Rae

Record collectors: What's yr 'holy grail'? What do you do once you find it?

Davey introduced me to this wonderful Life Without Buildings record some years ago, and while the CD version came into my hands pretty easily, the vinyl proved to be much more elusive. The label (Tugboat) that pressed it went under shortly after it was released, and the band itself ceased to exist not long after, so no new label picked it up. Over the past few years, it became the first thing I looked for whenever I visited a new record store or auction site, but it never turned up until a few weeks ago, when I got an alert from my Discogs want list and was able to purchase it for a pretty reasonable price. It feels weird to own it now... I guess the time that I started obsessively listening to the album was around the same time I started expanding my vinyl collection in earnest, so it's always been near the top of my want list. I don't even know what will occupy that spot now. Still, awesome band, awesome record, and only the better part of a decade to track it down. ;-)

~Rae

Now that's a cool find! I'd take care of that one, it'll be worth some good money (just checked amazon and it appears the CD is even worth some money now). There's a ton of very nice little records strewn throughout the 90s (well, I guess this one nudges the 00s) that people will be discovering and rediscovering quite a ways into the future, and I think this may be one of them. Then again, i've been wrong before

In the mid to late 90s, I used to always search for Luna's first 3 releases, Lunapark, Bewitched and Penthouse on vinyl. I had them all on CD, but Pup Tent was released on Beggar's Banquet UK vinyl and it sounded incredible, so I really wanted the others. And I did finally find Penthouse on Beggars too, and loved it. But could never find the others. Sadly, later found out that Bewitched was never (and still hasn't been) released on vinyl. and the first one only made a short-lived Aussie appearance. Seems odd since Dean was a big vinyl fan, and the Galaxie 500 stuff is readily available on vinyl. Guess it must be that Elektra won't license them or something. I'm pretty sure they could sell a bunch of copies.

I found Lunapark on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Now that's a cool find! I'd take care of that one, it'll be worth some good money (just checked amazon and it appears the CD is even worth some money now). There's a ton of very nice little records strewn throughout the 90s (well, I guess this one nudges the 00s) that people will be discovering and rediscovering quite a ways into the future, and I think this may be one of them. Then again, i've been wrong before

In the mid to late 90s, I used to always search for Luna's first 3 releases, Lunapark, Bewitched and Penthouse on vinyl. I had them all on CD, but Pup Tent was released on Beggar's Banquet UK vinyl and it sounded incredible, so I really wanted the others. And I did finally find Penthouse on Beggars too, and loved it. But could never find the others. Sadly, later found out that Bewitched was never (and still hasn't been) released on vinyl. and the first one only made a short-lived Aussie appearance. Seems odd since Dean was a big vinyl fan, and the Galaxie 500 stuff is readily available on vinyl. Guess it must be that Elektra won't license them or something. I'm pretty sure they could sell a bunch of copies.
    Let's see if you can outbid Swishdaddy!

LUNA lunapark LP 12 trk but has light creasing and smal | eBay
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

I think in the world of Ebay and Gemm and other online sources there's not a lot of records out there that you just can't find. It gets more to the point that there are records you may not want to pay for. I've got a list I always keep my eyes open for a copy that I can pick up without breaking the bank. But none of them are things I couldn't grab online somewhere if I was willing to fork over the cash.

I did come across one old favorite I grew up playing to death in my late teen years a couple weeks ago. It was Posh Hits Vol. 1, on Posh Boy Records and has tracks by the Nuns, Circle Jerks, Simpletones, UXA, Red Cross, CHannel 3, Stepmothers and more. Found a copy for about 10 bucks and grabbed it.

But my list includes a bunch of old hardcore records, more than a few of which I sold off and have regretted ever since, some early 90s stuff that had limited vinyl runs like Tricky's first album and KLF's Chill Out. Then there are a ton of good jazz records I would like copies of and some specific vintage country things. But again, none of these are impossible to find online over the course of waiting on Ebay for a few months, sometimes a bit longer on a few obscurities. But, I've just not felt interested in spending for me big bucks in most of these cases and will gather them slowly as they turn up in less likely places.

I guess I really don't have anything I'm seeking out. I'd like to have the Nerves EP and I know I can find it online if I really want it. Some early pressings of the Kinks 60s albums would be cool too, but I'm not actively looking for them.

I guess I'm more in the "get what I find through scrounging" mode these days than actually seeking stuff out.

I found these at the record store the other day, which I was happy to find:

And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

I remember when Slint was Rae's holy grail. Rae, I'm comfortable that you will have little problem coming up with a new grail shortly. I haven't been desperately seeking anything since I finally found all the Mortal Micronotz albums on vinyl from some dude in the Netherlands. I think I gave about 20 bucks a piece for them but I would have paid a whole lot more.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Right now, I guess I don't really have a holy grail. I used to, but then I found ebay and that all changed a few years ago.

The only thing I'm constantly on the lookout for is a good copy of Buckingham Nicks or Steven Miller's Singing Whale Songs in a Low Voice, neither of which ever made it to CD. Even those aren't truly holy grail since I have found people with copies who've burned them to CD-R (in the case of Steven Miller impeccably so). Not the same as owning them though. I wouldn't mind finding a CD copy of Cabaret Voltaire-Code. I have that on CD-R as well.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    Right now, I guess I don't really have a holy grail. I used to, but then I found ebay and that all changed a few years ago.
    I wouldn't mind finding a CD copy of Cabaret Voltaire-Code. I have that on CD-R as well.
    Nice! I do actually have Code on vinyl and will have to spin it tonite...been awhile. One of my big searches was C.V.'s Arm of the Lord for a long time - I only had my cassette tape of it from high school days...recently found a nice vinyl copy for $6 !
    Most of the things I long for can be found if I'm willing to pay thanks to, like you said 3LB, the internets. I'd also been really hunting down The Raincoats Odyshape album which I finally 'won' on ebay for too much $. Now, of course, it's getting the reissue treatment...oh well - still a good one to have.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    Nerves EP
    I ordered that one on 10" from Italy years back-- probably one of the first things I've ever owned on vinyl. $25 ppd but I doubt that particular edition's available anymore. It's on cherry red vinyl and I still spin it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    I remember when Slint was Rae's holy grail.
    Haha, I can't find that thread in the archives but you're slightly misremembering it. There was a time when Slint's Spiderland was OOP on CD and I didn't own a copy. I was shocked to stumble upon it in the used bin of the Uptown Cheapo for $4.95. When I asked the clerk why it was priced so low (at the time it was going online for upwards of $30), he said "maybe it's just not very good." Alas, that copy has long since passed out of my hands when the vinyl reissue rendered it obsolete. I think you can still get that album on LP for around ten bucks.

~Rae

Hello All, it's been a long time (almost 2 years since I last signed in). YIKES! Where does the time go?

I chased after a Roger Water's LP (Amused to Death) for quite some time. It was a special pressing. I finally found it through GEMM at a fairly reasonable price. It was a special pressing but I don't recall all the particulars. What did I do with it? I have played and enjoyed it immensely.

Hope you are all well. Great post, Rae.

Best,
    M
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Davey introduced me to this wonderful Life Without Buildings record some years ago...
    Still love that Any Other City debut to pieces, listening to it again today, and still knocks me out. Many people say that no really "new" music gets made today, but I'd disagree, and this would be proof. Not sure how much was Sue Tompkins, and how much was the band, but they created a unique vision of rock music, and they delivered on the music too. It's disappointing that there just aren't enough people willing to fall in love with music anymore to keep a band like this active. But they created something endearing that will hopefully endure beyond the occasional music discussion board reference.

I missed out on another one last year ... What new-to-you artist(s) did you purchase this year (2013)? | Page 2 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I guess I really don't have anything I'm seeking out. I'd like to have the Nerves EP and I know I can find it online if I really want it. Some early pressings of the Kinks 60s albums would be cool too, but I'm not actively looking for them.

I guess I'm more in the "get what I find through scrounging" mode these days than actually seeking stuff out.

I found these at the record store the other day, which I was happy to find:

That Lime Spiders is a frickin' classic. I may have that somewhere, too. But I gots it on CD as well.

So, what do I do with this LP copy I have of Rush's Hemispheres that has Creedence on one side?

Thread Information