42 Regular

Lolla 2012 mini-reviews

Just a few quick thoughts on some of the bands I saw last weekend at Lollapalooza. I may also update the thread next week, as I’m flying out to San Francisco for a one-day visit to the Outside Lands Fest.

Acts are reviewed in the order in which I saw them.

First Aid Kit –Swedish sisters who sing beautiful folk-pop melodies with two-part harmonies and a little country twang. A nice, easygoing way to kick off the weekend. (Note: front row!)

Anamanaguchi – Bratty punk-pop with a Nintendo-style electronic twist. Sounds like the soundtrack to that Scott Pilgrim movie. Fun, but forgettable.

The War On Drugs – I like this band. They had some technical issues getting set up, and they had to tweak the settings a few times after they got started… but once they hit their stride, it was all engaging, mesmerizing guitar-rock with a singer-songwriter-era accent.

Metric – This was a fun set. Emily Haines, formerly of Broken Social Scene, is a dynamic performer (and a cutie-pie)… but there was a little more bouncy pop and not as much balls-out rock as I’d prefer. Still, a good time was had.

Die Antwoord – Part of the reason for going to a festival is to experience acts you’d normally not pay money to see. This utterly bizarre hip-hop duo from South Africa fits that description. And that’s the only description you’ll get because, well, goddamn.

Band of Skulls – I got up fairly close for this show, which was on a side-stage. This band plays tight, interesting blues-based rock with nice interplay between male and female lead vocals. Definitely worth seeing, and they tour a lot.

Passion Pit – The original plan was to head down to the south main stage to catch the last half of The Shins… but man, it was hot and that stage was a mile away. So I caught the last couple of songs from these guys on the north stage. Mistake. They suck.

Black Sabbath – Highlight of the weekend. They rocked with great force, and the crowd loved it. The lineup is 3 original members plus a ringer on drums, who is a freakin’ beast (I think it’s the guy from Faith No More). Anyway, they played all the songs I wanted to hear most, including a powerful “War Pigs”. Great stuff, and my last chance to see the real thing.

JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound – I got front-row, dead-center for the first act of day 2, a neo-soul showband in the James Brown vein. These guys are really good.

FIDLAR – California garage-punk. The name is an acronym for “F*** it dude, life’s a risk”. That sums it up aptly.

The Givers – Upbeat, indie pop-rock. Again with the male/female twin lead vocals. Difficult to describe their sound, but I rather liked their show.

(Halfway through day 2, they evacuated the park because of an approaching storm. I heard wrongly that they were NOT going to reopen the park, so I caught the train home. So I missed Franz Ferdinand and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I’m an idiot.)

Red Oblivion – The only notable thing is the smokin’ hot blond gal on lead guitar. Otherwise, ugh.

Hey Rosetta – A nice surprise. They sound like Andrew Bird meets the Cold War Kids… except it’s better than that sounds. I’m going to check out their album.

White Rabbits – Spoon meets Phoenix. I like these guys. So would many of you.

Dum Dum Girls – I’ll be honest here, I don’t really remember how they were. Just that they weren’t quite as fun as I’d expected.

The Gaslight Anthem – Straight-up bar rock. No more, no less… but these guys do it very well. They’re pros.

Florence & the Machine – I’m not really a fan, but the power of this live show is undeniable. The crowd was vast, overwhelmingly female, and unspeakably horny by the end of the set. Oh my.

Justice – My first-ever experience at a big-time, headlining techno set. Hey, we only live once. My plan had been to catch the opening, then walk the long mile to see Jack White. But a combination of factors* kept me on the north side, and I’m not sorry. True Fact: I had a full-fledged blast, and I don’t care who knows it.

*I was higher than Jesus.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

42 Regular
    Most of the pictures I took were awful. Here are a few that came out OK...

Facebook
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular
    Sounds like a fun festival..............thanks for sharing.

However, I truly cannot imagine a 63-year old & fu**ed-up Ozzy being fun to watch.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCylinder View Post
    Sounds like a fun festival..............thanks for sharing.

However, I truly cannot imagine a 63-year old & fu**ed-up Ozzy being fun to watch.
    He was twice as good as I'd hoped. Seriously.

And for a man who's dying of cancer, Tony Iommi was absolutely great.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular
    I saw them in 1971 when they were at their peak -- Ozzy was not good then...............so that's why I say, " I can't imagine...................

Iommi has always been very good..............I really like his CD, FUSED from 2005.
    old Denon
    older Bose
    new Velodyne sub
    new Sony 1080 LCD & BluRay
    Big, clean sound @ 800 watts

42 Regular
    Update: Saturday at Outside Lands festival in San Francisco. It was my first visit to OSL, and I was struck by how different the vibe is there. It's at Golden Gate Park, and it was shrouded in cool, misty fog all day long... a good 30 degrees F chillier than Lolla. And the people were all mellow as hell.

Tame Impala -- Garage-rock with a tasty neo-psychedelic flavor. Me likey.

Portugal. The Man -- Stupid band name, but fun and interesting group. It's indie-rock, but with more 'rock' than indie. Hard to describe, really... sounds like a half-dozen strong influences mixed randomly in a 10-lb. bag.

(Tried to see the Alabama Shakes, but the crowd there was too massive to get anywhere within a quarter-mile of the stage. Screw that. My daughter was up on the rail, and said they were outstanding.)

Explosions in the Sky -- Atmospheric, sometimes-soaring instrumental band. Hypnotic in a good way, like a good film soundtrack.

The Kills -- I'd seen these two play a couple of times before, but this was markedly different. Instead of just stripped-down blues/rock songs with one man, one woman and a drum machine, they had 4 percussionists on-stage and were clearly going for more of a performance-oriented show. Kinda cheesy for me, but others loved it.

Metallica -- Sonic fascism. I might have been up for this in a different time and place, but not this time. I hung for a while, then bolted for...

Sigur Ros -- Absolutely the opposite of Metallica in every way. It was pure art, pure emotion, in a surreal setting in a misty fog at night in the woods. A show I will never forget.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MidFi View Post
    Update: Saturday at Outside Lands festival in San Francisco. It was my first visit to OSL, and I was struck by how different the vibe is there. It's at Golden Gate Park, and it was shrouded in cool, misty fog all day long... a good 30 degrees F chillier than Lolla. And the people were all mellow as hell.

Tame Impala -- Garage-rock with a tasty neo-psychedelic flavor. Me likey.

Portugal. The Man -- Stupid band name, but fun and interesting group. It's indie-rock, but with more 'rock' than indie. Hard to describe, really... sounds like a half-dozen strong influences mixed randomly in a 10-lb. bag.

(Tried to see the Alabama Shakes, but the crowd there was too massive to get anywhere within a quarter-mile of the stage. Screw that. My daughter was up on the rail, and said they were outstanding.)

Explosions in the Sky -- Atmospheric, sometimes-soaring instrumental band. Hypnotic in a good way, like a good film soundtrack.

The Kills -- I'd seen these two play a couple of times before, but this was markedly different. Instead of just stripped-down blues/rock songs with one man, one woman and a drum machine, they had 4 percussionists on-stage and were clearly going for more of a performance-oriented show. Kinda cheesy for me, but others loved it.

Metallica -- Sonic fascism. I might have been up for this in a different time and place, but not this time. I hung for a while, then bolted for...

Sigur Ros -- Absolutely the opposite of Metallica in every way. It was pure art, pure emotion, in a surreal setting in a misty fog at night in the woods. A show I will never forget.

Did you miss Franz Ferdinand again? I guess there were multiple stages again like most of these festivals and that makes it hard to see everyone you want to. The only one I would have wanted to see for sure would have been Neil Young.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Did you miss Franz Ferdinand again?
    Unfortunately, I was only there for Saturday... had to get back to work. Mrs. MidFi reports that they were excellent yesterday, as was Jack White.

Here's a pic of me, the wife & daughter, and a friend of ours from SF (plus his teenage son).

Bruce Valentine's Photos | Facebook

Yes, my hair is an atrocity in that shot.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Unfortunately, I was only there for Saturday... had to get back to work. Mrs. MidFi reports that they were excellent yesterday, as was Jack White.

Here's a pic of me, the wife & daughter, and a friend of ours from SF (plus his teenage son).

Bruce Valentine's Photos | Facebook

Yes, my hair is an atrocity in that shot.
    Damn, that's an expensive trip for one day. Maybe you'll be able to catch it on TV like I can with Lollapalooza.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Damn, that's an expensive trip for one day.
    I'm wacky like that. Ask Forever Autumn!
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Good stuff

Just a few quick thoughts on some of the bands I saw last weekend at Lollapalooza. I may also update the thread next week, as I’m flying out to San Francisco for a one-day visit to the Outside Lands Fest.

Acts are reviewed in the order in which I saw them.

First Aid Kit –Swedish sisters who sing beautiful folk-pop melodies with two-part harmonies and a little country twang. A nice, easygoing way to kick off the weekend. (Note: front row!)

Anamanaguchi – Bratty punk-pop with a Nintendo-style electronic twist. Sounds like the soundtrack to that Scott Pilgrim movie. Fun, but forgettable.

The War On Drugs – I like this band. They had some technical issues getting set up, and they had to tweak the settings a few times after they got started… but once they hit their stride, it was all engaging, mesmerizing guitar-rock with a singer-songwriter-era accent.

Metric – This was a fun set. Emily Haines, formerly of Broken Social Scene, is a dynamic performer (and a cutie-pie)… but there was a little more bouncy pop and not as much balls-out rock as I’d prefer. Still, a good time was had.

Die Antwoord – Part of the reason for going to a festival is to experience acts you’d normally not pay money to see. This utterly bizarre hip-hop duo from South Africa fits that description. And that’s the only description you’ll get because, well, goddamn.

Band of Skulls – I got up fairly close for this show, which was on a side-stage. This band plays tight, interesting blues-based rock with nice interplay between male and female lead vocals. Definitely worth seeing, and they tour a lot.

Passion Pit – The original plan was to head down to the south main stage to catch the last half of The Shins… but man, it was hot and that stage was a mile away. So I caught the last couple of songs from these guys on the north stage. Mistake. They suck.

Black Sabbath – Highlight of the weekend. They rocked with great force, and the crowd loved it. The lineup is 3 original members plus a ringer on drums, who is a freakin’ beast (I think it’s the guy from Faith No More). Anyway, they played all the songs I wanted to hear most, including a powerful “War Pigs”. Great stuff, and my last chance to see the real thing.

JC Brooks & the Uptown Sound – I got front-row, dead-center for the first act of day 2, a neo-soul showband in the James Brown vein. These guys are really good.

FIDLAR – California garage-punk. The name is an acronym for “F*** it dude, life’s a risk”. That sums it up aptly.

The Givers – Upbeat, indie pop-rock. Again with the male/female twin lead vocals. Difficult to describe their sound, but I rather liked their show.

(Halfway through day 2, they evacuated the park because of an approaching storm. I heard wrongly that they were NOT going to reopen the park, so I caught the train home. So I missed Franz Ferdinand and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I’m an idiot.)

Red Oblivion – The only notable thing is the smokin’ hot blond gal on lead guitar. Otherwise, ugh.

Hey Rosetta – A nice surprise. They sound like Andrew Bird meets the Cold War Kids… except it’s better than that sounds. I’m going to check out their album.

White Rabbits – Spoon meets Phoenix. I like these guys. So would many of you.

Dum Dum Girls – I’ll be honest here, I don’t really remember how they were. Just that they weren’t quite as fun as I’d expected.

The Gaslight Anthem – Straight-up bar rock. No more, no less… but these guys do it very well. They’re pros.

Florence & the Machine – I’m not really a fan, but the power of this live show is undeniable. The crowd was vast, overwhelmingly female, and unspeakably horny by the end of the set. Oh my.

Justice – My first-ever experience at a big-time, headlining techno set. Hey, we only live once. My plan had been to catch the opening, then walk the long mile to see Jack White. But a combination of factors* kept me on the north side, and I’m not sorry. True Fact: I had a full-fledged blast, and I don’t care who knows it.

*I was higher than Jesus.
    Funny how you characterized White Rabbits because their last CD was produced by Britt Daniels. I saw them when they opened for Spoon at the Chameleon in Lancaster, PA, and I got these pictures of him including one of the back of Britt's head with my buddy's fingers behind it;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lolla 2012 mini-reviews-brittdaniel.jpg   Lolla 2012 mini-reviews-brittdanieland-bobsfingers.jpg  
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

42 Regular
    Yeah, the White Rabbits' latest album is almost certainly in the top 5 for me this year... it's getting frequent rotation in the MidFi household these days. I'm also looking forward to Britt's collaboration with the guy from Wolf Parade/Handsome Furs; they're calling themselves the Divine Fits.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Thread Information