Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dusty.. did you watch Pink Floyd today?

what did you think?

I have to say I was pretty amazed. I really have never gotten into the Waterless Pink Floyd. But today, it was different. The songs really felt like they had life. "Money" was my favorite of the tunes they played (for those who didn't watch, it was "Breathe," "Money," "Wish You Were Here," and "Comfortably Numb").

I was getting emotional just watching it over the internet, I can't imagine what it would have been like being there..

I don't know if they'll get back together or not, Waters looked like he was having a great time, it was hard to read Gilmour's face.. but there was some magic there today in London.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    No...I suck.

Will probably get it on DVD, though.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I have an 80mb file of all 23 minutes of them playing....

http://web.mit.edu/amna/www/pink.wmv

I was downloading at 800k/s on Saturday night....

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen it yet.

Pretty monumantal. They were a little rusty and I disliked the half-hearted endings to most of the songs (Money and WYWH in particular). Nick Mason was really slow and late a lot.

But, dang, I loved it.

it's about the music
    dude i only caught it from the beginning of wish you were here, but it really was cool to see the Floyd perform live again. Apparently they said sth about it not being the last concert they'd be together in.
    I did find them much older than expected though, specially guilmour and mason. By comparison, Mcartney seemed to have aged MUCH better.
    I would have sold my soul for tickets to that concert.
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Forum Regular
    I saw them and thought they were excellent. I hadn't realised Waters would be with them until they came on, he looked to be really gettin into it, though I'm not so sure about Gilmour. Soundwise they were brilliant.

I was sceptical about the whole event and its value but after seeing the massive TV, radio coverage and reading through the Sunday Times where they dedicated the first 7 pages or so I'm left thinking when those 8 guys go into that room they can't ignore the massive media attention it's received. Of course some of the items on the agenda were already thrashed but they've still pushed the whole issue of Africa and Third World debt up the agenda in my books.

As far as music was concerned it was noticeable as the night progressed the bands got older and older but they can still cut it with the best. Class always shines through I guess. The Who put on a good show too.

As for a lot of the newer bands they sounded pretty dismal at times especially vocally, for example I like Coldplay but Chris Martin sounded pretty weak. The Kaiser Chiefs in Philadelphia I thought were pretty good certainly the exposure won't do them any harm.

Cheers
    Mike

42 Regular
    I didn't get to see the PF set, and like Dusty I'll probably wait for the DVD. But I have to say something about the coverage on VH1 and MTV earlier in the day.

I have been watching television for 40 years now, and I have seen quite a bit of it. And this was, far and away, the worst coverage of any live event I have ever witnessed. It was astoundingly bad. A complete failure on every level. Everyone associated with this production should be dismissed and/or put to death at once.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    I didn't get to see the PF set, and like Dusty I'll probably wait for the DVD. But I have to say something about the coverage on VH1 and MTV earlier in the day.

I have been watching television for 40 years now, and I have seen quite a bit of it. And this was, far and away, the worst coverage of any live event I have ever witnessed. It was astoundingly bad. A complete failure on every level. Everyone associated with this production should be dismissed and/or put to death at once.
    That's too bad about the poor coverage. I watched a lot of the event on CTV which is a Canadian network. I was really impressed with their coverage and thought that it was some of the best coverage I've seen of a live event of this size. They started their coverage at 7:00 in morning, even though the Canadian event didn't begin until 11:00. Once it started, they showed most of the Canadian show just North of Toronto and fed into some of the other countries during breaks between the performances. I watched the PF show live on the internet. But CTV also showed two of the tunes. In fact, they were showing PF's first song on TV while I was watching them perform their last song live on the net.

Then they did a five hour recap of all the days highlights from all the shows, starting at 8:00pm. I wasn't able to watch all of this (I taped it for viewing later), but what I saw was really well done.

And as for the PF show...I had the computer on the London show and spent my afternoon checking every 15 minutes to see who was up next so that I wouldn't miss them. As exciting as it was to see Waters on stage with the rest of the boys, I wasn't so impressed with his performance. Aside from the historical significance, I really didn't feel that he added that much to the overall performance of the band. Maybe my expectations were too high. I was so excited about this performance from the day that I heard about it that maybe I was just expecting too much. Watching it on a 1/4 of my 13" moniter probably didn't do anything to add to the experience either.

42 Regular
    Mark Caro, the media critic for the Chicago Tribune, speculated that a troop of chimpanzees on ritalin had seized control of the production booth. It was that bad.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    They sounded old.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    They sounded old.
    Well they ARE old. But they still sounded good to me. Plus it was nice, for a change, to see Gilmour and Waters at least acting civil towards each other.

I dunno, I watched it again. I think the main thing is this: I've listened to a good portion of music that has been recorded, both live and in the studio, under the name "Pink Floyd" since Roger left. To me, there's always been something missing. I really don't think of it as the same band that recorded THE WALL and ANIMALS, etc..

This past weekend, I felt like I was hearing Pink Floyd. Maybe Roger didn't really add anything to it, I don't know. Maybe it's psychological. But it was just very moving see this those 4, yes old, guys up on stage together.

Hard to explain.

-jar

The Replacements

C-Z
    Forum Regular
    Thanks for the download, kc.

It was great to see them together again

I hope Waters was really sick, cause his voice was gone. Surprised me after In The Flesh.

Not even one closeup of Wright - what's up with that? Except for him being in a shot of someone else in the background seemingly accidently, zero.

I thought Gilmour sounded good.

CZ

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Mark Caro, the media critic for the Chicago Tribune, speculated that a troop of chimpanzees on ritalin had seized control of the production booth. It was that bad.
    Some of the girl chimpanzees they get to host are pretty cute, though

No way do I wanna sound like I'm defending the terrible job MTV/VH1/ABC did of presenting this, but they were apparently prevented from showing more than just clips of the performances by agreement with AOL. Seems like if they had any integrity, they would've just declined. Or at least tried to do a more professional job. But I guess we aren''t really their target audience anymore, are we

Just for the record, I thought it was fun to see the full Floyd again, but couldn't they have picked some songs that weren't so overplayed? Is that really what most fans wanna hear? People wonder why radio has gotten so bad these days, with the same few songs over and over and over, but then major acts get up and do the same thing. Duh.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    FM has gone the way AM was in the 60's.
    Look & Listen

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Just for the record, I thought it was fun to see the full Floyd again, but couldn't they have picked some songs that weren't so overplayed? Is that really what most fans wanna hear? People wonder why radio has gotten so bad these days, with the same few songs over and over and over, but then major acts get up and do the same thing. Duh.
    Agreed. One of These Days would have been an excellent choice. Run Like Hell would have gotten the crowd going, and it would have been interesting with Waters and Gilmour trading vocals back and forth. Pigs might have gone more political than organizers wanted (especially in the third verse), but I would have loved it. And any PF appearance should close with Brain Damage/Eclipse, just on general principles.

Actually I wouldn't have minded one song from the Waterless Floyd catalog, plus something from Amused to Death...just to foil the critics who complain of "rehashing the oldies." On the Turning Away would have been appropriate for the occasion, as would most of A2D.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Not even one closeup of Wright - what's up with that?

I noticed that too, it's like the guys running the camera didn't even know he was a member of the band.

The Replacements

Considering how long it's been since I was in my Floyd phase, it was also getting kinda choked up seeing the band together on stage. Rather than nitpick the fine points of the performance, I think the big accomplishment in the performance is not the performance itself, but just the moment of seeing Waters back with the band. Let's face it, bands rarely put on their best performances at these kinds of megaevents -- the scope and scale of the event itself typically overwhelm whatever weight an artist can give the music.

As for the coverage on MTV, it was pretty awful. Way too much talking over by ill-informed hosts, and really poor coverage all the way around considering that they had a live event going on. All they had to do was stick a few cameras around the event site, show the music, cut to commercial every now and then, and have the hosts introduce highlights and set pieces whenever they had a break on stage. They couldn't even get that right. It's almost like NBC loaned out a bunch of their Olympic producers, and schooled MTV on the art of how to botch "virtual live" coverage.

The coverage for the original Live Aid was also pretty hacked up (probably inevitable given that it was a fundraiser and plugs for donations were part of that event) and the idiotic chatter from the MTV VJs was pretty annoying on that day as well, but at least the coverage conveyed a sense of the event as it was unfolding. With the Live 8 coverage, I never picked up on the true scope and scale of the event because it was mostly commercials, recaps, and airhead VJs trying to tell us how big the event is, when all they had to do was shut up and let the event speak for itself.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcrim05

Hey, thanks!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I hope its not a one-time thing

Yeah, they were long in the tooth in some parts. No, it wasn't as polished and accomplished as a made-for-DVD effort. But I loved what it represented.

The sound quality did leave much to be desired. And its soooo hard to watch anything on MTV anymore because since they actually abandoned the music format in the nineties, they really have no one on staff that seems to know WTF they're talking about when it comes to music. MTV should change its name to Pop Culture Television and leave music coverage to a network that gives a crap about music.

Forum Regular
    Looks like you guys suffered with the MTV/VH1 crap coverage which was a shame.

Now the BBC did a decent job straight shots of the artists from start to finish with a bit of light entertainment in between and full coverage from about 12pm til midnight and beyond when they carried on in Philly. On the interactive version you could flip to other live shows too like Berlin, Tokyo etc. Long live the BBC still that's what we pay our licence fee for.

As for PF sure they looked long in the tooth but sounded good to me. Incidentally I was looking on Amazon the other day and guess who now features a lot in their best sellers chart - most of the PF collection.

Cheers
    Mike

Forum Regular
    If you have the gear or a chance to listen to DSOTM in SACD 5.1, it really does make it sound fresh all over again. Are there real plans to issue their other titles in SACD?

didn't see it "live"...

Quote Originally Posted by kingcrim05

....so I appreciate this k-crim . No surprises with the performance, those were textbook song selections for the masses (not complaining tho! )
    I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority, but personaly I'd like to see the boys leave it at this and not get back together for a tour. You know, 'remember them in their prime' kinda thing
    I wonder why they gave so little coverage to Rick Wright? I expected the cameras to stay mainly on Waters & Gilmour, but I think they only showed Wright for all of about 20 seconds!
    Ok, enough griping, it was great seeing Floyd back together!

P.S. anynoe else think Gilmour is ironically starting to look like a pig? Oooo that was mean, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority, but personaly I'd like to see the boys leave it at this and not get back together for a tour. You know, 'remember them in their prime' kinda thing
    No, I'm with you on this. I don't get all the guys that want them to tour and record together. As Shatner once said; "Move on. Get a liiiife!"

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    No, I'm with you on this. I don't get all the guys that want them to tour and record together. As Shatner once said; "Move on. Get a liiiife!"
    I'm also in agreement. While it was great to see them put aside their differences and do this gig. I wouldn't want to see them do the Pink Floyd reunion tour. Fifteen years ago... yeah, maybe. I think there comes a time when rock stars should call it a day and retire from touring. That time has come and gone for PF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information