Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wanted, Opinions on where "Queen" Rates?

I was sitting listening to "Queen's Video Hits Vol. 1" on the Oppo and after the 17 or 18 tunes were done I was just so damn impressed with thier volume and variety of work that I had to ask, "where do you rate Queen in the annals of all time best or important RnR bands?"

Just curious as to what other's think. I know my soul, RnB, Funk, even some Jazz but I only dabble in some genre's of RnR. Would love to hear from the experts.

Worf

Suspended
    I like the early Queen much more than anything after News of the World. 1 and 2 are my all time favs and yet many people know nothing before Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Songs like Keep Yourself Alive, Liar, Doin Alright, Father to Son, Loser in the End, can't be beat by all the fruity stuff they came out with later. I don't listen to anything post NOTW.

But, Brian May is a friggun genious in many ways. Besides being an Astro-Physicist among other things, he wires his own pickups, builds his own gear and so much more.

Yeah Freddy was a great front man but without May they were nobody. Sorta like Tull without Martin Barre.

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile Queen is incredible

The band is near perfect when it comes to providing something for almost any kind of listening. I just fired up Who Wants To Live Forever. The raw emotion in that song and its various versions are breathtaking. Queen can tear tears from your eyes and make you have a spiritual experience and they can rock out to hits like We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions. They also can pull off dopey stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody which many of us younger folk were introduced to in Waynes World. There is just so much talent there. How can you go wrong with a virtuoso guitarist that inspired the likes of Slash and what many have described as the best vocalist in Rock period in Freddie Mercury? Freddie could do almost anything from Opera, to ballads, to amazing rock like Tie Your Mother Down. They even did good disco which in itself is just an amazing feat. Is it a kind of magic? Almost certainly.

I'm not a big fan of their albums post A Night At The Opera. Both ANATO and Sheer Heart Attack are 10/10 albums, IMO, and yet they are so very different. After that, they wrote some great songs, IMO, but it didn't hold together the way the earlier work did.

Anyway, they were a great band, and I saw them twice in concert at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens. I suppose you have to put down Mick Jagger and Freddie Mercury as the two all-time greatest front-men for bands not named after themselves. The one thing you can say about Queen is that they sure knew how to portray a sense of fun in their song-writing and recording.

Up there in the top ten I’d think.

A great song....

The machine of a dream
    Such a clean machine
    With the pistons a pumpin
    And the hub caps all gleam

When Im holdin your wheel
    All I hear is your gear
    When my hands on your grease gun
    Oh it's like a disease son

Im in love with my car
    Gotta feel for my automobile
    Get a grip on my boy racer rollbar
    Such a thrill when your radials squeal

Told my girl I'll have to forget her
    Rather buy me a new carburetor
    So she made tracks sayin
    This is the end now
    Cars don't talk back
    They're just four wheeled friends now

When Im holdin your wheel
    All I hear is your gear
    When Im cruisin in overdrive
    Don't have to listen to no run of the mill talk jive

Im in love with my car
    Gotta feel for my automobile
    Im in love with my car
    String back gloves in my automolove
    Last edited by GMichael; 10-04-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Never been a fan, never owned an album. Just no interest whatsoever. I always thought they were kinda infantile and garish. I prefer my glamrock a little classier and lower key, like Be Bop Deluxe or Roxy Music.

But I understand their place in R&R history. The high place they hold in pop culture is undeniable.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    I'm not a big fan of their albums post A Night At The Opera. Both ANATO and Sheer Heart Attack are 10/10 albums, IMO, and yet they are so very different. After that, they wrote some great songs, IMO, but it didn't hold together the way the earlier work did.
    yep, pretty spotty albums though each album spawned a big single or two. They are one of the three or four most recognizable acts among their peers - no guitar sounded like May's and no one sounded like Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    I suppose you have to put down Mick Jagger and Freddie Mercury as the two all-time greatest front-men for bands not named after themselves. The one thing you can say about Queen is that they sure knew how to portray a sense of fun in their song-writing and recording.
    which is why you have to put Queen ahead of a lot of their contemporaries. Early Queen was very experimental, where as much of '70s classic rock sounds formulaic and interchangeable.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

I was never much of a fan.

Killer Queen was a good song, but some of their more popular stuff (We are the Champions, We Will Rock You, Bohemian Rhapsody) are so annoying they make me want to put a hatchet through the freekin' door. Know what I mean.

I certainly rate them higher than the hundreds of one-hit wonders and such, but certainly not in my top 100.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Queen are definately in my top 5 bands of all time. I absolutely love Mercury's voice and his versatility. He was an entertainer right through to his bones and I still miss his presence in the world of music.

I may not love their later works, but I love that they were able to continuously reinvent themselves and change with the times. The Game may not have been a musical masterpiece but it probably sold more albums than their previous disks combined. It's a good pop album...I just didn't love Queen as a pop band. They were very much like Bowie in that respect. Chamelions who never got stuck in a rut but could roll with the times.

When I saw the stage play "We Will Rock You", there is a song that is a tribute to the great rockers who are no longer with us. When they got to Freddie, I actually cried. He is one of my all-time favourite entertainers.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler
    The band is near perfect...How can you go wrong with a virtuoso guitarist that inspired the likes of Slash and what many have described as the best vocalist in Rock period in Freddie Mercury?
    Well, the above quote makes me want to dislike them, but I pretty much agree with what others have said-- they had some moments, mostly in their earlier days. Oddly enough, the Queen record (or cassette, as it was) that I mainly grew up with was Live at Wembley '86... I probably wore that out as a kid but I don't really have much interest in it now. I always enjoyed the infamous Rolling Stone review that called them "fascist", and that probably had more of an impact on my music listening development than any of their music ever did (it was one of the first times that I realized that music isn't always "good" just because it has been canonized by rockists-- it would take me a few more years to also realize that some mainstream rock and pop can also be really great despite being slagged on by snobs and critics). I can't find that one easily online but here's an equally good one from Creem, linked from their Wikipedia page:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Cohen, 1979
    FOR A FEW weeks in 1978, an FM radio station in New York City was trying, earnestly and imaginatively, to create rock 'n' roll counter-programming. A ratings turnaround didn't happen fast enough, so it changed its format to something called "the Rock Champions" (i.e., more AOR elitism).

This was around the same time that every film clip of The Yankees on television was scored with ‘We Are The Champions’, and the movie FM attempted to pass off ‘We Will Rock You’ as the ‘We Shall Overcome’ of the rock revolution. I started to despise Queen; a two-sided platinum single of aristocratic, pompous, triumph-of-the-will arrogance in 4/4 time (if marches are to resound over the airwaves, better Ace Frehley's ‘New York Groove’ any day) summed up for me the worst in royalist rock, and I couldn't remember more joyless, numbing, contemptuous music reaching a mass audience. Frankly, I was wary of the implications.

I needn't have been. I still despise Queen, but their music is so absurdly dull on Jazz, so filled with dumb ideas and imitative posturing, that it's impossible to feel threatened by a barely competent rock group singing "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" (real 70's-think: can you imagine a Queen Army, a pack of mascara'd lounge lizards walking in lockstep?). ‘Fun It’ is their disco number for Christ's sake, and it still sounds like a funeral march, with lyrical babble about dynastic movements. And no lead singer who evokes Joel Grey's slimy Cabaret smarminess and who writes "the first Moroccan rock 'n' roll song" (it sounds more like his haftorah) can truly be scary, just genuinely awful.

Queen used to make enjoyably ludicrous records like ‘Liar’ and ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, and Roy Thomas Baker gave their music an entertaining art-rock veneer that he adapted so successfully for The Cars. But now, even their best jokes – ‘Let Me Entertain You’, a parody of their own worthlessness; ‘Dreamer's Ball’, an extravagantly condescending jazz-blues – are pummeled by the approach to the material. All four of Queen's writers seem to know what a song is (they've learned and stolen from the worst of The Beatles just as Cheap Trick have absorbed and adapted the best) and when to stop, qualities lacking in many of their progressive competitors, and stripped of their pretentious overlays, the tunes on Jazz turn out to be swipes from The Cowsills, ‘Holly Holy’, Magical Mystery Tour, Disraeli Gears, Mott The Who-ple. If only Queen could lock into the simplest formula without attaching dead weights, if Freddie Mercury weren't such a screeching bore (even his cock-rock, like ‘Don't Stop Me Now’, is flaccid), if their arrangements weren't on the basic level of Mel Brooks' ‘Prisoners Of Love’, then Jazz could be studied as a catalog of pop-rock sources.

Mercury, surprise of surprises, may have turned into the weakest link of the quartet (although the rhythm section does plunge to deeper depths, it does so less frequently); his compositions dominate side one and they are, without exception, earsores: ‘Mustapha’ (the weirdest lead-off track in the history of rock albums?), ‘Let Me Entertain You’ (a pure rocky horrorshow). Guitarist Brian May handles all the jazzing up around here, with his rollin' and tumblin' ‘Dead On Time’ and ‘Dreamer's Ball’, the only song that even approximates the LP's title (if Queen pulled a Kiss and released four solo albums, May'd be the best bet to be their Ace), but as he is also responsible for the s******y ‘Fat Bottomed Girls’, it would be a misrepresentation to exempt him from blame.

