Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rave Recs Sampler - Revenge of the Monkey!

So....all the copies of the latest Current Rotation Sampler have been turned over to the USPS and should be arriving on your shores within the next few days after the long weekend, if you were one of the 18 contributors to this sampler. Hope you all enjoy. This was a fun one to put together and I was turned onto a lot of cool new music. Like I said in another post, it's always hard to find the right place for every song, especially when some of them are a bit outside the predominant style, which in the case of the latest CRS is a bit on the ecelctic side of indie pop/rock, with a lot of David Bowie and Frank Zappa and Brian Wilson and early Beatles influence running throughout. Along with some Gang of Four tangents and a celebration of that early LA punk meets country sound of X, And some easily digestible math rock on both ends of the comp, the early one is even xylophone enhanced, and with somewhat nonsensical lyrics from this little-known Austrian band. And we couldn't have a 2005 CRS without sneaking in one of the early knockouts of the year in the form of art-punkers from the UK, Bloc Party. What a killer rhythm section. Unless they self-destruct, these guys are here to stay for a long while. And big releases from Beck and Spoon, both Rave Recs faves. And a late rockin' country-blues arrival from Texas in the form of Bobby Bare Jr. that knocked me for a loop and invaded my head for days, and still does. I'm getting CRS flashbacks. Wait til you hear that amazing opener from Jimbo! If I ever said anything bad about his musical taste (and I know I must've because he doesn't even like the Beatles!!!!), I publicly stand corrected. Very cool.

Anyway, if you weren't one of the contributors and want to score a copy of this coolest of the cool comps, get in touch with one of those contributors because my job is done. Snooze ya lose. History. Finito!

I'll add it later to the Rave Recs Group Comps thread, but for now you can get the details from my site at http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#CRSV10. Have a great weekend. Just scored a 12-pack of Beck's on sale for $10.99 and with one of those instant $3.00 off coupons on the package, making it only $7.99! Tastes better when you get it for cheap

That's cool Davey,

Thanks for putting CRSv10 together. I look forward to hearing it very much.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Angry Hey, nobody comped me!

That's it! I'm sending all the posts to Off Topic forum from now on!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    That's it! I'm sending all the posts to Off Topic forum from now on!
    Geoffcin,

If you want to PM me with an addy, I'll hook you up when I get my copy.....
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

as for that Bobby Bare Jr. cut, the whole album is nothing less than stellar, IMO...............and thanks for reminding me I haven't spun it lately. Right after Van's new release that I picked up today.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Thanks Tentoze!

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    Geoffcin,

If you want to PM me with an addy, I'll hook you up when I get my copy.....
    But only if you tell me what the heck your Avatar is!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    But only if you tell me what the heck your Avatar is!
    O that- it's the cover to a very fine release from last year- Joseph Arthur's Our Shadows Will Remain. And that reminds me I haven't spun it lately, either- too much music........

If anyone owes me a favor...

I'd sure like to score a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    I'd sure like to score a copy.
    PM me to make sure I have a good address and I'll hook you up, brody.

Forum Regular

Talking Hey Dave looking forward to hearing it

Thanks for all the hardwork putting this thing together.

The track listing looks good with some new stuff I have marked down as wanting to hear (Beck, Spoon, 13 & God) and loads of stuff I've never even heard of before. Of course I'm sure the sequencing will be exemplary.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Of course I'm sure the sequencing will be exemplary.
    Exemplary? Hehehe, that'll be the day!

Some of it's good and some of it's not so good. Que sera. There's some rough spots in the middle but it's pretty listenable overall. I took a few liberties with some of the songs, including trimming the beginning of the tentoze selection and trimming the end of audiobill's and adding some farm noises over the slow fadeout ending of KEXPMF's to keep up the interest level for Troy's headache inducer. Little stuff like that mostly. Hope no one gets miffed. I'll make more comments later after some of them are in circulation

42 Regular
    Thanks again for doing the heavy-lifting on this one, Dave. It never occurred to me to ask before, but did you have my Batavia addy? Hopefully so; I'm looking forward to this one.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    ....did you have my Batavia addy?
    Batavia? Isn't that someplace in eastern Europe? Didn't I just read in the paper of a big toxic chemical catastrophe?

