Rae

RIP Trish Keenan of Broadcast

Sad.

link

~Rae

Rae
    I'm a little surprised that this one didn't get more play.

Been listening to a lot of Broadcast all day today (their 4 proper LPs plus the two singles collections) and reflecting on an underrated catalog. I think Davey probably brought this band into the Rave Recs collective consciousness around the time of their first full-length, The Noise Made By People, and I really got into them when I was cohabitating with a woman who listened to Tender Buttons obsessively circa 2005. Their overall aesthetic could sometimes be too formal for me but listening to the sum total of their output now it seems to be peppered with moments of unbridled joy and vulnerability. Any band that records something as delicately beautiful as the stark and wobbly "Echo's Answer" has already cemented their legacy with me.

It sounds like Trish contracted H1N1 flu while the band was in Australia last month which led to the pneumonia that eventually killed her. Only 42 years old.

Anyway, here's a short sampler of Broadcast songs that have been in heavy rotation around these parts in the last 48 hours:

10 songs by broadcast [320kbps mp3]

~Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I'm a little surprised that this one didn't get more play
    Sad news ...
    Flac link still up at the we like it lossless! blog ... http://welikeitlossless.blogspot.com...by-people.html ... one of my favorite hangs when I have some spare bandwidth to burn. Broadcast never really did it completely for me, but quality music.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    catching up here and elsewhere - had my computer, camera and a bunch of stuff ripped off out of our house last week. All the music and photos on computer and the backup h.d. gone...bummer.
    also a bummer re: Trish and this great band. I don't know too much of them but really like HaHa Sound and Tender Buttons - thanks for the comp. link! What's up with lovely singers in this style of music?...Mary Hansen (Stereolab) being hit by a car in Holland a few years ago and now Trish Keenan...reminding us of our brutal mortality by going in ways too easy to relate to. sad.

Rae
    Really sorry to hear about yr stuff getting ripped off, jonny. That's some infuriating shit. Hope it gets recovered. If there's any local stuff you lost that I might have, let me know.

~Rae

Yeah, I have that CD because of your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Sad news ...
    Flac link still up at the we like it lossless! blog ... http://welikeitlossless.blogspot.com...by-people.html ... one of my favorite hangs when I have some spare bandwidth to burn. Broadcast never really did it completely for me, but quality music.
    I do like it and it's sad that she died so young. Damn.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    Yeah, I have that CD because of your recommendation. I do like it and it's sad that she died so young. Damn.
    Probably wasn't because of my recommendation, I think it was getting a lot of attention around here before I gave it a go as evidenced in the dbi blurb below...btw, check out the old Tunesday thread below - 57 posts long! Today you may get 3, and at least one is likely just a pity response

Broadcast - The Noise Made By People
    Only one listen as background so far. I had listened in the store over a year ago and dismissed it at the time as too much like my beloved Stereolab but with the almost unanimous raving around here decided to give it another go. Not sure yet but haven't really listened.

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EEB905F.php

Last play: Antlers - Hospice (something that has really grown on me over the last year or so)

Rae
    Geez, Davey, thanks for bumping an old thread where I said I liked the Chemical Brothers. Oh well. In my defense I think I was 19 when I was posting that.

~Rae

I stand corrected on Broadcast and really like that Antlers..

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Probably wasn't because of my recommendation, I think it was getting a lot of attention around here before I gave it a go as evidenced in the dbi blurb below...btw, check out the old Tunesday thread below - 57 posts long! Today you may get 3, and at least one is likely just a pity response

Broadcast - The Noise Made By People
    Only one listen as background so far. I had listened in the store over a year ago and dismissed it at the time as too much like my beloved Stereolab but with the almost unanimous raving around here decided to give it another go. Not sure yet but haven't really listened.

http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EEB905F.php

Last play: Antlers - Hospice (something that has really grown on me over the last year or so)
    ...record. I used one track on my 'secret Santa' cd that I sent to noddinoff. The Bear I believe it's called. Great song and so relevant as a friend is in hospice care right now. She's been a friend of my oldest sister since they were kids and I worked for her and her husband when I was in college. Great people and so sad that she's going to be gone soon.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Thread Information