Very Impressed with Neal Morse Demos

I recently purchased Neal Morse (Spock's Beard frontman) CD of Transatlantic demos. The man plays all of the instruments on the demos. He is just as good in the studio as the whole band together. Be it guitars, drums, keyboards, bass, the man is solid on each of them.

Of the seven tunes, five are recorded on his home DAT studio and two are cassette snippets. Of the five DAT, three are finished songs: Hanging in the Balance, which became Stranger In Your Soul; We All Need Some Light; and Bridge Across Forever.

The 22 minute demo of Full Moon Rising is a bit weaker, with strained vocals and la la la's inserted where lyrics still had to be written.

An interesting recording for Morse fans and Transatlantic fans.

Next up is SMPTe as mixed by Roine Stolt. I'll let you know what the difference is after I've done a comparison and a few listens.

These are available from Radiant Records in the U.S. Stolt's Hydrophonia solo album is also available again. It's completely instrumental, and sounds like early Flower Kings without vocals. There's nothing too way out here, but it should appeal to Flower King fans. Not a must have IMO.

Forum Regular

he's okay

I respect his talent but do not like his voice at all.

If he stuck to keyboards and let someone else sing then I might like his output more.

Have you heard any of the new Dream Theatre?

Dave

Dream Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    I respect his talent but do not like his voice at all.

If he stuck to keyboards and let someone else sing then I might like his output more.

Have you heard any of the new Dream Theatre?

Dave

I have the new disk somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. Last time I looked was just before they came to town back in the winter. I stopped looking after the concert.

Nice to see you spell Theatre the Canadian way.

Thread Information