Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Been wearing headphones to work, so tons and tons of stuff lately. 8 hours can fit a bunch of music, and I usually grab a couple MP3 discs with like 10 or so albums each on 'em to choose from. Too much to list right now...but some highlights include...

Desperate Teenage Lovedolls Soundtrack
    45 Grave: Sleep in Safety
    Superfly Soundtrack
    Agustus Pablo: Aquarius Dub
    Sly & Robbie in Dub
    Dicks: Kill From the Heart
    Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Beck: Guerro
    Lyrics Born: Same Sht, Different Day
    Gorillaz: Demon Days
    Jason & the Scorchers: Lost & Found

And, was over at my folks house and saw an old record I must have discarded ages ago as I barely remembered it. I'm actually listening to it right now for a little retro fun. Anyone remember this one...

I could imagine a few of you out there digging its synthetic sheen and breezy, poppy sound.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody

And, was over at my folks house and saw an old record I must have discarded ages ago as I barely remembered it. I'm actually listening to it right now for a little retro fun. Anyone remember this one...

I could imagine a few of you out there digging its synthetic sheen and breezy, poppy sound.
    I gots that one, alright. It's a pretty fun listen.

Nothing to crow about here again this week, and for a while..

I picked up Mountain Goats' most recent release, The Sunset Tree- only a couple of spins so far, and I like it, but get the same feeling I got after last year's MG release- it's good, but it sounds like every other MG album, to the point of being able to drop a song from one into another and not realize it.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Been wearing headphones to work, so tons and tons of stuff lately. 8 hours can fit a bunch of music, and I usually grab a couple MP3 discs with like 10 or so albums each on 'em to choose from. Too much to list right now...but some highlights include...

Desperate Teenage Lovedolls Soundtrack
    45 Grave: Sleep in Safety
    Superfly Soundtrack
    Agustus Pablo: Aquarius Dub
    Sly & Robbie in Dub
    Dicks: Kill From the Heart
    Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Beck: Guerro
    Lyrics Born: Same Sht, Different Day
    Gorillaz: Demon Days
    Jason & the Scorchers: Lost & Found

yep, that's in the pile of lps I've been digging through lately.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Yep, its that time again

I purchased, just yesterday, and have spent today listening to the following:

APC:13th Step - Yes, that is a very "in your face bass", and I like that way. So far, so good. I can see why some fans of older tooL would find it a bit trite, but I refer tooL's proggier style over their goth-metal style anyway.

Ayreon:The Universal Migrator Pts 1 & 2 - this is a specially priced two-disc set that was just re-released last year (both CDs were originally released in 2000) Boy, these guys aren't fooling around. I've heard a couple of these songs on a Troy comp (albeit, the weirder songs) Disc One is akin to ELO on acid (with an occasional 'hit' of ether). Very keyboard driven, very neo-prog, but very well done, which is kind of a miracle considering the cast of hundreds (guests) employed to make this album. Disc Two is a throwback to '80s metal, but in a good way. Its like, what if Jeff Wayne produced an Iron Maiden album...or like, what if Glass Hammer or IQ had balls. I will definately be looking into more from this group. BTW: I picked this up at CC of all places, for $13.99us...a steal!

Also, I have through the course of a week, borrowed and listened to the following:

Soilwork:Stabbing The Drama - I mentioned this one last week. It won't supplant Opeth as far as my heavy metal jones goes, but it is, as they say, a grower.

Laguna Coil:Comalies - only a few tracks actually, but what I heard piqued my interests...I may be in the hunt for these guys next...but is Comalies the best starting point? hhmmm?

Well? Is it?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Glad you liked the Ayreon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Laguna Coil:Comalies - only a few tracks actually, but what I heard piqued my interests...I may be in the hunt for these guys next...but is Comalies the best starting point? hhmmm?

Well? Is it?
    First of all, it's Lacuna Coil.

Comalies is a good a place to start as any, but my favourite is Unleashed Memories (try to find the version with Halflife on it).

Then there's In A Reverie (which is my 2nd favourite), and that's pretty much it, for now, in terms of albums.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Glad you liked the Ayreon.
    Me too! I'm tired of waisting money.

my favourite is Unleashed Memories (try to find the version with Halflife on it).
    Why?

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie
    Ooh, that's a good one, huh? Do you know their debut? Asleep In The Back? Great band. One of the best in the last few years. The new one really started to come together for me after about three listens, and now the glow just gets a little brighter with each listen. Really draws me back for more. Lots of depth to the songs, and lots of complexity to explore. Still lots of that Peter Gabriel "Red Rain" sound that I think most people like too from the first one. The new British Sea Power is pretty nice too.
    This is my first experience with Elbow. Some of the folks around here were raving about it so I put it in a listening station at the CD store. It sounded kinda interesting so I threw it on the 'keep' pile and brought it home. I've since spun it three or four times and am liking it better with each spin.

I'd like to get the new BSP also, but I missed my chance at getting it on the cheap when it was released and now it's kind of pricey. I'll pick it up eventually, but it's hard to buy one CD at $20+ when you can get two cheapers ones for the same money.

I know, I know, quality not quantity. But isn't it devine when you can get both!

Anyone remember this one...

Is that the one with "Cool Places" on it?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Comalies is a good a place to start as any, but my favourite is Unleashed Memories (try to find the version with Halflife on it).
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Why?
    More music, that's the only reason. If you, like I, end up falling in love with them, it's one less EP you will have to acquire.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    This is my first experience with Elbow. Some of the folks around here were raving about it so I put it in a listening station at the CD store. It sounded kinda interesting so I threw it on the 'keep' pile and brought it home. I've since spun it three or four times and am liking it better with each spin.
    Yea, you're in for a treat then with the debut. A little more rocking and melancholy. Really nice and something to look forward to on down the line after you get the hankerin for some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by SameAutumn
    I'd like to get the new BSP also, but I missed my chance at getting it on the cheap when it was released and now it's kind of pricey. I'll pick it up eventually, but it's hard to buy one CD at $20+ when you can get two cheapers ones for the same money.
    Yea, I hear ya again. Hard for me to pluck down more than about $13 of virtual cash for CDs nowadays since they are so readily available for that or less online in the US. Big British CDs like BSP are available at cd-wow for pretty good international prices since they are postpaid, but still usually cheaper here unless it isn't released yet. For instance, Open Season is about 18 CAD to your door, but sounds like you prefer to buy locally, which is cool. Lots on ebay too, but sometimes those shipping cost'll kill ya. Do you ever buy from ebay Canada? For some reason the new one has a much higher list price than the debut. The used shops will probably have a few before long too...

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie
    Yea, you're in for a treat then with the debut. A little more rocking and melancholy. Really nice and something to look forward to on down the line after you get the hankerin for some more.

Yea, I hear ya again. Hard for me to pluck down more than about $13 of virtual cash for CDs nowadays since they are so readily available for that or less online in the US. Big British CDs like BSP are available at cd-wow for pretty good international prices since they are postpaid, but still usually cheaper here unless it isn't released yet. For instance, Open Season is about 18 CAD to your door, but sounds like you prefer to buy locally, which is cool. Lots on ebay too, but sometimes those shipping cost'll kill ya. Do you ever buy from ebay Canada? For some reason the new one has a much higher list price than the debut. The used shops will probably have a few before long too...
    Hey, thanks for the CD-Wow post. I went ahead and ordered that Editors CD from there. Local joints want 25 bucks to order it in and I got it for 16. More than I wanted to spend and I'm sure there's somewhere that has it for a little less but this works.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Hey, thanks for the CD-Wow post. I went ahead and ordered that Editors CD from there. Local joints want 25 bucks to order it in and I got it for 16. More than I wanted to spend and I'm sure there's somewhere that has it for a little less but this works.

jc
    Hey no prob, I shoulda mentioned that there's always $2 discount codes floating around and I've posted some in the past as my alter ego, Davey Bones, but tough cookies for you fast movers.

For others with more patience, just search for cd-wow discount. Foe example, here's one that still looks good for $2 off ... http://www3.cd-wow.us/promotion.php?..._1&affid=14282 that'll get you that Editors CD for $13.95

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Is that the one with "Cool Places" on it?
    why yes it is

ms wieldin makes that and another appearences on this one

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Hey, Mike.

How are you liking Frances the Mute??

Btw., First Willie Nelson puts out a reggae album and now Sinead - What's this world coming to?? Leonard Cohen doen's have a reggae album, yet, does he? heh, heh,....

Oh,yeah. That Beadouin Soundclash -- any good?

Cheers,
    Bill
    Hi Bill, there's patches of Mars Volta I really like and some not so I'm persisting with it.

As for Willie Nelson I've never been a fan but I did see a reference to his reggae album after reading a review of Sinead's. Someone else you wouldn't expect who I can't remember has also done a reggae type album.

And the Bedouin's did I not include it in our last batch? I meant to, if not chalk it up for next time. I really like it especially the first half of the album. It's got some great vocals, easy on the ear reggae sounds and an excellent production with plenty of bouncy bass just when it needs it.

Cheers
    Mike

LOTW: Rob Dickinson, Fresh Wine for the Horses -- very Catherine Wheel. "Handsome" slays, but it's not the only gold on there. Contender for album of the year.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

LOTW: Rob Dickinson, Fresh Wine for the Horses -- very Catherine Wheel. "Handsome" slays, but it's not the only gold on there. Contender for album of the year.
    Wow, hadn't heard about that one. Goofy title. Is it very CW in the early or late sense? I'm not that big a fan of the latter (or later). Who's the band? And yea, I do know how google works

Even goofier cover (I love it, though -- perhaps it should be called fresh horses for the water):

More like latter -- don't know who the band is (you have my permission to google), except I remember reading that some of CW guest on a song or two.

