Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tuesday show-n-tell time once again...

I've been delving into the uber-heavy side of metal lately. Along with the usual Opeth albums, I've ventured into some dark stuff as of late....

Mastadon:Laviathon - I'll need more time with this one, much more. For a conceptual piece based on well known classic literature, it sure is hard to follow, what with the hardcore vocalization and near-death (but not quite) metal growl. Too much of the songs have a sameness to them.

Lacuna Coil: In A Reverie // Unleashed Memories // Comalies - I'm not blown away by these guys. They show so much promise, but they just aren't quite there yet. I do like the vocal interplay of both female and male lead singers, if only the male lead was as good as the female. She's the real deal, he's a poser. The writing is spotty, the playing is good, but not great. I think if I gave some thought and effort, I could make a good 79 minute comp out of these three and a half albums (UnleashedMemories has the Halflife EP tacked-on as a bonus).

Ayreon:The Universal Migrator Pts 1 & 2 - I can't stop playing disc one, but I'm glad that I found the re-issue with both Pts 1 & 2, because I would have felt disappointed paying full price for disc two (Flight Of The Universal Migrator). Not that its a bad album, but because it just pales in comparison to the first disc (The Dream Sequencer). So tell me...which of these two discs is most representative of other Aryeon albums?

and from the 'something borrowed' department:

Soilwork:Stabbing The Drama - I think one deathmetal band in my collection is enough for a while; while these guys are ok, they don't bring as much to the table as Opeth does. This is a band I'll look for in the 'used' section.

Killswitch Engage:End Of Heartache - same here

I've heard that Soilwork's Figure #5 is better than their latest, maybe I'll find out next week.

I showed you mine, now show me yours.

My Meager Rotation

Todd - I remember when I used to could recognize bands from your Tuesday list. Now it's like Greek or something. Who are these bands?

Los Lobos - Live Across America

Jerry Garcia & David Grisman - Not For Kids Only

Kathleen Edwards - Back To Me

Willard Grant Conspiracy - Regard The End

Mike's Excellent WGC comp

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

Charlie Daniels Band - Million Mile Reflection (on vinyl)

And some early Dan Fogelberg on vinyl - Souveniers, and Nether Lands. I'd forgotten how good some of his early work was. Excellent voice. And a good supporting cast as well: Joe Walsh, Don Henley, Glen Frey, Graham Nash.

Dats all I can remember.

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

Forum Regular
    Just got The Arcade Fire's untitled debut- seems alright though not quite Funeral
    Dusted off a couple of Elliott Smith disks- the late modern folk master
    It has been a slow week for listening to good stuff

Forum Regular

Soilwork

You need to listen to Natural Born Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    I've been delving into the uber-heavy side of metal lately. Along with the usual Opeth albums, I've ventured into some dark stuff as of late....

Mastadon:Laviathon - I'll need more time with this one, much more. For a conceptual piece based on well known classic literature, it sure is hard to follow, what with the hardcore vocalization and near-death (but not quite) metal growl. Too much of the songs have a sameness to them.

Lacuna Coil: In A Reverie // Unleashed Memories // Comalies - I'm not blown away by these guys. They show so much promise, but they just aren't quite there yet. I do like the vocal interplay of both female and male lead singers, if only the male lead was as good as the female. She's the real deal, he's a poser. The writing is spotty, the playing is good, but not great. I think if I gave some thought and effort, I could make a good 79 minute comp out of these three and a half albums (UnleashedMemories has the Halflife EP tacked-on as a bonus).

Ayreon:The Universal Migrator Pts 1 & 2 - I can't stop playing disc one, but I'm glad that I found the re-issue with both Pts 1 & 2, because I would have felt disappointed paying full price for disc two (Flight Of The Universal Migrator). Not that its a bad album, but because it just pales in comparison to the first disc (The Dream Sequencer). So tell me...which of these two discs is most representative of other Aryeon albums?

Soilwork:Stabbing The Drama - I think one deathmetal band in my collection is enough for a while; while these guys are ok, they don't bring as much to the table as Opeth does. This is a band I'll look for in the 'used' section.

I've heard that Soilwork's Figure #5 is better than their latest, maybe I'll find out next week.

A few hours of iPod on Shuffle running thru the computer, thru the old Kenwood in the office, thru the thumpy bookshelf speakers in my 10x10 office:

Glad It's Over- 12 Rods
    People- Journey
    Coming Like Light- IZZ
    Beauty Secrets- Be Bop Deluxe
    Hello Skinny- The Residents
    Tequila (cover) Tony Levin
    Swingin' the Ax- Echolyn
    Flora Majora- Flower Kings
    You Should Know Me By Now- Scott Jacks
    The View From Here- Random Hold
    The Dapper Bandits- Estradasphere
    Holiday Inn- Elton John
    Hurricane- The Cardiacs
    Shine- The Wondermints
    Piccasso's Last Words- Wings
    Smiling, Not Drowning- Porcupine Tree
    Hello Sandy Allen- Split Enz
    The Fez- Steely Dan
    Black Cowboys ont he BEach- Yazbek
    Teh Road Leads Where it's Led- Secret Machines
    Headroom- 10cc
    Backwards Deb- Mike Keneally
    Racing in A- Steve Hackett
    White Rhino Tea- Ozric Tentacles
    Astroboy- The Buggles
    Perpetual Change- Yes
    Fixing a Hole- the Beatles
    The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging

I DO love this SO much!

Forum Regular

Since you're on a metal kick lately

Check out Icarus Witch. The new one called "Capture The Magic" is old school metal. Priest, Maiden, Sabbath like. They even do Sabbath's S.A.T.O. with George Lynch on guitar. This is a damn good cd, check it out

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    A few hours of iPod on Shuffle running thru the computer, thru the old Kenwood in the office, thru the thumpy bookshelf speakers in my 10x10 office...
    ...I DO love this SO much!
    Oh, hell yes. It's hard for me to communicate to people how cool this is. You have to experience it for yourself.

All day, every day. Over 3,000 songs on board (so far). Literally weeks of great music, without hearing the same track twice, and without lifting a finger. Combinations and sequences you would never have dreamed of in a million years.

Embrace the random.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Unfortunately, both. They do have a tendency to stretch out and wank. Sometimes, it's a good thing, and sometimes it's bad. Practically all their albums could do with a bit of editing down a bit.

You should get the haunted house one, too, the one with Fish on it. But find a copy of Human Equation first. I mean, just look at how that album's doing on last.fm compared to anything else they've done.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Nothing new for me, seen one of my posts, ya seen em all. I did spin a comp a few times that I made to leave on the bus like Snowie does, but I don't ride the bus, so I left a couple copies laying on top of the newspaper machine outside the grocery store. Went back a couple days later and they were both still there, kinda dusty and splattered with bird poo. So I left em. Gonna leave a couple more anonymously on the coffee and snack table at work. See if somebody takes em. People bring in a big box of tomatos and they're gone before lunch. So I made a cover with a big picture of a tomato. I'll keep you posted ...

Watch My Back
    1. David Kilgour & The Heavy Eights - Chop Me In ½
    2. Sue Garner and Rick Brown - I Like the Name Alice
    3. Laika - Prairie Dog
    4. Arto Lindsay - Gods Are Weak
    5. The Black Heart Procession - Why I Stay
    6. Flaming Stars - Cash 22
    7. Califone - Bottles And Bones (Shade & Sympathy)
    8. Willard Grant Conspiracy - The Ghost Of The Girl In The Well
    9. Tindersticks - City Sickness
    10. Mark Lanegan Band - Hit the City
    11. Modest Mouse - Heart Cooks Brain
    12. Girls Against Boys - Wilmington
    13. Enon - Natural Disasters
    14. Richard Davies - Confederate Cheerio Call
    15. Wheat - Body Talk
    16. Yo La Tengo - Blue Line Swinger

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Watch My Back
    5. The Black Heart Procession - Why I Stay
    7. Califone - Bottles And Bones (Shade & Sympathy)
    11. Modest Mouse - Heart Cooks Brain
    13. Enon - Natural Disasters
    14. Richard Davies - Confederate Cheerio Call
    16. Yo La Tengo - Blue Line Swinger
    There are other songs on all these albums, ya know. ;P

NP: Rogue Wave - Descended Like Vultures
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail of Slosh
    There are other songs on all these albums, ya know. ;P
    Huh? I only download the singles. You still listen to albums, Retroman? Besides, it was intended as my own interpretation of the "meta comp for strangers on the bus" concept of the comp, not for you, just some songs that had made recent appearances on my own comptus maximus erectus. If it ain't broke, why even think about it?

Besides, it was intended as my own interpretation of the "meta comp for strangers on the bus" concept of the comp, not for you, just some songs that had made recent appearances on my own comptus maximus erectus. If it ain't broke, why even think about it?
    And you're telling me this because . . . ?

~Slosh - weird cologne and magic hair
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh Bag
    And you're telling me this because . . . ?

