

Well, the song I liked is cool but the rest totally sucks. Come to find out they're just another corporate mainstream suck arse rock band. I feel cheated.

But that song was cool.

I saved it to my hard drive and the CD is going back to the used store to recoup some of my loss.

Darren
    Last edited by DarrenH; 08-27-2004 at 04:36 PM.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I don't even remember the name of the band, but the album cover was a bunch of topless dudes getting real close to each other, and I think the big song was something like "where can a man...find such a woman..."

Actually, doing some additional net research, it looks like I'm mixing up two things. The latter is Tycoon, "Such a Woman", but I have no idea who the former is. But I do remember being almost too embarassed to buy the album with the cover, and then being real disappointed that the only good song was the hit song.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

THC no THD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Here's 5.

I "win".

WOW!!! That's all I can say!!!

Or, maybe they'd say...

..."Dad, you're (sic) spelling is atrocious!"

fp

for some reason, saw this movie at the drive-in, and was really enthralled. especially by "Woman in the Moon". so i bought the soundtrack.

then there was this(small pic)

there there was this

and this

luckily, by the time of the mid-80's, i was smart enough to avoid the hair bands and crap pop of the period. no night ranger or ratt in my collection.

Utmostjamin1
    im surprised no ones been macho enough to mention Barry Manilow. I remember as a kid my mom got us 2 or 3 of his 8 Tracks.

arrgg does anyone remember the classic HIFI 8 TRACK
    ROTFLMAO

as soon as i had enough money saved the first real rock and roll album i bought was AC/DC Back in Black. what a classic album.

hi Rufus... I was young enough then that I did buy Night Ranger and Ratt.. fortunately I was "saved" by Husker Du and the Replacements!

only 4th post here?

Welcome!
    -jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

i used to post on the old board a bit, even got a copy of rave recs volume 3, and a couple other comps. but when the board changed, it seemed like a lot of people left, or quit posting so much, there wasn't that much activity going on, and it was harder to track conversations in this format, so i just kinda stopped coming by.

not to mention that i hadn't bought any new cd's since yankee hotel foxtrot until just a few weeks ago. no spare cash for music. and i haven't heard much on the radio over the past few years that really moves me much, so........... lately, i bought the wilco book, learning how to die, and so for the past month or so have just been basically infatuated solely with wilco, uncle tupelo, and related stuff. but maybe i'll pop by more often. it seems i'm getting a bit bored by some of my other forums i hang out at, so maybe i can get into some of the stuff here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information