It is different, though. Worth hearing. Ranges the gamut from poppy ("My Name Is Love", "Handsome") to delicate ("The Night", "Mutineer") to atmospheric ("Bad Beauty", "Towering and Flowering").

Highly recommended. I just put it back on while responding to this post. Only US$5 used on amazon.com.

PS I call 'dibs' on "Handsome" for a future compilation.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Highly recommended. I just put it back on while responding to this post. Only US$5 used on amazon.com.

PS I call 'dibs' on "Handsome" for a future compilation.
    Wow, $5 eh?. I'll have to give a track or two a listen. Thanks for the comments. That is a goofy cover! Bet it has inane lyrics too, huh? That's one of my biggest problems with the later stuff. I know, I know, you don't even hear them most of the time. Are you gonna keep listening to it, or is it just a one week and then move on type of thing? What else is high on your year end list right now? Still about the same as when you posted it at obner? Man, that British Sea Power has been steadily climbing up my favorites. Right near the top now. Sounds good all the time. Something I can live with for days on end. Never would've suspected I'd be saying this after the frst coupla listens, but now I think it's just amazing. Perfect almost. Fantastic ebb and flow ... and the shimmer, love the shimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Hi Bill, there's patches of Mars Volta I really like and some not so I'm persisting with it.

As for Willie Nelson I've never been a fan but I did see a reference to his reggae album after reading a review of Sinead's. Someone else you wouldn't expect who I can't remember has also done a reggae type album.

And the Bedouin's did I not include it in our last batch? I meant to, if not chalk it up for next time. I really like it especially the first half of the album. It's got some great vocals, easy on the ear reggae sounds and an excellent production with plenty of bouncy bass just when it needs it.

Cheers
    Mike
    Thanks for the quick notes on Bedouin. Next batch, for sure.
    Cheers, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn

I know, I know, quality not quantity. But isn't it devine when you can get both!
    You'll also like "asleep at the back" by Elbow, FA.

I saw them a couple of years ago, with South opening for them. South blew them away. Not to say that Elbow wasn't very good, just not as dynamic as their opener. I still call Elbow a studio band.

Fwiw,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    That is a goofy cover! Bet it has inane lyrics too, huh?
    Wouldn't know. I don't even hear them most of the time.
    I know, I know, you don't even hear them most of the time.
    (ahem) Actually, I did catch a couple lines in Handsome: "I follow mudslides in my head" stands out as quite memorable. Also, the first line of one of the songs is "Chrome never fails", which I found amusing. Some of the lyrics you wouldn't like (I don't think you'd like "The Night"), but "Handsome" is perfectly fine.
    Are you gonna keep listening to it, or is it just a one week and then move on type of thing?
    Well, it's actually into its second or third week, I think. Who knows? Yeah, I might burn myself out on it. Ask me again in January.
    What else is high on your year end list right now? Still about the same as when you posted it at obner?
    Yeah, pretty much. No runaway favourites. Still a whole bunch I haven't picked up. Black Mountain stands out. I need to listen to the Sigur Ros more -- I've only heard it a couple times. Super/System's Always Never Again is another contender, as is John Vanderslice, Pixel Revolt (you'd like that one, I think). Is the LCD Soundsystem 2005? If so, there's my top 5 right there, I think.
    Man, that British Sea Power has been steadily climbing up my favorites. Right near the top now.
    See, that would be one I'd like to hear.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Black Mountain stands out. I need to listen to the Sigur Ros more -- I've only heard it a couple times. Super/System's Always Never Again is another contender, as is John Vanderslice, Pixel Revolt (you'd like that one, I think). Is the LCD Soundsystem 2005? If so, there's my top 5 right there, I think.See, that would be one I'd like to hear.
    Hey thanks, nice post. I do probably need to hear that Vanderslice rec sometime. He's a fungi. That Black Mountain was knocking me out again last week. Listened a lot. I'm finding that immersion is the best way to music nirvana. Very good album. Shoulda gotten lots more kudos. Not my favorite this year, but lately I've been thinking it's better than I thought, and I already thought it was pretty darn good. Just wanted to try and keep my aging classic rock retro persona in check, but now it's out. Seems to be the year of the grower for me. Maybe my attention span has just been shrinking as I approach twilight, but there's been a few recs I almost gave up on that are now favorites. Maybe the magic in music is just getting more elusive as artists try and find their own voice among the echoes of the past masters. Sure would be hard to find your own unique musical muse these days. British Sea Power are the real deal. You do need to hear it. Lots of beautiful guitars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information