Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yes. I was referring to last night's game...

I don't like others.

Sex Pistols aren't my favorite punk band, but they were hugely influential in the scene. Sure, the Ramones and others were first, but it was the Pistols who got things noteriety, especially in England where punk was hugely popular for a while, but even in the US many more people weer aware of Sex Pistols than the Ramones. Maybe 30 years past, just the one record and some publicity doesn't look like much, but back then they were the only punk band that actually garnered press attention in the US, and in those pre-internet days having a band get some mentions in Rolling Stone or a newspaper, or getting a song out on the airwaves at 2 in the morning on some new music show, or having an import record make the rounds of the music folks around town was a big deal, especially for anybody not living in New York. And, hey it is a really great record from the genre, and the genre has stood the test of time and has strertched its influence far into the musical landscape of rock even today. Personally, I don't really give a shiot about the rock and roll hall of fame and don't really know much of who is and who isn't in it, but if there's gonna be one, I'd think the Sex Pistols would be a shoo in.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    i'll venture that the Sex Pistols embody the spirit of rock and roll far more than some other acts in the Hall of Fame *cough*Eagles*cough cough*. At a time when rock was increasingly boring, lazy, bloated, and self-absorbed, they came along and placed a swift kick in the ass to the complacent mainstream. and were largely responsible for the birth of the punk movement. it's not every artist you can say were responsible for an entirely new musical genre.

while it may not be to everyone's test, Bollocks is a great rock record. and you gotta admit, their influence on the music world that came after was pretty massive. would there have been a Clash without the Pistols? a Jam? Nirvana? possibly, but i'm pretty certain that Paul Weller and members of the Clash have said that it was seeing the Pistols that inspired them to form their own bands.
    Couldn't agree more...plus without the oistols we wouldn't have had Social distortion and Sisters of Mercy--hugely influential!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information