Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Hey, finally! Someone who's heard Shrink besides myself! Yes, all three of their most recent albums, Neon Golden, Shrink and 12 are great albums, on another board I listed all three as "masterpieces". And they're great live, too, completely different from what you'd expect if you've only heard Neon Golden. (They somehow turn into a guitar band live -- don't ask me how.)
    i've seen them (i've seen just about everyone!)

And you listen to Mice Parade, too! Dude! :thumbs-up:
    of course! i think adam pierce is a genius. he played on a recent Mum track, didn't he?

Well, you're welcome. To your opinion, that is. Even though it's wrong.

No, seriously, different strokes for different folks. You like to listen to stuff that's "different", I'm guessing...? See, I listen to everything, and I like what I like, including more song-oriented stuff (L, I even listen to Pop). I think the Gathering are simply fabulous, especially once Anneke joined, and everything they do is magical. Try giving them one more chance and find a copy of the Black Light District EP. But that's the only thing I'm guessing you will like by them. The rest will probably be too song-oriented for you.
    i listen to a lot of different things. lots of post-rock, lots of ambient stuff lately... but i still LOVE straight up rock bands like the wrens and others.

i've given the gathering their chance and i feel confident in my hatred towards them . even made a point of seeing them live. left after 3 songs...

it just ain't happening

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
    you like this?

Wow.
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by Toady
    i listen to a lot of different things. lots of post-rock, lots of ambient stuff lately... but i still LOVE straight up rock bands like the wrens and others.
    Have you heard Katatonia? Man, I dig their last few albums, but I haven't gotten the new one yet... though it's not really new anymore. I just love their deep heavy almost-shoegazer riffing and the depressed Cureish vocals.

Ever heard Acid Bath? They're one of my favorite metal bands of the 90's.. Dax Riggs has got to be one of the most amazing death metal singers.. though he use his entire range..

You should name some of your favorite concerts..

a few of the hundreds that I've seen jump out at me:

Ride/Slowdive
    Teenage Fanclub/Uncle Tupelo
    Skinny Puppy (Too Dark Park & Last Rites tours)
    Butthole Surfers/Ed Hall
    Jesus Lizard (like 9 times or something)
    Helmet/Rollins Band
    Monster Magnet/COC/Season to Risk
    Sonic Youth/Sun Ra (Central Park NYC)
    Primus/Fishbone
    Primus/Melvins
    Rodan/Craw
    Entombed/Unsane

ok I'll stop..

-jar

The Replacements

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    you like this?

Wow.
    Is that a good wow, like "Wow, I can't believe that you have such fantastic taste in music"?

Or a bad wow, like "Wow, how could anyone like this crap"?

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Thumbs up

Is that a good wow, like "Wow, I can't believe that you have such fantastic taste in music"?

Shut Up And Play...This Comp

I recommended it to you, so of course it rules! ; P
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

hehe.. well its just one of my favorite albums.. I just didn't know you were "down" with them. Now i want to send you a stoner rock comp. Though when it comes down to it, most of those bands are just imitators of Kyuss. Though I must ask if you've heard SPINE OF GOD by Monster Magnet.. I think you'd dig 'em.

-jar

The Replacements

If you haven't heard it, I recommend this.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    Have you heard Katatonia? Man, I dig their last few albums, but I haven't gotten the new one yet... though it's not really new anymore. I just love their deep heavy almost-shoegazer riffing and the depressed Cureish vocals.

Ever heard Acid Bath? They're one of my favorite metal bands of the 90's.. Dax Riggs has got to be one of the most amazing death metal singers.. though he use his entire range..

You should name some of your favorite concerts..
    never heard katatonia. i'll check them out tonight if i get a chance.

acid bath rings a bell but i can't think of what they sound like, so i'll have to try that out too.

Converge is the only really heavy thing i'm into right now. well, that's not entirely true... i'm a huge fan of Isis as well. (boston area hardcore, represent! )

i started a new thread about favorite shows.

todd

never heard katatonia. i'll check them out tonight if i get a chance.

acid bath rings a bell but i can't think of what they sound like, so i'll have to try that out too.

Converge is the only really heavy thing i'm into right now. well, that's not entirely true... i'm a huge fan of Isis as well. (boston area hardcore, represent! )

i started a new thread about favorite shows.

todd
    I assume you've followed Cave-In as well? To be honest, I've not heard much of their early stuff, UNTIL YOUR HEART STOPS has been on my wishlist like, forever. I know that track "Juggernaut" and it is killer. I adore JUPITER, but to be honest, ANTENNA just has kind of fallen flat with me. It started with the TIDES OF TOMORROW ep.. there's a couple songs on there I really like, but overall It let me down. I guess I was just high from JUPITER and the "Lost In the Air" ep. Both the songs on that EP are awesome, and I really had high hopes, but save for "Inspire," "Calypso" and "Deep Rising" - I really haven't heard that much that's totally blown me away like "Innuendo" and "Big Riff" did off JUPITER.

-jar

The Replacements

D'oh!

Oops, maybe you're not going to like much on my comp but too late, I already burned copies so you're stuck with it now

Hmmm.....well, on one hand you're a fan of Mike Patton so maybe...

....but then again I'd rather be pelted with pineapples (whole, or cans of even ) than listen to Dream Theater

Ah yeah. Well listening to music beats the bloody hell out of talking about it so we'll see.

NP: Super Furry Animals - Radiator
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    hehe.. well its just one of my favorite albums.. I just didn't know you were "down" with them. Now i want to send you a stoner rock comp. Though when it comes down to it, most of those bands are just imitators of Kyuss. Though I must ask if you've heard SPINE OF GOD by Monster Magnet.. I think you'd dig 'em.

-jar
    Well bring it on my friend. The stoner comp that is.

As Mad R pointed out, he turned me on to Kyuss earlier this year. And I can't thank him enough (thanks!). I grew up listening to a lot of stuff like Sabbath, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest. Along with the proggier stuff like Yes, Kansas and Floyd. I took a break from the metal scene in the late 80's and 90's so I never really got into bands like Metallica and the like. My tastes have mellowed more to the proggy side as I've grown older, I guess that's why most folks around here think of me as a progger. But I still love a good head banging album as much as the next guy/gal. Bands like Kyuss, QOTSA, and Mars Volta have renewed my taste for metal. As long as the vocals are clean. I love a good distorted guitar, but I can't stomach the growls of death vocals.

I haven't heard of Monster Magnet, but after looking them up on AMG, I'm very interested. Let me know if you need my addy.

and....thanks for the offer!

P.S. While we're on the topic....what do you guys know about Masters of Reality? If I wanted to test the waters, what's a good disk to start with?

P.S. While we're on the topic....what do you guys know about Masters of Reality? If I wanted to test the waters, what's a good disk to start with?
    I love that Sunrise On the Sufferbus disc. It's the one with Ginger Baker on drums and production. Not really too representative of the rest of their catalog since it's more hard rock than metal or stoner, but very cool and probably a bit more radio-friendly than some of the rest. Easily available for ultra-cheap on the used market, at least I used to see it a lot. Some pretty catchy and inventive songs.

Forum Regular
    I assume you've followed Cave-In as well?
    not too closely. they're hard to avoid hearing around here though. i've liked most everything i've ever heard from them (i didn't like their latest at all). but i don't even own a record of theirs.

Fear my spookiness!

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Oops, maybe you're not going to like much on my comp but too late, I already burned copies so you're stuck with it now

Hmmm.....well, on one hand you're a fan of Mike Patton so maybe...

....but then again I'd rather be pelted with pineapples (whole, or cans of even ) than listen to Dream Theater

Ah yeah. Well listening to music beats the bloody hell out of talking about it so we'll see.

NP: Super Furry Animals - Radiator
    Don't worry Slosh I'll probably like alot of it. I'm not too hard to please. As long there is some though behind it, I can listen to it.
    Fear my spookiness!

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Izlsnizzt
    Have you ever heard of Frantic Bleep?
    Nope, can't say that I have. If they're like Dillinger Escape Plan, Botch, Converge or other "math-core" bands plus a Mike Patton influence (as suggested by your earlier description), I'll have to give them a look. I also need to look into Cave-In's Until Your Heart Stops for a glimpse of their earlier sound--Antenna doesn't do this band any justice really.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    Antenna doesn't do this band any justice really.
    true that.

i just think converge is the greatest. even though they get labeled "mathy", nothing they do ever seems unnatural or forced to me. dillinger, on the other hand, always gives me that feeling. they're spectacularly talented and all, but i just can't get past the idea that a lot of what they do is for show.

i love that picture. he may be my favorite drummer.

and this might be my favorite album cover. i can't explain why...

Dazzling Killmen?

true that.

i just think converge is the greatest. even though they get labeled "mathy", nothing they do ever seems unnatural or forced to me. dillinger, on the other hand, always gives me that feeling. they're spectacularly talented and all, but i just can't get past the idea that a lot of what they do is for show.
    Ok, when I first heard Coalesce, Converge and DEP, my first thought was, wow, this is pretty cool, but the Dazzling Killmen did it first.

After listening further, I realize that these bands are doing some stuff that's pretty new and cool. I've had JANE DOE in my hand several times at various stores but have never picked it up. I'm finally starting to warm up to their sound a little from the few soungs I've (shhhhh) downloaded. Same with DEP.. pretty addictive. I wouldn't call them Dazzling Killmen rip-offs anymore, but the influence is there..

But anyway, just curious if you are at all familiar with the Killmen? It's a shame they didn't get a chance to play in front of more "metal" audiences (Duane Dennison from the Jesus Lizard told me once he tried to talk them into playing some metal shows, but they refused).. but they were a great band, not as hyper as DEP, but they could play and their sound was pretty menacing..

-jar

The Replacements

Forum Regular

Jane Doe

the Dazzling Killmen did it first.
    i will definitely check them out.

Jane Doe is a work of art. it's an album you have to listen to top to bottom. it's both brutal and beautiful. tragic and soothing...

i really can't say enough about it, and at the same time i know i can't put my thoughts and feelings about it into words. (i actually think that album cover is the most perfect representation of what the album sounds and feels like).

the first track is just musical full frontal nudity. a total slap in the face that sets the tone for the rest of the album to follow.

i guess i'm saying the next time you have it in your hands you should buy it. haha.

todd

edit: you were mentioning how they take a little time to warm up to, and i agree. at the same time, i love how that first track on Jane Doe gives you absolutely no opportunity to warm up to them whatsoever. it's just balls out - here's what we are, like it of leave it. other tracks from the album could have come first to draw a listener in... but i like the approach they took much better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information