Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,158

    Off Topic = "Convenience" Fees

    Just to let everyone know..............

    There is actually a lawsuit pending in the State of Arkansas wherein TicketBastard has been sued for excessive fees, antitrust, and monopoly of market structure.

    I'll inform the board of any progress.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

  2. #2
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
    Just to let everyone know..............

    There is actually a lawsuit pending in the State of Arkansas wherein TicketBastard has been sued for excessive fees, antitrust, and monopoly of market structure.

    I'll inform the board of any progress.
    I wish them luck.

    When Bruce Springsteen started raising a ruckus about Ticketmaster's practices, the Premier of Ontario said that he was going to investigate TM's business practices in Ontario...but then (as usual) he didn't keep his promise and that was the last we ever heard of it.

  3. #3
    AR Newbie Registered Member angelicaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4
    If you canít pay on tax day, it is nearly always more cost-effective to use some of the redresses offered by the IRS. Taxpayers who are unable to pay can request a 120 days extension to pay, penalty free.

    Beyond that, the IRS offers monthly tax installment payment plans that cut the normal late payment penalty of 0.5 percent to 0.25 percent. There is an application fee for an installment payment plan that varies depending on income and other factors. These fees run from $43 to $105, but even with that, it is generally a better deal than most credit cards will offer.

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by angelicab View Post
    if you canít pay on tax day, it is nearly always more cost-effective to use some of the redresses offered by the irs. Taxpayers who are unable to pay can request a 120 days extension to pay, penalty free.

    Beyond that, the irs offers monthly tax installment payment plans that cut the normal late payment penalty of 0.5 percent to 0.25 percent. There is an application fee for an installment payment plan that varies depending on income and other factors. These fees run from $43 to $105, but even with that, it is generally a better deal than most credit cards will offer.
    wtf ?
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

  5. #5
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    The most traffic on this site is spam.

    But at least you got a "Pity Click"

    I usually only go to shows at a few local small venues where I can drive to the box office on a Saturday and buy my tickets. They charge a Restoration Fee but I am ok with that since the Keswick is somewhere near 100 y/o and an awesome theater.

    Like I keep saying, if people just stop paying these outrageous fees on top of the outrageous original prices, something will give. But as long as people keep feeding the problem, it isn't going away.

    Just Say No to Shows and see what happens.

  6. #6
    42 Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West of the fields, long gone
    Posts
    1,338
    Say what you will about the angelica 'bot... but she is rocking the "sexy librarian" look, if you ask me.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

  7. #7
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    The most traffic on this site is spam.

    But at least you got a "Pity Click"

    I usually only go to shows at a few local small venues where I can drive to the box office on a Saturday and buy my tickets. They charge a Restoration Fee but I am ok with that since the Keswick is somewhere near 100 y/o and an awesome theater.

    Like I keep saying, if people just stop paying these outrageous fees on top of the outrageous original prices, something will give. But as long as people keep feeding the problem, it isn't going away.

    Just Say No to Shows and see what happens.

    Good point. I get better sound in my own room, I don't have to stand in some drunken a$$holes ( who couldn't hit the urinal ) piss to go to the bathroom. Don't have to sit in traffic jams to get home. Sorry to rant.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

    HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

  8. #8
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    Say what you will about the angelica 'bot... but she is rocking the "sexy librarian" look, if you ask me.
    Sort of the Uma Thurman look from My Super Ex-Girlfriend.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

    HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

  9. #9
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Good point. I get better sound in my own room, I don't have to stand in some drunken a$$holes ( who couldn't hit the urinal ) piss to go to the bathroom. Don't have to sit in traffic jams to get home. Sorry to rant.
    Agreed as well. Most venues actually suck for sound. Most bands think they have to play at deafening volume to sound good. Most of the bands I like are now Geezer Bands and the vocals just suck.

    For the price of 1 ticket these days, you can buy a bands whole library and listen forever on a good sounding system.

    I get that it's fun to go to a live event, and lots of people get off on large crowds and that is fine if thats how they want to spend their money. But, those same people should not be whining about the costs and fees because they are the reason they are what they are.

    Lots to be said for a good old fashioned boycott but the sheep just won't comply.

    Oh yeah, the BOT is cute and actually has a name that is not just random letters, which should be flagged immediately when an account is created. She also filled out her profile some, which leads me to think it's another Dusty Bieber......Sticks!

  10. #10
    Forum Regular nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,964
    Live shows aren't about sound quality. If they were, no one would ever show up to listen to a band just crank the hell out of a cheap PA. Then again, that is probably the result of my pretty much exclusively seeing small venue shows where TicketBastard isn't a factor anyway. I will go to a bigger show now and then if I have the cash and the venue isn't horrible and I really love the band, but that perfect storm of conditions hasn't happened in a few years now.

    What does suck though is people have become so used to these fees even small venues can tack on a couple bucks when you try to buy in advance. Then they raise day of by a couple bucks to get those extra bucks for people who just pay at the door. I'd rather they just tell me the ticket is $12 instead of claiming it is $10 but with a service charge. Because really a $10 item that requires you to pay $2 to purchase it is just a $12 item. I have no idea why they can't just call it such.

    Still, I do love live music. Its fun to have that communal music experience and there is a different energy that gets transmitted when you're seeing a band in person even if the technical aspects aren't as polished as on record. Plus you get different versions of songs, covers, surprise new songs, a bit of interaction with the bands if the venue's not big. So yeah, no boycott gonna happen here. I'll just keep finding smaller and cheaper venues to get my fix. Also...local bands. Get to know who plays around your town. If you live in a city, there's probably someone you'd enjoy playing most weekends for a pittance and they could really use your support.

  11. #11
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    My sentiments exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Live shows aren't about sound quality. If they were, no one would ever show up to listen to a band just crank the hell out of a cheap PA. Then again, that is probably the result of my pretty much exclusively seeing small venue shows where TicketBastard isn't a factor anyway. I will go to a bigger show now and then if I have the cash and the venue isn't horrible and I really love the band, but that perfect storm of conditions hasn't happened in a few years now.

    What does suck though is people have become so used to these fees even small venues can tack on a couple bucks when you try to buy in advance. Then they raise day of by a couple bucks to get those extra bucks for people who just pay at the door. I'd rather they just tell me the ticket is $12 instead of claiming it is $10 but with a service charge. Because really a $10 item that requires you to pay $2 to purchase it is just a $12 item. I have no idea why they can't just call it such.

    Still, I do love live music. Its fun to have that communal music experience and there is a different energy that gets transmitted when you're seeing a band in person even if the technical aspects aren't as polished as on record. Plus you get different versions of songs, covers, surprise new songs, a bit of interaction with the bands if the venue's not big. So yeah, no boycott gonna happen here. I'll just keep finding smaller and cheaper venues to get my fix. Also...local bands. Get to know who plays around your town. If you live in a city, there's probably someone you'd enjoy playing most weekends for a pittance and they could really use your support.
    Not sure what kind of shows Jack is used to, but I find most of the venues I frequent to be clean and the crowds friendly.

    I also hate the convenience fees and such, but if I have to pay it to get the tickets, then that's what I'll do. I just saw Swervedriver one night and The Joy Formidable the following night, and neither show was more than $20. One the schedule are Graham Parker, Andrew Bird, Destroyer and Built to Spill.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  12. #12
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    Not sure what kind of shows Jack is used to, but I find most of the venues I frequent to be clean and the crowds friendly.

    I also hate the convenience fees and such, but if I have to pay it to get the tickets, then that's what I'll do. I just saw Swervedriver one night and The Joy Formidable the following night, and neither show was more than $20. One the schedule are Graham Parker, Andrew Bird, Destroyer and Built to Spill.
    I'm mainly talking about the big venues like the Wells Fargo and the old Spectrum and the outdoor Sony Center in Camden. We went to an Elton John concert a couple of years back at the Sony Center and we had to break up at least four fights out on the lawn. It was all these young kids flexing their beer muscles. Sure most of the people are friendly, but it only takes a few to ruin it. Like the one and only time I saw the Stones. The guy in front of me must have gotten 6 cell phone calls. Appeared that he went to the concert and his girlfriend didn't so she had to keep calling him. They're the kind of people that ruin concerts
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

    HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

  13. #13
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    I can't think of one band I need to see at a 'big' venue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I'm mainly talking about the big venues like the Wells Fargo and the old Spectrum and the outdoor Sony Center in Camden. We went to an Elton John concert a couple of years back at the Sony Center and we had to break up at least four fights out on the lawn. It was all these young kids flexing their beer muscles. Sure most of the people are friendly, but it only takes a few to ruin it. Like the one and only time I saw the Stones. The guy in front of me must have gotten 6 cell phone calls. Appeared that he went to the concert and his girlfriend didn't so she had to keep calling him. They're the kind of people that ruin concerts
    So I guess that's why we have differing views on live shows. The biggest show I've been to in the last 20+ years was probably Arcade Fire at the Merriweather.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Swish View Post
    So I guess that's why we have differing views on live shows. The biggest show I've been to in the last 20+ years was probably Arcade Fire at the Merriweather.
    Back in the 70's that was pretty much all you had if you wanted to see the big name acts. The shows were great and cheap, but you did have the people that came just to party. When I went to Nearfest a couple of years back, everyone was well behaved. This year, I don't care for half the bands playing. We wanted to get tickets to the Capital Jazz Fest at the Merriweather but the dates conflicked with our cruise. Like Hyfi said, with the price of tickets and fees, I can take that money and buy something new to add to my system and enjoy it every day.
    Last edited by Jack in Wilmington; 04-19-2012 at 05:35 AM.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

    HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

  15. #15
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    I love big venue shows! Being in a small crowd can be great too. I also love a nice, small, intimate show. But I just don't feel the same energy coming off a crowd of 2,000 as I do a crowd of 20,000. So, I will continue to go to big venue shows that I want to go to and I will continue to pay the prices as well as all the ****ty fees. I will also continue to exercise my right to free speech and complain about the fees.

  16. #16
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I love big venue shows! Being in a small crowd can be great too. I also love a nice, small, intimate show. But I just don't feel the same energy coming off a crowd of 2,000 as I do a crowd of 20,000. So, I will continue to go to big venue shows that I want to go to and I will continue to pay the prices as well as all the ****ty fees. I will also continue to exercise my right to free speech and complain about the fees.
    I know that was directed at me....but Action speaks louder than Words and you are part of the problem.

    And it's my free speech right to point that out.

  17. #17
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post

    Oh yeah, the BOT is cute and actually has a name that is not just random letters, which should be flagged immediately when an account is created. She also filled out her profile some, which leads me to think it's another Dusty Bieber......Sticks!

    What's a Beiberstick?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  18. #18
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    What's a Beiberstick?
    LOL.....took you long enough but I guess you were busy deleting BOT accounts

  19. #19
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    LOL.....took you long enough but I guess you were busy deleting BOT accounts
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  20. #20
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    I guess I forgot about the New Orleans Jazz Fest...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Back in the 70's that was pretty much all you had if you wanted to see the big name acts. The shows were great and cheap, but you did have the people that came just to party. When I went to Nearfest a couple of years back, everyone was well behaved. This year, I don't care for half the bands playing. We wanted to get tickets to the Capital Jazz Fest at the Merriweather but the dates conflicked with our cruise. Like Hyfi said, with the price of tickets and fees, I can take that money and buy something new to add to my system and enjoy it every day.
    ...although I haven't been to it since 2004, which was the year before Katrina. There were probably 100,000 or more on the big days, a little less on the others, although there are a bunch of different stages and tents, meaning there were shows going on simultaneously and you would never have everyone at the same stage.

    The Job Johnnies would get a bit disgusting but the people were generally well-behaved and friendly...except the New Yorkers.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  21. #21
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
    Just to let everyone know..............

    There is actually a lawsuit pending in the State of Arkansas wherein TicketBastard has been sued for excessive fees, antitrust, and monopoly of market structure.

    I'll inform the board of any progress.
    In the business section of the paper today (you can see it in the Arkansas Democrat - Gazette online), the State Supreme Court has found that TicketBastard is GUILTY of violating the law under the SCALPING code.

    HA !
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

  22. #22
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    I know that was directed at me....but Action speaks louder than Words and you are part of the problem.

    And it's my free speech right to point that out.
    I'll make a deal with you. I'll stop complaining about fees when you stop complaining about this web site. Just sayin...

  23. #23
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'll make a deal with you. I'll stop complaining about fees when you stop complaining about this web site. Just sayin...
    Guess that ain't gonna happen......

    Sorry my complaints are effecting your disposition.

    People wonder why this place is dead and admins/mods have asked for suggestions in the past as to how to attract more traffic. I had no idea that the Admins idea of more traffic was a daily onslaught of BOT posts. Shows what I know.

  24. #24
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi View Post
    Guess that ain't gonna happen......

    I had no idea that the Admins idea of more traffic was a daily onslaught of BOT posts. Shows what I know.
    LMAO!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •