Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The next album I wanna buy is ......

Pinback Summer in Abaddon. Just came out this past week and I've been kind of anxious to give it a listen. Haven't had a chance to read much about it but what I have sounds very good, especially the customer reviews at amazon. So that's probably next for me. On Touch & Go so probably can't just stop by the local Wal-Mart and snag a copy for under $10

Just saw today that they posted an over-the-top review at http://www.junkmedia.org/?i=1263 and that gave me the little nudge I needed so I'll have to hit one of the indie stores this weeked. Howza bout you? Anything you really want, new, old, freshly pressed or previously sold? Do you usually hit the store with a list, or do you just look for something that cries, "Take me home, please?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Anything you really want, new, old, freshly pressed or previously sold? Do you usually hit the store with a list, or do you just look for something that cries, "Take me home, please?!"
    I work from the list, and that ever-increasing list grew by 2 this week- Joseph Arthur's Our Shadows Will Remain and American Music Club's Love Song For Patriots. Make that 3- found out elsewhere that David Olney has a release that isn't in my inventory of all the rest of his catalog.

How come nobody is talking about the new Tom Waits, so's I can decide if I need it?????
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

The remaster of Porcupine Tree's On The Sunday Of Life.

I went to The Laser's Edge today and they were plumb out and I just checked two days ago and they still had it. Oh well. I ordered the new Jelly Jam and the new White Willow instead. And something from a new band from Poland that intrigued me. Name of the band is Riverside and their debut release Out Of Myself.

Went browsing today and ended up with the Supergrass' Life On Other Planets, Secret Machines' Now Here Is Nowhere and Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Beethoven's Last Night.

Darren
    Last edited by DarrenH; 10-15-2004 at 06:07 PM.
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

[i]Careless Love[/i] by Madeleine Peyroux

I have to get Careless Love by Madeleine Peyroux. You can learn more about it here (streamed audio): NPR : Singer Peyroux Returns with 'Careless Love

I really liked Dreamland, with strong Billy Holiday and Edith PIaf influences. Interesting and a bit off the beaten Norah Jones, Diana Krall path.

Bert

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    The remaster of Porcupine Tree's On The Sunday Of Life.

I went to The Laser's Edge today and they were plumb out and I just checked two days ago and they still had it. Oh well. I ordered the new Jelly Jam and the new White Willow instead. And something from a new band from Poland that entrigued me. Name of the band is Riverside and their debut release Out Of Myself.

Went browsing today and ended up with the Supergrass's Life On Other Planets, Secret Machines' Now Here Is Nowhere and Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Beethoven's Last Night.

Darren
    Hey Darren. I'm curious as to what you think of the Secret Machines disk. I bought it and gave it a few spins, but it hasn't caught my interest. It's not that I didn't like it. It's got some very good tunes on it. I just felt that overall, it was kinda boring. Maybe it was a mood thing. Right tunes, wrong time.

Anyway, let me know your impressions.

As for the next album that I want to buy...hmmmm....I've bought so many this month I'm not sure what's left for me. Maybe the new Wilco. Maybe that new Steve Wilson thingie...that one sounds very intriguing. Or the new REM disk. Aw heck. Who am I kidding...trying to choose just one. I want all of 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hey Darren. I'm curious as to what you think of the Secret Machines disk. I bought it and gave it a few spins, but it hasn't caught my interest. It's not that I didn't like it. It's got some very good tunes on it. I just felt that overall, it was kinda boring. Maybe it was a mood thing. Right tunes, wrong time.
    Autumn, I learned of this band from JC's recent comp and I really dug the tune that was included. That tune was "The Road Leads Where It's Lead' and imo is the best song on the disc. And I agree, the rest of it "Hasn't caught my interest". Fairly laid back indie type music is what I'm receiving. S'not bad but loses my interest quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Maybe that new Steve Wilson thingie...that one sounds very intriguing.
    If you're referring to Blackfield, then by all means, get it. I absolutely dig this.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

I believe that Arcade Fire album is at the top of my wallet list; how could I resist the hottest new indie property...plus, they're from my home town. That one's followed closely by the Green Day album that MindGoneHaywire and ForeverAutumn are raving about. Also on the list is Decline of British Sea Power, (since I seem to have misplaced my complementary copy you sent me as the "mystery disc"...man I miss that album, good excuse to get it on vinyl). Also the EP by The National, (is that what they're called?) is on the list.

But the problem with wallet lists is something can suddenly and without warning bypass the list completely. Like yesterday, you mentioned that band The Flaming Stars, so I check out the MP3s, and before I can say "increase the limit on the damn card", I'm at their record Co. website, ordering 2 albums. Kind of makes a mockery of the whole "wallet list" thing.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

barking up the wrong tree

probably CODENAME: DUSTSUCKER by Bark Psychosis.

I've only heard a few notes via their website, though I'm sure I'll love it.

Not sure what else I've been keeping my eyes out for.

Been meaning to get the newest Today Is The Day album for a while now. Apparently it just shreds.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

At the top of my list is

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill

His posthumous release. It's supposed to be very good, from initial reports and I've been eagerly awaiting its release (which I believe is next Tuesday). I bought the "Pretty (Ugly Before)" 7" last year and the version of that song is supposedly the same on the album. Very good song, and if the rest of the album is similar to that, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Take Joseph Arthur and American Music Club off my list- picked both up a while ago at Big B's semi-annual sale, along with 13 lp's @ fifty cents each, 5 used cd's @ a buck each. It's an illness. I swear it is. Hehee.

NP: American Music Club, Love Songs For Patriots- Damned good indie acoustic guitar and piano-driven toons. With BONGOS on a couple of cuts. Gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by tentoze
    It's an illness. I swear it is. Hehee.
    Well, at least you didn't feel the need to list them all and show us how far you really have deteriorated

Hehehe, you've got it bad, dude. Hope your son at least demonstrates a little more restraint than his old man! You got any old American Music Club? I have a couple by AMC and one Mark Eitzel solo but never quite fell in love with either. Good stuff...but maybe I just haven't heard their defining moments because I know they are almost worshipped in some quarters and this reunion album has been getting some pretty nice press. Lots of damn fine albums this year, maybe more than in any recent year fr me. No real "knock me to the moon" type albums but a very solid top 10 shaping up. Wonder how many are gonna scrape together year end comps in 2004? Should be some gooduns! I'll bet Sloshy folds under the pressure to duplicate that great one he did last year and produces a suckfest this year

Forum Regular
    Well seeing how I just ordered the new Duran Duran and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra disc there isn't much coming out that i can think of that really interests me cd-wise except for the new U2.
    DVD-Wise is the Stray Cats and maybe the Bowie
    Boxset-Wise is Vol.3 of the Motley Crue series.

Well, at least you didn't feel the need to list them all and show us how far you really have deteriorated

Hehehe, you've got it bad, dude. Hope your son at least demonstrates a little more restraint than his old man! You got any old American Music Club? I have a couple by AMC and one Mark Eitzel solo but never quite fell in love with either. Good stuff...but maybe I just haven't heard their defining moments because I know they are almost worshipped in some quarters and this reunion album has been getting some pretty nice press. Lots of damn fine albums this year, maybe more than in any recent year fr me. No real "knock me to the moon" type albums but a very solid top 10 shaping up. Wonder how many are gonna scrape together year end comps in 2004? Should be some gooduns! I'll bet Sloshy folds under the pressure to duplicate that great one he did last year and produces a suckfest this year
    Don't have any other AMC, but this new one is mighty good so far. I can see the tracklist on my piano comp (which is still a work in progress at this point) changing after today's haul. Been an excellent music year for me, and my year-end comp is gonna be a goodun indeed.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Take Joseph Arthur ...off my list...
    Hey, do tell how that is once you've had a chance to digest it, plz.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    ......Also the EP by The National, (is that what they're called?) is on the list....you mentioned that band The Flaming Stars, so I check out the MP3s, and before I can say "increase the limit on the damn card", I'm at their record Co. website, ordering 2 albums.
    Yeah, sounds like your as bad as tentoze! Hehehe, you're gonna love that Flaming Stars. They do some instrumentals that go off into Calexico or Giant Sand desert rock territory by way of Ennio Morricone. Very cool and high quality stuff. Which ones did you order? The new one? That National Cherry Tree EP may be my favorite release of the year right now. Awesome!

Which ones did you order?
    The one you referenced - "Sunset & Void". and, since I couldn't get vinyl on that one, I also ordered "Ginmill Perfume - The Story so Far 1995 - 2000". Nine bucks for the vinyl, how could I refuse?
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Hey, do tell how that is once you've had a chance to digest it, plz.
    3 full spins so far and I'll say it's a huge record. Dunno where this guy came from, but I'm certainly glad he got to my house. I'm working from a disadvantage here, because I don't really have anyone to point to and say "sounds like them." Some heavily-textured pop, with synths and drum loops; some raw rocking stuff. Lyrically dense and brooding. No single tune is anything less than outstanding. Another sleeper that'll end up very high on the year-end list. (I've reworked the comp I've been fooling with to include 2 cuts from it. PM an addy if you want one.)

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I seem to recall hearing Porcupine Tree has a new CD coming out soon? Next month maybe? Guess that's the one for me.
    I think Nine Inch Nails is close to a new one too...
    Other than that, not much I'm waiting for, hopefully I'll continue to find some diamonds in the rough...

Oh, someone told me the Allman Bros are back at it...anyone heard anything about that?

Forum Regular
    I would like a copy of Thin Lizzy's "Bad Reputation" in the mini-lp Japanese remaster pressing, but it's $28 so I will be in no rush to get that.

I would like some sealed lp's of bands I like too, waiting on my sealed copy of Ted Nugents "Double Live Gonzo" I ordered off of ebay...

I also bought an obscure Mi-Sex lp off of ebay, "Where do they Go", it's great synth pop stuff.

Dave

Don't have any other AMC, but this new one is mighty good so far.
    The "Another Morning" track opened the Uncut magazine Americana 2004 sampler from August and it did sound pretty nice. You might recall me mentioning how great this sampler is with recent tracks by lots of favorites including AMC, Josh Ritter, Jim White, Richmond Fontaine, Giant Sand, The National, Iron & Wine, Jesse Sykes, Papa M, Sun Kil Moon, Jay Farrar, etc. I'd send you a copy but I think you probably have just about everything on it now

I'm still on the hunt for Richmond Fontaine, and that The National EP is crawling up the wish list. Dunno Papa M at all; the rest, as you said, Are already on the shelf at my house.

And that new Joseph Arthur release is in constant rotation- it's a killah.

And that new Joseph Arthur release is in constant rotation- it's a killah.
    Man, you've convinced me already! It's up there at the top of my wishlist now. Didn't get to the store this past weekend to pick up that new Pinback but when I do, gotta snag that Joseph Arthur as well. I've heard some of his songs and lots of glowing comments, but never picked up one of the records....yet. Guess that's about to end, even though I've got waaaaaay too much stuff on the list as it is. You guys are a terrible influence on me, you know that don't you

BTW, a couple Papa M (David Pajo) tracks made it onto CRSV5, although the track on the Americana sampler is from his new and mostly instrumental (I think) singles retrospective collection. Not sure if you have a copy of that CRS or not, but he's teamed with Will Oldham on those songs from his very nice "Whatever, Mortal" album.
    Last edited by Davey; 10-18-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Red face Goodnight Nobody....

Goodnight Nobody by Julie Doiron is an album that's been on my radar.
    You might recall her name from the now-defunct Eric's Trip. I've heard that her most recent release is outstanding.
    I've heard a couple of songs on our local college radio and I really, really liked what I heard.

Cheers,
    audiobill

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Exclamation The next album I wanna buy is..

...Botch's We Are The Romans. More "noisecore"/math-metal goodness in a similar vein to Dillinger Escape Plan, The End, and Burnt By The Sun.

Just ordered it a couple of days ago from one of Amazon's adjunct outlets (from NJ, I think). I have a sinking feeling that the album is going out of print shortly--Amazon no longer carries it directly. So for those of the metal persuasion, pick it up soon! Everything else I've listened to from Botch has been crazy good, and We Are The Romans is reputed to be their best effort (out of 2 full-lengths and a final EP) so I don't think it'll disappoint.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    ...Botch's We Are The Romans. More "noisecore"/math-metal goodness in a similar vein to Dillinger Escape Plan, The End, and Burnt By The Sun.

Just ordered it a couple of days ago from one of Amazon's adjunct outlets (from NJ, I think). I have a sinking feeling that the album is going out of print shortly--Amazon no longer carries it directly. So for those of the metal persuasion, pick it up soon! Everything else I've listened to from Botch has been crazy good, and We Are The Romans is reputed to be their best effort (out of 2 full-lengths and a final EP) so I don't think it'll disappoint.
    Definately post a review.. I have AN ANTHOLOGY OF DEAD ENDS and it is very kick-ass metalcore goodness.. no doubt. Very short however.. couldn't really tell it was an EP when I bought it, but yea, it's short.

I'll have to send you some stuff from Craw's first two albums.. very out of print, but I think you'd dig 'em. Another one you'd enjoy is December's THE LAMENT CONFIGURATION. I've probably pushed this album several times by now, but it's a damn good blast of metal-hardcore insanity. Amazing drummer. Converge and Cave-In is Sunday night, and I just found out my friend's band is playing Saturday night.. not sure if I can make both shows!!

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information