Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Forum Regular nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,964

    New Raveonettes anybody?


    The Raveonettes: Raven in the Grave

    I'm a long time fan of this band and this record continues their form of staying true enough to their sound to be instantly recognizable yet still doing something slightly different on each record. Compared to the last one, this is a much less rhythmic affair and instead trades heavily in echoey atmospherics. I think the Sune Rose Wagner is criminally overlooked as a guitar player and this album again presents plenty of examples of what he does so well. I admit when I first heard these guys I thought they were fun but little more than a Jesus & Mary Chain copycat, but I think they have long surpassed one-trick-pony status and continue to put out strong records. Another winner in my book.

    Also...is anyone not in love with Sharin Foo?

  2. #2
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    I always preferred...

    ....Goobers over Raisinettes, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  3. #3
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    Also...is anyone not in love with Sharin Foo?
    How could one not be? She's rather Uma-esque...

    I really liked Lust, Lust, Lust so I'll probably grab the new one when time permits.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  4. #4
    Forum Regular nobody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,964



    Going to go see them in a small club in a couple weeks...will need to make sure I wear a shirt I don't mind getting drool all over.

  5. #5
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Men are such pigs...

    Quote Originally Posted by nobody



    Going to go see them in a small club in a couple weeks...will need to make sure I wear a shirt I don't mind getting drool all over.
    ...and I can oink with the best of them.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  6. #6
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Gee, I though I'd get a groan at least for that one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swish
    ....Goobers over Raisinettes, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
    Am I the only one who remembered that jingle (Goobers and Raisinettes...)? Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  7. #7
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    6,852
    It's a matter of conditioning. You're even less witty than that on a fairly consistent basis and we're all used to it.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  8. #8
    Rocket Surgeon Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,918

    Hey! I'm among the funniest people on the planet!

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    It's a matter of conditioning. You're even less witty than that on a fairly consistent basis and we're all used to it.
    Well, maybe only mildly amusing, but I resemble your comments!

    Go Flyers
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

    If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

  9. #9
    Rae
    Rae is offline
    a golden ball of light Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    894
    EDIT: Meant to reply to a different thread. My feelings about the Raveonettes are neutral.

    ~Rae

  10. #10
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody



    Going to go see them in a small club in a couple weeks...will need to make sure I wear a shirt I don't mind getting drool all over.
    Hmmm maybe a change of underwear too?

  11. #11
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Yeah, I've been digging that band since their first album though I don't have this one yet, but now that you mention it, I probably will by the end of the day, so thank you.

    Most of my time has been with The Boxer Rebellion's "The Cold Still". I should have overplayed that by now but somehow I keep on listening.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  12. #12
    Rae
    Rae is offline
    a golden ball of light Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    894
    Hey Jim, did you catch that odd Drew Barrymore/Justin Long flick from last year, Going the Distance? It had a few moments that elevated it above the average romantic comedy but overall I don't think I could recommend it as a film... but anyway, really prominently featured the Boxer Rebellion, even as a crucial part of a plot twist near the end of the movie.

    ~Rae

  13. #13
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Hey Jim, did you catch that odd Drew Barrymore/Justin Long flick from last year, Going the Distance? It had a few moments that elevated it above the average romantic comedy but overall I don't think I could recommend it as a film... but anyway, really prominently featured the Boxer Rebellion, even as a crucial part of a plot twist near the end of the movie.

    ~Rae
    Romantic comedy? Not unless it was a baseball themed one : )

    The new Boxer Rebellion disc is exactly what the last Interpol disc should have been like. Post Punk junkies that dig Bloc Party and The Editors et. al. would probably really like this disc.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  14. #14
    42 Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West of the fields, long gone
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Romantic comedy? Not unless it was a baseball themed one : )

    The new Boxer Rebellion disc is exactly what the last Interpol disc should have been like. Post Punk junkies that dig Bloc Party and The Editors et. al. would probably really like this disc.

    jc
    Union was my Album of the Year in 2009. And that was one of the better music years in recent memory.

    I have The Cold Still, but haven't had a chance to play it much yet. We just got back from a long trip. I'll try to catch up with it this week.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

  15. #15
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    Union was my Album of the Year in 2009. And that was one of the better music years in recent memory.

    I have The Cold Still, but haven't had a chance to play it much yet. We just got back from a long trip. I'll try to catch up with it this week.
    You will love it, it's pretty much amazing.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •