Forum Regular

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker MoFi SACD

Has anyone gotten the recently released MoFi reissue on SACD yet? I came late to the Ryan Adams party but picked up Gold and Rock N' Roll on SACD and love'em. I've got Demolition and Love Is Hell on CD as well but have never heard Heartbreaker.

A guy that's a big fan of his since Whiskeytown said if I liked all of the other albums I'd probably like it...any thoughts before I drop $20?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillB
    Has anyone gotten the recently released MoFi reissue on SACD yet? I came late to the Ryan Adams party but picked up Gold and Rock N' Roll on SACD and love'em. I've got Demolition and Love Is Hell on CD as well but have never heard Heartbreaker.

A guy that's a big fan of his since Whiskeytown said if I liked all of the other albums I'd probably like it...any thoughts before I drop $20?

Bill
    IMO Heartbreaker is the only Ryan Adams album you need, so yes, get it. When Gold was a new release I checked it out of the library but aside from a couple of songs it bored me to death and was waaayy too long with far too much filler.

I have Heartbreaker on LP and while the sonics are nice it does suffer from a lot of surface noise so I'll be grabbing the SACD as well. I very, very seldom buy the same album twice just because of a better format or remastering so that should give you some idea how much I like this album. All the songs are solid and it clocks in at reasonable length. No filler here!
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Another nod of agreement for Heartbreaker. I've only heard bits and pieces of his other albums, but Heartbreaker is fantastic.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar

Speaking of MoFi...

I saw in the store today, two CD's (not SACD's) of John Lennon's Imagine and Plastic Ono Band -- did those just come out, and why didn't they come out on SACD, any clues?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Dusty,

It's my understanding that "Imagine" is the more recent of the two but that they've both been released within the past year or so. I'm not sure why MoFi didn't give them the SACD treatment but I can tell you that "Plastic Ono Band" sound incredible compared to the original (not recently remastered) CD version.

How does MoFi go about picking which recordings/artists to remaster?

Bill

Yeah so I just discovered Heartbreaker tonight. The songwriting and the music on this thing is excellent but the production is amazing. It's an analog recording with impeccable integrity and dynamics. The vocals come out front so far at times that you can pet them.

FWIW, I do have the SACD and it sounds every bit as good as the 180 gram LP, minus the surface noise of course. Wow, old thread.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Wouldn't you have to say removal of surface noise makes the SACD sound better, not just "every bit as good"? Or dues surface noise add to the experience for you somehow?

FWIW I listened last night via 145 kb VBR MP3. Production on this one is probably strong enough to cut through all kinds of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevio
    Wouldn't you have to say removal of surface noise makes the SACD sound better, not just "every bit as good"? Or dues surface noise add to the experience for you somehow?

FWIW I listened last night via 145 kb VBR MP3. Production on this one is probably strong enough to cut through all kinds of crap.
    I have a few other albums on both LP and SACD and usually the LPs are a little better in terms of detail and soundstage. On Heartbreaker however the sonics are absolutely equal. Obviously the lack of surface noise is a plus, especially on this recording which has many quite passages.

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

42 Regular
    I don't have much of his solo stuff, but Whiskeytown's Strangers Almanac has long been one of my favorites for sonics. Makes my mid-fi system sound about $1000 better!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I have a few other albums on both LP and SACD and usually the LPs are a little better in terms of detail and soundstage. On Heartbreaker however the sonics are absolutely equal. Obviously the lack of surface noise is a plus, especially on this recording which has many quite passages.

NP:
    I remember my vinyl copy as bordering on unlistenable due to the surface noise and inner grrove distortion, I'm definitely going to look into the SACD as I've had to settle for the redbood CD for my fix on this great album.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Thread Information