~Slosh - weird smell and monkey hair
    Sadly, I'm telling you because you're the only one who listens. You do listen, right?

Nothing new for me, seen one of my posts, ya seen em all. I did spin a comp a few times that I made to leave on the bus like Snowie does, but I don't ride the bus, so I left a couple copies laying on top of the newspaper machine outside the grocery store. Went back a couple days later and they were both still there, kinda dusty and splattered with bird poo. So I left em. Gonna leave a couple more anonymously on the coffee and snack table at work. See if somebody takes em. People bring in a big box of tomatos and they're gone before lunch. So I made a cover with a big picture of a tomato. I'll keep you posted ...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I would have typed ROTFLMAO, but I so rarely do that in real life.

I'd be happy to take one of them stinkers off your hands, Sugarbear. But just out of curiosity....

That tracklist smells suspiciously like a "Introduction to Alternative Music" compilation for newbies. Anything you want to share with us???

Oh, and throw in a couple of tomatoes while you're at it, willya? We've already had our first frost up here.

Sugarbuns

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    I would have typed ROTFLMAO, but I so rarely do that in real life.
    Yea, me neither. Well, I mean only at home on the carpet. Or outside on the lawn if there aren't many people around. But never in a public restroom. No way.

PS: Haven't you heard all that comp already

PS: Can I ship produce over the border using media mail?

PS: What do I declare as the value?

Anything you want to share with us???
    I was gonna ask you the same thing about your new avatar, but thought I'd mull it over for awhile. you know, sleep on it. Then I'll ask ...

Ya ever feel bad when you and Slosh goof off on threads like this? Probably drives people away that really have something important to say, huh? Maybe that's why this thread only has a handful of responses? Maybe you and Slosh should be more considerate of others in the future. Whaddaya say to that?
    Last edited by Davey; 11-01-2005 at 03:55 PM.

Sorry, I kinda lost my shoes and lost my mind and smashed my phone upon a fallen pine.

Strange days in mmmmusic

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

Antony & The Jonsons - I Am A Bird Now

LCD Soundsystem - s/t

Blur - Parklife

Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast

Rest of my musical time has been spent getting acquainted with my iPod. Still in the honeymoon stage. Love is bliss.

audiobill

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh Holly?
    Sorry, I kinda lost my shoes and lost my mind and smashed my phone upon a fallen pine.
    Isn't that what happened to a girl in the song, Holly? Between your gender bender fantasies and the adventures of Stoney the cross-dressing slut, this place is turning into a freakin' freak show. Strangely, I'm starting to feel like I finally fit in ...

Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    Todd - I remember when I used to could recognize bands from your Tuesday list. Now it's like Greek or something. Who are these bands?
    Not Greek. Further north...Scandenavian Country (progressive metal to the rest of us) . Maybe its a mid-life thing, I dunno, but my tastes in music has shifted a bit since my first visits to this board oh so long ago. But, I feel good about it. Blues oriented rock is but a speck in my rearview mirror now. Although I still dabble from time to time with non-prog, mainstream music just doesn't float my boat anymore. Things can change though...I never close the book on any kind of music.

So much music, so little time.

Happy Ears!

3LB

Rave of the week: The SubSonics--A Lot To Forget. I think this is from last year? Best rock'n'roll rec I've heard in weeks. But then there was this album by The Contrast--Forget To Tell The Time. Liked that one quite a bit, also. Let's see...

The Darkness--Permission To Land. What the hell. I find this entertaining.
    Ike Turner & the Kings Of Rhythm--Here And Now and also Jay McShann--Goin' To Kansas City; both are, unfortunately, duds.
    Can't remember if I posted about not liking these NPR issues of Marian McPartland, one was a birthday show with tons of guests from a few years ago, another a sit-down & listen with Oscar Peterson from like 1990. Both were...not that great. Tedious, and difficult to listen to due to the ravages of age, which is not something that I hear with Dave Brubeck's London Flat, London Sharp. But there's this Duke Ellington rec that came out with a somewhat obscure 1957 session for Bethlehem records. Very good...has a tune I've been familiar with for many years, the sublime 'Day Dream.' Never knew where that came from. This is Ellington doing standards, and while not as notable as his earlier stuff or as curiously interesting as, say, Far East Suite, it's a nice, pleasant listen.

Bing Crosby--Bing With A Beat? Weak, some okay moments, but maybe I had higher expectations than I should've...

Junior Brown--Live At The Continental Club. Certainly not bad, but nowhere near as good as last year's Down Home Chrome.

A couple of Sundazed issues of early or mid-60s instros--The Arrows' Apache '65, and the Belairs. Only for fanatics.

A couple I just got but haven't had time to get to yet, but am looking forward to--the Misfits' Project 1950, a covers album...the other one I'm looking forward to much more, actually, because I figure it's probably better--the Asylum Street Spankers, My Favorite Record.

Should I be surprised that I liked a Verve Pipe rec better than a Powderfinger rec? I knew nothing about either band. Then there was a halfway decent rec by Make Believe. Can't remember what the album was. Fairly typical current postpunk, but not bad.

Haven't heard the Franz Ferdinand yet, though I probably will sooner or later. The one I'm looking forward to far more, though, is the new My Morning Jacket, which I do hope to have a copy of soon.

Oh, yeah--a GREAT Wailers-related collection. I haven't spun any reggae in awhile. This is called "Wailers And Friends" and consists of tunes from sessions where the Wailers were guest or featured vocalists. Wow, great stuff.

Tried to listen to a Schoolly D record of recent vintage...well, he never was all that good, was he? A real good single here or there, but mostly third-rate, as I remember. Oh, well. It inspired me to go back & give a listen to Public Enemy's Fear Of A Black Planet. Which many seem to feel is their best album, yet it's the one I know the least. By the time I got it...well, my wife bought it for me 10 years ago...I'd reached the point where I just didn't listen to all that much rap anymore. I don't know, I definitely prefer the first two. And there's a funky vibe that I hear more on the 1st rec & the 4th that I don't hear as much here...but I do feel like I haven't ever spun this one enuf. Soon...

The 'best 2005 releases' thread led me to spin Guero, which I hadn't listened to in weeks. It didn't sound any worse. But then I did try to listen to a Lydia Lunch/Exene collaboration from 1985 that DMK sent me. That, was...worse. He also sent me a couple of Golden Palominos recs...a band that I definitely missed out on, and the one record I had heard didn't do anything for me. Gave 'A Dead Horse' a spin, & while uneven, there were some moments I thought real good; tomorrow I'll try to get around to Visions Of Excess, the one I'd always read about being so good.

Another good r'n'r rec, the Forty-Fives, High Life High Volume. Very decent garage rock.

k.d. lang, Angel With A Lariat, & the first disc in the Patsy Cline 4-CD box set. Yowza...I do still prefer Absolute Torch & Twang on the k.d., tho. More old-school country--the Sundowners, a collection from a Chicago outfit from 30 or 40 years ago. Nice.

Lastly...someone named Gurf Morlix? That ring any bells with any of you alt-country people? OK, I guess. But I think this Blue Rodeo's Greatest Hits I have lined up next is probably a little better.

I don't like others.

The Darkness: One Way Ticket To Hell...And Back

is slated for a Nov 28th release, and I plan on buying it. I liked Permission to Land myself, but I wished they hadn't taken so long to follow it up. We'll see if they can make it past that 'sophmore jinx' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    A couple I just got but haven't had time to get to yet, but am looking forward to--the Misfits' Project 1950, a covers album....
    Don't get your hopes up, at all, about this one.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    And some early Dan Fogelberg on vinyl - Souveniers, and Nether Lands. I'd forgotten how good some of his early work was. Excellent voice. And a good supporting cast as well: Joe Walsh, Don Henley, Glen Frey, Graham Nash.

JD
    I was about 17 when I discovered Netherlands. The creativity displayed by Fogelberg on this album makes it his best, in my opinion. I love the multi-tracked vocals with the clean vocal set off by the whispered background vocals. This is one of those albums that I have to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. After 20 years, this one still hasn't worn out its welcome. A classic of the folk genre.

You're Just Making This Up...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Piccasso's Last Words- Wings

The Fez- Steely Dan

Headroom- 10cc

Fixing a Hole- the Beatles

I DO love this SO much!

It's great how the iPod helps one rediscover the joy of long lost joys of the past, especially when they just pop up at random.

I wonder if a band like 10cc sells more than a hundred albums a year now, even of their back catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    It's great how the iPod helps one rediscover the joy of long lost joys of the past, especially when they just pop up at random.

I wonder if a band like 10cc sells more than a hundred albums a year now, even of their back catalog.
    Yeah, it's funny to just pile whole albums in the thing and hear stuff without the original context. I'm listening to Elton John's "Stinker" off of Caribou right now. Great, bad taste song that I would never just reach for on it's own, you know?

There is a 10cc slot at Amoeba and it actually has a lot of turn-over. I've bought most of my 10CC CDs there, used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information