Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

The rock I've been under...

Ok, I just feel like I crawled out from under a rock...

I don't know how I missed the White Stripes so completely. I just picked up Elephant.
    Wow, is it good! I feel a buying binge coming on.

I like everything on it, but the stand out tracks for me so far are
    There's no home for you here
    In the Cold, Cold, Night
    I want to be the boy to warm your Mother's Heart
    You've got her in your pocket (fantastic)
    Ball and biscuit (yeeesss)
    The air near my fingers

I like the faster, punkier songs too. I'm just more easily impressed by the more personal and bluesier ones.

Recommendations for the next two albums?

A rock? I thought you were over at SVI's site.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff

I don't know how I missed the White Stripes so completely. I just picked up Elephant.
    Wow, is it good! I feel a buying binge coming on...
    I'm beginning to suspect that I've been under the same rock. I'm waiting for an evaluation comp to arrive to confirm this suspicion.

I just rewrote this 'cause I though at first you said you liked the harder stuff best.

But, since you say the opposite, I'll recommend Get Behind Me Satan first as it's their quietest album. And, if you'd be interested in their stripped down lo-fi bluesy mode, go for De Stijl. The new one, Icky Thump, is great but mostly harder stuff, and White Blood Cells is really good, but again more uptempo, although not as much as Icky Thump. Their first self-titled is probably only for die hard fans. It' a lo-fi garage rock sorta thing; good but pretty far from what they sound like on Elephant.

I like all their records, and they have at least one killer single on all of 'em. These guys are gonna have a monster of a Greatest Hits album someday.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I just rewrote this 'cause I though at first you said you liked the harder stuff best.

But, since you say the opposite, I'll recommend Get Behind Me Satan first as it's their quietest album. And, if you'd be interested in their stripped down lo-fi bluesy mode, go for De Stijl. The new one, Icky Thump, is great but mostly harder stuff, and White Blood Cells is really good, but again more uptempo, although not as much as Icky Thump. Their first self-titled is probably only for die hard fans. It' a lo-fi garage rock sorta thing; good but pretty far from what they sound like on Elephant.

I like all their records, and they have at least one killer single on all of 'em. These guys are gonna have a monster of a Greatest Hits album someday.
    Heh, thanks. I caught the reverse and decided to take the opposite of your advise. Which is now exactly what you've got above. ;-)

Thanks!
    Last edited by noddin0ff; 06-28-2007 at 10:50 AM.

If you like the more polished 'Stripes (relatively speaking) you should also be considering The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers. Me, I prefer the punkier stuff so White Blood Cells and Icky Thump are my faves. Hell, I even like the debut (almost worth buying for "Broken Bricks" alone).

NP: (advance)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Yeah, largely due to your comp, I finally picked up the Raconteurs too. In the same sense as Elephant, BBS also has a spectrum of sounds that make the whole album worth a listen. Now that I'm belatedly connecting the dots, I'm happy there's music worth listening to again.

And btw, I want to thank Slosh, Nobody, and Jim Clark for the 2006 Year end comps. All three get much listening. Well done all three of you, and many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff

Wow, is it good! I feel a buying binge coming on.

I like everything on it, but the stand out tracks for me so far are
    There's no home for you here
    In the Cold, Cold, Night
    I want to be the boy to warm your Mother's Heart
    You've got her in your pocket (fantastic)
    Ball and biscuit (yeeesss)
    The air near my fingers

I like the faster, punkier songs too. I'm just more easily impressed by the more personal and bluesier ones.

Recommendations for the next two albums?
    Welcome to the year 2003.

Thread Information