Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sounds Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    So, why won't this .flac file play in iTunes? I double click it from the desktop and nothing happens.
    Because iTunes sucks! Okay, it's actually pretty good software but the only lossless format it supports is (surprise!) Apple Lossless. I don't speak Mac but I believe there is free conversion software that will turn FLAC into Apple Lossless called Max and/or MacFLAC.

Jeez, the tactics I have to use to get people to respond
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

You people aren't seriously gonna let me pick out which tracks to use, are ya?

Pick a preference or two and I'll work with it.

My plan is to only offer a downloadable version but if anyone wants to do the ol' CDR-in-the-mail routine have at it. I'll make a separate post when it's done (assuming we get enough participation).

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

I'd puke a couple of lumps of coal/diamonds for you guys, but they are 192k mp3s. Are you golden-eared snobs ok with that?
    No. Kinda defeats the point, don't 'cha think?

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Troy's just being his usual antidisestablishmentarian self.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I believe there is free conversion software that will turn FLAC into Apple Lossless called Max and/or MacFLAC.

The latest version of Goldwave converts in all kinds of formats; some of which I've never heard of before. It'll play them back as well. I can even do wave file manipulation and save in any format.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Not that I'm sure this is anywhere close to ethical

No more ethical/unethical than a CD-R in the mail.

Not really. I bet if we did a blind A/B test with the original CD and a 192k mp3 of 10 random songs from your collection you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on most of them.

"Sounds Good" is more about production values than actual sound. At least it is for me.

Not really. I bet if we did a blind A/B test with the original CD and a 192k mp3 of 10 random songs from your collection you wouldn't be able to tell the difference on most of them.
    Depends where you listen. On most ear buds or some computer speakers and car speakers, prolly not. But I've ripped songs to MP3 for playback on my main rig w/ DVD player and wound up not doing that twice cuz where bass was plentiful on the CD, the MP3 disc sounded anemic.

I went to some people's house and recognized a song and how differently 'not good' it sounded from memory and when I checked, it was an 128kbps track. My strep-son played some rap stuff on my basement setup and it was so obvious that it was bass shy; one of his buddies had the actual CD and the difference was glaring.

I will say for a lot of pop/rock music, you'll have to go as low as 128kbps or lower to hear a difference, because I believe as you do, its about production value. An overly compressed wave file isn't going to sound any better than a 128kbps file. Some of the music that I was able to download at 320kbps sounds close enough to its CD counterpart as to cause difficulty telling them apart.

You people aren't seriously gonna let me pick out which tracks to use, are ya?

Pick a preference or two and I'll work with it.
    Back already? I thought you packed up your Barbie dolls and left for good a couple days ago? Heehee, I was just listening to that Morphine song in the car on the way home from work late last night, really really loud, twice in a row, man they make a lot of good sounding racket on that one! So that's my pick. Although they were pretty popular back in the day so most people might've already heard it a bunch.

If so, maybe the Electrelane song. That is from one of the best recorded and best sounding CDs of the last few years imo, Axes. Not my favorite from Electrelane cause they seem to lose focus a few times throughout the record, meandering down some paths that don't do much for me, but they still often bring it all together in metronomic bliss. And it is live in the studio, with Steve Albini in charge. Sounds very natural, as in "a rock band in the studio" kind of way.

But yea, I know, not that many people actually like Electrelane, no matter how well it's recorded, so maybe the best bet is the Magnolia Electric Co song which opens the "Sun Sessions" EP which was recorded down in Memphis at the legendary Sun Studios one day in 2006. Really nice and warm sound on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Depends where you listen. On most ear buds or some computer speakers and car speakers, prolly not. But I've ripped songs to MP3 for playback on my main rig w/ DVD player and wound up not doing that twice cuz where bass was plentiful on the CD, the MP3 disc sounded anemic.

I went to some people's house and recognized a song and how differently 'not good' it sounded from memory and when I checked, it was an 128kbps track. My strep-son played some rap stuff on my basement setup and it was so obvious that it was bass shy; one of his buddies had the actual CD and the difference was glaring.

I will say for a lot of pop/rock music, you'll have to go as low as 128kbps or lower to hear a difference, because I believe as you do, its about production value. An overly compressed wave file isn't going to sound any better than a 128kbps file. Some of the music that I was able to download at 320kbps sounds close enough to its CD counterpart as to cause difficulty telling them apart.
    Yes, you absolutely would NOT be able to tell the difference with earbud, computer or 99% or car systems. I think in most situations, on most people's main systems with a 192k mp3 (NOT 128, which do sound tinny and usually experience sibilant clipping) you wouldn't notice a difference. I really do.

Does your strep-son have a sore throat?

