Suspended

New Vivaldi never before recorded

Andrea Marcon and the Venice Baroque Orchesta featuring Giuliani Carmingo, violinist, have now recorded 5 Vivaldi violin concertos that have NEVER been recorded before. This is a Universal Classic recording in triple D and on authentic instruments of the period.

Vivaldi wrote 240 violin concertos and about 40 still have yet to be recorded. Even before hearing this disc I'd agree with the liner notes when they say "Vivaldi defined the virtuoso". I am a big fan of Vivaldi and Barogue in general. After hearing this disc just once I know it will be one of my favorite Vivaldi, if not the fav. The violin work on this disc is nothing short of incredible.

Great music, great musicianship & a great recording, I'd think you would add this to your collection too.

Suspended

Anyone agree with me on this?

I admit I have not seen the playlist of the CSN&Y tour but I have heard several times that it is political in nature. It was noted they don't do commentary and let the music do the talking. They play quite a bit of Neil's new album.

Here's my problem with that, if I pay the kind of money those tickets cost I'd want to hear my favorite songs not a bunch of stuff picked to send a message and I may or may not even like. I just don't think it's fair to fans to pay big money to see a band self indulge. On the other hand, I wouldn't and didn't plan to buy a ticket anyway. Maybe fans of like mind are into it. That's why I wanted to post this and see what you all think about it. This could also be said for many prior and possibly other future concerts but the CSN&Y is who is out there now doing it.

In radio interviews I've heard bands like The Stones and Aerosmith admit they have to play certain fan favorites at each show to make them happy. I think it was Tom Petty who said, "I'm going to play a song off my new album now so you can go to the bathroom".

I personally haven't been to a concert in decades. But, I did see Springsteen interview where he pretty much says he'll do or say anything he wants to, politically speaking, controversial or not. I say fine. But if I paid the king's ransom they're asking now days to see an artist I be completely pissed if they spent too much time harping on politics.

Back in the day, it was pretty harmless to spout off about current events. When you're only paying $12 to $15 for a ticket to watch two or more acts over a three or four hour period, then I could indulge an artists his soapbox. But in a day when you're paying $120 for a 90 minute concert, I don't think I could let an artist get away with it.

Of course, if you happen to like an artist's political views, and the songs that exemplify those views, then more power to you. It's your money.

Suspended
    This is odd, #1 & #2 posts are supposed to be two different threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Andrea Marcon and the Venice Baroque Orchesta featuring Giuliani Carmingo, violinist, have now recorded 5 Vivaldi violin concertos that have NEVER been recorded before. This is a Universal Classic recording in triple D and on authentic instruments of the period.

Vivaldi wrote 240 violin concertos and about 40 still have yet to be recorded. Even before hearing this disc I'd agree with the liner notes when they say "Vivaldi defined the virtuoso". I am a big fan of Vivaldi and Barogue in general. After hearing this disc just once I know it will be one of my favorite Vivaldi, if not the fav. The violin work on this disc is nothing short of incredible.

Great music, great musicianship & a great recording, I'd think you would add this to your collection too.
    Is this available for purchase yet? I did a quick search on Amazon and their latest violin concertos dates back to 2001.

Suspended
    Yes, I have it. Looking closer at the back, the album is on Deutsche Gramaphone, a division of Universal Classics. It also says Archiv production. If you can't find it on Amazon try www.universalclassics.com. The number above the bar code is: B0006504-02. I hope that's the right catalog number, if not, tell me where to look. I would have thought maybe a search for Andrea Marcon, conductor, or Venice Baroque Orchestra would have brought it up.

I bought mine locally from Webster Records 314-961-4656.

Let me know if you find it or have any more trouble. I didn't see it on Amazon either. I guess they've done away with their Classical search where you type in the various info ie. conductor/composer/label etc

Also the Universal website was on an insert inside the CD and that page wasn't working earlier.
    Last edited by Mr Peabody; 08-12-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Vivaldi was clearly a genius and aside from perhaps Mozart....one of the greatest of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Yes, I have it. Looking closer at the back, the album is on Deutsche Gramaphone, a division of Universal Classics. It also says Archiv production. If you can't find it on Amazon try www.universalclassics.com. The number above the bar code is: B0006504-02. I hope that's the right catalog number, if not, tell me where to look. I would have thought maybe a search for Andrea Marcon, conductor, or Venice Baroque Orchestra would have brought it up.

I bought mine locally from Webster Records 314-961-4656.

Let me know if you find it or have any more trouble. I didn't see it on Amazon either. I guess they've done away with their Classical search where you type in the various info ie. conductor/composer/label etc

Also the Universal website was on an insert inside the CD and that page wasn't working earlier.

Thanks. Found in on www.towerrecords.com, they have much better search parameters.

Thread Information