Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mostly stuff for a mix for my son for his birthday, but other than that (very little of which is new):

The Zebras - Worry A Lot

Signal To Trust - Golden Armour

Manu Chao - Clandestino

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams

Bob Dylan - Live at Carnegie Hall 1963

Maserati - Inventions For the New Season
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Shack - Waterpistol
    Nice stuff. Just listened to that myself, as I do pretty regularly. Made a copy for a buddy at work who is a big fan of the La's, but never heard of Shack. Does some of his own recording and takes a lot of inspiration from that early Who psychedelic sound. He's a big fan of the Lilys too. Have you heard that Philly psychedelia band? Pretty fun.

Anyway, just some of the usual odds and ends on my list ...

Hector Zazou - Songs from the Cold Seas (another regular listen to a favorite of mine, but broke it out mainly in response to the Siouxsie discussion, since she's one of the featured artists, although her song is kind of overshadowed by some of the other goodness on this CD)

Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura (what can I say that I haven't said a hundred times before, if there is a better song than "Blue Line Swinger" ... then I haven't heard it. Patterns of sound are my bag right now)

Sparklehorse - Dreamt for Light Years ... (not my favorite, and I do really miss the highlights from the last one, especialy those with Polly Jean, but still one of my favorites from last year that always sounds pretty comforting)

Shack - Waterpistol (an almost lost classic slice of Brit-pop from the early 90s, but now feels almost like I grew up with it, even though I only got it about a year and a half ago)

Signal to Trust - Golden Armour (sometimes the street teamers are right about a record )

Sly and the Family Stone - Stand! and Dance to the Music and There's a Riot Going On (from the new 7-CD box - very nicely done with plenty of dynamic range - if only all remasters were done respectfully like this instead of trying to make them sound like a modern in-yer-face distorted balls-to-the-walls pile-o-crap production ...)

Red Red Meat - There's a Star Above the Manger Tonight (Love the little English overview at Piero Scaruffi's site that I've been known to plagiarize freely, and with little remorse ... This, in turn, led to the abstract framework of There's A Star Above The Manger Tonight (1997), replete with synthesizer and other sophisticated arrangements, which was, de facto, a postmodernist exercise in stylistic deconstruction, bordering on trip-hop and ambient music while retaining the cacophony of Captain Beefheart and Pussy Galore.)

Silver Jews - Tanglewood Numbers (just a good listen, not as revelatory as American Water was to me back in the late 90s when I discovered them, but still very satisfying in a way that only Berman seems to capture for me)

Black Heart Procession - The Spell (some very high highlights that take me back to the BHP glory days of "2", such as the amazing "The Letter", but in honest reflection, kind of a letdown. If "2" is a 9 on my scale, then this is probably a 7, but a strong 7, just not one that I wil keep reaching for over the years like I do with "2")

Arcade Fire - Funeral (actually, if you play the BHP and Arcade Fire CDs back to back, they aren't much different, although I like BHP more. I tend to like the idea more than the execution, but I still think it is very good, especially for a low budget pseudo-debut, just not the greatness that quickly spread)

Luna - Bewitched (no idea why I love records like this so much, just some undefinable charm in the unassuming character of the music and the players, I guess)

Hey Mark, nice to see that Decade of A-C still gets dragged out on occasion. That was really almost a group comp. Popped in my Twilight last week too. Always wanted it to be kind of like the followup, and it was in some ways. Became a trilogy of sorts, with Decade, Twilight and Down the Road, but each a different flavor, almost like the musical chronicle of a journey. And now that I think about it, that one that Jar mentions could almost fit in the journey as well ... or maybe they all fit in that long strange trip it's been saga

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Suicide Commandos - Make a Record

~Rae
    Always glad to see someone else dragging this one out. It's probably close to the top of fairly obscure albums I can drag out and make other people love when friends are over.

I wasn't gonna post here'cause I hate to just make a list and not say much about 'em, but don't have time for anything else at the moment, but oh well...here's a brief list of some stuff from this week...

Lee Perry: Arkology (fantastic collection of dub masterpieces)
    Squeeze: Singles 45s and Under (80s pop rock perfection)
    Arcade Fire: Neon Bible (better than Funeral)
    !!!: Myth-Takes (love the Duane Eddy on Acid guitar line in the opening song)
    Joy Division: Body & Soul (great box set)
    Stax Singles Volume 2 (more late 60s soul than any one man can handle)
    Air: Pocket Symphony (a weak Air album is still pretty good, ya know)
    The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld (classic ambient house)
    Teenage Kicks Compilations (fun stuff to relive your youth by)
    The Clash: SIngles Box (fantastic, of course, it is The Clash)
    Siouxsie & The Banshees: JuJu & Once Upon A Time (RAE, if you don't mind kinda scratchy burns of old vinyl, let me know if you wanna hear these)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Mostly stuff for a mix for my son for his birthday, but other than that (very little of which is new):

The Zebras - Worry A Lot

Signal To Trust - Golden Armour

Manu Chao - Clandestino

MC5 - Kick Out the Jams

Bob Dylan - Live at Carnegie Hall 1963

Maserati - Inventions For the New Season
    Wow! MC5 fan? IIRC, Fred (Sonic) Smith, who later married Patti Smith, was lead guitar for the MC5. When my PC's working and can get into my iTunes library, I crank that tune up to piss off the neighbors.

Yesterday:

Disc 2 of my new copy of the Led Zeppelin DVD set

Almost:

Queensryche: Empire DVD-A (almost because I'm awaiting a replacement for a defective disc)

I'm starting to build my anemic library, so this is a good topic for getting new ideas and jarring my memory about stuff I've forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Enjoy your time off....

Tell me, was the Seventh Son the product of Carnal Knowledge during the Powerage of th IVth Dio Year

Say Hi to Bud and Jack for me
    LOL, that was good.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by DariusNYC
    LCD Soundsystem -- Sound of Silver. As a follow up to my thread last week, I hereby command the Rave Recs community to buy this and listen to it at a relatively loud volume.
    More cowbell! Hey, ever see them performing daft punk is playing in my house on Letterman from the debut? Pretty cool, in a reminds me of all those days so long ago when I got to go see the Talking Heads make us all move in such quirky jerky ways. Fun stuff, even if not the most original sound ever. Gotta say, I definitely prefer the live sound, though

Suspended

Love Shack BABY!!!

Paul Schafer and the NBC Orchestra were really diggin it weren't they?

Yes, definately a heavy Talking Heads influence. You mention quirky jerky moves when listening to Talking Heads... I used to crack my buddies up when Love Shack was playing on the Juke box and I'd start dancing around like some kinda weirdo. Trust me, I had at least 3 bourbon-n-cokes in me before I got out there and made a fool of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Wow! MC5 fan? IIRC, Fred (Sonic) Smith, who later married Patti Smith, was lead guitar for the MC5. :
    Yep, MC5 fan. I hadn't listened to it in a while, and man that is some intense stuff.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    A good album...have you heard their last two though, Dance Of Death and Matter of Life and Death. IMO, every bit as good as Seventh Son.

Well, I got laid off last week, so I'm on indefinate Fridays, so...
    Sorry to hear about your job issues, and yes those 2 lp's are excellent.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Yep, MC5 fan. I hadn't listened to it in a while, and man that is some intense stuff.
    LOL! Yeah, and that's putting it mildly.

Slosh,

I saw Artic Monkeys with some of my British friends from work (we're all in our late 40's BTW ) at an old art deco theatre here in the Dallas area called the Granada Theatre. It's a very old venue that smells like a mildewy basement, but it's quite a popular attraction for some of the more obscure talent that you don't hear on the airwaves. They're considered an "Indie" band aren't they? Sounded great live. Very tight band.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    More cowbell! Hey, ever see them performing daft punk is playing in my house on Letterman from the debut? Pretty cool, in a reminds me of all those days so long ago when I got to go see the Talking Heads make us all move in such quirky jerky ways. Fun stuff, even if not the most original sound ever. Gotta say, I definitely prefer the live sound, though
    Hey thanks for the link Dave enjoyed the performance but I've gotta' say somehow it doesn't seem right somehow hearing that sound performed by some podgey faced double chinned suited guy he should be some skinny kid in a t shirt! Never seen them but I bet they are good live they're coming to our local (about 5 miles away) 3 day festival in August along with Bloc Party, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Red Hot Chili's, Nine Inch Nails, Razorlight, Interpol, Maximo Park, We Are Scientists and The Smashing Pumpkins. Might have to get a ticket, for at least one day.

My latest listens from the last week or two...

Kings Of Leon - Because of the Times, the difficult 3rd album? nah not for these guys

Richmond Fontaine - 13 Cities, his best yet IMO

Air - Pocket Symphony, a bit bland overall lacking some high points for me

Laura Veirs - Saltbreakers, saw her at a small venue last week with a really good show

Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures, great album better than the debut

LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver

and some other stuff, some new some old
    Low - Drums and Guns
    Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
    Jesse Sykes - Like Love, Lust etc
    Idlewild - Make Another World
    Jimmy Figureine - Fogotten what it's called, but good
    Paul Brill - New Pagan Love Song
    The Charlatans - Simpatico, still turning out solid stuff

Cheers
    Mike

Suspended
    As I'm typing this I'm listening to Psycho Killer!!!

Forum Regular
    Bought new speakers so a lot of listening highlits are

Rodrigo and gabriela, tremendous guitar playing on this ceedee, highly reccomended for acoustic guitar fans.

Moody blues sacd specially foo our children IMHO the best off the five sacd´s.
    Diana Krall the girl in the other room.

Sufjan Stevens illinoise and the avalanche.

Carmina burana ( telarc sacd).

Yes close to the edge.

Cat Stevens mona bone jackon.
    Dead can dance serpent egg.
    And a bunch more.
    At my office Itunes shuffle.

Hey Mark, nice to see that Decade of A-C still gets dragged out on occasion. That was really almost a group comp.
    I hadn't listened to it in a while, but was at a friends house for our weekly poker night and he popped it in the player much to my surprise. I told him I thought I'd mis-placed my copy and he was kind enough to burn ne for me. Brought back some really fond memories of a more innocent time here at Rave Recs. Still one of my favorite comps of all time. (I've since found my original copy).
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular

J. S. Bach, Musical Offering

Bach, Musical Offering. Richard Goebel, Musica Antiqua Koln. DG eloquence 4696802. Just bought this. This is very structural music and this brings that out. The recording is very nice but not especially realistic and is not very dynamic. The Penguin Guide did not much like it, but I do. Frederic the Great of Prussia, a pretty fair musician himself, proposed the theme to Bach, and wanted a 6 part fugue. Bach suggested that not all themes were suitable for that and picked out another theme and played it for the company. Bach's son, C. P. E. Bach, was harpsichordist for Frederick. Anyway, Bach composed a number of pieces based on Frederick's theme and dedicated the work to him.

I now have 3 recordings of it. Christian Benda and the Capella Istropolitana have a more realistic recording, Naxos 8.553286, probably a better general recommendation, but I like Goedel's recording quite a lot. The other is an older one on LP by Karl Muenchinger and the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra on London STS 15063. It's nice but a little bland.

Berlioz, Les Nuits d'ete (summer nights); Arias by Jules Massenet. Measha Brueggergosman soprano; Yoav Talmi, Orchestre symphonique de Quebec. CBC Records SMCD 5236. This young woman has a fabulous voice, truly world class. Here's her website:

http://en.measha.com/index.php

Orff, Carmina Burana Suite (arrangement for concert band by John Krance); Bird, Serenade for Widn Instruments; Reed, La Fiesta Mexicana. Harlan D. Parker, The Peabody Conservatory Wind Ensemble. Naxos 8.570242. This band arrangement of Carmina Burana are great fun, and I think I like it better than the original. Carmina Burana is certainly great fun to perform, but really, I never listen to it (well . . . hardly ever!). The other two pieces are not bad but are not great music. Excellent recording quality.

Luciano Pavarotti. tenor, Nessun Dorma. Decca eloquence 467 462-2. This is a greatest hits type album of the younger Pavarotti. He sang very well, of course.

J. S. Bach, Goldberg Variations. Jeno Jando, piano. Naxos 8.557268. Jando is an amazing pianist, seemingly able to play everything well, though not necessarily better than some others. He's almost the Naxos "house pianist."

Mozart, Coronation Mass, Vesperae solennes, Exsultate Jubilate. Sir Neville Marriner, various soloists, Schola Cantorum Oxford, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields. DG eloquence 467 416-2. Darned if I haven't sung in the Coronation Mass. I probably have the score around somewhere.

Mozart, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Serenata Notturna, Divertimento in F major, k. 247 (Lodrun Night Music, no. 1). Petter Sundkvist, Swedish Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.557023. I wanted to see what the Lodrun Night Music was like, and with these performers, I knew I could hardly go wrong.

Diana Krall, from this moment on. Verve VERW344940.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Hey thanks for the link Dave enjoyed the performance but I've gotta' say somehow it doesn't seem right somehow hearing that sound performed by some podgey faced double chinned suited guy he should be some skinny kid in a t shirt!
    Heehee, yea, looks more like the aging frontman on some reunion tour, huh? But they do amp it up in person. They were just on again last week doing the single from Silver, "North American Scum". Another glitchy one, that comes off something a bit different live. I guess it's more upfront, and faster, and loses some of the twitch. Cute keyboard girl backing vox could be turned down a notch, and winds up sounding a little repetitive, but still loads of fun. Looked almost like a repeat with the same layout, and the same Paul S and his band of clapping hands. Goofballs

Forgot to mention the new Blonde Redhead yesterday, but that's been easily my most listened to record of late. Pretty intoxicating stuff, even if a bit fluffy. I think there's around 5 full mp3 available online at various places, mostly 192K quality too. If you get a chance to hear "The Dress", give it a shot. Probably the highlight. I'll upload it to my site later and edit in a link, leave it for a day or so. Maybe it will be the inaugural Davey's song of the day (or probably week). Don't know how long my site will stay up since I haven't been paying for almost six months, but I can still ftp to it. Guess it would be silly of them to disable it just for a few MBytes of storage. Maybe if I get a bunch of mp3 downloads going they will notice

EDIT: and here it is, presenting the silly new but soon to be discontinued, catch it while you can, Davey's Song of the Day!!!!
    Last edited by Davey; 04-19-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Forum Regular
    Forgot to mention the new Blonde Redhead yesterday, but that's been easily my most listened to record of late. Pretty intoxicating stuff, even if a bit fluffy. I think there's around 5 full mp3 available online at various places, mostly 192K quality too. If you get a chance to hear "The Dress", give it a shot. Probably the highlight. I'll upload it to my site later and edit in a link, leave it for a day or so. Maybe it will be the inaugural Davey's song of the day (or probably week). Don't know how long my site will stay up since I haven't been paying for almost six months, but I can still ftp to it. Guess it would be silly of them to disable it just for a few MBytes of storage. Maybe if I get a bunch of mp3 downloads going they will notice
    Thanks for the link again, fluffy as you say, but right up my street. It's just hit my wishlist.

Forgot to mention I finally did a 2 disc best of 2006 and some of it might interest you, if you want a copy pm me with your address. I sent a few copies out a few weeks ago but didn't have your address at the time. Here's the tracklist....

Disc 1 Strange Days
    1. Snow Patrol - Open Your Eyes (5:38)
    2. Shack - Tie Me Down (3:30)
    3. Guster - Satellite (4:30)
    4. Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance (5:27)
    5. Flaming Lips - It Overtakes Me (6:46)
    6. Built To Spill - Liar (5:07)
    7. Alexi Murdoch - Blue Mind (5:38)
    8. Kate Bush - An Architects Dream (4:44)
    9. Ray Lamontagne - Barfly (3:52)
    10. Marconi Union - Sleepless (5:37)
    11. Thievery Corporation - Strange Days (4:18)
    12. Zero Seven - Crosses (6:34)
    13. Now It’s Overhead - Walls (3:41)
    14. Yo La Tengo - Pass The Hatchet…(10:40)
    15. Electric President - Snow On Dead…(3:21)

Disc 2 So This Is Goodbye
    1. Sparklehorse - Shade and Honey (4:08)
    2. Sunshine Underground- Dead Scene (3:55)
    3. Amy Winehouse - Rehab (3:34)
    4. Beck - Think I’m in Love (3:19)
    5. Absentee - Getaway (2:54)
    6. The Infadels - Love Like Semtex (3:47)
    7. Twilight Singers - Dead to Right (4:25)
    8. The Hold Steady - Chillout Tent (3:42)
    9. Graham Coxon - See a Better Day (5:11)
    10. Grandaddy - Elevate Myself (3:41)
    11. Gomez - Girl Shaped Love Drug
    12. The Decemberists - O’ Valencia (4:18)
    13. Bonnie Prince Billy - Strange Form Of Life
    14. Junior Boys - So This is Goodby (5:19)
    15. Scott Matthews - Elusive (3:43)
    16. The Guillemots - If The World Ends (6:20)
    17. Calexico - Deep Down (4:31)
    18. Midlake - Roscoe (4:49)
    19. The Secret Machines - Lightning Blue Eyes (5:31)

Cheers
    Mike

those discs are really great Mike...thanks a ton. I like the second one best, although both are quite good, and much new to me.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    those discs are really great Mike...thanks a ton. I like the second one best, although both are quite good, and much new to me.
    No problem, glad you like them

Cheers
    Mike

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Siouxsie & The Banshees: JuJu & Once Upon A Time (RAE, if you don't mind kinda scratchy burns of old vinyl, let me know if you wanna hear these)
    'Scool. I'll probably just find 'em when I find 'em-- I did put them on my wishlist so I'll remember to keep an eye out when I'm vinyl shopping.

~Rae

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox

Well, I got laid off last week, so I'm on indefinate Fridays, so...
    That sucks. Didn't you just start a new job not too long ago, or am I confusing you with someone else?

I hope that you find something else real soon. In the meantime, try to enjoy some relaxation time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information