Tunesday Rotation (late edition)

Light week for me...

Frank Zappa - Them Or Us
    Frank Zappa - Civilization Phaze III
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Step
    Frank Zappa - The Lost Episodes
    Paul Weller
    Kraftwerk - Trans-Europa Express (German version)

How 'bout youse?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tunesday Rotation (late edition)-list.jpg  

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Never got as far into Zappa as some of you, mostly just the more well trodden path, couple from the 60s, couple from the 70s, probably ending with Sheik Yerbouti. Leaves me with a lot to explore one of these days, though going by what I listen to these days ... that time may have passed me by on a one way trip. Civilization Phaze III, eh? Kind of a silly title, but guess he wasn't around to see that one. Or maybe that was the name he wanted.

Tuesday come Wednesday, but the song remains the same. Just got the new Neko Case and Animal Collective, but haven't listened to either yet. Instead, listened a couple times to Journey to the End of the Night by Mekons, a big favorite from almost 10 years ago now. And that recent Dodos Visiter record that I talked about in the recent Dodos thread, that's been pretty addictive the last few weeks. And kinda forgot how much I love Bjork, and especially the first side of Homogenic. Been playing that whole record a lot lately. And times like this morning were made for Brian Eno On Land, which I've found myself listening to on a lot of mornings like this. And a very old favorite from the way back machine, Give Me Take You by Duncan Browne. Kind of got lost in the late 60s explosion, but a wondrous debut, and I've always loved it for that. Heard it might finally get reissued this year.

Oh yea, and lots of Arcade Fire. Just got Neon Bible, so been listening to that a lot, and of course that led to pulling out Funeral, and now I'm gonna have a hard time moving on. But in the meantime, while I realy liked it from hello, I mighta dismissed some of the fawning over Funeral at the time as over exuberance by 20-somethings that never heard first-hand any truly visionary music they could call their own, but hey, I mighta been wrong too
    Last edited by Monkey Bones; 03-04-2009 at 11:35 AM.
    Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

I'll play...

Light month over here and the anticipation of getting the big rig out of mothballs is, among other things, starting to chafe.

I've delved into the metal scene a bit as of late, more out the distraction of social obligation and boredom than anything else, but this week I've come back home. Some wander by mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    And times like this morning were made for Brian Eno On Land...
    Let me guess.

Foggy. Right?

42 Regular
    A steady rotation of my latest well-gotten gains...

The new Animal Collective (very trippy, me likey)
    The new U2 (no opinion yet, but some interesting soundscapes)
    The new Neko Case (sounds a lot like Neko Case, who I like a lot)
    The new Steven Wilson solo disc (very dynamic...gonna need a few more listens...1st track is flat-out awesome)
    The "new" Rush retrospective ('89 thru '08...a pretty good collection, actually)

Plus 3 other recent ceedee acquisitions...
    Cowboy Junkies -- Black Eyed Man (swell)
    Instant Karma, 2-disc John Lennon tribute (hit & miss)
    Dire Straits -- Brothers In Arms (replacing old cassette)

NP: The Ramones: "I'm Against It"
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

sunshine came softly Monkey Bones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    Let me guess.

Foggy. Right?
    Dark gray and rainy, alternating with brilliant sparkles of sunshine as the occasional (and very short-lived) cloud-filled blue holes pass over. Eno really captured what the best ambient music is all about on this one, like a painting you can get lost in over and over, amazing imagery. As the port at Dunwich Beach finally erodes away into the sea... I remember Eno talking at one point about how some of his compositions came from gauzy youthful memories he had of places, maybe just imaginings of places. But yea, there would be lots of fog in those English memories....

Here comes midnight, with the dead moon in its jaw ...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    It's been all about shaking off the blues this week...

Augie March – Moo, You Bloody Choir

More of Elbow’s Seldom Seen Kid. I just found out that they’re opening for Coldplay this summer. I may just have to go to that show.

Some assorted Bowie songs on shuffle

Fleet Foxes

Joel Plaskett Emergency – Make a Little Noise (ep)

Melissa McClelland – Thumbelina’s One Night Stand

Pink Floyd – Meddle and Wish You Were Here

Rose Cousins – If You Were For Me

Scissor Sisters

The Trews – House of Ill Fame

And if we run this Tuesday thread over into Wednesday, I received a lovely little package from Amazon yesterday, so I’ve also been spinning:

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss – Raising Sand
    Foxboro Hot Tubs – Stop, Drop and Roll (anyone else notice that these guys sound an awful lot like Green Day? )
    Andrew Bird – Noble Beast. I’m really looking forward to finally seeing a live Bird in April. Just in time for migration. Hehe.

Mostly Jeff Rutili and Rob Crow related stuff for me this week. . . .

Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    Let me guess.

Foggy. Right?
    The sun went down and the ground started sort of grinding
    A blinding light tore across the sky
    A cyclone swept the landscape out
    and left it completely flattened out
    And several twirls of smoke unfolded like gigantic flowers

The way the morning broke was quite unusual

I should have wakened up at once,
    but this was no concern of mine,
    so I kept on dreaming

My eyes roamed over the burning ruins

In less time than it takes to tell

And I felt like
    And I felt like being numbed,
    I felt like mesmerized

The way the morning broke was quite unusual
    More than words can say

In less time than it takes to tell

Foggy like a hookah, I'd imagine...

Today's random shuffle playlist. It's just the last couple hours worth:

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Bones
    I remember Eno talking at one point about how some of his compositions came from gauzy youthful memories he had of places, maybe just imaginings of places.
    I remember Eno talking specifically about how On Land was intended to evoke powerful memories of just that sort. The interviewer pointed out that most people associated their past with bad emotions but Eno countered that it didn't necessarily have to be thought of in that manner, that a lot of strength could be drawn from the past.

I've noticed that Suffolk (where Dunwich is located) and Essex just to the south have produced some moody works of art over the years. J.G. Ballard is from Essex and is probably a close literary equivalent to Brian Eno (although I think Eno is from Wales). Ballard is also sort of moody and ambient yet very powerful. On a non-foggy note, I specifically think of Eno's Possible Musics album w/ Jon Hassell as the soundtrack to Ballard's Vermillion Sands stories. Instead of a fog enshrouded beach, think of a desert resort where the protagonist gets involved in a series of episodes at a house or location, each involving an art project of some type and a beautiful "lost woman". Those are the recurring themes in Vermillion Sands and Eno would be a perfect soundtrack. I could direct a series for HBO with Troy designing the houses and lose millions. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Today's random shuffle playlist. It's just the last couple hours worth:
    Ah, The Tarleks. A Rheostatics classic (even if it is only a few years old). Great tune!

Holy crap...The Tarleks? First time listen for me...and FA's right, what a great fuckin great tune!

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Holy crap...The Tarleks? First time listen for me...and FA's right, what a great fuckin great tune!
    By a great fuckin great band! A staple of Canadian pop culture. I'm surprised that more people on this site aren't into this band. Their last (and final) album, 2067, was excellent. They disbanded shortly after it's release. It was a sad, sad day.

Only Two...

1. "Throw Down Your Arms" - Sinead O'Conner.

2. "It's Afrolistic" - Jocamo.

Don't look for the second one it's our current album we're just finishing up post production on.

Dave

This week, not much new from last...

A little of the new Animal Collective,
    Tokyo Police Club
    Metric
    No Doubt
    Metallica (ride the lightning)
    Incubus
    Metro Station
    Notrious Big
    The Clash, rock the Casbah
    Kevin Rudolph, In the City
    Van Halen, 1984
    Don't you like it on the sly? Don't you like it till it hurts? Have I been on your mind? What's a voice without a song?

Thread Information