Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New and Kind of New Releases!

These are the ones I'm waiting for! Anybody heard any buzz about good new music? Anything new you're going to run out and buy!

New:

The Be Good Tanyas - Hey Love!

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Boz Scaggs - Remastered Hits

Recent:

Amy Millan - Honey From the Tombs

Katie Melua - Piece by Piece

It appears Katie has been around for a long time. Only song I've heard from her is Nine Million Bicycles and I love it!

Bob Dylan's new one? Any comments?

Anyone heard of the Guillemots?

The Crane Wife = good. If you liked their other albums you'll want this too. If you're not a fan already this won't make you one. Got flac? Download my little 2006 YEC preview in the Cat Power thread to get a taste (and just try to tell me that song doesn't bring R.E.M. to mind).
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    The Crane Wife = good. If you liked their other albums you'll want this too. If you're not a fan already this won't make you one. Got flac? Download my little 2006 YEC preview in the Cat Power thread to get a taste (and just try to tell me that song doesn't bring R.E.M. to mind).
    Yeah, I saw you had a Decemerist song on your download, Sloshie. Is that album even released yet? And yes, I am already a fan of the band.

I just switched over to an iMac at home and I'm still figuring out the finer points, like trying to type an apostrophe, but as soon as I figure out how it works, I'll download your EP. Thanks!

Snowie

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny

It appears Katie has been around for a long time. Only song I've heard from her is Nine Million Bicycles and I love it!
    I'm not a huge fan of hers but my Hubby is. We have Piece by Piece and the CD before that one. Of the two, I prefer Piece by Piece. If you like Nine Million Bicycles, you'll likely enjoy the whole disk.

42 Regular
    There are a couple of concert DVDs I'm looking forward to...

1. Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere... was recorded live in Chicago last year, during the Deadwing tour. This one comes out on Tuesday, but it's apparently available now through their web site.

2. My Morning Jacket - Okonos is coming out later in the month (Halloween?). Could be very interesting, indeed.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Hey, long time, no Snowbuns. Hope all's well in the big country. September was a very big month for me, even if I did slack for most of the year ...

Woven Hand - Mosaic (sinister, dark, passionate and spiritual, blending the southern gothic Americana sound of Nick Cave with the darkness of Joy Division and the medieval folk sound of Dead Can Dance, album of the year so far for me)

Lilium - Short Stories (CD/DVD-A, love love love this one, kind of an Americana tinged version that 4AD house band, This Mortal Coil, with some amazing guest vocals, including the sultry voice of Kal Cahoone, and great musicianship all around, stunning work, even with the slight quibble that it's only presented in 16-bit/48KHz resolution 5.1 DTS/Dolby and stereo LPCM)

The High Violets - To Where You Are (some cool and dreamy 2006 shoegazing riding on the vocals of Kaitlyn ni Donovan and the guitars of Clint Sargent, rising up from the ashes of the great Bella Low, a cool band that I only recently discovered through the generosity of this place)

Woven Hand - Blush Music (the only one of the 4 Wovenhand discs I'm missing, a cinematic reworking of the great debut by one of my favorite artists, and part of a very noteworthy family, be it the original 16 Horsepower and their Denver posse, or the branches of Lilium and Wovenhand)

Sparklehorse - Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain (a favorite ever since hearing those crazily distorted vocals and eerie music and fragmented lyric images that open the debut LP on "Homecoming Queen" back in '95, left me totally mesmerized, each album a new adventure, hard to believe he's been a major label artist from the start)

Carla Bozulich - Evangelista (that crazy lady from the Geraldine Fibbers connects with those psycho-ambient space shifters from Godspeed You Black Emperor, A Silver Mt. Zion, Gowns, Black Ox Orkestar and Mae-****heir for a harrowing adventure in the darkness, lost somewhere between the earth and my home, a catharsis of howls and drones, broken beauty)

TV on the Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain (I know, grab a hold and jump up on the bandwagon, but I did really like the debut too, so it's not like I'm blindly following the hype machine, is it? )

And the latest soon to be released from Califone, Roots & Crowns, and Nina Nastasia, On Leaving. Think I'm probably done for this year, although I do wanna hear the new Yo La Tengo, and maybe at least one of those latest drops from Jason Molina, aka Songs:Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co., and the new Wayne Robbins & the Hellsayers, if it ever gets out, yeah, that'll be an auto buy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi
    There are a couple of concert DVDs I'm looking forward to...

1. Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere... was recorded live in Chicago last year, during the Deadwing tour. This one comes out on Tuesday, but it's apparently available now through their web site.

2. My Morning Jacket - Okonos is coming out later in the month (Halloween?). Could be very interesting, indeed.
    Those do look good. I wonder if there'll be a CD version of that PT release? Is there a track list anywhere?

Anything new you're going to run out and buy!
    I'm thinking of getting:

the new one from The Killers - Sam's Town

A new prog super group offering: The Frost - Milliontown (supposed to be similar to KINO)

also the new Wolverine: Still

I'm also on the look out for some older, remastered Chet Atkins albums
    Last edited by 3-LockBox; 10-06-2006 at 02:07 PM.

I'm holding out no hope for the Killers after enjoying the first so darn much. The boot I grabbed of a German broadcast showcases some of the dead new songs the Killers creamated.

I'll jump on Davey's Woovenhand bandwagon if there's still room. I can't get enough of this album. I liked it so much that I burned a copy for the couple at the local record store since I know that this album isn't going to get any attention unless Davey drums it up himself. Part of the "problem" is that it is a religeous disc by nature and I wouldn't be surprised to eventually find it in a Christian music store. It wasn't however at Mardel's. I know, I looked for it there first. For the coolest here I don't think it's gonna be a problem but in several music hotbed forums it would be dismissed out of hand, maybe for fear that they might burst into flames soon into track 1 (see the largely anti-Christian Obner board). This is an awesome disc, thanks for turning me onto this one Davey.

I'm really digging the new Dear's CD too. Very Smithesque in many parts and in my book that's always a good thing. Might be too accessible for some to find worthy of crtical acclaim. I dunno about that, I just dig the toons.

The new Pete Yorn disc has some great tracks as well. Rick holds the honor of turning me onto Pete with a comp of his most stellar tracks. When he's hot, he's on fire, when he's not, it's only smoldering. This one seems to have a familiar mix of both so far. Not definite yet as Wovenhand has been preoccupying a great deal of my time.

Also I'd be remiss not too but in a plug for The Grates first effort. I think there's just a minimal hype machine on this but it's got some great garagey energy after you suffer through the first "creative" intro cut. My kids were both dismayed at how bad that track is and it didn't help them warm up to the rest that followed. But what the heck, they're kids. What do they know?

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I need to order that Woven Hand. There's no place locally to find music like that (or anything else I would buy). Tough sledding for new music down here.

The new Jeffrey Foucault release, Ghost Repeater, is the best thing I've heard in a while, but I doubt anyone here would care for it ( except mebbe Dave918, and he probably already has it).
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Woven Hand - Mosaic (sinister, dark, passionate and spiritual, blending the southern gothic Americana sound of Nick Cave with the darkness of Joy Division and the medieval folk sound of Dead Can Dance, album of the year so far for me)
    Sounds very Doors-ish to me, very moody (I've only heard Mosaic though)

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Hey Snowb, wuz just thinking about you. Go look at that video thread I started, I think you'll like that first one.

Been listening to a lot of Pandora, myself, lately, so I'm a little "out of it" in terms of new releases, but I've been stacking up a large wishlist because of them. I posted links (I think -- let me know if I didn't and I will) in there, if you want to hear what I've been listening to lately.

I'll second that Killers (retro indie) disk. I also want the Dears' (britpop) new one. Also, the Apop B (Apoptygma Berzerk, synthpop/EBM/industrial band) release, You and Me Against the World finally came out domestically. The self-titled Shape of Despair came out domestically as well, but I'll be shotputted if I can find a copy -- just like last time, with Illusion's Play. Venetian Snares (glitch), but he puts out one every several months, so I'll probably get it just about when he's finished up the next one.

John Mauceri (conductor?) has recently released a recording of Danny Elfman's first concert piece (it'll probably still be closer to his soundtrack work than his Oingo Boingo work). Serenada Schizophrana.

Need to get the Tori Amos box, Keith Jarrett's Carnegie Hall disk, and Velvet Acid Christ took a break from rereleasing old stuff under their Between the Eyes series to release a new recording, Lust for Blood. Michael Brook (ambient guitarist) has released a new soundtrack and studio recording.

Joseph Arthur (folk rock) has a new one that I will probably get around to getting. And finally, I need to pick up that Unexpect (spastic black metal) album.

Actually, I'm far beyond "new" releases and even "kind of new" releases and well into "recent" releases territory at this point.

Other than that, I'm pretty much caught up. But I still am going back and getting older stuff -- been trying to catch up on that Miles Davis boxset series, for example. And I have on my wishlist some Mahler and some Prokofiev. Don't know why, but I just love that stuff. Never get tired of it. I find I listen to well over 50% instrumental music -- jazz, classical, and ambient electronica -- so I've been devoting myself to that kind of music more, from a purchasing standpoint as well (which basically means I've been buying and listening to pop/rock less).

And don't even get me started on CDBaby.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Sounds very Doors-ish to me, very moody (I've only heard Mosaic though)
    Yeah, some Jim Morrison in there, not so sure about the other guys. Does have some organ though. Nice review that I might have posted here before from Lost At Sea, where the author gives a nod to Morrison ...

Without that solid foundation, the "double-minded man" of the menacing "Elktooth," one of the most harrowing songs Edwards has ever written, falls prey to madness and violent fantasies. Clutching a cross in one hand and a Bible in the other, Edwards, his deep voice channeling both Cotton Mather and Jim Morrison, immerses himself in the character's disturbed psychosis to the point where reality and fiction start to blur. His performance is chilling, as is the unsettling atmosphere of brooding organ, rattling bells and chimes and stormy drums that makes "Elktooth" so tense and uncomfortable to sit through.

http://www.lostatsea.net/review.phtm...744f8781abcaad

Forum Regular
    Evenin', Elton John, The Captain and The Kid, He's reinvented himself so many times, he took a time machine back to the early 70's, Davey Jonestone, Nigel Olson for God sakes!!!

and of course Bernie!!!

I have not played any new music back to back 3 times in row in years!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

John Mauceri (conductor?) has recently released a recording of Danny Elfman's first concert piece (it'll probably still be closer to his soundtrack work than his Oingo Boingo work). Serenada Schizophrana.
    I saw that this was out. What do you think of it?

For me, I also have the Grates, plus the Kooks, and ESG.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I'll jump on Davey's Woovenhand bandwagon if there's still room. I can't get enough of this album.
    Don't mean to busy your balls there Jimbo, but Woovenhand? Sure you're on the right bandwagon? Hehehe, cool story about the local record shop. I did try to turn our old buddy unleasHell onto this one, but not sure how successful I was. Seemed like that dark sound would be down his karma path, but maybe not. Gave a copy of this and that Lilium disc to a friend recently but haven't heard back yet. Hard to predict when something is so powerful. Apparently turns a lot of people off. Just the opposite with me when it comes to that 16 Horsepower "Folklore", or any of the Woven Hand albums, but especially this one. Very compelling. I was hoping the latest Scott Walker album would be more like this, but it's just too cold and distant for me. Scary, to be sure, but just not something I connect with. "Mosaic" though is like good cinema, it's an experience, an adventure, so tangible, so passionate, so spiritual. And that coming from someone who isn't a religious person. On vinyl too at Sounds Familyre Records in the USA, or Glitterhouse in the EU. There, did my part

Don't mean to busy your balls there Jimbo, but Woovenhand?
    I type too fast... occasionally : ) X-tra "o" not withstanding, my copy clearly says "Wovenhand" on the cover. Maybe I should start my only little band wagon now that gas has come down a bit. Being the newb on this front, however, I will of course defer to your judgement on the matter. It's just a darn good album that will be get ignored. The perfect title for this one would be "Ancient Melodies Of The Future". Too bad it wasn't available. I guess Mosaic covers it sufficiently.

