Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rush- 2112

Rush- 2112

Discuss.

Suspended
    Oddly enough, i recently listened to that disk all the way through for the first time....and the last. I can't take the cocals, music ain't bad tho.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Freakin' awesome man!

You're wrong Hyfi, the cocals totally rock!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Freakin' awesome man!

Oddly enough...

Edit: I wonder if he lives in Socal, and has for a while?

Then he'd be Cocal, the Socal local.

One of Rush's all time best CD's IMO. I had recorded an interview that a radio station (i95) in CT had with Rush years ago. Geddy talked about how much work that they had put into Caress of Steel (their first concept album) only to have it not be as popular as their first two records. They were faced with a choice for their 4th record. Go back to what worked for the first record, or say screw it and do what they wanted. 2112 was the result. They went ahead with what they wanted to do. You can even feel a little of their anger in it.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Oh, forgot to mention. At the tender age of 16, this was the first concert that I ever went to.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Love it....but I loved all of Rush.......and still do. Neil Peart is the best.

frenchmon

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Freakin' awesome man!

Man, I fat fingered that one. Sorry, i just can't agree. Same thing goes for Journey after the first 3 albums.

More music, Less vocals!

Not bad, not bad....Boston did it better, though!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Man, I fat fingered that one. Sorry, i just can't agree. Same thing goes for Journey after the first 3 albums.

More music, Less vocals!
    Hated Journey....sissy stuff.

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Not bad, not bad....Boston did it better, though!

Dont know what anybody saw in Boston....Now Kansas was a different story.

frenchmon

I can dig Kansas...Left Overture was a classic. Still, does Kansas get put in the same bin as Boston, Rush and (God forbid) Journey? I thought their country-like sound was distinctive, if not distinguished!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    Hated Journey....sissy stuff.

frenchmon
    Have you even heard the first 3 discs before Perry joined & took over?

Awesome prog-rock stuff.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Agreed on the first three Journey albums. Topaz is one of rock's greatest instrumentals. Dig that fro!

I'm not gaga over 2112, but it is a fun listen. Their performance of it on All The World's A Stage is better than the studio version IMHO. Moving Pictures is my coming of age Rush album.

Killer killer band.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Speaking of Prog, I've been giving this a turn today...

Thanks for the tip on Journey's first three. I'll give 'em a listen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

nightflier

Why...

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Discuss.

...isn't the world going to end 100 years sooner?

Yep, thanks you Satanists and onanists and preverts and degenrites and pot smokers an...an...uh, never mind!

nightflier
    Hey what's wrong with pot-smoking? It's legal now!

(and the Amsterdam tourist industry is in tears...)

Let this be a caution to ya!

(BTW, let it run a coupla secs to clear up).

Suspended
    I'm with FA on 2112. What the.... is cocals? I know I'll hate myself for asking but it's my nature. I really like the side of Caress Of Steel that has Bastille Day. The last song on that side is terribly under rated.

Kansas, Country? Some one is confused.

Boston done nothing, nothing! better than Rush.

I also, happen to like Journey. All of it up to Escape and a few songs after that.

NF, I think you smoked one too many, if pot is legal then some one had better tell my state and every state around it.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Have you even heard the first 3 discs before Perry joined & took over?

Awesome prog-rock stuff.

Never thought about it that way FP. I may have to check that out. I always lumped Journey in with Styx and REO Speedwagon. Not with Kansas and Boston.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Suspended
    Jack, I guess I don't get your difference between Boston and Styx or REO. Certainly all are equally as commercial and over played. Too bad the stations don't dig into the Kansas catalog like they should.

Neal Schon and Greg Rollie did a couple of the first Santana albums before leaving to form Journey. They did 3 albums before hiring Perry as front man. You can sort of hear the early influences still on Infinity, which is probably my overall favorite, but as they go on the sound begins to transition more and more. I'm a big Rollie fan, even on Evolution and Departure he does some tasty keyboard. I'd like to talk to one of those guys and ask what was behind Departure. it was pretty much a departure having it's own feel apart from other Journey albums. Some stellar keys on I'm Crying, a great song which I don't think ever hit the radio.

Uh..... Rush.....yeah.... I remember. I think what made 2112 so great is the concept side was equally as good or better than the other side with regular tracks. I'd say equally as good in my book because I like the whole album. Albums like Caress Of Steel and, Hemispheres just wasn't up to par on the concept side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Never thought about it that way FP. I may have to check that out. I always lumped Journey in with Styx and REO Speedwagon. Not with Kansas and Boston.
    We've discussed this a while back, and I put together a compilation of what I thought were the best songs off the 1st 3 discs. If anyone wants to hear it, just PM me and I can send you one.

fp

Yes, those first 3 Journey albums are TOTALLY different than the stuff that came later. Few people know that Journey was Santana's band on his first couple of albums (generally considered to be the best Santana albums). They split from him and took their excellent chops in a more prog direction . . . but the connection to the early Santana sound is unmistakable if you care to look for it.

But 2112, can you believe I've never heard it? And I consider myself something of a Rush fan having played the snot out of Farewell to Kings when I was 16 and Moving Pictures and the string of 80s synth albums in my 20s and 30s. I hated the screechy earlier albums like Caress of Steel or the S/T one and didn't like Hemispheres at all, so 2112 just slipped thru the cracks for me. Funny, huh?

Suspended
    Troy, you have to hear 2112. If you listen to any rock radio you probably heard songs off of it. I only like a couple off Hemispheres. Email or PM me if you wish and I will hook you up.

There was a LP double album out called Journey, In The Beginning that was a comp of the first three albums. Not sure if it was ever on CD. If so, probably went out of print when the first three were released on CD. I had that LP and kicking myself for letting it go. I have the CD's but I believe the LP sounds better. Not a vinyl vs. CD thing, just the CD's are not the best sound quality and I don't remember ever being dissatisfied with the sound of the LP.

Any way Winston, take Finchy up on his kind offer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information