Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toosday Toons

Forum Regular

Toosday Toons

Just picked up the new Ash and Gomez albums. The Ash is a real rocker lots of crashing guitars, instantly likeable even for this old timer. The Gomez I’ve only listened to once but if you are a Gomez fan you won’t be disappointed one bit.

Other listens this past week included
    Mogwai – Happy songs for happy people
    NERD – Fly or die
    Red House Painters – Ocean beach
    Snow Patrol – Final straw
    Super Furry Animals – Rings around the world
    Joni Mitchell - Travelogue

And some oldies but goldies
    Helen Watson – Blue slipper
    Joan Armatrading – Me myself I
    The Cure – Singles and acoustic collections
    Roxy Music – Avalon

So what you been listening to??

Cheers
    Mike

Today I'm looking forward to grabbing the newest Morrissey and possibly the Secret Machines. Can't decide whether or not to spring for the DVD special edition of Morrissey or just go with the 11.99 Cd. I'll probably cheap out since I haven't even watched all of the bonus DVD's I have. But I get ahead of myself...

Still diggin' Scarred, the two disc live at Brixton Gary Numan CD. Makes time at the gym tolerable.

Spent some time with the 2003 releases of Warren Zevon as well as the Richard Thompson. Can't say I love either but there are moments on both.

Bruce Cockburn-Anything, Anytime, Anywhere (the singles 79-02) again, it's ok but I'm not really a big fan.

The most notable 'oldie' would be Hoodoo by Allison Moyet. Been too long since I played this gem. Only one track strikes me as being dated at all-track 7, (Meeting With My) Main Man. Great album.

The best of Bauhaus

The latest CRSV comp

and the usual asst. of misc. titles.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular

Plikka Gazlikka

Well it's great to see our friend from the UK start off this thread.

What did I listen to.

Hmmmm.

Citizen Cain - 2 of their newer cd's. I like this band a lot. It's like old school Genesis kind of.

Steve Hackett - Feedback 86. This cd bores the crap out of me, only 1 toon I really like, I look to sell this one on ebay.

Genesis - Duke and And Then There were Three. Great Collins era Genesis stuff, heavy on the Tony Banks synth washaroo sound.

Ultravox - Rage in Eden - great band, I like all of their releases.

Split Enz - Time and Tide and Conflicting Emotions. I tell ya what, these are two of my favorite records ever. They are way smoking good, chock full of incredible songs. That doggoned "Bullet brain and Cactus Head" toon is incredible.

Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift. 'S okay but not really my kind of stuff, too "spacey" and no singing either.

Devo - one of my 2 into 1 cd's they made in the UK a few years ago. Great stuff, I really like that band a lot.

Pallas - The Cross and the Crucible. More neo prog. This is damn killer music. As good as IQ, and for me to say that is pretty rare.

By the way the new IQ will be available soon, I can't wait to get me hands on that sucker.

I also watched the Camel dvd "Coming of Age". Jeez I sure do wish I could have seen that band.

Regards,

Dave

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Mogwai – Happy songs for happy people
    awesome.

NP - Converge - When Forever Comes Crashing.

when this album is through i may listen to The 6 Parts 7.

this morning i listened to The Notwist - Neon Golden and also Shrink .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    So what you been listening to??

Cheers
    Mike
    Pretty good week for me:

Elf Power, Walking With The Beggar Boys- Took a chnace on this one. Never heard of 'em, but apparently they've been around a while. Good indie-pop, but may be a bit too far to the pop side of that equation for a long-term treasure for me. Vic Chesnutt sings harmony one tune, so it couldn't be a bad thing, IMO.

Loretta Lynn, Van Lear Rose- OK, so I succumbed to the hype surrounding this one and bought it. Verdict- absolutely wonderful. I really am unfamiliar with Jack White and his Stripes, but gained a lot of respect for him based on what is going on with this cd.

Magnetic Fields, i- I think I read somewhere that Merritt socred a couple of movies in the interim since 69 Love songs. This one sounds like he forgot he wasn't still writing movie songs. Glossy toons, a couple are almost embarrassing to listen to, IMO. Not a favorite of mine, but okay.

Devendra Banhart, Rejoicing In The Hands- Yes, it is that good and more. My favorite 2004 release to date. Strange, innocent folky songs that don't necessarily sound like they're from another time so much as from another dimension. Banhart's highly mannered vocal style may be an acquired taste for some. Somewhere down the road of a hybrid Nick Drake/trippy-era Donovan with an occasional dash of Tiny Tim. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Still heavily rotating Damien Rice, Jolie Holland, Mountain Goats. And a bunch of vinyl on the wk-end.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Forum Regular
    i nearly forgot. i picked up this really interesting record late last week based on the pitchfork review i read.

William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops II

Apparently there are 4 discs in total. #2 is the only one i've seen for as long as i've looked. there are 2 tracks on it, the first is 30 minutes, the second is 40 or so.

i think the review does a great job of describing the sound...
    In essence, Basinski is improvising using nothing so much as the passage of time as his instrument, and the result is the most amazing piece of process music I've ever heard, an encompassing soundworld as lulling as it is apocalyptic. A piece may begin bold, a striking, slow-motion slur of ecstatic drone, and in the first minute, you will notice no change. But as the tape winds on over the capstans, fragments are lost or dulled, and the music becomes a ghost of itself, tiny gasps of full-bodied chords groaning to life amid pits of near-silence.
    see if this interests you as much as it did me: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record...on-loops.shtml

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Post Some recent stuff

Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    I've heard most of this album beforehand, but I didn't buy this until last week. What the hell was I waiting for, anyway? This is brilliant, better than Summerteeth or Being There in my opinion. Best songs for me are "Pot Kettle Black," "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart," "War On War"...well, the whole thing actually. BTW, anybody know the significance of the album's title? I've been told this is a concept album.

Bob Dylan: Blonde On Blonde SACD remaster
    It's futile to debate the merits of this one. I've heard my dad's copy of this album on vinyl so many times. I bought the SACD's to see if it would be any better. Well, the clarity is unmatched, but the mixes just aren't as good as the originals. They pushed Al Kooper's organ deeper into the mix and put Dylan and his harmonica way forward, resulting in a harsher sound. Still a fabulous work, but why did they have to fuck with the original mix?

Cynic: Focus
    Whoa, this is one helluva weird metal album. It's like some bizarre combo of jazz fusion, prog, and thrash. Of special note are the vocals--they alternate between a weird robot-sounding processed voice and a raspy, semi-comprehensible growl. The rhythm work is ace, with Sean Malone (bass) and Sean Reinert (drums) on deck. The guitarwork is also pretty interesting--technical, but not hyper-wanky like Spiral Architect or viciously amelodic like Meshuggah. This one is taking a while to warm up to me, but it's pretty unique stuff if nothing else.

Some other stuff:

Meshuggah: Nothing
    Death: Human
    David Bowie: Low
    Frank Zappa: One Size Fits All
    My Bloody Valentine: Loveless
    Sigur Ros: ( )
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Toady
    i nearly forgot. i picked up this really interesting record late last week based on the pitchfork review i read.

William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops II

Apparently there are 4 discs in total. #2 is the only one i've seen for as long as i've looked. there are 2 tracks on it, the first is 30 minutes, the second is 40 or so.

i think the review does a great job of describing the sound...

see if this interests you as much as it did me: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record...on-loops.shtml
    Indeed, this album sounds really interesting. The concept is novel if nothing else. It seems like it would fit with the current "post-rock" (read: nu-prog) scene. What is the instrumentation on that particular disc?
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    Indeed, this album sounds really interesting. The concept is novel if nothing else. It seems like it would fit with the current "post-rock" (read: nu-prog) scene. What is the instrumentation on that particular disc?
    that's the thing... there really isn't any particular instrumentation. you can think of it as processed samples of music, but really he isn't actively processing them. he's letting them fall apart and decay. so you're actually hearing looped samples that are falling apart.

that's my take on it at least. i can't really say it any better than the review does.

i don't think it goes along any post-rock path really. it's more of a sound/noise experiment than anything else.

New stuff I got last week....

The much-hyped Franz Ferdinand...generally positive early impressions, though the JoyDivision comparisons are totally lost on me. A couple songs sound alot like Hot Hot Heat's "Make up the Breakdown". So far I'll side with Davey vs. Chris, in their FF pro/con debate.

The Wrens - Meadowlands...of the ten or so new albums I've come across in the past couple months, this one's the best. Lots of variety, sometimes sounds like 3 or four different bands, all with something to like. Thanks to Sloshy for turning me onto this one.

Les Savy Fav - Inches...only one listen to this one, so too early to form any opinion. If only I could get The Meadowlands out of the player long enough to pop this one in...

older stuff...

The Libertines - Up the Bracket...really good album, but the (overdriven?) bass obscures the detail in the mids and makes listening at high volume not as enjoyable as an album with this much energy ought to be. Can't figure out if I need to re-position my speakers or if it's the mix. I suspect the latter because other albums don't exhibit this problem to the same degree, but I do think that bass traps would help the overall sound in my room. Hmmm, maybe the phase is inverted on this disc? Just thinkin' out loud.

Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood...
    Joe Strummer - Streetcore...a 5-star album
    The Stills - Logic Will Break Your Heart...
    Tom Waits - Small Change...
    Wire - Behind the Curtain...
    Violent Femmes - The Blind Leading the Naked...
    XTC - Skylarking...
    Elbow - Asleep In The Back...
    Death in Vegas - Scorpio Rising
    Electrafixion - Burned...
    Dean Peer - Ucross...
    Yellowman - King Yellowman...
    Tracy Chapman...
    Lou Reed - Mistrial...

and CRSv9...mostly very good.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

all or parts of:

Love & Rockets - EXPRESS (US Release.. vinyl.. sounds good, but the track order is all weird)

Bad Livers - DELUSIONS OF BANJER (love this one, it's their first and the only one I have.. bluegrass & folk music with punk humor and attitude. what's not to love?)

American Analog Set - THE FUN OF WATCHING FIREWORKS
    American Music Club - MERCURY, EVERCLEAR
    Cocteau Twins - BLUE BELL KNOLL
    Bob Mould - WORKBOOK
    His Name Is Alive - MOUTH BY MOUTH
    Radiohead - KID A
    Mastodon - REMISSION'
    Failure - FANTASTIC PLANET

A cool comp of tunes I ripped from davey comps way back in '02... man that Voyager One track "The Burden of More Tomorrows" is great.. I can imagine that the Porcupine Tree fans would dig them. Very spacey.

01 The Black Heart Procession -
    It's A Crime I never Told You About the Diamonds in Your Eyes
    02 Blonde Redhead - Cure
    03 Luna - Pup Tent
    04 Wheat - And Someone With Strengths
    05 Kinski - Daydream Intonation
    06 Sue Garner & Rick Brown - Asphalt Road
    07 Yo La Tengo - Tears Are In Your Eyes
    08 Willard Grant Conspiracy - St. John Street
    09 Voyager One - The Burden of More Tomorrows
    10 Cul de Sac - A Voice Through a Cloud
    11 Kid Loco - La Seduzione
    12 Talk Talk - The Rainbow
    13 Pram - Play of the Waves

all I can think of..
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    A cool comp of tunes I ripped from davey comps way back in '02
    Damn dude, that is a cool comp! I keep meaning to pick out some of my favorites from yours, but never get around to it. Think I'll start a list. Yeah, that's what I'll do

Some of my listens were ....

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs/Mule Variations
    Rachel's - Selenography
    Laika - Silver Apples of the Moon
    Secret Machines - Now Here is Nowhere
    The Black Heart Procession - Amore del Tropico
    Lali Puna - Faking The Books
    American Analog Set - Promise of Love

Oh yeah, and Hood - Cold House, love this album
    Last edited by Davey; 05-18-2004 at 11:54 AM. Reason: there's coldness in this sky

42 Regular

Nothing new here...

...besides the Pink Floyd Final Cut remaster, which is actually anything but new. The remaster work is a decent job, IMO, but not worth re-purchasing.

Randomly recalled spinnage includes:

Wilco - Being There
    The Who - Quadrophenia
    my "Life's a Long Song" comp (over-8-minute songs only)
    my "Summer Turns to High" comp (inspired by Worf's thread)
    Genesis - Trick of the Tail
    Coldplay - Rush of Blood
    U2 - October
    Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On
    CCR - Chronicles
    Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future (I never get sick of this)
    Bernstein/Vienna Symph. - Beethoven's 5th
    Maazel/Cleveland - Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition
    London Chamber Orch. - Vivaldi's 4 Seasons/Pachelbel's Canon

The new REM concert DVD (recommended, if you're a fan of their later stuff).
    Roger Waters In the Flesh DVD...Damn, what great production values. And song selection. And performances. Glad I pulled this one out of the mothballs.

That's all I can remember.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Wink Huge Gomez fan...

Hey, Mike. I absolutely adore all of Gomez's work.
    What's their new one called and which prior album does it most resemble?? Thanks-a-ton, Bill [QUOTE=Mike] The Gomez I’ve only listened to once but if you are a Gomez fan you won’t be disappointed one bit.

Forum Regular
    I have been testing speakers again. Many of these have problematic sound quality, at least with many speakers, although I like the performances. There are a lot of duplications in the works because I wanted to the older recordings (mostly) with some newer ones. I listened to the Paradigm Studio 40, v. 3, in the store. Although it is a nice speaker, on the whole, I preferred the PSB Stratus Mini.

Jussi Bjoerling, tenor, “The Pearl Fishers” Duet (Bizet) and Duets and Scenes by Puccini and Verdi with Robert Merrill, Zinka Milanov, Licia Albanese, and Renata Tebaldi. RCA 7799-2-RG.

Beethoven, Violin Concerto. Zino Francescatti, violin; Bruno Walter, Columbia Symphony Orchestra. CBS MK 42018

Ravel, Daphnis and Chloe (Complete Ballet); Choeur et Orchestre symphonique de Montreal. London 400 055-2

Rachmaninoff, Symphony no. 2. Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra. SonySB2K 63257

Rachmaninoff, Symphony no. 2. Previn, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Telarc CD-80113.

Respighi, Pines and Fountains of Rome, Roman Festivals. Dutoit, Orchestre symphonique de Montreal. London 410 145-2

Schumann, The Four Symphonies. Haitink, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam. Philips 416 126-2

Mozart, Symphonies 31 and 40. Hogwood, Academy of Ancient Music. L’Oiseau-Lyre 410 197-2

Mozart, Symphonies 39 and 41. Davis, Staatskapelle Dresden. Philips 410 046-2

Mozart, Requiem. Davis, John Alldis Choir, BBC Symphony Orchestra. Philips 420 353-2

Mozart, Requiem. Schreier, Rundfunkchor Leipzig, Staatskapelle Dresden. Philips 411 420-2

Chedeville, Il Pastor Fido (formerly attributed to Vivaldi!). Hilda Grafenauer, flute. Philips 432 138-2

Diana Krall, The Girl in the Other Room.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Damien Rice - O (thanks Mike)

Cranberries - Stars - Best of (another winner Mike)

Lara Ewen - Clear. Stunningly good EP. Sort of a cross between Gillian Welch, Ani Difranco, Lucinda Williams, and a few others. I've got to find out more about her.

John Beland - Burrito Works

Tears For Fears - Tears Roll Down

Cross Canadian Ragweed

John Hiatt - Best of

Warren Zevon - 2K3 release

Edie Brickell - Volcano

Delaney & Bonnie & Friends - 2K3 Remaster

various Guy Clark (thanks tentoze)

The Doubters Club - la fleur de Lisa (this one will be headed your way JC)

JD

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Some of my listens were ....

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs/Mule Variations
    Rachel's - Selenography
    The Black Heart Procession - Amore del Tropico
    Lali Puna - Faking The Books
    American Analog Set - Promise of Love

Oh yeah, and Hood - Cold House, love this album
    that's scarey, bro. all things i listened to within the last 2 weeks i'd say...

Forum Regular

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by audiobill
    Hey, Mike. I absolutely adore all of Gomez's work.
    What's their new one called and which prior album does it most resemble?? Thanks-a-ton, Bill
    Hi Bill,

Good to see another Gomez fan around here, I know RPM used to like them a lot but I haven't seen him around here for a while. The Gomez album is called Split the Difference and it came out on Monday in the UK. I've only had a few quick listens myself so far but I plan to sit down this weekend and give it some time.

Judging from the reviews it's a winner with a more rocky psychedelic sound and I'm inclined to agree with guitars and bass are pushed to the front. On first impressions it's not like the last album much but more like Bring it On/Liquid Skin, but I like all their stuff so that's fine by me. Lots of interesting sounds going on in the mix and of course you've got those gritty earthy vocals. No immediate tracks jump out at you but it oozes quality I think it's gonna' be one of those albums which you'll go back to in ten years and still enjoy.

Cheers
    Mike

Cool Thanks.....

Thanks for the tantalizing description, Mike.

I'll be out looking for it this weekend. Can't wait. Gomez is one of my faves of the last ten years.

Cheers,
    Bill

Forum Regular

Say it Loud....

This weeks spinnings.

James Brown ..................................The Payback

James Brown...................................Hell

Complete Stax/Volt singles.............'68-'71 Vol.2

5 Guys Walk into a Bar....................The Faces

I'm looking forward to the new Gomez also.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Toady
    that's scarey, bro. all things i listened to within the last 2 weeks i'd say...
    Yikes Todd! That is kind of scary. Probably moreso for you than me, though

NP: The Ryan Guidry version of the Beach Boys Smile. But now that I've gotten so familiar with this version, it will be kind of odd to hear Brian Wilson's "real" version when it comes out in a few months - did anyone realize before that "Good Vibrations" was supposed to be at the end and "Surf's Up" in the middle? Or "You Are My Sunshine" fading into "Cabinessence" instead of "Wonderful" (or "He Gives Speeches" on the Guidry version), but it sounds perfect that way. Anyway, little surprizes are always fun

NP: The Ryan Guidry version of the Beach Boys Smile. But now that I've gotten so familiar with this version, it will be kind of odd to hear Brian Wilson's "real" version when it comes out in a few months - did anyone realize before that "Good Vibrations" was supposed to be at the end and "Surf's Up" in the middle? Or "You Are My Sunshine" fading into "Cabinessence" instead of "Wonderful" (or "He Gives Speeches" on the Guidry version), but it sounds perfect that way. Anyway, little surprizes are always fun
    That's the version I have too. It will be interesting to hear the officially released version, especially since (reportedly) Brian's re-recording everything and not using the original tapes. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but that's what's being reported.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    That's the version I have too. It will be interesting to hear the officially released version, especially since (reportedly) Brian's re-recording everything and not using the original tapes. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but that's what's being reported.
    Yeah, it's definitely all new. I had thought his voice wasn't very good from some live stuff I'd heard a few years ago, but reports from those that were at the Smile concerts or heard the boots have been incredibly and universally positive. Of course, the reports are all from huge fans so we'll have to wait and see how true it all is. No doubt the Wondermints are a very capable band and provide great backup harmonies too.

So where is your new from? Looks kind of new wavey familiar.

So where is your new from? Looks kind of new wavey familiar.
    It's the inside artwork (beneath the clear trayholder on the traycard) on the CD reissue of Glenn Branca's The Ascension. My understanding is that that particular piece of art (done by Robert Longo) was not included with the original issue of the album.

And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    Yikes Todd! That is kind of scary. Probably moreso for you than me, though
    you mean because you expect me to have wonderful taste in music?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information