Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Just noticed, but we sure are throwing up lot of "W" releases in this thread. Washed Out, We Are Constantines, Wild Flag, Wooden Shjips, Wilco, Wild Beasts, Steve Wilson, Wailin' Jennys, Widowspeak...did I miss any?
    Wye Oak.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Here's yet another "W" Wye Oak - Civilian. I"m really, really digging this record a lot. A Baltimore indie band on the Merge label that has a fairly straight forward indie sound but doing it very well. Indie fans should at the very least go to amazon and listen to the clips. I seriously doubt you'd be disappointed.

And Davey, I listen to M83 when I'm driving, when I'm working out, when I'm eating dinner, and I even put it on before I turn in for the night: ) I pretty much play it all the time.
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    Wye Oak.
    You beat me by a couple of minutes : )

That album is a lot of fun and to be honest, I kind of figured you might like it. It reminds me a bit of the band Now It's Overhead.
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
    You beat me by a couple of minutes : )

That album is a lot of fun and to be honest, I kind of figured you might like it. It reminds me a bit of the band Now It's Overhead.
    jc
    It's actually still on my "to get" list. But I have the title track, and it's good enough to make the first draft of my YEC.

I did see them play a short set in August that started off poorly because of equipment issues. The poor gal was really rattled, but she battled back, settled down and closed the set solidly.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Just downloaded the new one from Hypatia Lake called Ouroboros yesterday at their bandcamp site (name your price and format; I picked flac, of course - Ouroboros | Hypatia Lake) and it's some good old heavy psych stoner rock. They used to be tagged as My Bloody Sabbath for mixing shoegaze and heavy stoner sounds, and they did it pretty well. I like the previous one from a few years ago called Angels and Demons, Space and Time. They dropped some of the shoegazer layering on this one, and really embraced their new power trio format. Sounds like more of a mix of Sabbath and Jethro Tull on this one. But then toward the end, on one of my favorites, "Only the Queen (can speak to the nine-eyed rose of infinity)", they totally link the two sounds in one of the heaviest shoegazer walls of noise ever (just uploaded to song of the day). Which then sequences perfectly into "Prophecy II", and then "The End is the Beginning of the End (Ouroboros)", which brings in some of the underlying Pink Floyd and Hendrix influences to close it out in a pretty dramatic fashion. Another pretty fun record for the 11th hour - and speaking of record, they do have it out on orange swirl 180gm vinyl at their site (with glow in the dark silkscreened cover and all the psychedelic trimmings ).

Introducing… Hypatia Lake « The Soda Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    It's actually still on my "to get" list. But I have the title track, and it's good enough to make the first draft of my YEC.

I did see them play a short set in August that started off poorly because of equipment issues. The poor gal was really rattled, but she battled back, settled down and closed the set solidly.
    There are several on there that I'd be quite happy having on my YEC so I bequeath Civilian to you.

3LB
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'm really digging that new Elbow, Build A Rocket Boys. It's not nearly as strong as Seldom Seen Kid IMO, but has some real growers on it.
    I heard some stuff off of it but my first impression was that's its ponderous. The one track I hear on the Sirrus isn't helping their cause.

Surprisingly, I really like Iron and Wine's, Kiss Each Other Clean.
    I have it and like it, though I liked The Shepard's Dog better

I'm really looking forward to the new Arena release, Seventh Degree of Separation, but I can't recommend it since I haven't heard it yet...The new Dream Theater, A Dramatic Turn of Events is very good although a little samey. But worth owning if you're a fan (I can't remember whether you're a fan).
    I've been done with DT since Octavarium, and Arena since Pepper's Ghost

Mars Hollow's, World In Front of Me is a decent listen. Although not the be-all and end-all that a certain Alaskan Stalker-chick would lead you to believe.
    There's a reason she's single I'm sure. She do get OCD about the things she likes. I liked Marshollow's first one, though it didn't make any year end list.

