Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    I haven't posted in ages, and with just a few words in each response, I can get it up and feel really manly as well without resorting to those blue jelly beans.
    Do those blue jelly beans work?

Apparently not...

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Do those blue jelly beans work?

Look at my post count, it's only 25 more than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BradH
    That's cool. At what point did KNTU go to the all jazz format?

It really was a lot of fun. The all-jazz format began in 1981...I graduated 4 years prior to its introduction.
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Hmmm, betcha spun some of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. What else? Maybe Hotel California? Saturday Night Fever? Hehehe, did Mellencamp have anything new then? How freaky did you get back then? 1977 was a great music year for me, one of my favorites. Lots of discoveries and albums I'm still very fond of. Almost as wide open as the late 60s, in retrospect, with Costello and Marley and Eno and Mink DeVille and the Heads and Peter Gabriel and Pink Floyd and Cheap Trick and Bowie and on and on and ...

1976/77 were great years for music. That made for a fun time spinning those black discs over the radio...Plus the 1969 - 1975 time period wasn't bad for music either so we played quite a bit from those years.

Believe it or not, Rumours, Hotel California, and SNF were never spun by me. Our listening audience would have tuned their radios from KNTU to the "ZOO" (KZEW) if I had. So, here are just a few of the groups that I remember playing (and usually played the LP cuts that were not being played on other radio stations):

Boz Scaggs (local Dallasite) -- Heavy rotation: "Slow Dancer" & "Silk Degrees"
    Steve Miller
    Thin Lizzy
    Bob Dylan
    Joni Mitchell
    Elvis Costello
    Jackson Browne
    Little Feat
    Ry Cooder
    Nils Lofgren
    Joan Armatrading
    Emmylou Harris
    Foghat
    Clapton
    Todd Rundgren
    Nazz
    Graham Parker
    Talking Heads
    Bob Marley
    Marvin Gaye
    Doors
    Queen
    Van Morrison -- Astral Weeks!
    Jimi Hendrix
    Paul McCartney & Wings -- songs like "Beware My Love" NOT "Silly Love Songs"
    Heart
    Neil Young
    Janis Joplin
    Blue Oyster Cult
    ACDC
    Rolling Stones
    Beatles
    George Harrison
    John Lennon
    The Troggs
    Steely Dan
    Stevie Wonder
    Lou Reed
    Nazareth
    JJ Cale
    David Bowie
    Pink Floyd
    Bill Withers
    The Zombies
    George Benson
    And, of course, The One O'Clock Lab Band, from NTSU!

A wonderful walk down memory lane...
    Ag
    "And the three gifts of moving on are forgiveness, hope, and the great beyond, After that perhaps peace can come, Peace will come." -- Mary Chapin Carpenter (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Girl
    A wonderful walk down memory lane...
    Ag
    Wow, that's a heckuva nice playlist Mary! A lot of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Girl
    Our listening audience would have tuned their radios from KNTU to the "ZOO" (KZEW) if I had.
    I was thinking of the ZOO the other day. I was listening to a bootleg of Procol Harum in 1975 at some studio hear in Dallas broadcast live over KZEW. Q102 rarely did stuff like that - too corporate, too Van Halen. Although Redbeard did killer interviews, I have to admit. (Got a bunch of those on disc, too.)

The college station in Norman, OK went all jazz in 1982 about the same time as KNTU. They got swallowed by the jazz/NPR format and it killed all that new wave & ska they were playing all day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information