42 Regular

So I met Colin Meloy last night...

He and his wife were in my neck of the woods for a book-reading/signing event... they collaborated on a young-adult fantasy book, called Wildwood. They told an interesting story of how the book came about, and it was great to see them in a very small bookstore setting like that.

So later, while they were signing 3 books for my lovely wife, I shook hands with Colin and talked with him briefly about REM. I told him the story about how, half a lifetime ago, I had talked Peter Buck into buying his first CD player. That raised his eyebrow. "Really? How'd you do that?" he asked, knowing what a vinyl freak Peter was (and is).

I gave him the short version of the story, which takes place in a bar in Athens, Ga. in 1985 and culminates in my telling PB that the new Mission of Burma album was only going to be released on CD. Without missing a beat, he (Colin Meloy) looks me straight in the eye and says "Oh yeah, was that the 80-minute compilation that wouldn't play on some players?" I said no (it was actually Horrible Truth), but it showed me how sharp and engaged he was just to ask that question after talking for a solid hour and then signing dozens and dozens of books for legions of flannel-clad hipsters at a sleepy suburban bookstore.

I wished them both luck, thanked them both for the autographs, and beat it.

[Note: That's not me on the right of the photo.]

Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    That's pretty cool. I was listening to him on the Wait, wait podcast and was totally impressed by how quick he was. The guy's got sumpin goin' on upstairs.
    TCA ATT GGA

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    cool - good to see good people doing well. I went to school with both of them - esp. with Carson (Colin's wife) as she was getting her BFA in painting while I was too. Several years later, I hadn't heard The Decemberists yet and saw Carson's painting on a cd (Castaways and Cutouts). Bought it 'cuz of that and low and behold - cool tunes!

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    That's very cool. He probably enjoyed having someone to talk to that had a cool story to tell rather than the usual "I love your music, man" stuff that he probably hears all the time.

Cool story bro!

Seeing them live a few years back was fantastic and they really impressed me. I'd see them again if I had the opportunity.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information