Starcastle - Song Of Times

Hmmmm.

Well, this certainly is a prog album. In fact it may be the best Yes album since The Ladder! And it certainly is better than the third and fourth Starcastle albums. I'd say it's their third best, with their first album leading the pack followed by the second.

Man, does the singer sound like Jon Anderson at times! I had to check the liner notes when the first song Red Season came on.

Judging by the number of players on this album, it looks like it didn't come easy. I guess all of these guys have other lives given that this is the first Starcastle album in over 20 years.

I'm glad they did it, even if it is a rather unsatisfying affair overall to my ears. There are some good tunes on it, and they try to keep things melodic. And it does sound like Starcastle. But some of the lyrics are overly lame, and they seem to lack songwriting inspiration on a number of the later songs on the album. The vocal harmonies sound really good though.

I hope they keep it going and do another album, My bet is that it will be better than this one. A good purchase for Starcastle fans, but I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 overall. You could convince me to stretch it to seven for the guts and effort to get this album finished.

I been eyeballing this one for some time...your review is an apt description of the third album as well actually; strong melodies and playing, with lyrics that'd make Jon Anderson wretch. I think I'll buy it just cuz I love the first two albums.

Forum Regular
    Hmmmm.

I knew of Starcastle but never owned any of their stuff, I always though they were like a bar band that kind of sounded like Yes?

Barry, it might time for us to get our cdr machines going again...

Dave

Thread Information