Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: vinyl vs. CD

vinyl vs. CD

Would it be worth having a rave record section for cd and another for vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I thought the rave record section was for off-topic.

...kidding.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Nah, there's no conflict within the Rave Rec's section. Certainly no issues brought about by CD or vinyl, even though CD listeners are total chitheads. Joke, joke....if it ain't broke, don't fix it AA.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    if it ain't broke, don't fix it AA.
    That's it right there.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    RR has been it's own world from before I got here. While generally friendly, I can remember quite vividly the pounding I took from the locals when I gingerly moved an off topic thread to another forum. So unless you want to hear numerous and passionate dissertations about the mistake you've made by invading their world I would leave well enough alone.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    RR has been it's own world from before I got here. While generally friendly, I can remember quite vividly the pounding I took from the locals when I gingerly moved an off topic thread to another forum. So unless you want to hear numerous and passionate dissertations about the mistake you've made by invading their world I would leave well enough alone.
    Wow, I remember that. Have I been here that long............

LOL - I don't take internet poundings. Nor do I try to give them. But off topic is off topic.

I just wish I saved some of the PM's i got. You'ld think I had stolen their firstborn from the cradle!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Gee, I hope this isn't another attempt to boost postings here. I know a couple of you mods think we're too cliquish and we're inhospitpal to new posters but people can post whatever, whenever they want. No one I know of has been run off or told not to post anything. Even members who've been here a decade draw 0 responses every now and then. It is what it is. Posters shouldn't feel bad that no one else wants to discuss their personal fave musics - it happens. RR won't get more posters with a media specific music topic board.

Nah, there's no conflict within the Rave Rec's section. Certainly no issues brought about by CD or vinyl, even though CD listeners are total chitheads. Joke, joke....if it ain't broke, don't fix it AA.
    If they (whoever they are) wish to "improve" this website one more time, it may be the final straw, since each improvement seems to drive away a few more members. Maybe you haven't been here long enough to experience it, but fixing what ain't broke happens quite often here.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Most threads are about music quality, not recording quality anyway...though it does get mentioned.

I'd prefer leaving it the responsibility of the poster to identify if he/she is referring to CD, Vinyl, etc..and leave RR alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Gee, I hope this isn't another attempt to boost postings here. I know a couple of you mods think we're too cliquish and we're inhospitpal to new posters but people can post whatever, whenever they want. No one I know of has been run off or told not to post anything. Even members who've been here a decade draw 0 responses every now and then. It is what it is. Posters shouldn't feel bad that no one else wants to discuss their personal fave musics - it happens. RR won't get more posters with a media specific music topic board.

If they (whoever they are) wish to "improve" this website one more time, it may be the final straw, since each improvement seems to drive away a few more members. Maybe you haven't been here long enough to experience it, but fixing what ain't broke happens quite often here.
    Dude, read what you wrote to me. You say that there's no need to change anything, and then almost in the same breath chastise me for saying "if it ain't broke..." In case you couldn't tell, I think we are in agreement. Regardless of my time here, I could care less with what happens to the RR section, I have no stake in it, unlike yourself.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Adam, it seems to me that there is little enough traffic on this site these days. I think the way to increase posts might be to merge some of the topics rather than further dilute them. Just my two cents.

Rave Recs has generally been more about music. Any kind of music on any type of media. Whether the tunes are on CD, Vinyl, MP3, Blu-ray, 8-Track, or something else, doesn't matter. If someone wants to start a thread about a specific media they can. This was done recently with Blu-Ray and in the past with SACD.

I don't believe in doing things just because it's always been done that way. But in this case, the format that we have in the RR forum seems to be working for us.

Thanks for asking what we think before just diving in and making changes.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Most threads are about music quality, not recording quality anyway...though it does get mentioned.

I'd prefer leaving it the responsibility of the poster to identify if he/she is referring to CD, Vinyl, etc..and leave RR alone.
    What about 8-track!? I want a forum for my format of choice too!

Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Hey Geoff, I've seen those before. Panasonic Toaster/8-Track player w/ AM radio. 8-Track with your toast anybody??

I love this retro-modern design stuff from the 60's/70's. Those designers had style!

Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Yeah!

I agree with FA, if you want more activity, this place should have FEWER forums, not more.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I'll wont change anything.

As for the smartasses. Thanks for being true to the AudioREVIEW spirit!

Suspended

As far as I see it, the only way to improve this place and get more posts is to put the old software back where you could see the responses and know what posts you want to join in on and not have to read thru them all. But that will not be a happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    As far as I see it, the only way to improve this place and get more posts is to put the old software back where you could see the responses and know what posts you want to join in on and not have to read thru them all. But that will not be a happening.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand. It seems that is the way things are now?

You can select or deselect to follow threads and you can ignore people so you don't have to read their post if you don't want to.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. It seems that is the way things are now?

You can select or deselect to follow threads and you can ignore people so you don't have to read their post if you don't want to.
    Hyfi is referring to the software prior to VBulletin. You could see the subject line and author of each individual post and click only on the one that you wanted to read, instead of having to scroll through the whole thread. We lost a lot of regular contributors when we moved to VBulletin but I think that had more to do with slow load times than format.

If you want to see an example of the old format, go to www.audioasylum.com.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hyfi is referring to the software prior to VBulletin. You could see the subject line and author of each individual post and click only on the one that you wanted to read, instead of having to scroll through the whole thread. We lost a lot of regular contributors when we moved to VBulletin but I think that had more to do with slow load times than format.

If you want to see an example of the old format, go to www.audioasylum.com.
    I understand now. No, I don't see that in the future.

I really wish I could snap my fingers and the forums all things for all people. Heck I really wish we didn't have one engineer working on all the issue of consumerreview. But it is the way it at the moment. And like I said in another post, with the bigger sites getting 8million page views a month in the same lay of forums, versus the 200k a month in audioreview... we just don't have the numbers to get to the top of the list.

Gee, I hope this isn't another attempt to boost postings here. I know a couple of you mods think we're too cliquish and we're inhospitpal to new posters but people can post whatever, whenever they want. No one I know of has been run off or told not to post anything.
    Cliques run new posters off regardless of whether someone involved in the cliquish behavior says anything specific or not. The Rave Recordings forum is cliquish. Your unnamed mods are right.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Cliques run new posters off regardless of whether someone involved in the cliquish behavior says anything specific or not. The Rave Recordings forum is cliquish. Your unnamed mods are right.
    Not to get off-topic with helping Adam, but this clique thing has come up before. Many of us have been posting here for years. We've developed both on-line and off-line friendships. How do you keep that out of the forum?

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Dude, read what you wrote to me. You say that there's no need to change anything, and then almost in the same breath chastise me for saying "if it ain't broke..." In case you couldn't tell, I think we are in agreement. Regardless of my time here, I could care less with what happens to the RR section, I have no stake in it, unlike yourself.
    only the paragraph below your quote was addressing your post directly (somewhat indirectly), so sorry about the mixup - yes, we're in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by audionoob
    The Rave Recordings forum is cliquish. Your unnamed mods are right.
    What specific behavior suggests this is a clique? Have you ever been told not to post about a certain subject? What do you propose to do about it?
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Suspended
    I understand now. No, I don't see that in the future.

I really wish I could snap my fingers and the forums all things for all people. Heck I really wish we didn't have one engineer working on all the issue of consumerreview. But it is the way it at the moment. And like I said in another post, with the bigger sites getting 8million page views a month in the same lay of forums, versus the 200k a month in audioreview... we just don't have the numbers to get to the top of the list.
    I completely understand, but with so little traffic, why do I get Sever Busy many times a day if there is such low posting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information