Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thrifty finds

Thrifty finds

So I mentioned in the "So what happened to Nobody?" thread that I've been scrounging for vinyl the last couple of years. Most of this scrounging/diving/digging is in thrift stores or at garage/estate sales. Yeah, most of the stuff at these places sucks, and if I never see another Montovani or greatest hits of soft rock album in my life, that'll be fine. But it's a lot of fun to find something even halfway decent, and especially fun to find that near mint Emmit Rhodes self-titled album in a pile of beat up classical albums, and pay a quarter to take it home.

Anyway, here are a few that I bought lately, and paid a total of $2.47:

Bill Withers - Still Bill

I already had this on CD, but this is a fine album, and definitely worth the price of admission. "Lean on Me" is the big hit here, but there a bunch of great smooth soul tunes here such as "Use Me" and "Lonely Town, Lonely Street."

The Time - Ice Cream Castle

Prince had his hands all over this, and it produced two big hits that showed up in the movie Purple Rain, but it's pretty inconsistent. It was kinda fun hearing "Jungle Love" again, but I don't see this one getting heavy rotation.

Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight

I already had this one too, but it's a damn good piece of guitar pop/power pop, and I couldn't pass it up.

And finally, the BIG find:

The Chicago Bears Shufflin' Crew - "Superbowl Shuffle" 12"

Yeah the song sucks, but it's a piece of history! And, not only is there the regular vocal mix, but also an extended vocal mix, AND an instrumental mix. In case you're wondering, yes I have listened to it (and yes it will collect a layer of dust sitting on my shelf before it gets pulled out again).

So, any of you have any thrifty finds lately you want to share?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    In case you're wondering, yes I have listened to it (and yes it will collect a layer of dust sitting on my shelf before it gets pulled out again).
    but did you dance to it?

Hell, that might actually be worth some money on Ebay (but you'd think someone woulda thought of that already).

I haven't been doing much of any buying lately (laid off) but I do scrounge the bargin bins. One bargin bin I found was at a grocery outlet of sorts and they had a large bin with DVDs and CDs - CDs for 3 and 4 bucks. Among them were quite a few I already had, or had in another form, or hadn't heard in years, like Dream Theater's Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence, Guster's Ganging Up On The Sun, Charlie Daniels Band Saddle Tramp, and OMC's How Bizarre. I splurged and picked up OMC and CDB.

I had OMC on tape years ago, but this was my first time getting them on CD (I had a CD-R of this from the library as well). But at $2.99, I couldn't resist. Guilty pleasure to be sure, but not half bad either. The CDB prolly isn't the most essential album in his canon (if any are), but it does have the short gem Wichita Jail and the long jam title track (when jamming was still cool). Its from the mid '70s before Daniels really took off (before the Urban Cowpie craze) and started making really dumb shit like Devil Went Down To Georgia. My brother-in-law had a few of the older CDB like this on 8-track and I'd hear them when ever I visited him and my sister on their farm.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

3LB
    I had that Time album on cassette back when it came out. Morris Day really stole Price's thunder in the movie Purple Rain, but other than a couple of songs, this album was a kind of letdown of sorts. Lots of production and if I remember right, a few tunes even sound like they were recycled for Prince's other projects, (Vanity 6, Appalonia 6, Sheila E) a year or two later - the second or third track sound a tad like one of Sheila E's tunes (Glamorous Life?).

A few songs over-stay their welcome, like the show stopper from Purple Rain, The Bird, which is nearly 8 minutes long, only has a few lyrics in it, is mostly a jam session and seems to be driven by the idea that Day sounds like a bird when he squaks, "Whaat!! have you heard?" Terribly unoriginal since it uses the same rhyming senario as the '60s surf tune The Bird. This song sounded eerily like James Brown's Living In America, which came about a year later.

This album rarely got played by me, but still got played a lot, because everyone was curious about it - Morris Day definitely did not live up to his billing post-Purple Rain. Mostly a compnaion piece to Purple Rain, The Time/Morris Day will always be remembered for that more than a being a group, which maybe it never was really. I'd heard a rumor (prolly true) that Prince played most of the instruments on the album, while the other 'band members' were the touring group, which I also heard, changed with every album. I've only heard a few tracks from the earlier Time albums, but what I did hear didn't make me want to investigate further.
    Last edited by 3LB; 07-27-2009 at 08:13 AM.

Man, our local Rasputin's has a fitty-cent CD bin that I scrounge thru 3x a week. I've found some real keepers, and some real dogs, of course, but they go straight to the local Friends Of the Library, where some fool pays up to $3 apiece for 'em.

I'll list some of my good finds when I think of it. But, yeah- I'm on a budget as well, so it satisfies both my music shopping needs and my need for "new" music.

I can't believe how busy Rasputin's is- it used to be a Tower Records, and I never remember it being that busy.

I am jealous, crutching around with my broken foot does not facilitate dragging myself around thrift stores, or mostly just not being able to carry around anything I find once there. I even skipped a record show in town a couple weeks ago because of it. Always fun to be had digging through piles of old vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I am jealous, crutching around with my broken foot does not facilitate dragging myself around thrift stores, or mostly just not being able to carry around anything I find once there. I even skipped a record show in town a couple weeks ago because of it. Always fun to be had digging through piles of old vinyl.
    Wha-?!? How'd you break your foot, trying to remove it from your mouth again?

You needs to get one of these ---->

Years ago, a friend pulled this li'l gem out....The Best of Louie Louie, Vol. 1, by Rhino.

"The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I had that Time album on cassette back when it came out. Morris Day really stole Price's thunder in the movie Purple Rain, but other than a couple of songs, this album was a kind of letdown of sorts. Lots of production and if I remember right, a few tunes even sound like they were recycled for Prince's other projects, (Vanity 6, Appalonia 6, Sheila E) a year or two later - the second or third track sound a tad like one of Sheila E's tunes (Glamorous Life?).

A few songs over-stay their welcome, like the show stopper from Purple Rain, The Bird, which is nearly 8 minutes long, only has a few lyrics in it, is mostly a jam session and seems to be driven by the idea that Day sounds like a bird when he squaks, "Whaat!! have you heard?" Terribly unoriginal since it uses the same rhyming senario as the '60s surf tune The Bird. This song sounded eerily like James Brown's Living In America, which came about a year later.

This album rarely got played by me, but still got played a lot, because everyone was curious about it - Morris Day definitely did not live up to his billing post-Purple Rain. Mostly a compnaion piece to Purple Rain, The Time/Morris Day will always be remembered for that more than a being a group, which maybe it never was really. I'd heard a rumor (prolly true) that Prince played most of the instruments on the album, while the other 'band members' were the touring group, which I also heard, changed with every album. I've only heard a few tracks from the earlier Time albums, but what I did hear didn't make me want to investigate further.
    I have also heard that Prince played all or most of the instruments on it, but I don't think the lineup changes significantly, at least early on.

I do have the self-titled debut on CD, and it's decent but definitely not a masterpiece.

Busted foot playing soccer, nothing dramatic or exciting. I really need to start using a better story.

But, it should be healed up in time for the next record show. If not, I am going to have to badger someone into coming along with me while I hobble around and they carry my stuff. I've missed the last two and I am going into withdrawal.

I went to a garage sale today that was advertised as having "1000s of records" and it didn't disappoint. I'm guessing they had a couple thousand LPs and probably 3000 45s, in addition to maybe 1000 CDs.

I walked away with the latest Vanderslice CD, and 17 LPs. Here's a sampling of what I picked up for a total of $19:

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Nice pick ups, looks like I see a Byrds and a Mott the Hoople LP.
    I only visited two places today and picked up Poco "Crazy Eyes" and Sea Level.

Man...!

Last week, I spent some time playing nurse to my mom who broke her hip and gashed her head (tripped over the cat and 'phone line). While home, I rummaged through the garage looking for a wrench or whatever and stumbled into a stack of some of my old vinyl. Included were Nautilus recs or Saucerful of Secrets and Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Japanese vinlys of The Lost Pink Floyd Album, Moroder's Soundtrack to Cat People, Zabriskie's Point and 10cc's Deceptive Bends. Many other albums were in there that went to the murky past: Liza Minelli's My Funny Valentine, Jefferson Airplane's Crown of Creation and a pile of Strawbs: Grave New World, Ghosts, Hero and Heroine and Just a Collection or Antiques and Curios.

All of them were in various states of near ruin. 20 years of dust, spiders' webs and rat droppings and water damage....At first, I wanted to scream bloody murder, but when I found many of them salvageable, I resolved to kill my parents and hole myself up in a room with a shotgun and a turntable until the authorities came.

I picked these up today at a local record show, all in excellent condition:

Warren Zevon-Excitable Boy
    The Clash -Promo - This is Radio Clash
    Little Feat-Dixie Chicken
    Little Feat-Waiting for Columbus
    Don McLean-American Pie (sealed)
    Steeleye Span-Pacel of Rogues
    Los Lobos-By the Light of the Moon
    Elton John-Tumbleweed Connection
    Jerry Jeff Walker-Viva Terlingua
    The Richie Furay Band-I've Got A Reason
    Guadalcanal Diary-Jamboree

JD
    Tu le ton son temp..... That's what we'd say ... (Lucinda Williams)

42 Regular
    Jeez, JD... that is an awesome assemblage of tunes you got there! Seriously, those are my favorite titles from Zevon, Little Feat, McLean, Lobos (maybe), EJ (maybe) and Guadalacanal D. Great haul!

So... how them Vols looking this year?
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

3LB
    Besides used stuff, where can I find a list of new releases on vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Besides used stuff, where can I find a list of new releases on vinyl?
    Check out
    http://www.soundstagedirect.com/

They have lots of new vinyl. I can recommend others too, if this one doesn't fit the bill.

I just emailed you the manual for the Elac.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Jeez, JD... that is an awesome assemblage of tunes you got there! Seriously, those are my favorite titles from Zevon, Little Feat, McLean, Lobos (maybe), EJ (maybe) and Guadalacanal D. Great haul!

So... how them Vols looking this year?
    My Vols are not looking as good as your Dawgs. I like Kiffin, but we are 2 years away from competing in the East. Fulmer didn't leave him much talent in the stable.

Yeah, that was a good haul. I was pleased.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Nice pick ups, looks like I see a Byrds and a Mott the Hoople LP.
    I only visited two places today and picked up Poco "Crazy Eyes" and Sea Level.
    I don't think I've ever listened to Poco outside of the hits they had. How would you describe their sound on those records?

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    At first, I wanted to scream bloody murder, but when I found many of them salvageable, I resolved to kill my parents and hole myself up in a room with a shotgun and a turntable until the authorities came.
    Sounds like a plan, although I'm not sure Pink Floyd records, except for Piper maybe, would be worth it.

And JD, nice stash. That Guadalcanal Diary record is great, and often overlooked in my experience.

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by JDaniel
    My Vols are not looking as good as your Dawgs. I like Kiffin, but we are 2 years away from competing in the East. Fulmer didn't leave him much talent in the stable.
    No he didn't. Where did Fulmer wind up anyway? I think there might be some down years ahead for us Vol fans...but then again, I didn't think Pete Carroll would amount to much in the NCAA either.

Fulmer sure didn't recruit like he was going to be around a long time, did he?

It's not the worth of these things, moneywise....If someone could could come up with a perfume (call it Olde Vinyl, mebbe), I'd buy it in a 20-bit minute!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

My latest haul, from a garage sale, was 10 country albums from the 60s. All of them are in good shape and I paid a grand total of 25 cents.

I had to bump this thread because I went to a garage sale today, and the proprietor has a basement full of boxes of vinyl. He estimates about 30,000 records down there. I spent a 1/2 hour flipping through a few of them, but didn't get close to making a dent in flipping through all of them. He has all of them (save for about 5 banker boxes) each individually priced, and sorted by genre and alphabetized. He's available by appointment, so he's basically running a used vinyl store out of his basement. Anyway, I picked up the following for $4 total:

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    I had to bump this thread because I went to a garage sale today, and the proprietor has a basement full of boxes of vinyl. He estimates about 30,000 records down there. I spent a 1/2 hour flipping through a few of them, but didn't get close to making a dent in flipping through all of them. He has all of them (save for about 5 banker boxes) each individually priced, and sorted by genre and alphabetized. He's available by appointment, so he's basically running a used vinyl store out of his basement. Anyway, I picked up the following for $4 total:

Well I hope he lets you come back and look at the remaining 29,000 records....

BTW-nice pick-ups though I am not sure what the LP with the Mummer's on it is.

Also on a side note (apologize if I have asked before) where abouts in Michigan are you located? I was born in Marlette and still have family back in SE Michigan.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

3LB
    coincidentally Stone, I been on a thrift bender of late (not as thrifty as yours) one of the vendors at Amazon.com is selling for cheap. I've picked up a few older CD titles from the '70s, two of them Thin Lizzy albums (Bad Reputation, Johnny The Fox) as well as 10cc:Original Soundtrack, Roger Glover's Butterfly Ball, Weather Report:Heavy Weather, Return To Forever:Romantic Warrior, Camel:Nude, Breathless & Raindances, Pavement:Crooked Rain Crooked Rain.
    Last edited by 3LB; 05-27-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Well I hope he lets you come back and look at the remaining 29,000 records....

BTW-nice pick-ups though I am not sure what the LP with the Mummer's on it is.

Also on a side note (apologize if I have asked before) where abouts in Michigan are you located? I was born in Marlette and still have family back in SE Michigan.
    Bottom left album is Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist.

I'm in Kalamazoo. I worked in Grand Rapids for 13 years before taking a job down here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information