Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    205

    Over and Over and Over the Rhine - Ohio Raves

    Right now I can't get enough of Ohio by Over The Rhine. Beautiful 2-CD set released last year. One of the best of 2003. Karin Bergquist has such a beautiful voice and you won't find music and lyrics much more compelling than this. Think maybe something along the lines of Fleetwood Mac meets Gram Parsons (or maybe Whiskeytown covering Gram Parsons). Kind of like a modern day Tusk, as Matt Cibula intimated in the Pop Matters review linked below. Nicely recorded by Paul Mahern at Echo Park in Bloomington, Indiana. Even available in a gatefold vinyl set too. Way recommended. Some nice reviews at ...

    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Aief8zfa3eh7k
    Ultimately, OTR's Ohio is a work of tattered grace, a deeply moving, maddening, and redemptive work of art, and necessary, ambitious pop. Thom Jurek

    http://www.popmatters.com/music/revi...ine-ohio.shtml
    God damn it, this is a great achievement by a band that has just slammed the door on "cult status" forever. Matt Cibula

    http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review.php?ID=1392
    While listening to Ohio words and feelings pulsed in my fingertips. I wrote what came. A story of rejuvenation, of spirituality, of falling face-first with your arms tied behind your back and finding your way home. A glimpse of a man, his mother, and God. A glimpse of Ohio. Gentry Boeckel

    http://www.pastemusic.com/product/606
    Over the Rhine has released a slew of phenomenal albums over the past decade, but their newest (a specially priced double-CD) exhibits new depths of writing, musicianship, and soul. OHIO is a sprawling, heartbreaking album that will stay with you long after the disc quits spinning.

    http://www.pastemusic.com/product/671
    Now available in special limited-edition vinyl. This "decadent" gate-fold jacket features additional photographs by Michael Wilson, printed lyrics for all 21 songs, additional song by song credits as well as all liner notes included in the 2-CD set.

    Lots of customer raves at amazon too.


  2. #2
    Dubgazer -Jar-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    942
    That's funny, I've seen OTR several times, over 10 years ago.. We had them play at our radio station even.. the problem was, there were literally dozens of bands in the Ohio/Indiana/Michigan area that sounded just like them back then in the late 80's / early 90's so they never really made an impression on me. I had no idea they were still going at it.. interesting.

    -jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..


    The Replacements

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Jefferson City MO
    Posts
    90
    Ooooo, that sounds interesting.

    I dabble in the alt-country genre a bit. I can listen to Whiskeytown, Son Volt, Jayhawks, ect, I think its a consequence of listening to Dylan too much or whatever. Trace by Son Volt is an impressive album, as is Strangers Almanac by Whiskeytown. For a completely different twist on things Slobber Bones, Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today is worth while.

  4. #4
    Dubgazer -Jar-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    942
    Have you heard ANODYNE by Uncle Tupelo? It's pretty much the peak of what they were about, and you can hear the roots of both Wilco and Son Volt in there. Those guys have certainly created a universe of music over the past 12 years or so..

    -jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..


    The Replacements

  5. #5
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    For a completely different twist on things Slobber Bones, Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong Today is worth while.
    I picked that up 2 days ago!

    Only listened once and was pleased that it rocks much harder than the more traditional alt. country stuff. It's going to be a keeper unlike the other two I grabbed-Uncle Tupelo March 16-20, 1992 and Uncle Dirty Toes. Uncle Dirty Toes, what kind of name is that anyway? What's it like? From the band's website: "Do you enjoy the music of Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, Steeleye Span or Richard Thompson? We do! Influenced by these artists, yet sounding entirely like ourselves, we are Uncle Dirty Toes"

    One for three window shopping based on names isn't that bad actually.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  6. #6
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Jefferson City MO
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    Have you heard ANODYNE by Uncle Tupelo? It's pretty much the peak of what they were about, and you can hear the roots of both Wilco and Son Volt in there. Those guys have certainly created a universe of music over the past 12 years or so..

    -jar
    Like Jim below the only thing by Uncle Tupelo I have is March 16-20, 1992 . To be honest I didn't really care for it, a little to Woody Guthrie for my taste. Personally of the 3 entities I prefer Son Volt over U.T. or Wilco. As a disclaimer I must admit I only have Being There and A.M. from Wilco.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Jefferson City MO
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I picked that up 2 days ago!

    Only listened once and was pleased that it rocks much harder than the more traditional alt. country stuff. It's going to be a keeper unlike the other two I grabbed-Uncle Tupelo March 16-20, 1992 and Uncle Dirty Toes. Uncle Dirty Toes, what kind of name is that anyway? What's it like? From the band's website: "Do you enjoy the music of Fairport Convention, Jethro Tull, Steeleye Span or Richard Thompson? We do! Influenced by these artists, yet sounding entirely like ourselves, we are Uncle Dirty Toes"

    One for three window shopping based on names isn't that bad actually.

    jc

    Gimmie back my dog = Instant classic!

  8. #8
    Toon Robber tentoze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Florida Piney Woods
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    ...Personally of the 3 entities I prefer Son Volt over U.T. or Wilco. ...
    In that case, I'd strongly suggest giving a listen to Jay Farrar's latest, Terroir Blues.

    It's
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Jefferson City MO
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    In that case, I'd strongly suggest giving a listen to Jay Farrar's latest, Terroir Blues.

    It's

    Huh, the only thing from Farrar's post Son Volt career I have is Sebastopol which I'm not real crazy about.

    Are you thinking Terroir Blues is superior tentoze?

  10. #10
    Toon Robber tentoze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Florida Piney Woods
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    Huh, the only thing from Farrar's post Son Volt career I have is Sebastopol which I'm not real crazy about.

    Are you thinking Terroir Blues is superior tentoze?
    Yup. Terroir Blues is a more fully realized album, IMO. But I like Seabastopol as well, so proceed with caution....
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

  11. #11
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    A sometimes wet and damp York, England
    Posts
    528

    Smile I'm a Slobberbone fan

    I can't understand why Slobberbone didn't get more attention at the time, the whole albums good, some great rocking tracks mixed with slow ones. I see they have a later release anybody heard it?

    Once I dreamed we'd took a roadtrip, just me and her
    Through the southern and midwest states
    Turned north just south of Arkansas and we headed up
    Towards the vast Great Lakes
    And I thought I'd sleep through Texas, but I woke up in Illinois
    And the car in the lane next to me was driven by a little boy
    And he flashed a smile at me then he drove straight off the road
    Smacked an overpass, I watched his car explode
    And when she wakes me from my delirium
    I know I'm no longer fun
    For her

    Mike

  12. #12
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    That's funny, I've seen OTR several times, over 10 years ago.. We had them play at our radio station even.. the problem was, there were literally dozens of bands in the Ohio/Indiana/Michigan area that sounded just like them back then in the late 80's / early 90's so they never really made an impression on me. I had no idea they were still going at it.. interesting.

    -jar
    Hehehe, yeah I could understand that. The first I heard of them was a mention on the old board a long time ago by KevB, comparing them to the Cowboy Junkies, which is a pretty apt description, although I do enjoy this much more than recent CJ. The first I actually heard a song from them though was on a very cool sampler CD from the premiere issue of Paste Magazine a couple years ago. The CD closed with a lovely unreleased, full-band version of "It's Never Quite What It Seems", which apparently was on their last album with Karin accompanied only by an acoustic guitar. In fact, I used that as the title track for a comp that featured a few songs from that sampler. But I didn't buy anything until a couple months ago when I picked up this one at Best Buy after reading some raves. Took a little while to sink in, but it's in me now. She sounds a little like KD Lang too.

    Paste Magazine Sampler (kinda big scan - about 400K)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •