Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I honestly don't remember. It's considered seminal amongst NWW fans, I remember that's why I got it, and remember enjoying it, but I'm not sure I would want to pay US$40 for it...I'll see if I can find my copy.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Psapp, The Only Thing I Ever Wanted

Indiepoptronica in the vein of Morr Music with femme vox. There's something singer/songwriter about it that I am thoroughly enjoying, despite its obviously manufactured arrangements. (Yes, I know, you'd expect me to enjoy obviously manufactured arrangements -- as well you should, and I do, even in this case -- it's just that I think the songwriting is stronger than it would suggest. It sounds like it was written, rather than just having lyrics sung on top of loops, which is what the production reminds me of.)

The videos are worth seeking out online (they have them on their home page), if you're not on dialup.

RIYL: Lali Puna, Ms. John Soda
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Okay, this one is a little out of character for me:

Under the Influence of Giants

It starts off with the perfect mix of groove fun alt and indie in the Franz Ferdinand vein, but then takes a few detours through Bee Gees/Alan Parsons Project ballads territory. I been digging it, but I know a lot of people are going to say, "hey, cut it in half, and it's a good EP".

So, to those people, I give you this week's bonus LOTW:

Plumb, Chaotic Resolve

Now this is more typically what all y'all picture me listening to: heavily produced hard pop with female vocals and a lot of darkness and sarcasm. Lots of synths, too. So yeah, I dig this. Muchos.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled slumber.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

My Listen Of The Week this last week was this (alternate less-broadbandy link). Just listen to it before you ask what it is, I'll divulge later (next week). It's more fun if you don't know what it is. Let me know if/when you recognize it, but don't state it until everyone has had a chance to listen to it without spoilers.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    My Listen Of The Week this last week was this (alternate less-broadbandy link). Just listen to it before you ask what it is, I'll divulge later (next week). It's more fun if you don't know what it is. Let me know if/when you recognize it, but don't state it until everyone has had a chance to listen to it without spoilers.
    My brain is having much difficulty comprehending this. And for some reason...I feel a little sad.

Click on the first link. What do you get? It should be a playlist (I use winamp, myself), which is just a californication of four mp3 files:

http://audio.cdbaby.com/v/votds-02.mp3
    http://audio.cdbaby.com/v/votds-04.mp3
    http://audio.cdbaby.com/v/votds-06.mp3
    http://audio.cdbaby.com/v/votds-07.mp3

Alternately:

http://audio.cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/v/o/votds-02.mp3
    http://audio.cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/v/o/votds-04.mp3
    http://audio.cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/v/o/votds-06.mp3
    http://audio.cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/v/o/votds-07.mp3

Listen, feel free to react, but don't identify (don't spoil the surprise).

Oh, and for you -- I was listening to some rocking good prog metal with clean vocals the other day -- Wolverine? Have you heard of them? Somewhere along the way, they came out with a third album, and I missed it: Still -- recommended. I really liked Window Purpose, and didn't enjoy Cold Light of Monday as much. Here is their web page with samples. RIYL Fates Warning, Dream Theater, et al.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

wolverines ripped my flesh

Thanks for rec on that Wolverine, they were praising it at the Dutch Progressive Rock Page, but I value your opinion more. Shades of the heavier side of Riverside ?

Also, Amazon's got it. Here's a link to the dutch review :
    http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200640.php

Quote Originally Posted by richmon
    Shades of the heavier side of Riverside ?
    Yeah, I hear a little bit of Riverside, too.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Album Leaf, Into the Blue Again

There is definitely this whole "new instrumentalism" movement going on, and Album Leaf is one of the purveyors. That said, there is a song or two on here with lyrics, but they're non-intrusive enough that I can forgive him for that.

It's pretty mellow, definitely has that "recorded in the middle of nowhere so that there'd be nothing better to do than record" sound to it. And I love the organic feel of all the electric piano and such. Absolutely delicious on my Quad 12L's.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Click on the first link. What do you get?

Try it again later -- I was informed by CDBaby (yesterday, admittedly) that they were in the process of moving their server, and that sample downloads would be down for a while. They were hoping to have it back up by today, but...you know how that goes, "the best laid plans of mousy sysadmin" &c. Or something like that.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Wow, some really great stuff.....I checked out almost all of them and really dig a majority of the material. Thanks!

I have been listening to JOCELYN POOK's UNTOLD THINGS CD lately. Not sure why, but I just dig it.

Other people are still welcome to post their listens of the week.

LOTW was a metal album, Shape of Despair (their fourth album, lots of demos and stuff), not their best (I still like Angels of Distress and Shades of... the best).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Suspended
    Other people are still welcome to post their listens of the week.
    You and Swishy are so jealous of Bernd ya can't stand it

This is funner than reallity TV

I remain,
    Heywood
    aka He whom we don't mention

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Djahblomie
    I remain,
    Heywood
    aka He whom we don't mention
    That's because he's not worth mentioning.

