Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    The main reason I picked that one is I have this bootleg (wouldn't ya know?) and he specifically says it's not about looking for astronauts! Other than that I have no specific insight or knowledge. It's probably my least favorite song by The National so I'm hopeful that there's something deeper there that continues to elude me. That obtusness gets me every single time.

jc
    Well, when I say it is about looking for astronauts, I don't mean that in the literal sense of a NASA advertisement, I mean that nothing is really more American than astronauts, not even apple pie. And to me it references the vision we had leading up to the moon shot in '69, a defined American course. Something totally lacking in the post-911 rudderless America. I was just trying to draw the analogy in the previous post that looking for astronauts means looking for America. That's all.

Mary Timony of Helium did a cool spacey song called "Aging Astronauts" on The Magic City album and there's a stripped down version on one of the Matador samplers that is also very cool. Probably not about astronauts either, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Hey, Snowie. I don't remember that discussion, but 'premonitory' does sound like something I would say.

To me, that song sounds like directionlessness and missed opportunities for success or happiness or even greatness, buried under the choking rubble of the mundane. And, ultimately, inertia.

But I'm probably just projecting again...
    The CD didn't come out before 911, but it was of course recorded well before and available online. There was a little discussion in the archives, but it's mainly between Mr MidFi and his best bud Mr MidFi ... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF89C3E.php ... could be more but that's all that readily turned up by Google for that song, except for some rudderless blabbering by some guy dbi ... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF8F617.php ...

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Well, when I say it is about looking for astronauts, I don't mean that in the literal sense of a NASA advertisement, I mean that nothing is really more American than astronauts, not even apple pie. And to me it references the vision we had leading up to the moon shot in '69, a defined American course. Something totally lacking in the post-911 rudderless America. I was just trying to draw the analogy in the previous post that looking for astronauts means looking for America. That's all.

Mary Timony of Helium did a cool spacey song called "Aging Astronauts" on The Magic City album and there's a stripped down version on one of the Matador samplers that is also very cool. Probably not about astronauts either, huh?
    Man, and I thought there was new slang for uppers. Yours makes more sense but mine is more fun (no smiley here, not gonna do it, just can't...)

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Man, and I thought there was new slang for uppers. Yours makes more sense but mine is more fun (no smiley here, not gonna do it, just can't...)

jc
    I don't know about the makes more sense part! He seems to be a very bitter, this Matt Berninger guy. Lots of it directed at women too, with the occasional vulgarity tossed in, including this song. He runs hot and cold like a rheostat, I mean a thermostat

Anyway, who knows what it really means? Maybe not even him.

Click!

Click, again!

42 Regular
    There was a little discussion in the archives, but it's mainly between Mr MidFi and his best bud Mr MidFi ...
    Ouch. True, but ouch.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

I was just thinking the other day about tracking down my review of that Wilco show. Man, that was a while ago.. how things can change of the course of a few years !

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    I was just thinking the other day about tracking down my review of that Wilco show. Man, that was a while ago.. how things can change of the course of a few years !

-jar
    Yeah, it's always fun to go to Google and type in "audioreview" and some band or album. We used to have some hellagood discussions around here that branched off into a bunch of great topics. Has anyone else noticed that I used to be a lot smarter too. I mean, not based on any of the threads below, just in general

Here's a few more YHF discussions that turned up when I searched yesterday ...

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF892EC.php

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF90720.php

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF905D0.php

Delta Bravo India still likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Radiohead v. Modest Mouse v. Wilco?

42 Regular
    Jeez, that's a preachy little screed I have in the first of Davey's stack o' links. I barely remember writing any of that.