World In Front Of Me sounds like leftovers from that first session. Not bad, just nothing to gush over. The person to which you refer isn't alone when it comes to sycophantic behavior. I even started avoiding Marshollow threads because of the nauseating leg-riders there. I like Kerry; he's a genuine music fan. He's not like other people who pop in just to shill something (like the GlassHammer and Izz dudes). He's a daily participant, like Phideaux, like Chalkpie (Frogg Cafe) and Battema (Ephemeral Sun) and a few other struggling musicians over there at PE who've actually put out some great stuff (although Phideaux's new one is kind of a retread). I heard parts of the first album a few years ago when Kerry wasn't all too sure of it and me and a few others encouraged him to go forward. But man, some of those PE'ers just piss their pants for prog.
    Repost this on your wall if you love Jesus.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    I heard some stuff off of it but my first impression was that's its ponderous. The one track I hear on the Sirrus isn't helping their cause.
    I have it and like it, though I liked The Shepard's Dog better
    I've been done with DT since Octavarium, and Arena since Pepper's Ghost
    Yeah, well fuck you then! Don't ask for my help next time.

(I keed)

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    There's a reason she's single I'm sure.
    You don't know the half of it. I actually had to unfriend her on Facebook because she was so unstable I didn't want anything to do with her.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    Chalkpie (Frogg Cafe)
    I didn't know that Chalkpie was in Frogg Cafe. Interesting.

Forum Regular

You still have good taste

Hey FA, here's my personal recommendation for you. I seem to remember you like Ray Lamontagne check out James Vincent McMorrow and his album Early in the Morning , an Irish singer songwriter with the kind of world weary washed out voice I like

James Vincent McMorrow - If I had a Boat - YouTube

Cheers
    Mike

3LB

Exclamation

Yeah, well fuck you then! Don't ask for my help next time.
    yeah, what an ingrate I am! Now that I reread my post...

You don't know the half of it. I actually had to unfriend her on Facebook because she was so unstable I didn't want anything to do with her.
    Oh lord, Facebook... I have an account that use to stay in touch with family, but what a Pandora's Box that is. I got some cringe inducing relatives I'd love to unfriend if I dared. I'm sure she's entertaining to read (from a distance). I love when people are trainwrecks on FB, as long as I'm not in their photo album. :-D

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hey FA, here's my personal recommendation for you. I seem to remember you like Ray Lamontagne check out James Vincent McMorrow and his album Early in the Morning , an Irish singer songwriter with the kind of world weary washed out voice I like

James Vincent McMorrow - If I had a Boat - YouTube

Cheers
    Mike
    Hey Mike! Great to hear from you. I miss you around these parts. I can always count on you for great recommendations. You are personally responsible for a big chunk of my CD collection.

You were right again. This is a nice tune. And as a fan of both animation and Hemingway I loved the video that it was set to. I'll definately check out some more tunes by this guy. Thanks!

It would be nice to see you around here more often. I hope that everything's well for you.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

I'm really looking forward to the new Arena release, Seventh Degree of Separation, but I can't recommend it since I haven't heard it yet.
    Wow, that's good news. Really liked their last few releases.

3LB
    Hey Barry, I got a hold of that new Karmakanic - great rec!

After hearing a track or two of this, and after reading reviews both complimentary and not-so, I couldn't help myself, I had to try it. I've found past Karmakanic albums to be too TFK-ish. That shouldn't be a bad thing, except that I find that where TFK related side projects are concerned, that the apple never falls far from the tree and they're rarely equal to TFK's best efforts. Kinda like TFK leftovers. But I was so intrigued by the two tracks I heard, coupled by your rec, I picked up only my second Karmakanic album (the first one was Wheel Of Life).

It seems they decided to break their upper-atmosphere orbit of planet TFK, and venture out to a greater orbit. This album smacks of, 'if it sounds good, play it'. Think of it as Sweden's answer to It Bites or Kino. Other than the opening track, this album eschews overt TFKisms and progma in general for good old fashioned hooks and songcraft. This is overtly catchy music, with less emphasis on time signature and tempo changes. Not suggesting its unfamiliar or not proggy, cuz it is, just saying that this effort isn't slave any aesthetic or any one influence. No meandering, not maudlin and maybe the most memorable choruses you'll hear this year, outside of contemporary music.

Thanks again. Winner.

The year end magazine lists have started ... below is Uncut followed by the Paste blog .. as usual some odd choices near the top of each, and a ton of stuff I've never heard of, and some major omissions from my view (seems that the group of Paste critics completely ignored PJ Harvey), but I'm much more in tune with Uncut. Love that Josh T. Pearson pick. Still, my top ten wouldn't have much overlap with either list. Kind of odd to see Bon Iver at the top of the Paste list, I think he's even up for a Grammy. A sleepy record to be sure, seems to get a lot of both love and hate, which surprises me. Think I like his first one a lot more, but honestly haven't played the latest enough to really know it.

50. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Unknown Mortal Orchestra
    49. Arbouretum – The Gathering
    48. Cornershop Featuring Bubbley Kaur – Cornershop And The Double-O Groove Of
    47. The Caretaker – An Empty Bliss Beyond This World
    46. Iceage – New Brigade
    45. Mikal Cronin – Mikal Cronin
    44. tUnE-yArDs – w h o k i l l
    43. St. Vincent – Strange Mercy
    42. Jenny Hval – Viscera
    41. Raphael Saadiq – Stone Rollin’
    40. Kate Bush – 50 Words For Snow
    39. Dawes – Nothing Is Wrong
    38. His Golden Messenger – From Country Hai East Cotton
    37. Little Dragon – Ritual Union
    36. Jonny – Jonny
    35. My Morning Jacket – Circuital
    34. Fatoumata Diawara – Fatou
    33. Low – C’Mon
    32. Gil Scott Heron & Jamie XX – We’re New Here
    31. Destroyer – Kaputt
    30. Tim Hecker – Ravedeath, 1972
    29. Paul Simon – So Beautiful Or So What
    28. King Creosote & Jon Hopkins – Diamond Mine
    27. Björk – Biophilia
    26. The Decemberists – The King Is Dead
    25. Bill Callahan – Apocalypse
    24. Real Estate – Days
    23. Thurston Moore – Demolished Thoughts
    22. Gang Gang Dance – Eye Contact
    21. James Blake – James Blake
    20. Ry Cooder – Pull Up Some Dust And Sit Down
    19. Drive-By Truckers – Go-Go Boots
    18. Tinariwen – Tassili
    17. Feist – Metals
    16. Jonathan Wilson – Gentle Spirit
    15. Wilco – The Whole Love
    14. Kurt Vile – Smoke Ring For My Halo
    13. Tom Waits – Bad As Me
    12. Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
    11. Laura Marling – A Creature I Don’t Know
    10. The War On Drugs – Slave Ambient
    09. Bon Iver – Bon Iver
    08. Wild Beasts – Smother
    07. Radiohead – The King Of Limbs
    06. The Horrors – Skying
    05. Josh T. Pearson – Last Of The Country Gentlemen
    04. White Denim – D
    03. Metronomy – The English Riviera
    02. Gillian Welch – The Harrow & The Harvest
    01. PJ Harvey – Let England Shake

50. Frank Turner – England Keep My Bones
    49. Mates of State – Mountaintops
    48. Drake – Take Care
    47. Real Estate – Days
    46. Holy Ghost! – Holy Ghost!
    45. Those Darlins – Screws Get Loose
    44. Kurt Vile – Smoke Ring For My Halo
    43. The Joy Formidable – The Big Roar
    42. Wild Flag – Wild Flag
    41. James Blake – James Blake
    40. Portugal. The Man – In The Mountain, In The Cloud
    39. Gillian Welch – The Harrow and the Harvest
    38. Over the Rhine – The Long Surrender
    37. The War on Drugs – Slave Ambient
    36. Mister Heavenly – Out Of Love
    35. Childish Gambino – Camp
    34. Seryn – This Is Where We Are
    33. The Head and the Heart – The Head and the Heart
    32. Ryan Adams – Ashes & Fire
    31. Telekinesis – 12 Desperate Straight Lines
    30. Tom Waits – Bad As Me
    29. Feist – Metals
    28. Lykke Li – Wounded Rhymes
    27. Black Lips – Arabia Mountain
    26. The Low Anthem – Smart Flesh
    25. The Antlers – Burst Apart
    24. TV on the Radio – Nine Types of Light
    23. The Belle Brigade – The Belle Brigade
    22. The Black Keys – El Camino
    21. Charles Bradley – No Time For Dreaming
    20. Beirut – The Rip Tide
    19. Cults – Cults
    18. Wye Oak – Civilian
    17. The Civil Wars – Barton Hollow
    16. Yuck – Yuck
    15. Deer Tick – Divine Providence
    14. Adele – 21
    13. Radiohead – The King of Limbs
    13 (tie). Girls – Father, Son, Holy Ghost
    12. Iron & Wine – Kiss Each Other Clean
    11. St. Vincent – Strange Mercy
    10. The Decemberists – The King Is Dead
    09. M83 – Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming
    08. Dawes – Nothing Is Wrong
    07. Wilco – The Whole Love
    06. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – It’s A Corporate World
    05. Middle Brother – Middle Brother
    04. tUnE-yArDs – w h o k i l l
    03. My Morning Jacket – Circuital
    02. Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
    01. Bon Iver – Bon Iver

It's always nice to see a little validation that you're not the only one that thinks really highly of a record. Between the two lists, 4 of my current top ten are represented.

Or maybe I'm just becoming too predictable and mainstream for my own good. Thanks for posting the lists!

jc

3LB
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
    I have the last Mystery CD but not the new one, with Benoit David on vocals. I like that a lot. Haven't heard the new one yet. The new Yes is good by recent Yes standards, but not very inventive given the potential talent in that group. Someone ought to slap them. Can't they just do one more grand masterpiece before they wrap it up?
    Given that Downes and Horn was the source for most of the material, I'd say no, there are no unwritten masterpieces whereas Yes is concerned. I like Fly From Here. It does have a certain 1980 flair to it (this and another song are leftovers from Drama). I love the production. The songs are good, just not great. It was a short album by modern standards. I find that funny considering that Howe, Squier and White were supposedly chomping at the bit to record an album for several years and it was Anderson keeping them from doing so, allegedly... then it was Anderson wanting them to go on hiatus from touring while he recovered from a severe asthma attack. He got sick and they replaced him. Sounds sad, but its nice to hear a decent quality effort under the Yes brand (by way of Horn/Downes), w/o Anderson's cod-religious new age pap. I could do without Squier's Alan Parsonesque adult contemporary ballad, and Howe's Hour Of Need is way better in its Japanese release, though it too is somewhat a patch work. I like it better than the last three or four Yes releases, which isn't exactly a high bar. You'll love it when you're 60.

Junky Star, A Mother's Prayer, Sky Full of Holes

Ryan Bingham and The Dead Horses - Junky Star

Ralph Stanley - A Mother's Prayer

Fountains of Wayne - Sky Full of Holes
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Rae
    audiobill hi

a ton of stuff I've never heard of
    I'm kind of surprised at how much of this stuff I have heard of... I don't feel like I'm that in touch with the state of "indie rock", but I have at least a passing familiarity with 80% of the artists listed.

50. Frank Turner – England Keep My Bones
    35. Childish Gambino – Camp
    Uhh

~Rae

slightly, all the time jonnyhambone's Avatar
    felt this way about the Grammy nominations a bit...Bon Iver, Civil Wars, couple good Kanye nods, Radiohead, Decemberists, Wilco...many I haven't heard of, at all, but there's a pretty good turn-out of indie-represented artists too...more than usual I thinks...

Rae
    Whoa, I just noticed that the Fountains of Wayne record cover that audiobill posted above uses a Lori Nix image. That's pretty cool.

~Rae

I'm gonna toss out one more suggestion that should have some pretty broad appeal....

J. Mascis: Several Shades of Why

First official solo release by the head of Dinosaur Jr. Really nice laid-back, mostly acoustic stuff. Somber yet hopeful. Catchy but not poppy. A bunch of guests all over this one, including Kurt Vile, Sophie Trudeau (A Silver Mount Zion), Kevin Drew (Broken Social Scene), Ben Bridwell (Band of Horses), Pall Jenkins (Black Heart Procession), Matt Valentine (The Golden Road), and Suzanne Thorpe (Wounded Knees). But none of them at all overwhelm the record and they are mostly quite unobtrusive. I keep liking this one more the more I listen to it.

Forum Regular

50 Best albums

Most people could put a top 10 or 20 albums of the year together, but 50 best albums of the year there’s bound to be a few clunkers in there. I like to think I keep in touch with new music as much as the next music freak but a fair number of those had me.

Good to see some of my faves getting some recognition like War on Drugs, Kurt Vile, Wye Oak, Civil Wars, Dawes, and Metronomy although as much as I like Metronomy I wouldn’t rate it so highly.

For me I would drop some of those clunkers and add Black Joe Lewis, Jamie Woon, Lanterns on the Lake, James Vincent McMorrow, Zola Jesus. And why no Stephen Malkmus surely a crime, he’s got just as much to say as other established names like Paul Simon, Bjork, Kate Bush or Tom Waites.

Cheers
    Mike

Yeah, Rae. It's a pretty cool image. I love Lori's work - she certainly takes photography to another level. The photo on FOW's new one is entitled "library". Her "accidentally kansas" grouping is equally fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Whoa, I just noticed that the Fountains of Wayne record cover that audiobill posted above uses a Lori Nix image. That's pretty cool.

~Rae

3LB
    How is that FoW? The last time I bought a FoW CD (Welcome Interstate Managers) was just before the goofiest song on the album became a big hit (Stacy's Mom). I heard bits and pieces of their next one (Traffic & Weather), but they just never clicked. I should like them more than I do, weird that I don't. Kinda like the bands Bare Naked Ladies, Vetiver or Guster, consistent, competent, maybe even great at what they do, but hard for me to stay engaged for an entire album (I do still have songs from WIM on MP3 rotation).

Fow

Hey 3LB - What I really enjoy about all of the FOW albums is their lyrics and playfulness. Their sound is infectious for me upon several listens.
    Their latest, is quite good. (I'm still getting into it) Some of my favourite tracks are "Action Hero", "Summer Place", and "Radio Bar". To give you a taste of some of the lyrics:

FROM "THE SUMMMER PLACE"
    She's been afraid of the Cuisinart
    Since 1977
    Now when she opens up the house
    Well, she won't set foot in the kitchen
    At fifteen
    Shoplifting
    Was the only game she liked to play
    At forty
    She's so bored she
    Thinks about it then decides to pay
    And still she can't help feeling
    Those good old days don't seem so far away

AND FROM "ACTION HERO"
    He's an action hero
    And he should be fighting crime
    Leaping between the buildings
    And racing against time
    He's an action hero
    He's an action hero
    In his mind

He drops by Mount Sinai
    Where they're running through some tests
    And they've taped things to his chest
    And they're all doing their best
    To make him feel at ease

The doctor says it's really just
    An educated guess
    I suggest you get some rest
    Try to cut back on the stress
    Cause I don't like what I see

But the action hero
    Swears he feels just fine
    He's got to finish saving
    The world for all mankind
    He's an action hero
    He's an action hero
    And he's racing against time

Of course, the music is quite fine, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LB View Post
    How is that FoW?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information