Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,158

    Off Topic -- New Blood

    OMG I am so glad the effin Yankees are NOT in the World Series.
    Way to go Texas.
    Texas annual payroll = $50 million.
    Yankees annual payroll = $220 million.

    This morning in Vegas, Cliff Lee and the Rangers are a 1.25 to 1 favorite over the Giants in the first game........................this is even true at San Francisco with Lincecum on the home mound.

    Stout !

    Maybe the Series will be enjoyable this year.

  2. #2
    Indifferentist Slosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,221
    Yankees are help paying the Rangers' pay roll too. The legacy of W. . . . .
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.


  3. #3
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Is that baseball stuff still going on?

    Don't you know it's hockey season!

  4. #4
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Us Yankee fans don't mind stepping aside now and then to let the occasional one hit wonder get a chance. Good luck to the Rangers. It should be a fun series.
    Take good care of Cliff Lee for us. We’ll be needing him in top form for us next season.


    Hockey? What's that?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Us Yankee fans don't mind stepping aside now and then to let the occasional one hit wonder get a chance. Good luck to the Rangers. It should be a fun series.
    Take good care of Cliff Lee for us. We’ll be needing him in top form for us next season.

    Yes you will..........because the NYY pitching sucked during the ALCS.
    This is so accurately revealing....................................I wonder if Steinbrenner bought his way into Heaven ?

  6. #6
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    Yes you will..........because the NYY pitching sucked during the ALCS.
    This is so accurately revealing....................................I wonder if Steinbrenner bought his way into Heaven ?
    I don't think they take Master Card at the gate.

    You might not see the same news we do about old George. It seems that he gave hundreds of millions away to people in need. The only rule being that they couldn't tell anyone. Now that he's gone, many stories that few knew about are coming out. He wasn't the jerk we all thought he was.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  7. #7
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Yes, I'm also very glad the Yanks aren't in it...

    ...and the Phillies too (I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan, believe it or not). My hate for the Yankees goes back to that stoopid 'curse of Bambino' and I was actually fine with the BoSox beating St. Louis to get their first W.S. ring, just because that was the end of that stoopid 'curse'.

    My biggest problem with the Yanks is their ability to spend an almost unlimited amount of money to land free agents. Yes, they pay a luxury tax and the league rules allow it, but they're in the biggest market in the country and have sweetheart cable and radio deals that earns them a fortune, aside from all the other stuff.

    I wish there was a true salary cap. Period. I know that buying all the best players doesn't always work because some have already peaked and others will sign elsewhere, but it's worked for them often enough.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  8. #8
    Close 'n Play® user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318
    Texas sucks.

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,158
    He wasn't the jerk we all thought he was.
    Sure he was.............don't you watch Seinfeld ?


    My biggest problem with the Yanks is their ability to spend an almost unlimited amount of money to land free agents. Yes, they pay a luxury tax and the league rules allow it, but they're in the biggest market in the country and have sweetheart cable and radio deals that earns them a fortune, aside from all the other stuff.
    ...........and there it is............


    Texas sucks.
    Yes.............................in about one week they will be sucking (California) Champagne in the locker room.

  10. #10
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    I'm not sure which team I'd like to win. I like them both. Too bad the Phillies didn't make it. Then I'd at least have someone to route against.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  11. #11
    Stainmaster Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Fumbuck
    Posts
    2,630
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael


    Hockey? What's that?
    All you need to know.


  12. #12
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Geeks who chase parked cars?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  13. #13
    Close 'n Play® user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    Texas sucks.
    Yes.............................in about one week they will be sucking (California) Champagne in the locker room.
    Perhaps, but even so, it will not prevent Texas from sucking any less.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular MindGoneHaywire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    1,125
    I like how the Yankees are somehow bad for wanting to put a winning team on the field and doing it with money instead of just the draft. Yeah, sure, it's crass. So? Should every team in baseball run their operations like the Pirates or Kansas City?

    The Yankees would be profitable whether they spent so much money on salaries or not. But the owners who collect their share of luxury tax and other revenue sharing get a pass when it comes to spending some money on talent...which helps build competitive teams...which puts a$$es in the seats...which brings more profitability.

    But the Yankees are bad because they spend money. Never mind that there have been owners unwilling to spend money for good players forever; the Yankees beat up on plenty of bad teams even in the 1920s to build the stats they compiled. And forget about the fact that the cost of living is higher in NYC than most places, and most industries have to pay for talent at significantly higher rates than in most of the rest of the country. That said, obviously $20 million a year or whatever is a stretch on that logic, but it still applies to a point. Does it not make sense for a player who's in demand to say, if they want me to play in New York, I'll do it, but they have to pay me way more than I'd take from another team to put up with life in the big city?

    Steinbrenner WAS the jerk we thought he was; it's just that he was a lot more than that, was a lot of things we didn't know. Those stories about how he humiliated the people who worked for him didn't just go away because it was revealed that he was enormously charitable.

    Many controversial people are more complex than they are painted. I loathed Steinbrenner for a long time. When I started to consider that maybe there was more to the story I realized that, like in many other situations, it's real easy to NOT look beyond the obvious to see if there's something else going on. I came to respect that he wanted to win instead of disliking him for it. When I found baseball writers that were critical of how other owners ran their teams, it provided me with a different perspective.

    If spending money were all a team had to do to be the best team in baseball, the Yankees would never have a year go by where they didn't win the World Series. They've obviously developed talent, possibly the best example of it in the era of free agency. The typical performance arc that's cyclical in most sports was defied last year in a way I don't think I've ever seen. And they did with Sabathia what they couldn't with Pavano or Jaret Wright; managed to snag Teixeria to make up for the colossal mistake of signing Jason Giambi, which was a business-based decision relating to the launching of their cable network. But they've thrown money at a few players who simply couldn't perform well, for whatever reason. Nevertheless, with all their foibles, they never manage to escape the endless criticism, yadda yadda yadda. But consider the Yankees, and also the Red Sox, in terms of how the teams are run...and contrast them with another big-market team...the Mets. A team that wears a uniform the team they're playing once sported, a team that builds a stadium with a grand entrance pavilion dedicated to a player that never played for them.

    At some point you have to acknowledge that some teams just have more insightful baseball executives making decisions on what goes on with the team. One more thing to hate about the Yankees is that, like Boston & Philly, they're a well-run team, with qualified people in key roles. It goes without saying that most teams either can't spend on their level, or simply make bad decisions as a matter of course. Is it the Yankees' fault that they have resources other teams don't? Oh, heck, it might as well be. How big a market was the team that won 116 games one season after building a perennial contender that only got better AFTER they traded or lost their best players? Now there's an argument for a salary cap!

    The salary cap in football didn't prevent a dynasty in New England, and in basketball it hasn't stopped the Lakers. But in baseball a lot of teams have made it to the playoffs over the past several years, notably from relatively small markets like Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and Colorado.

    The Yankees folded for several reasons down the stretch and obviously were outclassed by a Rangers team built to win that's peaking at the right time, thanks of course to Cliff Lee, whose trade to the Yankees was reported to be an agreement in principle before the Mariners went back to the deal they wanted more, the one that included Smoak. I thought the Yankees matched up well against them as opposed to Tampa Bay but they weren't going to win anything meaningful without Teixeira even if Hughes had pitched well in Texas. I'm still trying to figure out how they won 95 games with the subpar seasons they had from too many key players.

    I think the Series shapes up to be very interesting. You Yankee haters carry on. You give many of us who root for a team that actually wants to win a rhetorical chubby.

    I don't like others.

  15. #15
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I like how the Yankees are somehow bad for wanting to put a winning team on the field and doing it with money instead of just the draft. Yeah, sure, it's crass. So? Should every team in baseball run their operations like the Pirates or Kansas City?
    Don't misinterpret my comments. I don't blame the Yankees for spending the way they because it's allowed, but I blame MBL for not having a real salary cap. While it's true the cap hasn't prevented certain teams in other sports to dominate, it's still disheartening to see nearly every big-name player on the free agent market go to the Yankees. I'll never disrespect some of their individual players, like Jeter and Posada, but I do take pleasure when they stumble with that huge payroll and have a jerk like A-Rod on their roster.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  16. #16
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Is that baseball stuff still going on?