Fun stuff...thanks, Davey.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Just a busy day and way too many Yes fans around these parts.
    Hey now! You used to be a Yesfan, too, once.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Probably no point in doing a fresh one, but got in a couple listens to that Mary Gauthier (Go-Shay) CD that tentoze and JD are so high on, and starting to come around for me too. Originally JD sent me a copy for consideration on the last CRS, and I did initially use his tune but then subsequently opted for a different CD since it just didn't seem to fit very well. Probably my mistake, maybe shoulda just gone for a different tune from that CD. Oh well, time is the revelator

Also spun another one high on the tentoze year end list, Al Kooper Black Coffee. Very nice CD. Don't know why the last listen left me a little cold, but this time it really started to click. Pretty nice recording too. Seems to go on forever, but some damn tasty music. Gonna listen to this one some more. Old geezer music

Also spun that Sunlandic Twins by Of Montreal that is so high on Stoney's list, but haven't quite made the transition on this one yet. Maybe won't since it kind of makes my head feel like it's being deformed a bit, but it is some pretty fun music ... in short bursts, that is

Listened to the latest from the Electrelane girls, and really have a lot of respect for it, but it just doesn't come togther asa satisfying whole for me. Too much stuff that feels kind of noodly and unfocused. Still, when they're good ... they're really good. Remember that line from Bowie's "The Candidate"? "When it's good, it's really good, and when it's bad I go to pieces."

And that new Silver Jews Tanglewood Numbers - really been liking that one. Lots of good songs that scratch some of my itches. Better than that damn ineffective fungal spray, anyway

So that's all I got for now.

Damn, you all by yrself in this one today, Davey? I guess I need to put that Silver Jews on my list. I only have one other of theirs, Starlite Walker I think. The new one got some dreadful initial reviews I read a couple of places that made me a bit dubious about pulling the trigger. Naturally, I agree with you about the Kooper- and the recording IS pretty darn good, at least on my Shahinians.

I stayed away from any new cd's the past week- been on a cheap vinyl scrounging binge that netted several old gems, but not much anyone would have any interest in, I suspect..
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Damn, you all by yrself in this one today, Davey?
    Yeah, been doing a lot of things by myself lately. Sometimes ya just gotta discipline the little monkey before things get out of hand. Hey wait, didn't I already use that joke in the George Michael thread? Like it really matters when I'm just talking to myself, eh Davey?

Hey, thanks for stopping by. That Al Kooper is some damn fine listening. I'll concede that on occasion you do know what you're talking about. Just don't get all cocky about it. Better yet, let's just forget I said cocky! What does cocky mean, again? I always confuse that word with sloshy for some reason

Not much the haps over at your other site either. Here it's been kinda like a neighborhood picnic at Love Canal back in the 80s. Not many takers. Did somebody spill something toxic around here, I mean besides some Rogue Wave

<blog>Just got home and popped the top on a creamy Bass Ale and got some Autolux plugged into the merry-go-round before we head out for a walk and then cook some steaks.</blog>

Hey, thanks for stopping by. That Al Kooper is some damn fine listening. I'll concede that on occasion you do know what you're talking about. Just don't get all cocky about it. Better yet, let's just forget I said cocky! What does cocky mean, again? I always confuse that word with sloshy for some reason
    Even a blind hog roots the occasional acorn. Sometimes, a little well done blue-eyed R&B can hit the spot. You and Cocky, errr.I mean Sloshy, can sort those other things out. I found the first 2 Biff Rose albums in a junk store this AM for fitty cent a piece- in NM condition-

"I Got You Covered"...
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Hey, no fair recycling the Tuesday thread...

Probably no point in doing a fresh one
    just to make it look like a really popular thread

geez

3LB

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I've been ...uh... like... listening to...uh...a lot of ...like...music?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

man with hole in pocket feels a little cocky all day

fortune cookie folklore
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

IN an unusual move for me, I've been listening to a lot of Rolling stones lately. While I get really sick of them these days abd wish they'd just quit already, I do still think they put out some great records in their prime. This week, I've listened to Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street and Let it Bleed. Sticky Fingers is probably my favorite...I love the song Dead Flowers.

Also been listening to a bunch of old industrial 12" records, Thrill Kill Kult's Kooler than Jesus, Front 242's Headhunter, NItzer Ebb's Join in the Chant and a few more.

Spun a really unusual compilation I hadn't played in a long time called Darker Skratcher, put out in the 80s by the LA Free Music Society, mostly avant garde noise and stuff like that.

Pulled out Joe Strummer's Streetcore and that one holds up really good to multiple listens.

Considering its been a while since I've posted to this thread...too much more to list, and I gotta run. Just thought I'd stop by.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information