Hah, just kidding. Don't have my list with me but Batavia sounds familiar so I'm 99% sure that was one of the target zones. If not, so sorry buddy! Maybe Slosh can help you out

Happy landings to all the little CRS packages!

BTW, isn't it time that you and the Slosh pick some cute little avatar to call your one and only?

Thanks for the work Davey. Going to go straight to my mailbox with my fingers crossed.

For the official record, if anyone likes the opener it's due more to Davey than me. I sent along the disc with three (3!!!) choices on it and he emailed back asking for permission to use a completely different one! So much for any alleged taste I may have developed. Actually I really like most of the tracks on the album but some of it is kind of "out there" and I was trying to be safe. This one is operating without a net.

Looking forward to hearing it.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    BTW, isn't it time that you and the Slosh pick some cute little avatar to call your one and only?
    {sigh} I suppose it is. Any suggestions? I'm not sure where to find a cool one, and I'm not even sure how to put it in my profile (though I could prolly figure it out).

Oh, and that "chemical spill" in Batavia? Don't tell anyone, but that was just Mrs. MidFi lotioning my back.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Listening to it as I type. Started off very strong, now I'm into a little weaker section for my own tastes. We'll see. A quick scan reveals that I only have 6 of the 19 albums represented which by my figuring is a very good thing. New music is just around the bend. Just hope it's better than the Mike Keneally track NP. I guess if you like Zappa, this could work. If you don't, you're just hosed.

Hey Madina, I've got your copy too! I'll give you a call tonight.

Anyone else in need of a copy just PM me with your addy and I'll take care of the rest. Yeah, even that one guy.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hope no one gets milfed.
    What's wrong with getting MILFed?

Check out my avatar. Like it?

BTW, got my v10. Listened once. Will comment later this week. Stop.

NP: "It Kills" - S. Malkmus
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Just hope it's better than the Mike Keneally track NP. I guess if you like Zappa, this could work. If you don't, you're just hosed.
    LOL, it really IS a tough fit in this low-fi, indie mix, innit?

You shoulda heard the other song I sent to Davey . . .

I dig track 17.

For yor avatar...

{sigh} I suppose it is. Any suggestions? I'm not sure where to find a cool one, and I'm not even sure how to put it in my profile (though I could prolly figure it out).

Oh, and that "chemical spill" in Batavia? Don't tell anyone, but that was just Mrs. MidFi lotioning my back.
    ...try this: http://illustmaker.abi-station.com/index_en.shtml

fp

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    For the official record, if anyone likes the opener it's due more to Davey than me. I sent along the disc with three (3!!!) choices on it and he emailed back asking for permission to use a completely different one!
    Hey! At least I asked! That's probably my favorite song on the comp. I used a tune by nobody that he didn't even suggest and that I didn't even ask him about. I used it because I like it. Curator's discretion. But in my own defense, he did tell me I could do whatever I like with the album. Hope I didn't go too far

I think that's just about all my confessions for now. Most of the rest came out pretty much wysiwyg.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Farm noises?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

42 Regular
    Jeez...I thought he was just kidding about the farm noises!

Got mine. Listened once already, starting on spin #2 this morning. Lots of interesting stuff here. More comments to come later.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

42 Regular
    FP: I was intrigued by that avatar-creator site, but I had a hell of a time making one that looked anything at all like me. BTW, if anyone is the least bit curious what I look like in real life, you are welcome to visit my travel-related website: onelittleworld.com
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    FP: I was intrigued by that avatar-creator site, but I had a hell of a time making one that looked anything at all like me.
    Mine's a dead-ringer for me.

Man, this one is all over the place. It's hard for my brain to make the jump sometimes from track to track, but, I need to let this sink in. Sometimes the transitions become smoother after one is more familiar with the songs I definately agree that the first 3 tracks are great.. I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like the Helsinki track. The next two are kind of up my alley.. both kind of fuzzy with a big of that gool ol' post punk bass that's such the rage with the kids today. Working my way through a 2nd listen today. Will definately post a track-by-track after a few more days with this. Thanks Davey!

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information