Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip_B
    One man's classic is another man's crap, I s'pose.
    Well, there are a few shades of grey between classic and piece of crap, but guess I did sound kind of dismissive. Sorry. I just don't remember much about the album and so it surprised me to see you thought it that good, but obviously I need to listen to it more. Wouldn't be the first time I missed something obvious and it's always fun to see some Pretty Things love around here, regardless of the context
    Last edited by Davey; 04-02-2004 at 10:06 PM.

I kept meaning to post to this thread. Lots of good picks from everybody. I had a reply partially typed the day this thread started and I got to doing something else and forgot all about it and never got around to it again. Anyway, short and sweet. My pick for overlooked classic is something by one of my favorite bands ever, Thin White Rope. Which album though is a toughie. I really like their live album, The One That Got Away. And Moonhead and In the Spanish Cave are both excellent. But I'd probably go with Sack Full of Silver. Ah, screw it! They're all overlooked classics. Take your pick.

John

Re: Pretty Things

It is amazing that this band never got the radio air play in the late 60's mid 70's untill 1974's issue of Silk Torpedo. I was introduced to this band in 1972 and have always liked them from their early R&B roots aka real bad boys (worse than the Rolling Uglies) to the psyadellic daze of 1967. flower power in the air.... I have all the German Reissues on Snapper and the bonus tracks are hard to beat . fills the gaps in from the time between record albums. Actually I have Parachute on vinyl on the Rare Earth label..
    I have friends who swear by silk torpedo & I will play them some of the earlier material and they will say: That's the Pretty Things!! Wow!.. One last note the story behind S.F.Sorrow is quite amazing . While an EMI band the group recorded this jem at the same time Sgt.Peckers (Beatles) & Piper at the Gates (Floyd) in the same Abbey Road studios during the off times it wasn't be used. In the liner notes it is noted that of the 3 releases EMI did this was the ONLY ONE NOT MIXED IN STEREO!! I guess rank has its priviages.the other 2 did have stereo mixes released.These guys made more of an impact in England and Europe more that here in N. America. But still a favorite to this day

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information