    Don't you know it's hockey season!
    Sure do, as the Flyers kicked butt on Toronto the other night 5-2!

  17. #17
    _ Luvin Da Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    _
    Posts
    1,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Sure do, as the Flyers kicked butt on Toronto the other night 5-2!

    Not too much to brag about here, it's only the Maple Laughs. LOL
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

  18. #18
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,158
    To MGH :
    In a business context, I wound never disagree with anything you posted above, but I will add this thought :

    Because the NYY do have inordinate resources, they are able to "buy" pennants. I don't believe that is the biggest problem with fans that like to boo the Yanks.
    The biggest problem is the obnoxious presumption that if any player has a standout performance in a given year, then they are property of the Yankees for the rest of their career (as reflected in GMichaels gut reaction in his first post above). Perhaps its not so much that the Yankees are able to do that, as much is it is that the other teams that finally get help from a top notch player are not able to keep them.

    That is the reason it was sweet to watch the Rangers kick some NYY a$$ while the Yanks were fielding three ex-Rangers.

    Believe me, NBA fans loved watching the Heat lose the game last night....same reason.

  19. #19
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    To MGH :
    In a business context, I wound never disagree with anything you posted above, but I will add this thought :

    Because the NYY do have inordinate resources, they are able to "buy" pennants. I don't believe that is the biggest problem with fans that like to boo the Yanks.
    The biggest problem is the obnoxious presumption that if any player has a standout performance in a given year, then they are property of the Yankees for the rest of their career (as reflected in GMichaels gut reaction in his first post above). Perhaps its not so much that the Yankees are able to do that, as much is it is that the other teams that finally get help from a top notch player are not able to keep them.

    That is the reason it was sweet to watch the Rangers kick some NYY a$$ while the Yanks were fielding three ex-Rangers.

    Believe me, NBA fans loved watching the Heat lose the game last night....same reason.
    My comment on Cliff Lee was because he was already on the table to come to NY. Not because every big name player out there somehow belongs to us. It was not a "gut reaction" as much as stating a situation already in the works. Please remove my reflection from your thoughts.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  20. #20
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    My comment on Cliff Lee was because he was already on the table to come to NY.
    Incorrect..............Cliff Lee was on the table to leave Seattle.

  21. #21
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    Incorrect..............Cliff Lee was on the table to leave Seattle.
    ...and the Yankees were not only a part of that trade talk, but much talk has been made that he would still end up here next year. All I did was bring up talk that has already been going on.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  22. #22
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    While I couldn't care less about the NBA...

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder
    To MGH :
    That is the reason it was sweet to watch the Rangers kick some NYY a$$ while the Yanks were fielding three ex-Rangers.

    Believe me, NBA fans loved watching the Heat lose the game last night....same reason.
    ...I thoroughly enjoyed their loss to the Celtics, who I also don't like. That whole Lebron 'The Decision' thing was the most pretentious piece of crap I've ever hear of, right up there with that Oprah dinner.

    I almost forgot how the Yanks had those ex-Rangers, so that is a bonus. It was argued that the Cardinals owner had a lot more money than Steinbrenner so why didn't he spend it on players, and I responded that, while the Busch family certainly had more money, that was from the beer business, not the baseball team. You don't take money from one business to sink into another. The Cardinals have to stand on their own, and they do, but they don't make as much money in that Middle-America location.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  23. #23
    Close 'n Play® user Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Highway 6, between Tonopah and Ely
    Posts
    2,318
    Like I said, Texas sucks. They should be embarrassed.

  24. #24
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,243
    I was hoping to see Texas do well. Maybe when they get home they'll do better. But I wouldn't mind seeing our old sister team get the win either.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  25. #25
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Embarrassed? About what?

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Like I said, Texas sucks. They should be embarrassed.
    Winning the American League pennant? Beating the Yankees? Oh, you mean losing the first two games? Well, that's why they play a 7 game series. Don't count your chickens, although the team from the land of fruits and nuts is looking pretty good so far, but that doesn't mean Texas sucks.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •