Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip_B
    The Snake and Second Contribution were never far from the player. Thanks for reminding me.
    The Snake- what a way cool album cover! And the Phillips album looked like it had never been played (for $.99). Never really listened to him very much, but 2nd Contribution is very, very good- and hard to pigeon-hole. Next time I'm in that LP joint, I'll pick up his album Faces, which I've never heard.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Josh Ritter - Hello Starling, outstanding album probably the best in a long time in the folk genre. I recommend it to anybody.

Inspired Baubles - my best of the year comp, but I wish I'd included a Josh Ritter track now.
    Hi Mike, that is a good album. I've had the Snow is Gone song (which is kind of like the tilte track) in my song bucket for my year-end comp for awhile now but not sure what to do with it yet. I'll probably pick a different song or maybe wind up leaving this album for a different comp since it doesn't fit in too well with the other songs on the comp. Really nice early Dylan crossed with Steve Earle feel through much of it with maybe a bit of Bob Neuwirth in his voice as well. Lots of good songs. Americana, love it or leave it :-)

BTW, speaking of Americana, they did have a really nice writeup at the http://www.americana-uk.com/html/september_03.html site a couple months ago which is what initially interested me in it. They might have gone just a little overboard with praise but I do like it a lot, as apparently do you.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidestboy
    How is this one? I had taken notice because Mick Turner plays guitar on it.
    Really nice one although I've really only given the whole thing one listen. Not much different from her last Albini session which was one of my favorites from last year, The Blackened Air, although this one is quite a bit shorter at only about 31 minutes. Eight songs. Very quiet. If you wanna give her a try I would probably rec the last one first, even though it's with different drummers. This one is very spare and will probably take some time to appreciate, although there's a song in the middle called Superstar that sounds quite a bit like a Mazzy Star acoustic number and may just wind up on my year-end comp. Very lovely :-)

Edit: Just dawned on me that you said Mick Turner and not Jim White. While they both make up the Dirty Three rhythm section, I think only Jim White is on this album. No mention of Turner and I think Nina plays most of the guitar parts, although Gerry Leonard is also credited. Could it be an uncredited appeaarance? They were both on the Cat Power Moon Pix album supporting Chan but I'm sure you already knew that.
    Last edited by Davey.; 11-18-2003 at 11:27 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    hey PatD....................

I saw the Greig piano concerto performed Saturday night with the local symphony........the pianist was Jorge Frederico Osorio -- awesome.
    Lucky you! I've never heard the Grieg concerto live. I'm not familiar with the pianist. Sounds excellent.

Glad to see I'm still in circulation

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    hey PatD....................

As for the weekly list -- it is a bit odd:

All of the Wilson/Gann tunes so we could compare the sonices/production of the latest stuff.
    Train of Thought -- DREAM THEATER
    Prog Covers -- a comp from BarryL
    Hungarian Rhapsodies -- Liszt
    PolymorphicProg -- a comp from Troy
    ST -- Mike & the Mechanics
    UK -- UK
    Fly Like the Wind -- McCoy Tyner
    6 DOIT -- DREAM THEATER
    The Totentanz -- Liszt

Oh Yeah!..Correction

Quote Originally Posted by stupidestboy
    Do you mean Mingus's Oh Yeah!? (?!!!??!)
    Or was there a different Monk album you were thinking of?

You are not the "stupidestboy"...

I AM!!!

I did mean Mingus' Oh Yeah. I like Monk and Mingus so much, but I haven't listened to them in awhile.

Didn't even faze me that I was mixing the two.

Well, a Monk album that I can recommend would be Brilliant Corner's...but my credibility is now shot, I'm sure.

Great, I'll just cower into the corner, shut up and return to my normal lurking now...

Before I go, check out MINGUS' OH YEAH!! ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio
    You are not the "stupidestboy"...

I AM!!!

I did mean Mingus' Oh Yeah. I like Monk and Mingus so much, but I haven't listened to them in awhile.

Didn't even faze me that I was mixing the two.

Well, a Monk album that I can recommend would be Brilliant Corner's...but my credibility is now shot, I'm sure.

Great, I'll just cower into the corner, shut up and return to my normal lurking now...

Before I go, check out MINGUS' OH YEAH!! ha ha
    No wonder I couldn't find that. Just kidding.

Hey, I just bought Miles' Birth of the Cool, Porgy and Bess and Miles Smiles. Only listened to Birth thus far. I looked for Monk's Brilliant Corners but it was out of stock.

And you sound like you may be our friend Mad Rhetorik, Mr. Mysterio, for whom these suggestions came from.

I'll look into that Mingus suggestion also.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

[QUOTE=Mysterio]
    /QUOTE]

Don't be silly, stick around. Brain cramps are common around here. Not with me of course, but everyone else. You blend right in.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Nice "brain cramp" on your HTML there Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    Nice "brain cramp" on your HTML there Jimbo
    Stupid board! I didn't even do any HTML, it just didn't work. Pretty much sums up the point though, doesn't it. In retrospect I couldn't have done it better if I tried. What a minute, that's it-I MEANT to do that.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information