Interesting New Hip Hop Anybody...

Just wanted to post something real quick about Dizzee Rascal, a new rapper from England. I just picked up his Boy in Da Corner this weekend. I've listened to a fair amount of hip hop, but these days it seems to me that original sounding acts are few and far between. You occasionally get an OutKast or the like, or a new MC with a new flow, but tons of sound-a-like crap coming out these days. (though to be honest, I do miss out on a lot that comes out in the genre these days, so I'm not exactly the best judge)

Still, every once in a while, something comes up out of the murk that really sounds different. Maybe it's a cultural thing, different slang, different accent, different musical influences, whatever. Anyhow, this disc sounds like something new and interesting. Minimalist beats on most tunes, sharp stuttering electronic sounds mixed in with some really booming bass notes. Sparodic flow to his rap, maybe an accent thing. I notice the more I listen, the better it seems to flow. Rockers, listen for a truly surprising sample coming from a black Englishman. I'd name names here, but it may ruin the surprise if anyone does intend to listen to it.

I don't know how many folks here would be interested in this sort of thing, but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes hip hop, but gets bored with standard fare and wants to hear something a bit different. Anybody else listened to this yet?

Forum Regular

Hip hop is ok with me sometimes

I've heard a few things from Dizzee (wasn't he a Mercury music prize nominee/winner) recently and it didn't do much for me. But I guess it's best to defer judgement until I've heard the album, radio friendly tracks aren't always the best way to guage and artist. Take the Outkast album I keep thinking would I like it but the samples I've heard leave me with mixed feelings.

One newish artist verging on the hip hop jazz side of things though is Amy Winehouse which I don't think I've seen people mention much before. Imagine Billie Holiday meets hip hop and you get the picture. The album is called 'Frank' and it came out last year but it's pretty solid throughout.

Cheers
    Mike

That Amy Winehouse sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it.

Surprised you're luke warm on the OutKast, just 'cause it seems like so many people like it. I saw on some post you mentioned that you really liked the latest Black Eyed Peas. There's another one I wanna check out. I really liked the first single off it, but the second one I was really turned off by. Eventually, I'll have to give it a shot.

I'm interested, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nobody
    I don't know how many folks here would be interested in this sort of thing, but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes hip hop, but gets bored with standard fare and wants to hear something a bit different. Anybody else listened to this yet?
    Like you, my hip-hop exposure is somewhat limited, so hearing a good rec is appreciated. I've heard the Black Eyed Peas (latest one I think) and remember liking it. Re Outkast; I've said before and I'll say again, the latest one is my least favorite of the 3 I've heard. "Southernplaya..." and "Stankonia" are uniformly excellent (provided you're not offended by lyrics) but if you like hip-hop I guess you'd handle it OK.

Forum Regular
    That Amy Winehouse sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it.

Surprised you're luke warm on the OutKast, just 'cause it seems like so many people like it. I saw on some post you mentioned that you really liked the latest Black Eyed Peas. There's another one I wanna check out. I really liked the first single off it, but the second one I was really turned off by. Eventually, I'll have to give it a shot.
    I think you will like the Amy Winehouse, as for the Black EP's it's very commercial and listenable.

I'll e-mail you if you want to investigate further

Cheers
    Mike

Forum Regular

Smile How about Sarai?

I love watching her "rap"... it's like watching a train wreck:

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2473784

That link scared me.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Anti-Pop Consortium

Anti-Pop Consortium are the best alternative hip-hop i've heard in a long time - check them out - especially Ping Pong!

Forum Regular

Yeah, it's awful.

bleah... 5 character minimum??

That link scared me.

JSE
    Kindof like Tiffany (early eighties) gone rap!

JSE

Forum Regular

Also from the UK

I thought the most innovative "rap" cd last year was from the The Streets (aka Mike Skinner) - Original Pirate Material - It's terrific.

Gresh

Quote Originally Posted by Gresh
    I thought the most innovative "rap" cd last year was from the The Streets (aka Mike Skinner) - Original Pirate Material - It's terrific.

Gresh
    If you'd been a member of this board in 2002 you'd have heard about it when it was released in that same year. Membership has its privileges! Been a while since I consumed that one, might be time to take it out of the case again.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Thread Information