Maybe Queen thinks all this is funny, that their undisguised condescension ("rock 'n' roll just pays the bills") and operatic mannerisms atop a beat more Rockette than rock is entertainment, but it's not my idea of a good time. For me, their snappiest one-liner is on the inner sleeve: "Written, arranged and performed exclusively by Queen" As if anyone else would want to step forward and take credit.

Romanticist Philosopher

That reviewer sounds like a pompous ass

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Well, the above quote makes me want to dislike them, but I pretty much agree with what others have said-- they had some moments, mostly in their earlier days. Oddly enough, the Queen record (or cassette, as it was) that I mainly grew up with was Live at Wembley '86... I probably wore that out as a kid but I don't really have much interest in it now. I always enjoyed the infamous Rolling Stone review that called them "fascist", and that probably had more of an impact on my music listening development than any of their music ever did (it was one of the first times that I realized that music isn't always "good" just because it has been canonized by rockists-- it would take me a few more years to also realize that some mainstream rock and pop can also be really great despite being slagged on by snobs and critics). I can't find that one easily online but here's an equally good one from Creem, linked from their Wikipedia page:
    Anyhow, I never got that crazy into Queen thus far and have both volumes of their greatest hits. The ones that are the blue disk which includes much from The Highlander soundtrack. The red/maroon disk also has great stuff. I also bought the Flash Gordon soundtrack that is just so hilarious in that if you listen to it you get a short synopsis of the movie as they play snippets of the lines from the movie throughout. I love a lot of Queen's music but man I cringe sometimes when I watch Freddie performing live on stage because he basically slowly undresses until he looks frankly ridiculous with his white pants/shorts a bit too tight and probably squashing his family jewels. In fact I was watching a performace on TV one time and changed the channel when it got down to Freddie undressing more and more and just making me sqeemish. Despite the oddity of what was the great Freddie Mercury I still respect the greatness. There best stuff surely is great. Oh, I did buy A Night At The Opera on DVD-Audio and a lot of it I didn't like but when you look at a collection of hits and their best work Queen surely has so much good music that there is something for everybody except moron critics who probably should look in the mirror and thank somebody that they actually get paid to say such stupid things.

Rae
    [EDIT: I was taking the bait there somewhat and it's silly to get drawn into internet pissing matches. I recuse myself.]

~Rae

The band is near perfect...How can you go wrong with a virtuoso guitarist that inspired the likes of Slash and what many have described as the best vocalist in Rock period in Freddie Mercury?
    Common Robert, that is given them too much credit. They like any other bands had their own share of good songs (Radio GAGA) and bad sogs (Fat Bottom Girls) and up and downs. There were many bands that were more influential, and certainly many more better rock vocalist.

Romanticist Philosopher

Wink Okay.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Common Robert, that is given them too much credit. They like any other bands had their own share of good songs (Radio GAGA) and bad sogs (Fat Bottom Girls) and up and downs. There were many bands that were more influential, and certainly many more better rock vocalist.

I never said that I thought that they were the best ever. I said they are a near perfect combo of a virtuoso guitarist and what many people consider to be the best vocalist in Rock. I never said he was the best vocalist ever. That talk is crazy. There is no best in art and there never will be. Frankly I don't care about influential either. I think those discussions are the kind of fluff that wind up with smoke blowing out of both ends. The only thing that matters is the connection between you and the music. The best of Queen's music is great and a worthy purchase for just about anyone. I highly recommend purchasing the greatest hits collections as the albums are probably too inconsistent. The band was great and actually put on a great show recently with the help of Paul Rodgers.

P.S What the hell is wrong with Fat Bottomed Girls? Don't you like a little junk in the trunk?

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I dunno Smokes, Radio CaCa?

Yes, that review from Creem circa '75 is typical media elitism of the day. It was prolly cut and paste of their Relayer review from a year before. If you weren't Dylanesque or Lou Reedish or The Rolling Stones you didn't matter. I'm surprised that RS or Creem could make the time actually listen to other albums the same year Blood On The Tracks and Born To Run came out. Notice too, that while he's criticing an album he may or may not have actually listen he takes a swipe at progressive rock as well any form of music he disapproves. Freddy Mercury was no less manly or more outlandish than Mick Jagger or the frail Robert Plant, but when Mercury did rock he was aping Cabaret, which the "reviewer" intimates was the wrong way to do rock-n-roll. Did this reviewer have as big a problem with T-Rex's Bang A Gong or The Who's Squeeze Box as he did Fat Bottom Girls?

