Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular

Recommendations part 2

Ok, at the risc of being over-enthousiastic...some extra recommendations...

Mozart - Symphonies no 39 (jupiter) & 40 - A lot of good recordings.
    2 of my recommended recordings are Ton Koopman (Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra) and Jaap Ter Linden (Mozart Akademie Amsterdam), not sure if it's available outside Europe.

Rossini - Messe Solenelle
    Rossini - Stabat Mater
    No recording recommended

Beethoven - Symphonie no 9 (the famous one beside the 5th) - Philippe Herreweghe
    Highly recommended performence and recording!

Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem - Guiseppe Sinopoli
    Highly recommended performence!

Buxtehude - Cantatas BuxWV41, 34, 79, 50, 31, 10 - Konrad Junghänel, Cantus Cölln.

Saint-Saëns - Symphonie no3 (organ symphonie)

Chopin - Piano Concerto no1 and no2 - Highly recommended!
    Yevgeni Kissin or Pires

Bach - Johannes Passion (St John's passion)
    Bach - Hohe Messe (Mass in b-minor)
    Bach - Violin concerto's - Andrew Manze
    Well, actually everything from Bach, no easy listening, but rewarding.

Vivaldi - Stabat Mater - Chiara Banchini, Andreas Scholl

Pergolesi - Stabat Mater - Rousset, Scholl, Bonney

And for the brave one, try some organ works.
    Mendelssohn - complete organ works
    Bach - Organ works, all organ works but that's about 25 discs so let's start with:
    6 trio sonatas
    Fantasia & Fuga in g minor - BWV542
    Passacaglia - BWV582
    Nun kommt der Heiden Heiland - BWV659
    Toccata in D-minor - BWV565 (the famous one)

That's it for now...maybe I'll come up with some extras, the longer I think about it the longer my list will be

Forum Regular
    Btw Feanor. I think both of your lists are great (30 and 250)
    There is some music on it I really need to listen too! Thanks for reminding me..

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I got a request for some classical recommendations from our member, frenchmon, and promised him to send some along. I decided to share them with everyone here too. Accordingly see Feanor's Thirty Classical Recommendations.

The recommended recordings are not necessarily the "best" for the composition, just a decent one that I am familiar with. In reality I'm no performance aficionado.

{EDIT} No doubt some people will note my inclusion of several contemporary works and question whether there aren't many time-proven, "classic" classics that might have been included instead on such a short list. Well I say (a) its my list and I like contemporary classical, and (b) people ought to know that, if classical music is "dead white men's music", and least the composers haven't been dead for as long as they suppose.

Feanor...I just now saw this list. You got a lots for me to choose from. I'll start at the top one at a time and listen online when I can to see if I like them. If so I''ll purchase.

I've been a jazz head, mostly bop, sense the early 80's. So i'm sure I won't have any problems with classical.

Thanks much.

Hey Mr. Peabody...did you ever get a chance to go to the Jazz and Blues club on the Admral boat when it was down on the river front years ago?

frenchmon

Suspended
    I went on the Admiral once as a teen. They did have a band playing but I didn't get to the Jazz club. The have a great place here called Jazz at the Beastro but unfortunately I haven't made it there either. My wife isn't into music that much and don't like smoke. I need a concert bud. My daughter is old enough now to get in and likes music so maybe I can get her to go one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I went on the Admiral once as a teen. They did have a band playing but I didn't get to the Jazz club. The have a great place here called Jazz at the Beastro but unfortunately I haven't made it there either. My wife isn't into music that much and don't like smoke. I need a concert bud. My daughter is old enough now to get in and likes music so maybe I can get her to go one day.
    I saw a few jazz bands down there on the Admiral when they turned it into the Jazz and Blues club. I think it was in teh 80's.

I was down at Street Sides records Down on Delmar in the central west end one Saturday morning looking a Jazz albums and this sales man walk up and said may I help you? Well we got into a long discussion about Jazz artist and then he said that he was a lacal jazz drummer who played at various places around the city. This guy had a big afro and really didnt look like a jazz artist at all. I just new he was lying. So I made my purchase and left.

Well that Saturday night my buddy and I, having purchased tickets about 3 weeks earlier to go and see James Moody at the Jazz and Blues Club on the Admiral, are sitting up close to the stage and Moody comes out with his sax and his band is kicking tale. I mean they are just laying it down. And to my surprise, that same guy I saw at Street Side Records was just playing the hell out of the drums! Man I was just floored! thats when I realized that Big Time artist sometimes don't always bring the whole band with them. they go to the local Music Union Hall to get musicians.

It was a said day when they close the Club.

That was years ago when I lived in ST. Louis. Man I could not even tell you whats going on in the big STL after being away for some time. But I'll get back soon I hope...I miss it.

frenchmon

Welcome, frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Feanor...I just now saw this list. You got a lots for me to choose from. I'll start at the top one at a time and listen online when I can to see if I like them. If so I''ll purchase.

I've been a jazz head, mostly bop, sense the early 80's. So i'm sure I won't have any problems with classical.

Thanks much.
    frenchmon
    I hope you find the list helpful. You might want to key in on one or two categories first, e.g. Symphony and/or Chamber. But act fast to avoid confusion! I'm thinking of expanding the list to 50.

Jazzwise, I have only a mild interest but I mainly like Hard Bob and related categories.

Forum Regular
    One could also start exploring by period (Baroque, Romantic etc)
    If you like Bach you can try Händel etc etc etc
    But you'll find out what you like soon enough probably.
    Sic transit gloria mundi

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I pulled Vivaldi's Four Season's and Mozart's Violin Concertos and both are done by the Academy. Both of these are on my favorite Classical list. For one, I really like violin and Baroque, another, these are very good recordings. I was just curious to see what a dedicated Classical listener thought of them.

I will check the recs for the 5th. Telarc has been consistent with satisfying recordings to me.
    I'm actually not generally all that fond of Beethoven's Fifth. The high fidelity one I like better than others is Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic on Chesky.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Leon...6328616&sr=1-1
    I personally like it better than Carlos Kleiber's famous recording and the sound quality is better: recorded by Gerhardt and Wilkinson.

Karajan 1962 is very good, too.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information