View Poll Results: Bells and whisles

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cool, I like. Thanks.

2 66.67%
  • Meh, Middling to Average. Thanks, though

0 0%
  • You like this? Bah! A plague on your ears.

0 0%
  • I could care less

1 33.33%
    Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar

Noddin's 2009 Year End Comp

No doubt less anticipated, I’ve got my 2009 year end comp ready. It’s nearly antithetical to Slosh’s. No whine; generally slower and a tad melancholy. I didn’t find much uptempto this year that struck me as interesting, and what there was, Slosh pretty much summed up and more. Granted, I don’t buy quite as much stuff as many of the regulars here.

Albums I thought were particularly good
    Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3 : Goodnight Oslo
    Cosmos : Jar of Jam Ton of Bricks
    Heartless Bastards : The Mountain
    Lee Harvey Osmond : A Quiet Evil

That I was surprised to like
    Fever Ray : Fever Ray
    Neko Case : Middle Cyclone

I’ve got 3 different links for you. They all go to Mediafire and let you download individual tracks (I don’t really find it any easier/faster to zip lossless files together). The mp3 is one zipped download. There’s a PDF of jewel case art at each link if you’re interested. I went through the hoops to make all the files behave and be tagged as a single album (Noddin’s 2009 Year End Comp) with tracks in proper order. You should be able to drag and drop files into your player/system of choice, hassle free.

Of course, for the luddites out there, PM me if you want a hard copy.

iTunes users should go for this one (6.18 GB)

FLAC aficionados take this one (6.18 GB)

MP3 folks (you don’t have to admit it), this one (71.2 MB).

The whole thing is about 57 minutes. Tracks are as follows.

01 Mulatu Astatke and the Heliocentrics : Masenqo (Inspiration Information)
    02 Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3 : I'm Falling (Goodnight Oslo)
    03 Cosmos : Zeppelin Commander (Jar of Jam Ton of Bricks)
    04 Pearl Jam : Just Breathe (Backspacer)
    05 Bill Callahan : Jim Cain (Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle)
    06 Andrew Bird : Tenuousness (Noble Beast)
    07 Heartless Bastards : Be So Happy (The Mountain)
    08 Son Volt : When the Wheels Don't Move (American Central Dust)
    09 Ben Harper and Relentless7 : Keep It Together (So I Can Fall Apart) (White Lies for Dark Times)
    10 M. Ward : Never Had Nobody Like You (Hold Time)
    11 Fever Ray : Triangle Walks (Fever Ray)
    12 Norah Jones : You've Ruined Me (The Fall)
    13 Neko Case : Middle Cyclone (Middle Cyclone)
    14 Robyn Hitchcock & The Venus 3 : Goodnight Oslo (Goodnight Oslo)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Nice work. My hat's off to you for narrowing it down so well. It's not easy to take a year of releases and widdle it to 14 tracks. That shows me that you know your music well, and you're confident in your decisions.

I have never been a big fan of VA/Comp releases but I am enjoying them more as I get older. This works for me and an extra nod for the lossless. Much appreciated...oh, what's this?!? A headbang for you sir!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloading now, thanks.

Lots of similar artists to Slosh's comp . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Lots of similar artists to Slosh's comp . . .
    Heh, Yeah, it's kind of hard to put any song worth something out there and not hit an artist on Slosh's comp! Hopefully, mine provides a worthwhile alternate take on the same artist.

Quote Originally Posted by pappachubby
    That shows me that you know your music well, and you're confident in your decisions.
    I wouldn't go that far, either in supposing knowledge or confidence. :-) I have to say AR really put me on to listening to comps as well as thinking about putting them up. Lots of stories about the glory days of snail mail floating around that I missed out on. I received a couple older ones from Davey that I listen to a lot. Most of Slosh's have been great, as have been Nobody's, Jim Clark's and more.

I like listening to everyone's perspective on the year. Broadens the mind.

I've been thinking of putting the one's I have from 2006 on up somewhere. I think a lot of formerly bandwidth limited people missed out. Maybe mp3 would be easiest. It'd be nice to have the archive available.

Hmm, several on here I've been curious about, the Pearl Jam, Norah Jones & Son Volt. Stuff I wouldn't ordinarily buy, but might if I like what I hear.

And I'm a Hitchcock fan, so thanks!

fp

I added a NJ pic, just for the eye candy. Nummy!

Oh, and Poppa?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittling :^)

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

Hahaha...you better keep your spelling tight Finch...REAL tight!!! I'll be watching...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hahaha...you better keep your spelling tight Finch...REAL tight!!! I'll be watching...
    Ewe gott et!

