Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Jefferson City MO
    Posts
    90

    So has anyone else been watching this "band reunion" deal on VH1?

    It's pretty interesting really, so far I've caught the episodes dealing with A Flock of Seagulls , Frankie Goes to Hollywood and The Alarm .

    Now none of these bands ever did much for me but the stories behind their careers, how the broke up ect, is interesting.

    The story of The Alarm I found intriguing due to how they broke up plus the fact that they still take themselves seriously even tho they were nothing but an over hyped, watered down copy of U2.

    I've never known much about Frankie Goes to Hollywood , their sound or whatever was never my bag. I'll say this though,and anyone who has seen the episode will know what I mean , the live video clip they show at the end there is embarassing to say the least.

  2. #2
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    No, never seen it. When is it on? I catch the comments about all of the shows at the Electroculture forums and I never remember to find out when it's on.

    Dissing The Alarm? For shame.

    Frankie Say: We ROOL!

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Jefferson City MO
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    No, never seen it. When is it on? I catch the comments about all of the shows at the Electroculture forums and I never remember to find out when it's on.

    Dissing The Alarm? For shame.

    Frankie Say: We ROOL!

    jc
    Here ya go Jim. http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/bands_r...d/series.jhtml

    Their re-running all the episodes so you'll just have to catch the Frankie one. It'd be interesting to see if after viewing the clip I've mentioned, if you could still say they "Rooled".

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Mid-MA
    Posts
    262
    I've been hearing about this too, and was wondering about it.

    But VH-1 has gotten so putrid lately with these nostalgic segments that are nothing more than an excuse to showcase the new corporate talents, both in music and TV, that I'd given up on them. Who wants to watch the costars from Ed patronize about how important some 80's rock band was? Like they're experts?

    Maybe I'll give them another shot on this format though...

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lawrenceville
    Posts
    1,112

    Fgth

    I saw them years ago and they were bizarre live.

    Basically it's a dancing concert, they allowed lots of fans to get up on the stage and dance with them, pretty weird.

    Plus they showed a lot of homosexual act pictures behind them during the gig.

    Needless to say that part didn't appeal to me.

    It was fun, though, and it was free too.

    Dave

  6. #6
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    I saw them years ago and they were bizarre live.

    Basically it's a dancing concert, they allowed lots of fans to get up on the stage and dance with them, pretty weird.

    Plus they showed a lot of homosexual act pictures behind them during the gig.

    Needless to say that part didn't appeal to me.

    It was fun, though, and it was free too.

    Dave
    Oddly enough they never made it to Kansas! Pretty sure that Holly Johnson is HIV positive and has been for a while and I think I recall that Paul Rutherford (here for the smell of it) may be HIV positve as well but I could just as easily be wrong on that one. Guess I'll have to watch the show.

    I remember a KC Pet Shop Boys show where Tennant and Lowe were dressed up in chaps and riding on a giant inflatable pecker. Could have done without that. Never been to a Soft Cell show and I don't even want to think about the visuals you'd encounter there.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  7. #7
    Forum Regular nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,964
    I've seen a few of them so far: Flock of Seaguls, Romeo Void, and Kajagoogoo. Kajagoogoo was really funny, I thought. Seems like they were pretty much a bar band, picked up the singer, who got them a record deal and made them hugely popular, then decided he wasn't the right direction for the band to go and proceeded to fall off the face of the earth without him. Kinda makes 'em look like idiots.

    I'd like to see the Alarm one. I actually really liked the first EP they put out and liked Declaration a bunch, even saw 'em live. After that they went downhill fast in my book, but those first two were good, still pull 'em out once in a while. That Frankie one would be fun too, just to see what the hell those guys would be doing nowadays.

    Saw Dramarama too, and they actually seemed to still sound pretty decent live at the end.

    OK...yes, I have been watching way too much TV lately.

  8. #8
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    I actually saw Dramarama on VH1 the other night....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    It's pretty interesting really, so far I've caught the episodes dealing with A Flock of Seagulls , Frankie Goes to Hollywood and The Alarm .

    Now none of these bands ever did much for me but the stories behind their careers, how the broke up ect, is interesting.

    The story of The Alarm I found intriguing due to how they broke up plus the fact that they still take themselves seriously even tho they were nothing but an over hyped, watered down copy of U2.

    I've never known much about Frankie Goes to Hollywood , their sound or whatever was never my bag. I'll say this though,and anyone who has seen the episode will know what I mean , the live video clip they show at the end there is embarassing to say the least.
    and they were about the only "legit" band on the show so far, although I may have missed a couple of them. I never considered Flock of Seagulls more than window dressing, and Kajagoogoo (spelling? Who cares!) was jsut a one-hit wonder. Anyway, the Dramarama bit was pretty good and I thought they had a decent sound back in the day. I have a couple
    of their cds and may have to pull them out of the vault now since I haven't listened to them in years.

    Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Whats the deal with MP3 format
    By 3db in forum General Audio
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 12:00 PM
  2. 7:40 est: Anyone watching this Detroit Cobras thing?
    By MindGoneHaywire in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 04:48 PM
  3. I've been watching the Allman Bros.
    By Over50 in forum Rave Recordings
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 12:23 PM
  4. Has anybody been watching 8 simple rules
    By Over50 in forum Favorite Films
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 10:43 AM
  5. Help with bass going in and out while watching TV
    By Willow in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 08:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •