Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

50th anniversary soundtrack help

I've been nominated by my wife to put together a comp for my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary party. (Of course my wife's nomination doesn't need a second so I got the job.) I'm looking for standards and fun rock-n-roll tracks from the 50s and 60s. Nothing weird, but nothing too plain and boring either. I've accumulated some Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin (imagine that), Bobby Darrin, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Ronettes, Frankie Valli (only one song because his voice irritates me on everything except Can't Keep My Eyes Off You), Roy Orbison, Otis Redding, etc., but I'm drawing a blank with female artists. I would like to even it out a little. I only have 3 female tracks so far.

Do you have any favorite female artists from the 50s and 60s - solo or groups? Any standout songs from that era will help too (love/relationship type songs, but not too sappy).

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Do you have any favorite female artists from the 50s and 60s - solo or groups? Any standout songs from that era will help too (love/relationship type songs, but not too sappy).
    All pretty standard but what about

Dusty Springfield - Son of a preacher man
    Peggy Lee - Fever
    Nina Simone - My baby just cares for me
    Dinah Washington - Mad about the boy
    Julie London - Boy from Ipanema
    Dionne warwick - did most of the Burt Bacharach songbook
    Aretha Franklin or Ella Fitzgerald - too much to coose from
    Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas you can't go wrong plundering the Motown catalogue

Or what about some big band stuff from Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Duke Ellington and the like still very popular in the 50-60s and often featured female vocalists

Cheers
    Mike

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    All pretty standard but what about

Dusty Springfield - Son of a preacher man
    Peggy Lee - Fever
    Nina Simone - My baby just cares for me
    Dinah Washington - Mad about the boy
    Julie London - Boy from Ipanema
    Dionne warwick - did most of the Burt Bacharach songbook
    Aretha Franklin or Ella Fitzgerald - too much to coose from
    Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas you can't go wrong plundering the Motown catalogue

Or what about some big band stuff from Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Duke Ellington and the like still very popular in the 50-60s and often featured female vocalists

Cheers
    Mike
    Thanks, Mike. I put together two 25-track comps with some of your suggestions. I had the Nina Simone and a couple of versions of Fever, but I tracked down the Peggy Lee version and went with it - also threw in a Petula Clark track, an excellent version of Love Letters by Ketty Lester (Blue Velvet soundtrack), a playful tune called Teach Me Tiger by April Stevens, some Patsy Cline, etc.

Patsy Cline...Connie Francis...Wanda Jackson...The Shirelles...The Ronettes...The Supremes...etc...

got Do Wop?

Trying to remember what I put on my Do Wop comp, lots of radio hits from the late fifties, early sixties like
    Duke of Earl, In the still of the night, Earth Angel, Pretty little Angel eyes, One summer night, Unchained melody, For your precious love, love potion #9 etc. Would this be the stuff that they listened to around when they got married ?
    I'd try to figure what they listened to when they were courting and play some of that. Should bring lots of good time memories back for them.

Thread Information