Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
    Listen to it yourself.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Forum Regular
    I was introduced to the music of Hugh Masekela late last year and finally got the CD about one week ago. Even though this music was recorded loonng time ago it's new to me. Great recording with lots of felt sentiment throughout the tracks, especially, the last track. Hugh Masekela- Hope- Live

Here are some listener reviews:
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hope
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

Forum Regular

Hey F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    BarryL bought me the newest Kathleen Edwards disk for my birthday. It's quite different from her previous disks which had her earning comparisons to Lucinda Williams. This new album is much more upbeat and melodic than previous albums...and that's a good thing. After two spins I'm really enjoying it.
    Thanks for this tidbit. I never have heard of her but I think I am gonna have to order some of her music. I like Lucinda Williams music so should K.E. should be a sure bet to like.

Thanks!
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Thanks for this tidbit. I never have heard of her but I think I am gonna have to order some of her music. I like Lucinda Williams music so should K.E. should be a sure bet to like.

Thanks!
    I don't like Lucinda, but I do like Kathleen so YMMV. You may want to check out some samples first. There's quite a bit on YouTube.

This is kinda random, given the age of this thread, but I'm coming around quite a bit more on Shearwater's Animal Joy. while I won't disagree with Davey's assessment on the quality of recording I mainly have been listening during workouts and the sound quality is not significantly less than anything else I listen to while lifting. Think I'll head over to Vinyl Renaissance this weekend and see if they have the big discs.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Been listening to the recent Ekstasis by Julia Holter quite a bit and it's definitely got a lot of appeal for fans of strange and ethereal ladies. Pretty well recorded NYC show on youtube below ... the Für Felix song starting a little before 14 minutes in is one of the highlights on the new record.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    ^ I'm liking that Julia Holter a lot too. LP sounds really nice too - good headphone album, 45 rpm w/ lots of dynamics and layers.
    'Nother quirky female vocalist, Fiona Apple's new one is really great - very stuck in my head lately.
    Mt. Eerie put out one of my favorites I've heard from them, Clear Moon. As usual, great production and sound on this and a seamless blend of introspective folky 'indie-rock' (?) and what he calls Black Wooden Metal - acoustic based droning slo-mo doom. Very poetic, beautiful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyhambone View Post
    ^ I'm liking that Julia Holter a lot too. LP sounds really nice too - good headphone album, 45 rpm w/ lots of dynamics and layers.
    Yea, the CD isn't bad either, though somewhat limited in dynamics (see below for those interested - also Fur Felix up at song of the day). Good to hear about the vinyl. She reminds me of Laurie Anderson at times, but with the use of drones it takes on the feel of something by Sheila Chandra, both very inventive and fun artists. And of course the inevitable Kate Bush comparisons, but less so for me. Surprisingly addictive.

Thanks for the heads up on Mt. Eerie!

foobar2000 1.1.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2012-07-04 14:58:37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Julia Holter / Ekstasis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR8 -0.10 dB -11.48 dB 5:25 01-Marienbad
    DR9 -0.10 dB -12.58 dB 6:16 02-Our Sorrows
    DR9 -0.10 dB -11.56 dB 3:58 03-In the Same Room
    DR9 -0.10 dB -12.87 dB 8:20 04-Boy In the Moon
    DR9 -0.10 dB -12.81 dB 4:11 05-Für Felix
    DR8 -0.10 dB -10.70 dB 6:23 06-Goddess Eyes II
    DR10 -0.10 dB -13.09 dB 3:31 07-Moni Mon Amie
    DR9 -0.10 dB -13.76 dB 6:13 08-Four Gardens
    DR8 -0.30 dB -10.91 dB 3:40 09-Goddess Eyes I
    DR8 -0.10 dB -12.33 dB 8:55 10-This is Ekstasis

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR9

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 701 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ===============================================

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Been enjoying the new Great Lake Swimmers: New Wild Everywhere. Pretty mellow.

I really like the new Smashing Pumpkins: Oceania

Anyone hear the new Keane? I read somewhere that it was supposed to be a return to early form.

Anyone hear the new Cult? Been a while since I bought a Cult album or remember hearing a song from them. I've heard from others its pretty good.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    Been enjoying the new Great Lake Swimmers: New Wild Everywhere. Pretty mellow.

I really like the new Smashing Pumpkins: Oceania

Anyone hear the new Keane? I read somewhere that it was supposed to be a return to early form.

Anyone hear the new Cult? Been a while since I bought a Cult album or remember hearing a song from them. I've heard from others its pretty good.
    Did not dig the pumpkins a single bit but I know a lot of others like yourself that enjoy it. Oddly enough, the carbon copy otherwise known as The Silversun Pickups "Neck Of The Woods" was something I found quite entertaining.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Funny, I got tired of Smashing Pumpkins a few years ago, but did like the Silversun Pickups:Carnavas album. I was less than impressed with the follow-up to that album and haven't heard any of the latest one.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    I'm such a slut, a music slut...
    been buying/listening to a lot of new stuff.
    Ty Segall - Slaughterhouse, so good for garage-y punk with serious hooks and walls of sound backing it all up.

Sigur Ros - Valtari, ambient and organic. beautifull. listen to this a lot while I'm weeding the garden at dawn...a new past-time with a 2 1/2 yr. old.

just ordered the new Codeine box set from the Numero Group...very psyched...a fantastic band who mines the subtle spaces between the notes and should be a great vinyl repress that was done with a real attention to detail..

Circle - Manner , surprising and weird...like a prog. rock Judas Priest with a handful of Scandinavian doom drone thrown in. Awesome.

new Dirty Three sounds great and makes me psyched to see them live in Sept. similar sound to older stuff but slightly less frenetic and a bit more ambient...

Mt. Eerie - Clear Moon , great album, a bit dour but rich sounding and poetic. Curious for the 'big' release in Oct. ( a similar but, supposedly, richer, heavier, more layered album)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information