Been listening to Delerium - a trance-beat type thing featuring two members of Front Line Assembly and female guest vocalists; its the latest one called Nuages Du Monde and I think I like it; with vocal styles that range from operetic to pop, its very smooth, but edgier than new age music.

GPS - Window To The Soul - former, but not original, members of Asia...its OK, much in the same vein as the last Asia album; competant AOR rock.

Ayreon - The Human Equation - better than Into The Electric Castle, or should I say, less wince inducing, but overall, meh...I was so taken by the two Universal Migrator albums that I just knew I'd love this project, but its been a let down since the innitial intro.

Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third - luscious symphonic rock and not at all as goth as the title might suggest; one of my faves so far this year.

Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstairs (reissue) - I only had a CD-R copy of this and I wasn't sure if I was concerned enough to own an actually copy, but then I noticed my CD-R had been scratched enough to cause skipping. I purchased the new reissue, the one with most of the drum loops replaced by their new fulltime drummer (Gavin Harrison); I like this one a lot better. There's some added guitar fill as well so this sounds like a proper PT album.

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves - I liked Z so much I found this one (an earlier effort) and I find it it a tad boring; oh its good for the frist half, but really drags its arse the rest of the disc.

Grizzly Bear - Yellow House - This one is supposed to be a sorta acoustic SMiLE or Pet Sounds, what with its layered production and etherial aestetic, but at times it reminds me of The Beatles' White Album with its earthy approach, and at times I hear just a tad bit of Pink Floyd's more pastoral offerings on Atom Heart Mother or Ummagumma. It is, and at times it isn't, innovative. I wouldn't say that they've reinvented the wheel here, but I do find it entertaining.

Stephane Grappelli - Compact Jazz - got this one from the library and I like this alot; this is what I think of when I think of jazz fiddle, not that wank Ponty with his theramin sounding electro-violin.

Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris - All The Road Running - A very good sounding CD, but nothing new as far as what we've come to expect from Knopfler; very easy going and folksy. Of course the draw here would be Harris, who like her Trio sisters, demonstrates her uncanny ability to harmonize with anyone and make them sound better. There are even passages that make me harken back (way back...way way back) to Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton (yeah, I said it). If you like either or both (Knopfler or Emmylou) and haven't burnt yourself out on Knopfler albums, this is a good get.

I also got a few classical CDs to listen to, including a version of Four Seasons; I ordered the Ozawa/Telarc CD from Amazon (used-$9.98) and what I received was one of those ridiculous Naturescapes Cds, you know, the kind you find in drugstores and supermarkets, repleat with waterfalls and tweety birds...I will get my money back.

BTW: Speaking of classical, I will admit to having a narrow mind when it comes to classical music, for example, I find Dmitry Shostakovich boring as hell, even though he was supposed to be an important Russian artist subversive to the Soviet ethos...yawn...

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Been listening to Delerium - a trance-beat type thing featuring two members of Front Line Assembly and female guest vocalists; its the latest one called Nuages Du Monde and I think I like it; with vocal styles that range from operetic to pop, its very smooth, but edgier than new age music.
    Are they both still there? I thought one of them quit.

That said, I was listening to some older Delerium the other day (the Spiritual Archives quartet of disks). I don't know, I think I'm done with the new Delerium. If you like this, you should check out Sleepthief. I didn't get it, but it was extremely reminiscent of the new Delerium from the samples I've heard.
    Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third - luscious symphonic rock and not at all as goth as the title might suggest; one of my faves so far this year.
    I really like this from the samples I heard, and will pick it up eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    That's because he's not worth mentioning.
    Hey, don't quote him, I have him on ignore for a reason!
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

One of the great things about this board is

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    You get to pick up on things which otherwise would pass you by. Prog isn't normally my thing although I guess I dabble here and there but this by Pure Reason Rev is a great find and an album of the year contender. Seems strange that living in the UK I have to come to a US based board to hear about a British band but I'm glad I have. Better still I picked it up via a US based supplier for a ridiculous $1:24. Hows that work beats me, maybe they dumped a load on the US and couldn't shift them.

Just been listening and watching a live show by these guys on their myspace website and they put on a fantastic show. The album is superb, go get it.

ps I'm with you on the Grizzly Bear it's ok but nothing special, some tracks ok kind of get you interested but then they descend into musical chaos, kind of like the Arcade Fire go folk.

Cheers
    Mike

Hey, don't quote him, I have him on ignore for a reason!
    I forgot about the ignore feature. Done. Thanks for the reminder.

It sounds like I need to check out that Pure Reason Revolution disk.

My LOTW is The Dears, Gang of Losers. I didn't like it at first, but it's definately growing on me. Some of the CD is kinda hum-drum IMO, but the song Whites Only Party makes up for it. This is one of the best songs that I've heard all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You get to pick up on things which otherwise would pass you by. Prog isn't normally my thing although I guess I dabble here and there but this by Pure Reason Rev is a great find and an album of the year contender. Seems strange that living in the UK I have to come to a US based board to hear about a British band but I'm glad I have. Better still I picked it up via a US based supplier for a ridiculous $1:24. Hows that work beats me, maybe they dumped a load on the US and couldn't shift them.

Just been listening and watching a live show by these guys on their myspace website and they put on a fantastic show. The album is superb, go get it.

ps I'm with you on the Grizzly Bear it's ok but nothing special, some tracks ok kind of get you interested but then they descend into musical chaos, kind of like the Arcade Fire go folk.

Cheers
    Mike
    Its why I come here (regardless of why anyone else does).

I'm a bit surprised that the PRR isn't getting more interest than it is, and yeah, I got mine for a ridiculous price as well. I have big expectations for these guys. But then again, there's Porky Tree, and well...

And I think the Grizzly Bear disc will be a good addition to my MP3 player, but it does make for a long listen as far as albums go. It reminds me of an artist (or artists) who is making an album for critical praise.

Went back to an old favourite for LOTW this week: Rob Dougan, Furious Angels

Orchestral music, technotic beats (and the occasional synthesizer), gravelly voice singing pop/rock songs -- pretty much like nothing else I've heard. But the fact that it's different isn't what sells me -- every song resonates to my very core. That, to me, is what makes for the best pop music: excellent songwriting. And he has that in spades.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

I've gotta praise the new Scissor Sisters as my LOTW. Ta Dah is just as eclectic as their first disk without any bad Pink Floyd covers that I have to skip. There are a couple of tracks on the disk that I can't listen to without thinking of Queen a la A Night At The Opera. Just that kind of quirky sound with some fun lyrics. This CD is beyond description for me. It's so eclectic in sound and style that I would have to review each song on its own merits. If you liked their first disk, I can almost guarantee that you'll like the second one.

Anyone got any listens this week? Mine is pretty hard -- I haven't been listening to "in your face" music so much (pop/rock), more classical and jazz.

That said, I've been completely grooving on the myriad of Miles Davis boxsets. The Complete Studio Recordings of the Quintet being the one that I'm completely groovin' out on these days.

That, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I've been listening to several different versions, but Anne-Sophie Mutter's on DVD-A is easily my favourite (out of the ones I've been listening to). I love the way it goes back and forth between extremely patient and slow (the two Allegro non molto movements, for example), to "air violin" ultra-intense.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Sure do!

Anyone got any listens this week? Mine is pretty hard -- I haven't been listening to "in your face" music so much (pop/rock), more classical and jazz.

That said, I've been completely grooving on the myriad of Miles Davis boxsets. The Complete Studio Recordings of the Quintet being the one that I'm completely groovin' out on these days.

That, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons. I've been listening to several different versions, but Anne-Sophie Mutter's on DVD-A is easily my favourite (out of the ones I've been listening to). I love the way it goes back and forth between extremely patient and slow (the two Allegro non molto movements, for example), to "air violin" ultra-intense.
    This week, a nice mixture of old and new

1) Double vinyl LP of Rare Earth Live. Who IS that blue-eyed soul singer, anyway? I found this in the used bin for $2. Out of print going for much more on Ebay. I hadn't heard this since about 1975. Sounds (slightly) dated but still pretty powerful.

2) Ornette Coleman - Sound Grammar. First new OC disc in bleepin' forever! Jazz quartet with 2 basses. The cat can still blow. For the "old", I also FINALLY found a vinyl version of his "Crisis" disc which for some reason I can't fathom has never been released by Impulse on CD. They've released quite a few relative obscurities but no OC. Must be some contractual thingy.

3) Multiple Nurse With Wounds - The Rat Tapes, Large Ladies With Cakes In The Oven, Soundpooling, Shipwreck Radio (3 volumes). These guys are still my reference for "Sound Sculptors". This is probably the most interesting group that I've discovered over the last 10 years.

4) Acid Mothers Temple - Electric Heavyland. For those who have always wondered what might emanate from a stage containing both the Boredoms and Black Sabbath. I'm sure there are one or two of you out there! Surely I'm not alone here!!!!
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

The Timeout Drawer, Nowonmai

This one is quickly going to the top of the heap. Too bad it's 2005, but I've only just discovered it. Bought it on a whim at Tower's Going Out Of Business Sale due to the description on the sticker.

Genre is what I've taken to calling "the new instrumentalism" -- Friends of Dean Martinez, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Tortoise, Album Leaf -- post-rocky instrumental music. Sweet guitar tones, Moog synthesizer, melodious music, long jamming freak outs with only slightly psychedelic overtones.

Listen for yourself: (long, legal) MP3 (direct from the artist's site)
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information