Of well, it was 1975. These rags didn't realize that a wave of leather-clad Monkees were on their way to save rock-n-roll within another year or so.
    Last edited by 3LB; 10-05-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

I enjoy them partly because... they're just fun. Nay, they are not my favorite, but I do have several CD's. I may even get more of their material, but they are not my top priority. Perhaps a field of naked women riding bicycles is immature, but for some, it sure is fun!

I found myself perusing some of their youtube videos. That was entertaining, and enhanced my respect for them.

Perhaps most folks know Queen via Bohemian Rhapsody, in itself a unique piece in the realm of Rock-n-Roll. That is unfortunate because they have done so much more.
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

P.S What the hell is wrong with Fat Bottomed Girls? Don't you like a little junk in the trunk?
    Believe me, I be the first one in line for FBG. Problem is that song does not do it justice

Never been a big fan, but I do like some of their stuff. I have a couple copies of different greatest-hits-type albums and I still pick and choose what to listen to off them. There are a handful of songs I like and the rest I can live without.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    No disagreements with any points above...........obviously they were on their game.
    However, what needs to be pointed out is their utilization of technical skills and virtuosity of the recording studio as well as voice and instrument.

One extreme example :
    Legend has it that, once the base instrumental tracks were down, Mercury spent 90 hours over 10 consecutive days alone with the engineer in the studio putting together the vocals for Bohemian Rhapsody.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    No disagreements with any points above...........obviously they were on their game.
    However, what needs to be pointed out is their utilization of technical skills and virtuosity of the recording studio as well as voice and instrument.

One extreme example :
    Legend has it that, once the base instrumental tracks were down, Mercury spent 90 hours over 10 consecutive days alone with the engineer in the studio putting together the vocals for Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Umm, ..., yeah, that kind of stuff too. I tried to think of a RnR song comparable to Bohemian Rhapsody, but I couldn't think of any. That's why I call it unique. Sure it's overplayed, but for good reason, it's a great song.

But to fully appreciate Queen, the listener need to go beyond Bohemian Rhapsody and pickup their other great songs and albums. Of the albums I have, NOTW seems to be my favorite. It's packed with a lot of great songs, some of which don't have much air time.

OK, now I'm inspired. I gotta put more of thier stuff on my want list.

Thank you
    Philips GA312/ Stanton 681EEE/ Jico D6800EEE-S Shibata ===>>|
    Yamaha DVD-S2700 CD/SACD/DVD >> MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha CDC-765 CD 5 disc >>==== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    JVC TD-W709 Cassette >>======== MONSTER STANDARD THX i100 >>|
    Yamaha RX-797 Receiver -------------------------------------+
    Sennheiser HD650 Head phones <<===========================<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<L############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##L<<|
    Klipsch RF-7 <<R############### MONSTER MSERIES MCX-2S ##R<<|

I don't rate them. I'm mostly with Troy on this, although I think they did some very good things that are seen as great. Different strokes.

The only album I ever had was A Night At The Opera, which I think is a good piece of work. I like where the Creem writer is coming from but when reviews like that don't make their case well it makes the writers look foolish. I could never deny 'You're My Best Friend.'

And I do remember when Bohemian Rhapsody first hit the radio, it was different in a good way. It took awhile to build up a dislike for the We Are The Champions/We Will Rock You single, at least 5 listens.

So when I hear the stuff I can't take anymore and the stuff I never liked in the first place I remember this is the same band that did Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Another One Bites The Dust not long afterward & I figure they couldn't have been all bad.

Even though really good players like Brian May can be awfully annoying.

I don't like others.

Henh henh- he said 'annals'.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I'm mostly with Troy on this,
    The horror!

I thought Mercury was the annoying one.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Even though really good players like Brian May can be awfully annoying.
    I remember he once said, among other things, that if had not been for his teeth, he would be perfect. Sure Freddie, whatever you say. So why didn't he fix those monstrous choppers?
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

They rate pretty high with me, not today, but back in the day. Still, one of the best concerts ever for me was Thin Lizzy opening for Queen. The boys are back, followed by night at the opera. Pretty amazing, and pretty enjoyable, and regardless how much you champion new music, pretty unforgettable. We are the champions. .. yea, not much love for that stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information