Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

There will be snacks, there will

This is the long awaited inaugural edition of the brand new inspirational "Silly Friday Thread". Join in one and all, and say something silly, but remember, it will live on in posterity, or at least until the next big server crash comes to take them away, ho ho he he ha ha.

don't
    don't you worry
    about the atmosphere
    or any sudden pressure change

'cause I know
    that it's starting
    to get warm in here
    and things are
    starting to get strange

Don't we all just adore that wonderful world of Bird?

But will there be Pillsbury Penises?

Yes, we love us some Bird.

And also some D-Plan!

But the sky is like a dome of black metal flake
    And stars bleed together in phosphorescent lakes
    And a dead black disk slides silently overhead
    It's ****ing beautiful is what it is.
    What were you doing for those eight and a half minutes?
    Was it mean, was it petty, or did you realize you were sorry
    And that you love them?
    When I die I'm going to heaven
    Leave it to the cockroaches and the 7-11s
    But it'd be nice to think we could get it right down here just once
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Yes, we love us some Bird.

And also some D-Plan!

But the sky is like a dome of black metal flake
    And stars bleed together in phosphorescent lakes
    And a dead black disk slides silently overhead
    It's ****ing beautiful is what it is.
    What were you doing for those eight and a half minutes?
    Was it mean, was it petty, or did you realize you were sorry
    And that you love them?
    When I die I'm going to heaven
    Leave it to the cockroaches and the 7-11s
    But it'd be nice to think we could get it right down here just once
    Yeah, the end of time for us all, now that's silly! Hehehe, I was just talking to someone at another place about that great Dead Can Dance album called "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun". Must be some kind of funny connectionwe got, eh Snowbuns? With GPS you know it's all just a matter of degrees. I could quote Birdisms all day. More from the apocalypse ...

I got up this morning
    With the sunlight in my eyes
    And there was no warning
    As it took me by surprise
    And it hit me like an act of God
    And caused my alarm
    That I had not become a cephalopod
    I still had legs and arms...
    Today was supposed to be the day
    That molecules decide to change their form
    Laws of physics lose their sway...

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Must be some kind of funny connectionwe got, eh Snowbuns? With GPS you know it's all just a matter of degrees.
    Yeah, with google satellite, it's looking like Grandaddy's - Dial-A-View could soon be a reality.

As a matter of fact, I can see that you're wearing a button-down, plaid shirt. But you'll need to stand up so I can see which trousers you have on. :-)

I found your house and I saw your car
    But I’ve no idea where you are
    From the dial-a-view

Can you guess which comp I'm listening to now? It's one of yours, one artist only...

I like eggs.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

As a matter of fact, I can see that you're wearing a button-down, plaid shirt. But you'll need to stand up so I can see which trousers you have on. :-)
    Hawaii crazy shirts and jeans today. Might need to adjust the focus a bit for your "not yet over the hill but not quite still a spring chicken either" eyeballs

Single artist comp? Do I make those? Sounds like it would be kind of boring. Definitely not Grandaddy, so I guess I must be clueless again

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    I like eggs.
    I like eggs? Is that a yoke? That's all you got for silly Friday? I mean, that's not even silly! What is that animal on the cover of Andrew Bird's album? Any silly ideas?

What is that animal on the cover of Andrew Bird's album? Any silly ideas?

Yeah, I'm not sure what the heck that is, but if you go to his webpage and scratch it's butt, it's leg twitches.

I like eggs? Is that a yoke? That's all you got for silly Friday? I mean, that's not even silly! What is that animal on the cover of Andrew Bird's album? Any silly ideas?

A snufflupaardvarkapotomus.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the heck that is, but if you go to his webpage and scratch it's butt, it's leg twitches.
    Are you sure it's a leg?
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

I like to get every last drop of my Hoegaarden White Beer! Mmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Are you sure it's a leg?
    Once again, AAAKKKKK!!!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveybird
    There will be snacks, there will
    That's my favourite line from this disk.

Did you ever see the show Newsradio with Dave Foley and Phil Hartman? Phil's comedy was pure genius. There was an episode where Phil's character, Bill McNeal, had checked himself into a psychatric hospital. While there, he befriended another patient played by Jon Lovitz (who replaced Phil on the show after he was brutally and senselessly murdered!!!!, but I digress). Anyway, there was a scene where Bill was having a visit with Dave Foley and Maura Tierney's characters and Jon Lovitz was trying to lure Bill away from them because there was a party in the patients lounge (or something like that) and he said to Bill, "they're serving SNACKS". There was something about the delivery of that line that just sent me into histarics! My husband and I still use that line and chuckle over it today.

So, everytime I hear that line on the Bird album, I think of that, my favourite,episode and chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    That's my favourite line from this disk.

Did you ever see the show Newsradio with Dave Foley and Phil Hartman? Phil's comedy was pure genius. There was an episode where Phil's character, Bill McNeal, had checked himself into a psychatric hospital. While there, he befriended another patient played by Jon Lovitz (who replaced Phil on the show after he was brutally and senselessly murdered!!!!, but I digress). Anyway, there was a scene where Bill was having a visit with Dave Foley and Maura Tierney's characters and Jon Lovitz was trying to lure Bill away from them because there was a party in the patients lounge (or something like that) and he said to Bill, "they're serving SNACKS". There was something about the delivery of that line that just sent me into histarics! My husband and I still use that line and chuckle over it today.

So, everytime I hear that line on the Bird album, I think of that, my favourite,episode and chuckle.
    Yeah, that's a good one. That show was very funny and insightful sometimes. Phil Hartman was amazing. Great ensemble, although I didn't see it much after his death. Jon Lovitz has his moments, but Phil Hartman was in a different level, far above most of that cast. I love the way that "Tables and Chairs" evolves from that apocalyptic beginning I posted above, into the Heaven on Earth exclamation with that priceless line at the end, it's all just so perfect. Very spiritual album in many ways. Really a classic album, easily one of the top few of this millenium for me...so much still to explore, seems like new discoveries with each listen, and I've had it for most of the year.

I know we're going to meet someday
    In the crumbling financial institutions of this land
    There'll be tables and chairs,
    There'll be pony rides and dancing bears
    There'll even be a band
    'Cause listen, after the fall
    There'll be no more countries
    No currencies at all
    We're going to live off our wits
    Gonna throw away survival kits...
    And there will be snacks, there will
    There will be snacks, there will... be
    There will be snacks.

I was listening to that album on the drive home from work yesterday and thinking that it's probably in the number one spot for my top ten list so far this year. I can't imagine anything knocking it out of place...except maybe for the Luke Doucet CD, Broken, if I ever get around to finding it. What I heard of it on a listening station, and from the reviews that I've read, it could end up being a very strong contender.

A disk that you should look into from what I've heard.

If I had a boyfriend, I'd knit him a sweater too!

My boyfriend's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
    (Hey la, hey la, my boyfriend's back)
    When you see him comin', better cut on the double
    You've been spreadin' lies that I was untrue
    So look out now, 'cause he's comin' after you

Oooh look out!

...except maybe for the Luke Doucet CD, Broken, if I ever get around to finding it...A disk that you should look into from what I've heard.
    Another Canadian singer songwriter type? Are you kidding? Oh, that's right, this is the silly Friday thread!

Hehehe, never heard of him. Those silly content laws require you to listen to these guys, huh? Just kidding, looked him up here and he does sound interesting. They have a few songs from the new one so I'll give it a listen later and let you know what I think. Is he someone you've been following for a while? Thanks

Hey, no problem, I'll back off. You look cute together. Where'd ya meet him. Love the curls

Another Canadian singer songwriter type? Are you kidding? Oh, that's right, this is the silly Friday thread!

Hehehe, never heard of him. Those silly content laws require you to listen to these guys, huh? Just kidding, looked him up here and he does sound interesting. They have a few songs from the new one so I'll give it a listen later and let you know what I think. Is he someone you've been following for a while? Thanks
    Yes, I was following him for a while, but then he got that silly restraining order. It's hard to follow from 100 yards away. I tend to lose sight of him a lot.

Opt80 recommended Luke Doucet to me when I mentioned that I liked Colin James. Although, they seem completely different to me so I'm not sure where the rec came from...but I'm glad he made it. I spun quite a bit of the CD at a listening station and it was very interesting. But they only had one copy which was damaged (cardboard packaging) so I didn't buy it. I have it in my shopping cart at Amazon but I need one more disk to get free shipping and I can't find anything that I want that I don't already have that isn't overpriced there! Care to make a recommendation for me?

In the shopping cart currently is the Luke Doucet disk and Andrew Bird's Swimming Hour.

I'm asking Davey for a rec. This is getting silly.

Hey, no problem, I'll back off. You look cute together. Where'd ya meet him. Love the curls
    Another Canadian singer songwriter type.

I may be spending too much time at the Roots & Blues Folk Festivals.

Care to make a recommendation for me? I'm asking Davey for a rec. This is getting silly.
    Yeah, don't try to butter me up...or did I already use that line in the Pillsbury Dough Boy silliness? Life is such a blur. Blur? Hey, have you heard those guys? No, wait, what about the one Susan ... oops, I mean Snowbunny, just mentioned above? Bet you'd probably like Emergency & I by the Dismemberment Plan. Lots of Talking Heads meets King Crimson on the way to hookup with XTC at the Joe Jackson show, but they get caught in line with the guy from Braniac (who went on to later form Enon) and they wind up going to see Fugazi instead. A Rave Recs classic, even if that does sound like a mess. Maybe you'll hate it, I don't know. But ya can't catch the big one if ya don't get your line wet. I think there might be a double entendre in there someplace, but I'll have to check with the Ex Lion Tamer

Ask Snow, she's the best at recs.

edit: but if you wanna see some of the stuff I've liked best over the last few years ... http://members.mailaka.net/davey/favorites.htm ... and if you go to the bottom of that page there's a link to my review page too, but it's mostly just collected posts that I've made around here over the years ... hey, how about that Paul K album from the mid 90s called Love Is A Gas? Or some Built To Spill? The excellent Perfect From Now On is a classic for many of us, and has a progginess you'd probably like, as does the excellent Deserter's Songs from Mercury Rev. Have you picked up anything before Secret Migration yet? On and on, the wheel turns round. Catherine Wheel! That's the one. Chrome. Shiny chrome. Beneath the rust and shit. One of my favorites from the early 90s and another big Rave Recs classic. The connection between Pink Floyd and some of the noisy guitar wall bands of the modern era. Catherine Wheel is the band and Chrome is the album.
    Last edited by Davey; 11-19-2005 at 09:39 AM.

Yeah, don't try to butter me up...or did I already use that line in the Pillsbury Dough Boy silliness?

The kid, he's hot tonight. Whoaa, so hot tonight! Go Davey!

That's by a band Autumn may have heard a few times on Canadian radio.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Ask Patrick, he's the best at recs.

But don't ask Stoner, unless you like songs about dead rodents and arthritic fingers.

Another Canadian singer songwriter type.

I may be spending too much time at the Roots & Blues Folk Festivals.
    Maybe if you just quit treating them to those Pillsbury Halloween tricks, they won't keep following you home. Looks kinda like Weird Al Yankonsomething

Maybe if you just quit treating them to those Pillsbury Halloween tricks, they won't keep following you home. Looks kinda like Weird Al Yankonsomething
    Heheheh... I love the look on the girlfriend's face. She looks like she's ready to make a run for it once the camera's off.

If I had a boyfriend, I'd knit him a sweater too!

When you see him comin', better cut on the double
    You've been spreadin' lies that I was untrue
    So look out now, 'cause he's comin' after you

Oooh look out!
    I had no idea kudzu had spread all the way to B.C.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information