Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Week 1 - 25 best live records of all time.

Well, I'm jumping back in with another list, and this could be the best I've found since the '50 Most Influential' that I started about 2 years ago and faithfully posted about each week until all 50 had been mentioned. It created a fair amount of interest and debate (remember Resident Loser?).This will last half that time, but I hope it helps to create a little excitement...well, let's say interest...around here since it's been somewhat dead of late. Here goes nothing...

# 25 The Allman Brothers Band - At the Fillmore East - haven’t had your fill of “Whipping Post,” you didn’t grow up on FM Radio. Southern Rock never quite reached its potential--unless you consider Molly Hatchet transcendent--but its roots were sharp and shaggy. Had Duane Allman lived, would he have had the power to re-route its course? As the mystics say, who knows?

This remains one of my personal favorites; Hot 'Lanta, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed...great stuff all. What say you?

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Roy Buchanan: American Axe--Live in 1974

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    It would definately make my top 25. A classic. This might have been the first live album that I bought. Or maybe Woodstock. Good start Swish.

Forum Regular
    #25 seems too low, right off the bat. You're not going to stack the upper tier with Dick's Pick's, are ya?
    I didn't change my mind. It changed all by itself.

In addendum:

V. Horowitz: Live and Unedited: The Historic 1965 Carnegie Hall Return Concert
    Horowitz returns after a 12-year hiatus. A few missed notes here, a clunk there, but the master returns and performs in grand style, reminding fans that he hasn't finished and is by no means finished...

Mack the Knife: Ella Fitzgerald in Berlin
    Exuberant, engaging and ever ebullient, Ella never disappointed and always pleased

Lotus: Santana in Japan, 1973
    From the opening strains of "Going Home" throughout, Santana was a true funkmaster
    daddy priest of the guitar and a serious musician whose depth never failed to astonish

Supertramp: Paris
    Superbly recorded, deftly played and not a dry eye left standing.
    Last edited by Auricauricle; 08-18-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasn
    #25 seems too low, right off the bat. You're not going to stack the upper tier with Dick's Pick's, are ya?
    Agreed. I'd have thought this to be much higher...what a great disc. I have the DTS Hi-Rez version which is truly fantastic but I'd be interested in hearing any of the other formats as a comparison.

Of course, none of the format mumbo-jumbo means aything if it ain't got "that thang" and At the Fillimore East has the juice. I love listening to Betts schwerve and slide betwixt Jamo and Butch...

Hay Auri, I think Swish-daddy is gonna progressively list all twenty-five, so's this is more of a discuss-as-it-comes thing than a list-ya-faves.

Sorry....Missed the point, eh?

It's all good. Besides, it's one of Swish's threads...it'll prolly be on life support soon enough.

I'll play

I too am surprised to see this one at #25 - I figured it'd be further down the road. I will be intersting to see what comes after this one. Given the '70s penchant for sweetened live albums, I wonder if that's taken into consideration. Never heard whether this one got the sweetening or not. Great live album and for the most part, the live album in most circles I ran in.

Too much soloing. Had the songs been shorter...

I don't like others.

Saying a live Allman Brothers album has too much soloing is like saying cotton candy has too much sugar. Isn't that kinda the point?

Other than that, I don't have much here.

Zappa's uptempo live version of Whippin Post off of Them or Us is, for me, the definitive version.

I find myself listening less and less to this one. If I am in the mood it's great but otherwise it's just a little too indulgent. But that is the point I guess. Solid live album never the less and rightfully included here.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    This would definitely crack my top 25.

Yeah, 25 is good...everyone knows that it certainly topped "Cher Live: The Farewell Tour" at #26, but never quite lived up to "The Bacon Brothers: Live" at #24. Where else would you put it? 25!!!

Indulgent? No more than Tchaikovsky was indulgent. If you want compact, pre-fab music selling fashion and attitude you won't find it here.

BTW, Swishy, props for digging out another list!

Hey, my pleasure. Just trying to spark some interest &..

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    This would definitely crack my top 25.

Yeah, 25 is good...everyone knows that it certainly topped "Cher Live: The Farewell Tour" at #26, but never quite lived up to "The Bacon Brothers: Live" at #24. Where else would you put it? 25!!!

Indulgent? No more than Tchaikovsky was indulgent. If you want compact, pre-fab music selling fashion and attitude you won't find it here.

BTW, Swishy, props for digging out another list!
    ...to keep this board from total ruination at the hands of nincompoops like bobsticks.

Swishdaddy
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

Forum Regular
    I can look back at The Allman Brothers and appreciate the high level of musical skills with which they performed, interpreted the Delta Blues, and wrote a few classics of their own. Add to that their young ages...it's pretty astounding. I can't think of many who compare today.

42 Regular
    I would have placed this one higher than #25 as well. Not sure if it's top 10 material...but it's close. This album is the very definition of jam-rock, especially when paired with the live material on Eat a Peach.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

top 10 for me

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Saying a live Allman Brothers album has too much soloing is like saying cotton candy has too much sugar. Isn't that kinda the point?

Other than that, I don't have much here.

Zappa's uptempo live version of Whippin Post off of Them or Us is, for me, the definitive version.
    Agreed...

...and I like Yahozna and Truck Driver Divorce.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    based on reputation alone I thought it would be higher. I have it and am impressed with it, but it doesn't make it to my machine very often. I guess it's because of hearing much of it on the radio in high school, etc. so maybe overplay/saturation and age have moved it farther down the list. I'm curious as to whether this is an all-genre list. If so, my guess is it's probably jazz top-heavy.

Good points deano. It'll be interesting to see this unfold. I suspect a lot of folks will be comparing subsequent titles against this.

This might be an interesting segue, 'Sticks....The "Fillmore" album was not only a great musical offering in its own right, but certainly was influential for many budding musicians. As far as up-and-comers go, how about Derek Trucks and the crew?

Forum Regular
    How about making this a "daily"?

Back off man!

Quote Originally Posted by jasn
    How about making this a "daily"?
    Nah, I barely have time to pee these days, much less to come up with decent things to post about on RR (man is bobsticks going to skewer me for that line), so I want to keep it as a weekly post and, hopefully, draw some interest from the members. It looks like it worked pretty well, but I think there will be some harsh criticism for # 24. Really.

Swishdaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Nah, I barely have time to pee these days, much less to come up with decent things to post about on RR (man is bobsticks going to skewer me for that line)...
    Swishdaddy
    Yesterday I was actually gonna take the time to come up with a Top-Ten List of "Reasons Why Swish Would Rather Pee Than Post Something Decent" but found myself doing any number of mundane things that were ultimately more rewarding.

Surely though, you macrame-ing your ass would have been high in the countdown.

Uh..um.. that makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Yesterday I was actually gonna take the time to come up with a Top-Ten List of "Reasons Why Swish Would Rather Pee Than Post Something Decent" but found myself doing any number of mundane things that were ultimately more rewarding.

Surely though, you macrame-ing your ass would have been high in the countdown.
    Then again, many of your treatises border on the inane or otherwise unintelligible. How about the 'Top Ten List of Things Swish Would Rather Do Than Post on RR". I'll get you started;

10. Macrame his ass into a chair while sipping a pale ale and puffing on a cigar
    9. Play difficult songs like "Horse With No Name" on his acoustic guitar
    8. Create compilations that no one will ever play (actually, that sounds like one of yours)
    7. Pick lint from his navel
    6. Work on the Sudoku from today's newspaper that was rated V. Easy

I think I've given you a reasonable head start, so have at it.

Swish - cooks with gas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information