Porcupine Tree - In Absentia // revisited

Porcupine Tree is one of those bands that really require revisiting. Almost every time I put on one their CeeDees, I discover a new favorite song. Lately, its been Sever from Signify and Trains and Prodigal from In Absentia. I can't really listen to Collapse the Light Into Earth these days but its still one of the most haunting songs in PT's canon to date.

I cannot wait until the new PT album comes out.

I have Blackfield, which is OK, but it seems like an unrealized, hastened PT project, more than it does a stand alone entity. It has grown on me though, over the last month or so.

The way my life is going, I probably should find something more upbeat for which to listen.

it's about the music
    i JUST started listening to PT, as someone pointed me to them following a question about Dream theatre.
    you want something more upbeat? I shall then point you towards Dream Theatre, following your question about Porcupine Tree. I find Scenes from a Memory a pretty hard to beat album. (should be put up there right close to DSOTM, wish you were here, the wall, Sgt Peppers, Close to the Edge...)
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Kaboom, keep spinning that In Absentia CD - The Sound of Muzak and Trains are killer tunes. Try Signify too if you don't have that album already.
    Can't really compare DT to PT...different approaches to prog. Scenes From a Memory was a great album too...I'm sure you'll dig the PT stuff, not as complicated musically (or as noodley) as DT, but every bit as good.

I played In Absentia last week, first time in a while. It is STILL a really solid album, isn't it?

Forum Regular

Pt

This information I copied straight from the PT webpage:

The new Porcupine Tree album Deadwing is released on 28th March by Warner Music in Europe, and on 19th April by Lava in the US. Recorded between March-October, the album has been mixed in both stereo and 5.1 versions. Once again the 5.1 mix was done in collaboration with Grammy award winning producer Elliot Scheiner.

There are guest appearances by Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth, and Adrian Belew of King Crimson.

The track listing of the album is:

1. Deadwing (9.46)
    2. Shallow (4.17)
    3. Lazarus (4.18)
    4. Halo (4.38)
    5. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here (12.02)
    6. Mellotron Scratch (6.57)
    7. Open Car (3.46)
    8. The Start of Something Beautiful (7.39)
    9. Glass Arm Shattering (6.12)

Despite being included on promotional copies, there may or may not be a hidden track on the final retail copies.

deadwing.com is a microsite dedicated to the album, with audio, video and other media relating to the album and the film screenplay on which it is based.

The European tour starts at the end of March, and a US tour will commence in mid May. Please keep an eye on the Porcupine Tree website for regular updates and additions to the band's concert schedule for 2005. Confirmed dates so far:

03/31/2005 UK, Nottingham Rescue Rooms (special warm up show)
    04/01/2005 UK, Wolverhampton Wulfrun
    04/02/2005 UK, London Astoria
    04/03/2005 UK, Bristol Bierkeller
    04/05/2005 UK, Cambridge Junction
    04/06/2005 UK, Manchester MDH
    04/08/2005 UK, Glasgow Garage
    04/10/2005 HOLLAND, Amsterdam, Paradiso
    04/11/2005 HOLLAND, Tilburg 013
    04/12/2005 GERMANY, Cologne Burgerhaus Stollwerck
    04/13/2005 GERMANY, Berlin Columbia Club
    04/14/2005 POLAND, Bydgoszcz Philharmonic Hall
    04/15/2005 POLAND, Krakow Wisla Hall
    04/17/2005 GERMANY, Hamburg Markthalle
    04/18/2005 GERMANY, Bochum Matrix
    04/19/2005 GERMANY, Frankfurt Batschkapp
    04/20/2005 GERMANY, Karlsruhe Substage
    04/21/2005 GERMANY, Munich Elser Zusatzhalle
    04/22/2005 SWITZERLAND, Pratteln Z7
    04/24/2005 ITALY, Milan Transilvania
    04/25/2005 ITALY, Rome Qube
    04/27/2005 SPAIN, Barcelona Bikini
    04/28/2005 SPAIN, Madrid Aqualung
    04/30/2005 FRANCE, Paris Elysee Montmartre

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    i JUST started listening to PT, as someone pointed me to them following a question about Dream theatre.
    you want something more upbeat? I shall then point you towards Dream Theatre, following your question about Porcupine Tree. I find Scenes from a Memory a pretty hard to beat album. (should be put up there right close to DSOTM, wish you were here, the wall, Sgt Peppers, Close to the Edge...)
    I'm glad that you found Scenes from a Memory so enjoyable. After your DT post, I decided to pull out some DT disks and take them for a spin. Scenes went for two spins.

So...which PT are you listening to and what are your thoughts?

it's about the music
    me? the ones i downloaded are lightbulb sun, in absentia and stupid dream. both in absentia and stupid dream are coming home with me next time i visit a music store, provided i can find stupid dream ANYWHERE, since i heard its nowhere to be seen anymore (they just closed my fav cd shop here in madrid ARRRGH THE PAIN!!!)
    I find that Stupid Dream is an AWESOME album but that it has its "moments", or rather it has songs that someone stick out, such as Piano Lessons or Pure Narcotic. The only thing that doesnt convince me about this album is the ending... I think thick as a brick's ending is AMAZING. oh well.
    On the other hand, i feel absentia as much more of a cohesive album. on the other hand, i think the music is a bit less subtle than in stupid dream.i like the guitar work in trains. I also like how the hardness of the music goes up and down through the album, but without any sharp changes.
    Lightbulb sun... well its a good album, but i'm going to have to listen to it much more thoroughly before i can express an educated opinion about it... Too much music to listen to and too little time!!
    since i started browsing these forums i've been finding the most amazing music. thank you people!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

PT is RR's mascot, so to speak

Nost of us here at RR are very fond of the band despite their incredulous lack of popularity in the USA. Just give some of their older titles a try as well. I'm sure a few of us here at RR have made comps of PT, and might be willing to burn you a copy.

Thread Information