Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pixies

9 50.00%
  • Nirvana

9 50.00%

March Music Madness: Pixies vs. Nirvana

Just got back from a few days away.

Update: REM & Modest Mouse move on to the final four (I'm putting an end to these matches before someone goes and ties them up :

REM (8) beats Beach Boys (7)

and

Modest Mouse (5) edges Doves (4)

Nirvana

I know Nirvana owes a lot of their sound to the Pixies, but I only heard my first Pixies album about a year ago, where as I lived in Washington State from '88 thru '93. Hard not to have Nirvana be a part of your musical experience there & then.

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Cool

Have a hard time seeing Nirvana winning this one. It's almost like a master v. apprentice matchup here.

The Pixies released 5 strong recordings, all in succession, while Nirvana (IMO) had only one studio album that does justice to their sound. Then there's Unplugged, which remains a masterful live recording. Still not enough to dethrone Black Francis & Co., however.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Yeah, I guess this is kind of a tough match up for some, but I've been listening lots and lots to the Pixies lately, especially Surfer Rosa and Doolittle, so it's not much of a contest for me. At least not right now. Pixies are just so damn much fun! And they're still around. And they were a blast to see on TV recently. And hopefully they might even stay together long enough to record a few new songs.

hey
    been trying to meet you
    hey
    must be a devil between us
    or whores in my head
    whores at my door
    whores in my bed
    but hey
    where
    have you
    been if you go i will surely die
    we're chained

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Interesting. I agree with the master v. apprentice analogy stated earlier. I was hit in the face with Nirvana, but had to discover the Pixies (from Cobain comments, ironically). During the early to mid nineties it was Nirvana, but since then, I've listened to the Pixies more often and I'm still listenin' - Doolittle, Bossa Nova, Surfer Rosa. I haven't pulled out a Nirvana record in a while. I think I'm gonna go with my present preference.

I've long thought the master/apprentice analogy was incomplete. As in, in this case, to my ears, the accomplishments of the apprentice ended up far outshining the accomplishments of the alleged master. I've seen people give waaaaayy too much credit to the Pixies with regard to Nirvana, but that's not going to affect anyone's preference. Mine's for Nirvana's admittedly limited catalog.

I don't like others.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    I've long thought the master/apprentice analogy was incomplete. As in, in this case, to my ears, the accomplishments of the apprentice ended up far outshining the accomplishments of the alleged master. I've seen people give waaaaayy too much credit to the Pixies with regard to Nirvana, but that's not going to affect anyone's preference. Mine's for Nirvana's admittedly limited catalog.
    now that you mention it, I've read that either Debaser or Gouge Away (can't remember which - but to my ear it's Gouge Away) was the inspiration for Teen Spirit and that's about it.

Thread Information