Thanks for this - downloaded this morning on I'm on my first listen on my computer at work. Gonna burn me a CD and play it at home on the main rig tonight.

This is going to be great for me as, unlike Slosh's (which is great BTW), I don't have any of the albums represented here. Really like The Heartless Bastard's and the Mulatu Astatke tracks, among others.

And I surmise that Bill Callahan must be the singer from The Tindersticks - can't mistake that distinctive voice.

Thanks
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Of course I'm in, and I only need to d/l eight of the songs

Oh, BTW, I couldn't care less how you worded your poll.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Thanks for putting this out there for us.

I liked the soundscape-y, mashup-quality of the Mulatu Astatke and the Heliocentrics and Fever Ray, but that's about it. The Hitchcock songs are OK. Combined with the one on Slosh's comp, I can't see any reason to seek the album out tho. It feels like just another RH album, I already have a bunch that sound like this.

My god, do I dislike Andrew Bird. What a pretentious bore.

Overall, the entire disc is too acoustic, rootsy and melancholy for me. I feel like I heard all this music many years ago.

Thanks again for the sampler!

Cool First Spin

NP:
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    And I surmise that Bill Callahan must be the singer from The Tindersticks - can't mistake that distinctive voice.
    Smog, but what do I know?

Just out of curiosity, Slosh, were the parent album tags buried in the files or did you enter them in? Same question for the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Thanks for putting this out there for us.

I liked the soundscape-y, mashup-quality of the Mulatu Astatke and the Heliocentrics and Fever Ray, but that's about it. The Hitchcock songs are OK. Combined with the one on Slosh's comp, I can't see any reason to seek the album out tho. It feels like just another RH album, I already have a bunch that sound like this.

My god, do I dislike Andrew Bird. What a pretentious bore.

Overall, the entire disc is too acoustic, rootsy and melancholy for me. I feel like I heard all this music many years ago.

Thanks again for the sampler!
    Yeah, I definitely felt like I was listening backward in time rather than forward this year. I was sort of surprised that most of what I liked in 2009 had that more analogy, lo-fi, low production feel to it. I predict 2010 will be the year of Tin Pan Alley remakes for me. You pegged the two that struck me as 'new' and interesting. I'm not sure they'll hold up after a year or two. Fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Hmm, several on here I've been curious about, the Pearl Jam, Norah Jones & Son Volt. Stuff I wouldn't ordinarily buy, but might if I like what I hear.

And I'm a Hitchcock fan, so thanks!
    I posted on Pearl Jam in the What is spinning? thread CLICK HERE
    In retrospect, I'd back off on the 'very good' and go with good. That said, I don't find myself wanting to play it much. Son Volt is a band I want to like more than I do. This years isn't as good as the last release. I like RH, and have been enjoying the alternation lately between RH and RH&V3 releases. The V3 is tight and good (as they outta be). Methinks they'll make a monster hit in the near future if they keep it up together. Perhaps just wishful thinking. Goodnight Oslo makes me think back to Perspex Island for nearest relative, updated for the now.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Just out of curiosity, Slosh, were the parent album tags buried in the files or did you enter them in? Same question for the genre.
    No, I changed them. I like to keep my music files organized as if I ripped them myself with each artist in its own folder, and each album from said artist inside that folder. That way if there's an album I want to pick up later all I have to do is rip the rest of the tracks and EAC won't go and create a new folder on me. Notice I changed the track numbers too. Then I recreated your playlist.

I concede the way you set it up will certainly be much easier for less anal-retentive types.

Yes, I keep my CDs and LPs in alphabetical and chronological order too.

Need a few more spins before I vote in the poll, though.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Yes, I keep my CDs and LPs in alphabetical and chronological order too.
    I used to do that, but my husband couldn't get with the program. So now I just settle for alphabetical (and I don't always get that ).

I should be working

Here's some stats on what our AR community downloads as of Dec 11.

From the data I infer that

1) 1/3 of us are lossless snobs.
    2) Only a dozen people are interested. (Up by about 30% over last year)
    3) Two or three people don't care about comps and just want to pick up singles they don't have.
    4) Just under half of lossless lovers get tired of downloading after a few tracks.
    4) Just under 10% of listeners care to click on polls.

cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noddin's 2009 Year End Comp-downloads.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Here's some stats on what our AR community downloads as of Dec 11.

From the data I infer that

2) Only a dozen people are interested. (Up by about 30% over last year)
    That many, huh?

Thread Information