I worked my usual 8-3 on Friday and then had to go back and work 5-10 since I had to fire one bloke and had another quit with no notice (why is it never the same person?). Didn't give me much time to spend in front of the PC and visit with what I'm hoping turns out to be a lovely thread. Going to spend some time checking out some of the other recs on Sunday. Hopefully there's another gem or two buried in here at some point. Personally I think that the Dears are either unexplored yet or vastly under rated this time around. Not sure which.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    I type too fast... occasionally : ) X-tra "o" not withstanding, my copy clearly says "Wovenhand" on the cover.
    Yeah, I was just kidding you about the two o's since I call them both Woven Hand and Wovenhand as you can see in my previous post ...

Woven Hand - Blush Music (the only one of the 4 Wovenhand discs I'm missing, a cinematic reworking of the great debut by one of my favorite artists, and part of a very noteworthy family, be it the original 16 Horsepower and their Denver posse, or the branches of Lilium and Wovenhand)
    But never Woovenhand yet

I don't own it, but thought the first Dears disc was pretty nice. Dark, but maybe just not quite special enough to pull the trigger, can't remember now. Aren't they from Canada? Sound very British. Know nothing of this new one. Which is best?

These are the ones I'm waiting for! Anybody heard any buzz about good new music? Anything new you're going to run out and buy!

New:

The Be Good Tanyas - Hey Love!

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Boz Scaggs - Remastered Hits

Recent:

Amy Millan - Honey From the Tombs

Bob Dylan's new one? Any comments?

Anyone heard of the Guillemots?

Hi Snowie,

Since noone has responded to your question about Dylan's new effort "Modern Times", I thought I'd pass along a few thoughts. Personally, I believe it is a masterpiece. Not the masterpiece of all time, nor the best effort by Dylan but it is so good it's worth purchasing IMHO. The writing is first rate, and so is the music. It took about 4 spins, with the material growing on me with each additional listen. My suggestion is to buy it and to not judge it immediately. Give it several spins with attentive listening (rather than background music). It might surprise you.

Here are a few more new CD releases than I have been impressed with (only limited listening sessions so far): (1) Beck -- The Information; (2) Peter Frampton -- Fingerprints; (3) Sparklehorse's latest effort; (4) The Decemberists "The Crane Wife"; and as far as vinyl goes: (1) Mission of Burma's latest.

Hope all is well on the Canadian front.

Ag
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Yeah, I was just kidding you about the two o's since I call them both Woven Hand and Wovenhand as you can see in my previous post ...

But never Woovenhand yet

I don't own it, but thought the first Dears disc was pretty nice. Dark, but maybe just not quite special enough to pull the trigger, can't remember now. Aren't they from Canada? Sound very British. Know nothing of this new one. Which is best?
    Yeah, they kind of have a BSS thing going on. Both are good, critics are going to like No Cities Left a lot more than Gang Of Losers. But why let someone else decide which is better when it's so ez to get a chance to hear them both?

jc

Don't mean to busy your balls there Jimbo
    Since we're bringing up typos...I sincerely hope you meant 'bust' and not 'busy'...two completely different things...totally. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

I can't believe no one called you on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Don't mean to busy your balls there Jimbo
    Since we're bringing up typos...I sincerely hope you meant 'bust' and not 'busy'...two completely different things...totally. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

I can't believe no one called you on this one...
    Hmm, short memory, or short attention span, or short something

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...752#post128752

OMG, bookmarked?

I was kind of hoping that that particular episode would fade away and become something of RR legend with nobody remembering if it really happened or not. Guess I need to wait a few more years for that to happen now. Thanks for trying 3lock.

I will mention once again that "y" and "t" are side by side on the keyboard : )

Regards,
    jc

Hmm, short memory, or short attention span, or short something

http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...752#post128752
    Ya got me!

I guess I did forget that one...

I need to make a mental note...

JC=busy balls
    JC=busy balls
    JC=busy balls

Hey, long time, no Snowbuns. Hope all's well in the big country. September was a very big month for me, even if I did slack for most of the year ...

Sparklehorse - Dreamt For Light Years In The Belly Of A Mountain (a favorite ever since hearing those crazily distorted vocals and eerie music and fragmented lyric images that open the debut LP on "Homecoming Queen" back in '95, left me totally mesmerized, each album a new adventure, hard to believe he's been a major label artist from the start)
    Hi Davey!

There's a new Sparklehorse??? Or is that an older release?

Snowie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information