Thread: Be warned

Suspended

Be warned

I have a double CD of Rolling Stone, Hot Rocks that I bought maybe back in the 80's, I can't remember last time I listened but it must have been longer than I thought, I pulled it out yesterday and got a shock when I opened it. The case had those thin foam pieces in the jewel case and they had decayed, part of it stuck to the disc, luckily it was the label side, and luckily it wiped off alright but what a mess. Same thing on both sides. I will go through my collection this weekend checking older double CD's and pulling that foam out if it's in any more of my cases. The part that wasn't stuck to the disc just crumbled, it was really a mess. This is the first time I've ever had this happen so I thought I'd mention it to you all.

Forum Regular

message from Raj J

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I have a double CD of Rolling Stone, Hot Rocks that I bought maybe back in the 80's, I can't remember last time I listened but it must have been longer than I thought, I pulled it out yesterday and got a shock when I opened it. The case had those thin foam pieces in the jewel case and they had decayed, part of it stuck to the disc, luckily it was the label side, and luckily it wiped off alright but what a mess. Same thing on both sides. I will go through my collection this weekend checking older double CD's and pulling that foam out if it's in any more of my cases. The part that wasn't stuck to the disc just crumbled, it was really a mess. This is the first time I've ever had this happen so I thought I'd mention it to you all.
    hello sir!
    yes, I have had that experience, specially back in my home country, Sri Lanka. since we have extremely high humidity levels (95%) everything deteriorates! I have managed to clean my discs with CO-2 contact cleaner. or the CD cleaner solution from Nordost. either one worked fine. back at home we went through some major flooding one time, including a termite invasion, all my CD's & albums had some bloody mess in them. had to clean each single one, took me nearly the whole day. but all is well now and they never had a problem since.
    cheers and all the best for 2011 mate!

Thread Information