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    My strep-son played some rap stuff on my basement setup and it was so obvious that it was bass shy; one of his buddies had the actual CD and the difference was glaring.
    The family that plays together, stays together. Eww, sorry, did I say that out loud? Hey Todd, as Jimbo C says, I'm just busying your balls

I have 1,180GB of hard drive space so I don't bother with mp3 other than for my mp3 player which is only 30GB. You're right that on my portable I can't often enough tell the difference (but I use Lame V0, not 192CBR) to justify using lossless, especially when I can fit 5,000 V0 mp3s vs. 1,200 lossless songs. On my home stereo systems I absolutely can, however. Yeah, maybe not always and maybe even only rarely, but these days with 500GB HDDs going for less than $100 and 160GB iPods why fuck with mp3 at all?

not a typo

When he's near to mid-20s, won't keep a job, wants to live in your basement, and has teenage friends...he's viral.

Okay, so we know have over 95 minutes worth of stuff,

Where's the links? I only count about 60 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    You Can Never Go Home – House of Freaks (1988)
    I always liked this one. Nice spare sound.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3bmixdt9tym
    Now this is what I'm talking about. Kind of a so-so song but made much better due to the outstanding production values. Davey's Nina Nastasia pick also fits this description.

Well, I've got some more listening to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I love how they can throw in a groovy instrumental like "Crumble", and make you wanna hit a Greyhound station with "Güero Canelo".
    If ya like that check out the live version of Guero Canelo. Even better than the studio version IMO.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1b11z2bl0oz

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Today You Get The Mellow Stuff

Hey, that was kinda painless once I figgered out all the security/cookie stuff...certainly much less painful than a bunch o damn discs lying around all over tha place.

The Wailin' Jennys
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zy2tmzyogja

Justin Townes Earle ( a newalbum you country cats need to buy)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9iyerd1zmez

BTW, how does this work? You gonna turn this into a single file/compy Slosh?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    BTW, how does this work? You gonna turn this into a single file/compy Slosh?
    I'm not sure yet. I'm definitely gonna have to edit my selection (fade up/out crowd noise) and will probably hack off some end of track silence to tighten up the flow on some of the other tracks. I found a service that'll let me upload it as a single zip file but the problem with that is if your connection times out you have to start all over again. I'm guessing the whole thing will end up at least 500MB so it'll probably better to do individual songs + a playlist file. I'm definitely gonna rename the file names to reflect the sequencing, and the album names to Sounds Good! 2008 or something along those lines. I'll include the contributers' names in the comments section of the metadata and each song will have the album art from the original CD embedded so people will know what album to buy if they stumble into something they really like. Beyond that I haven't given it much thought other than it's gonna be FLAC so the Mac guys can grab it too (although personally I prefer WMA Lossless for my own use since it works with all of my software).

I've got a lot of stuff here to digest before I even start thinking about sequencing. When it's done I'll start a new thread.

Thanks for playing!

NP: (one track, anyway )

Kind of a so-so song but made much better due to the outstanding production values. Davey's Nina Nastasia pick also fits this description.
    Nothing so-so about any of my picks, mariachi boy. Quit lying.

Nothing so-so about any of my picks, mariachi boy. Quit lying.
    Actually, after about three or four spins I've really come to like "One Old Woman". So how is the rest of On Leaving?

NP:

Actually, after about three or four spins I've really come to like "One Old Woman". So how is the rest of On Leaving?
    Beautiful record, maybe even a minor masterpiece in another time. Albini is so in touch with her. That song has some of the amazing epic drum sound he captures so well, like you are there, so that's one of the main reasons I picked it. Only a couple other songs with the drums that prominent, "Dumb I Am" being another with a bit of Celtic flavor. I probably play her first record "Dogs" the most, but really like this one. A couple years down the road, and I have the feel that it's still growing on me. "One Old Woman" kind of stands out though, encapsulating many of the qualities that make her recordings special to me, but it's also one of the only songs where she really lets go on this one. They keep the instrumentation kind of quiet most of the time, so overall it's not very dramatic sounding. It's a very lyrical album, so take that as a warning ... if need be

Beautiful record, maybe even a minor masterpiece in another time. Albini is so in touch with her. That song has some of the amazing epic drum sound he captures so well, like you are there, so that's one of the main reasons I picked it.
    Yeah, it was most definitely the drums that got my attention but the rest of the song kinda sucked me in as well after a few more spins. Just picked up (finally) Roomsound the other day for $8.00. This one would easily qualify for this comp too.

NP: (duh!)

Just picked up (finally) Roomsound the other day for $8.00. This one would easily qualify for this comp too.
    Yea, Roomsound is a great sounding CD. Brian Deck did a fine job recording that one. Not sure if he mastered it too or not. Shame some of his later work doesn't sound near as good due to the loud mastering, like Josh Ritter's Animal Years which coulda been so much nicer. But in those earlier times, back at the change of the millenium, Califone and Ugly Casanova and Modest Mouse and Holopaw and Fruitbats all sound very nice. Roots and Crowns still sounds very good too, just a bit louder, and I'm sure done to digital instead of 2" tape like I'm pretty sure they used for Roomsound.

Here's a nice one, since we're just kind of playing around and having fun now. Its from 1998, and the loudness war was heating up but not yet completely in control of the industry, so sadly not quite as nice as the ones that came before, so much music ruined over the last few years, but not bad and I've already said enough about this guy and those first two records, but still, this is a great song from a fine album ...

http://www.mediafire.com/?9xmbygx3zjs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information