Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    No, her voice isn't what annoys me, it's her liberal politicking during her performances. Look, I realize a few of you misguided RR members are liberals , but if she wants to discuss her politics on stage, the show should be billed that way. I've been to a couple shows in the past where the lead singer started some crap about Bush, eliciting quite a few boos and hisses from the audience, along with some applause as you might guess.

The point is, keep your friggin' politics off the stage during your performances unless you advertise it as a fund-raiser or Bush-bashing event, or I will never support you again, and that goes for your cds and your shows. The Chickey Dicks paid the price for their stupidity, so you'd think others would learn.

Swish - card-carrying conservative
    Nah, I think certain fundamental freedoms give them right to ***** about whatever they want during their performances.
    And we have the right to criticize and hate them for it.

Kex - card-carrying wishy-washy, flip-floppin', social liberal/fiscal conservative type...today. FREE WESLEY SNIPES!

I disrespectfully disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Nah, I think certain fundamental freedoms give them right to ***** about whatever they want during their performances.
    Well, maybe I'll agree with what you said in principle, but I'm paying to see a performance of a band's music, not to hear them preach to me. I get enuf of that crap on the network news. What she does in her private life is a different matter. I don't go to my office and start telling everyone who they should vote for or how I believe Obummer is a Jimmy Carter rehash who will be a total flop or I would be ostracized in a heartbeat. Why is it any different for a performer who just happens to have a stage and an audience. I think it's total bull****.

Swish - not a big McCain fan, but....
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Holy crap! Swish and I actually agree on something!!!

Kex - card-carrying wishy-washy, flip-floppin', social liberal/fiscal conservative type...today. FREE WESLEY SNIPES!
    I'm with Swish on this. If I buy a ticket to a concert, I'm there to hear the music not personal opinion...unless the show is billed as a fund raiser. I don't care if the opinion is political or otherwise. R.E.M. invited Amnesty International to set up a table at their concert. At the end of the show they invited people to pay the table a visit and that was the extent of it. I didn't mind that. But had they gone on and started talking about it on stage and giving their opinion of WHY everyone should join, I would have taken issue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I'm with Swish on this. If I buy a ticket to a concert, I'm there to hear the music not personal opinion...unless the show is billed as a fund raiser. I don't care if the opinion is political or otherwise. R.E.M. invited Amnesty International to set up a table at their concert. At the end of the show they invited people to pay the table a visit and that was the extent of it. I didn't mind that. But had they gone on and started talking about it on stage and giving their opinion of WHY everyone should join, I would have taken issue with that.
    I'm with Swish on it too...it's annoying as hell and I tend to agree with you guys. I go through it all the time being an American living in Canada - its way cool to crap on the USA these days - sometimes it's pretty funny, sometimes it stings.

I guess my point was while I'd rather not listen to a 30 second rant in the middle of sets...but, there's nothing stopping them. The most we can do is stop supporting them, boo them, complain etc.

You put a mic in front of someone, you're at their mercy. And that's a pretty cool thing.

I guess I'm getting old. I don't know most of those singers.

But going right to number one for me is Alanis Morriset. I can't stand her voice. She's a crappy songwriter too, even though she's written some pretty catchy melodies. Yeah, so she sold ten million copies of Jagged Little Pill, so what do I know.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I agree with both side in this little political tete-a-tete.

Of course, in this glorious country and many others everyone enjoys the right to have an opinion and speak freely on it. I'm with our esteemed colleague Lazarus Short in that I'll defend to the death your right to say anything...just be prepared for the a backlash of common sense against drivel.

The crux of the biscuit is that most of these "stars" are idiots and followers. A President, any President, is only as powerful as the current tide of popular content or discontent bestows upon the office. The President is largely a world figurehead but actually wields little power in the arena of national policy. The toothless collection of demagogic, insanely-ranting, greed-driven, old white assclowns that is the United States Congress is the seat of all power in the areas of budget and policy.

Whenever I hear even the hint of some Vanity Fair, 5th grade Social Studies class bull**** start to come out of one of these twit's mouths I intsantly discount the content and cease buying product, if I'd ever started.

Forum Regular
    Dave Matthews, bleedin' horrible

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks

Whenever I hear even the hint of some Vanity Fair, 5th grade Social Studies class bull**** start to come out of one of these twit's mouths I intsantly discount the content and cease buying product, if I'd ever started.
    Maybe I've been lucky? I seem to have little problem separating the message from the music, and the commentary from the performance. There's an ton of stuff Rage Against the Machine whined about, I still thought they kicked ass.

I think it's safe to say we're all in agreement though - Bono (wow, was he not mentioned yet?) and the other sympathy sluts make for incredibly annoying singers.

Maybe I've been lucky? I seem to have little problem separating the message from the music, and the commentary from the performance. There's an ton of stuff Rage Against the Machine whined about, I still thought they kicked ass.

I think it's safe to say we're all in agreement though - Bono (wow, was he not mentioned yet?) and the other sympathy sluts make for incredibly annoying singers.
    I think Rage had more to offer. It's easier to tune out Zack's cries for a Zapatista revolution or freedom for Tibet when Mr. Morello cranks into overdrive. I mean who really cares about Babs' backing band? Plus, c'mon Zapata was an idiot but at least it's original and not bandwagon whining.

Forum Regular
    I had my first listen to some Radiohead recently, when they were playing a 'best of' collection in a CD shop. Best of? They must be joking. This was some of the dreariest music I've ever heard. Dull, flat, monotonous vocals. Boring!

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I think Rage had more to offer. It's easier to tune out Zack's cries for a Zapatista revolution or freedom for Tibet when Mr. Morello cranks into overdrive. I mean who really cares about Babs' backing band? Plus, c'mon Zapata was an idiot but at least it's original and not bandwagon whining.
    That's a big part of it. If you're band sucks and you're fighting globalization or whatever, you're in big trouble. Nonetheless, I can usually separate the messages from the music.
    Lyrics are usually the last thing I notice in a song though - if the music doesn't hook me I wouldn't care about words. With a few exceptions, of course...

I change my picks, the more I think about it, Bono is public enemy #1 for me...

Forum Regular

If quirky is the criteria...

then I think the guy from spoon and also Modest mouse would be on the list. But they aren't because I love quirky. Love Springsteen, Dylan, Neil Young, Dr. John and a whole host of blues singers who sound like they have marbles in their mouths.

It is the "beautiful" voices I can't stand.

thereyet

I have been known to avoid certain shows do to the preaching I heard last time around. They can talk all they want, but not on my dime.

I brought up Bono too. His voice rips through me like a twisted knife with jagged edges.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I didn't know a lot of his picks, but I do happen to like James Blunt.

He's not groundbreaking, but not ear breaking either.

I might have added Billy Ray Cyrus, if only for that stuipd achy-heart song.

Micheal Bolton is about the worst.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

nightflier

Sorry to disagree, here

Why is it any different for a performer who just happens to have a stage and an audience. I think it's total bull****.
    Well, I don't think it's bull. See this is a country where people are allowed to say what's on their minds. The alternative would be much worse - take it from someone who's experienced censorship first-hand, the alternative is not an option. And it's not like anyone who's followed Streisand didn't know this to begin with. Or were you living under a rock? Look, if you don't like her politics, maybe this isn't the artist for you. Part of an artist's freedom is to express their political opinions through their art. If art were not political, would it still be art? Would we even have jazz, rock, soul, or even Beethoven's 3rd, if these artists had chosen to remain a-political?

Well, maybe I'll agree with what you said in principle, but I'm paying to see a performance of a band's music, not to hear them preach to me....
    Hey 'flier,

I don't think that GrampySwish is saying that they should be banned or censored, merely that they should be shunned, ostracized, and discounted.

For my part I agree with him too. If you can't tell me how much a gallon of milk is, I don't care to know your political philosophy. It's sorta like people who have never done drugs counseling substance abuse programs or chaste nuns preaching about sex. If you haven't been down in the trenches leave it for your bio, I'll just take the songs thank you very much.

It's interesting to note that Zach hasn't had much success since the implosion of Rage. Without those stellar bandmates he was revealed for the musically-limited and ungrateful little cur that he is. Wanna promote some backwards, uphill land revolution? Fine. Wanna verbally mangle the country which provided you the opportunity to make millions? Again, fine but tacky enough that I'm probably not hopping on board. Apparently I'm not alone.

Within context I view Obama the same way. He, like DeLaRocha, has no real substance just whining about change. Fine. Good. I agree that there needs to be some changes within the structure of this country, but he offers no concrete examples and indeed offers no evidence that he even knows where to start...just alot of sound and fury. But, take that to the next level...wanna position yourself with those that "have never been proud of America" or those that damn it and I'm not sure he and I are interested in the same kinds of change. Just my .02.

And, btw (and on-topic slightly) apart both Petty and Orbison are acceptable and sometimes desirable, but that "Traveling Wilbury's" thing was just too much bizarro world.

The guy from Spoon quirky? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by thereyet
    then I think the guy from spoon and also Modest mouse would be on the list. But they aren't because I love quirky. Love Springsteen, Dylan, Neil Young, Dr. John and a whole host of blues singers who sound like they have marbles in their mouths.

It is the "beautiful" voices I can't stand.

thereyet
    I think Britt is a pretty fine singer actually, and I don't find him the least bit quirky. Of course, I may be a bit partial since I met him in person and we're real close friends now.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

You like popsicles?
    No, I like poppin' bottles like the multiple ones Swishy pops to fuel his liquor-induced, star-****ing fantasies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information