Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Wilco -- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot -- in preparation for the upcoming concert that I just bought tickets to, in Toronto.........can't wait!!
    Oh sure, suggest we take in a concert this fall and then buy Wilco tickets without me.

By the time I found out about this one it was sold out! Please post a review. I'll be living vicariously through you.

An insanely jealous,
    FA.

Too busy on Tues.

On Friday I went to the record store with my daughter to pick up some stuff.

Me: Giant Sand Is All Over The Map . . . this is my first Giant Sand album so I have nothing to compare it to but I can say it's definitely top ten material and I'll need to pursue more soon. If you like Calexico, Califone, The Black Heart Procession, Sixteen Horsepower, etc. then this will do good things for you. Fun album that is varied enough in style to remain interesting throughout.

Her: Lamb Of God As The Palace Burns . . . I wrongly assumed they were just another crap nu-metal band since they've been on the more recent Ozzfest tours. Wrong, wrong, wrong! They obviously listened to tons of Slayer coming up. They sound a lot like Slayer but heavier (if that's even possible. hmmm, guess it is ) with a fatter guitar sound and deeper vox. Really superb song writing and I understand they have another (newer) album out already. There can be absolutely no doubt that she's my kid

And I got Davey's new comp on Saturday. Nice job as always. That Old Canes song that opens it up is fantastic! It really does sound like Neutral Milk Hotel, only with Tweedy singing. Funny, I've haven't heard any Appleseed Cast songs that made me want to buy an album but this song is another story an in fact have had it on my wishlist even before hearing a single note. Ya know, I always try to support my local indie stores and have been looking for this album for something like six weeks now with no luck. All have offered to order it for me but I can do that myself so I will. Soon.

Also got JD's Lucinda comp. I've only had time to get about half way through it. Thanks man. The only Lucinda I have is Car Wheels and I've been meaning to check out more but this will hold me over nicely for a while

NP: Jar's "July" comp - yet another new arrival!
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Wink Never knew....

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Oh sure, suggest we take in a concert this fall and then buy Wilco tickets without me.

By the time I found out about this one it was sold out! Please post a review. I'll be living vicariously through you.

An insanely jealous,
    FA.
    Hey, FA.

I never knew you were a Wilco kinda listener. Heh, heh, heh, heh,. A review?? You betcha!!
    A colleague of mine bought the tickets knowing what a big fan I am and surprised me with them. Way cool.

Cheers,
    Bill

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Her: Lamb Of God As The Palace Burns . . . I wrongly assumed they were just another crap nu-metal band since they've been on the more recent Ozzfest tours. Wrong, wrong, wrong! They obviously listened to tons of Slayer coming up. They sound a lot like Slayer but heavier (if that's even possible. hmmm, guess it is ) with a fatter guitar sound and deeper vox. Really superb song writing and I understand they have another (newer) album out already. There can be absolutely no doubt that she's my kid
    Yes, I be digging the new Lamb of God, but tell her she can relax -- As The Palaces Burns is still probably their best. Don't get me wrong, Ashes of the Wake does not suck -- in fact, if they had just done As The Palaces Continue To Burn or whatever, I probably would have been disappointed, I really like the direction they went. New American Gospel (their first album -- she bought their second) isn't bad either, but probably should be bought last of the three.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

And I got Davey's new comp on Saturday....That Old Canes song that opens it up is fantastic! It really does sound like Neutral Milk Hotel, only with Tweedy singing.
    Yeah, if you love that song then you'll probably love the album too since it all pretty much follows that Mangum meets Tweedy sound. Some of it is less energetic than that album opener, but that sound is throughout. Big favorite. Our long lost flirtatious girl from the north country mentioned to me a little while back that she was listening to the stream of the album from that link I posted everyday and really loving it, which didn't surprise me a wickety bit.

What's your daughter's take on the Fiery Furnaces? Can't get enough of that "Chief Inspector Blancheflower" or just thinks her old man is weird?

On Friday I went to the record store with my daughter to pick up some stuff.

Me: Giant Sand Is All Over The Map . . . this is my first Giant Sand album so I have nothing to compare it to but I can say it's definitely top ten material and I'll need to pursue more soon. If you like Calexico, Califone, The Black Heart Procession, Sixteen Horsepower, etc. then this will do good things for you. Fun album that is varied enough in style to remain interesting throughout.

And I got Davey's new comp on Saturday. Nice job as always. That Old Canes song that opens it up is fantastic! It really does sound like Neutral Milk Hotel, only with Tweedy singing. Funny, I've haven't heard any Appleseed Cast songs that made me want to buy an album but this song is another story an in fact have had it on my wishlist even before hearing a single note. Ya know, I always try to support my local indie stores and have been looking for this album for something like six weeks now with no luck. All have offered to order it for me but I can do that myself so I will. Soon.

Also got JD's Lucinda comp. I've only had time to get about half way through it. Thanks man. The only Lucinda I have is Car Wheels and I've been meaning to check out more but this will hold me over nicely for a while

NP: Jar's "July" comp - yet another new arrival!

My daughter is now big time into Raffi, though she did say this morning she was getting tired of the song "Down by the Bay, where the watermelons grow.." *Shrug* at least she's out of the Barney/Blues Clues phase. Of course, our 18 month old is now just entering that phase, though I'm trying to get her to listen to other stuff. She really seems to dig Bob Marley's CATCH A FIRE and the B52's COSMIC THING. Though, to be honest, "she'll dance to anything" :-) I am going to try to steer her away from the whole Barney/Teletubbies stuff.. yes, I'll make a music snob out of her!

I have a copy of that Lamb of God cd.. it seemed to me to sound kind of harsh, with an exaggerated mid-to-high end and not much bass... I'll give it another try on my big system. It's very frenetic from what I remember.

That new Mastodon is pretty cool man, got through about half of it. As compared to REMISSION, it's more athletic, and more classic "metal" I'd say.. not quite as crushingly heavy or hardcore. Though I was kind of zoned out while I was listening to it on the headphones.. my wife came up and grabbed my foot.. scared the **** out of me..

dang if I'd have known you were curious about Appleseed Cast I could have thrown something in the package for ya.. oh well, I'm sure I'll be sending something else out soon.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by Davey

What's your daughter's take on the Fiery Furnaces? Can't get enough of that "Chief Inspector Blancheflower" or just thinks her old man is weird?

Umm, kinda cool for a weird guy (I think). She's just like I was at thirteen; if it ain't full of loud guitar she ain't interested, which of course means punk and metal. She hates current pop metal which shows she has good sense, but she likes Green Day and their clones . . . I suppose it could be a lot worse though. She does like McLusky and Les Savy Fav so at least some of my stuff is rubbing off. Fierry Furnaces? Yeah right! At least she admits to liking "My Dog Was Lost But Now He's Found", so not all hope is lost

I'm claiming that song (CIB) for my year-end comp but I lopped off the first part; not because I don't like (kinda D-Plan-ish), but because it messed up the flow of the track before ("Hummingbird" - Wilco). Of course when the time comes I'll probably change my mind but those two songs are sounding real nice together to me at the moment.

BTW, that second Richmond Fountaine track is bitchin' too

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    My daughter is now big time into Raffi, though she did say this morning she was getting tired of the song "Down by the Bay, where the watermelons grow.." *Shrug* at least she's out of the Barney/Blues Clues phase. Of course, our 18 month old is now just entering that phase, though I'm trying to get her to listen to other stuff. She really seems to dig Bob Marley's CATCH A FIRE and the B52's COSMIC THING. Though, to be honest, "she'll dance to anything" :-) I am going to try to steer her away from the whole Barney/Teletubbies stuff.. yes, I'll make a music snob out of her!
    My kid didn't start asking for CDs until she was ten so you've got a ways to go yet. I don't really try to steer my daughter's tastes too much. I guess she couldn't help but to be influenced by my tastes so that's a natural starting point and it wasn't long before she started picking up on things on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jar-
    I have a copy of that Lamb of God cd.. it seemed to me to sound kind of harsh, with an exaggerated mid-to-high end and not much bass... I'll give it another try on my big system. It's very frenetic from what I remember.
    Yeah, it's a pretty horrid recording but the music's good and that's what matters first and foremost.

That new Mastodon is pretty cool man, got through about half of it. As compared to REMISSION, it's more athletic, and more classic "metal" I'd say.. not quite as crushingly heavy or hardcore.
    Yeah, some old Iron Maiden sounds mixed in there. Me like

dang if I'd have known you were curious about Appleseed Cast I could have thrown something in the package for ya.. oh well, I'm sure I'll be sending something else out soon.

-jar
    Nah, not really but thanks anyway. Wait, but what if I like it? Hmmm
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

PPG
    Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    Hey, Rick. I listened to one of your Masters Of Power Pop the other day. Still a classic!

NP: Robyn Hitchcock - Seattle - Sept. 4, 2004
    Hey Brad, man, I'm glad someone still remembers those!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information