The latest Year End Comp on Record? 2007

All of this talk about members from so many years ago and all of the recent comp talk got me thinking. 2007 is the first year I didn't make a YEC. I can't have a hole in the binder so I made a quick comp of some of my favorite songs from 2007. Better late than never.

Starting off with a "Hit" at least by RR standards is new for me. Lot's of the stuff that everyone here already has, but probably a few things that are newish to most. There weren't too many YEC's this year (Nobody, Slosh) so if you want to steal the mantle of latest 2007 YEC, go for it. Tried not to reuse songs from others but first and foremost this is for me so If I loved it, I used it. Best track I heard that isn't on here I heard from Nobody, Sheena Was A Parasite. Wicked good.

If you want one, PM me with your address and I'll mail one off.

jc's Songs of 2007 ***

1. Is there a ghost? Band of Horses
    2. Sleeping Lessons -The Shins
    3. The Birth And Death Of The Day - Explosions In The Sky
    4. Hljomalind - Sigur Ros
    5. That Summer, At Home I had Become The Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad
    6. Someone Great - LCD Soundsystem
    7. House By The Sea - Iron & Wine
    8. Apartment Story - The National
    9. Niobe - Caribou
    10. No Cars Go - Arcade Fire
    11. Scythian Empires - Andrew Bird
    12. Hard Rain - Shout Out Louds
    13. Underwater - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    14. The Cape - Clinic
    15. Burst Generator - Chemical Bros.

***This comp is 100% Finch Free : )
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Why don't you just upload it?

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Why don't you just upload it?

Good question!

Here's why:
    1. This was made to be listened to on a real live stereo system. I suspect that a lot of the downloads stay on the hard drive and are played back through computer speakers.

2. This was made to be listened to in a specific order. While it is used sparingly, there is a cross fade. Since most of the d/l sites that I know now limit the size of the file this comp would be 15 individual downloads. I'm 100% certain that the complete comp won't be downloaded let alone be reconstructed in the same order.

3. Isn't it cool to get something to listen to in the mail? Anticipation ain't just for Heinz Ketchup. Part of the impetus for this was a slight nostalgia bent. Seeing posts from Tony and Barry and thinking of the good old days. What could be more nostalgic than mailing out comps just like I used to do all the time. It was fun then, should be fun again.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Why don't you just throw it in the trash?

God, there's some sucky stuff on there.

fp

Suspended
    I would like to listen to it as I don't really know any of what is on it.....still stuck in the 70s and jazz/fusion. Not a bad place to be stuck.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    God, there's some sucky stuff on there.

fp
    You don't know the half of it. There's not one single track on there that you'd like.

jc

I always like your comps. I'll send ya where I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    You don't know the half of it. There's not one single track on there that you'd like.

jc
    Not true- I love the BoH song.

But the rest of it is pretty much gag-rock, yeah.

fp

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Not true- I love the BoH song.

But the rest of it is pretty much gag-rock, yeah.

fp
    Crap, does that mean I have to take that one off ? : )

Thing about that one, I love the opener but despite repeated listens there's only one other track on that entire album that does anything at all for me. The rest...blech...

jc

pfft, I'm working on Half Gone 2008 already
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    There's quite a bit of stuff that'll be new to me so I'm in, if you would sir. I'll pm the necessary info. I'm gonna resist the temptation to say that the fact that it's Finch-free is a selling point, if only cuz some of my stuff has gone over like a lead balloon....but OTOH I might think it.

NP:
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    There's quite a bit of stuff that'll be new to me so I'm in, if you would sir. I'll pm the necessary info. I'm gonna resist the temptation to say that the fact that it's Finch-free is a selling point, if only cuz some of my stuff has gone over like a lead balloon....but OTOH I might think it.

NP:
    Actually a lot of the "alternative" , for lack of a better word, music that Finch has sent me has been fine, some of it really good. Somehow, and I'm not exactly sure how, FP became the Rodney Dangerfield of Rave Recs and it works 'cuz he's so good natured about it. A lesser man would have given me the finger...oops!

BTW, did you see the mythbusters episode where they actually made a lead ballon and it flew? I'm just saying...

jc

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Yeah, I view the FP comps I've gotten as a really big buffet. You gotta pick the dishes you like, but there's plenty to eat. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    All of this talk about members from so many years ago and all of the recent comp talk got me thinking. 2007 is the first year I didn't make a YEC. I can't have a hole in the binder so I made a quick comp of some of my favorite songs from 2007. Better late than never.

Starting off with a "Hit" at least by RR standards is new for me. Lot's of the stuff that everyone here already has, but probably a few things that are newish to most. There weren't too many YEC's this year (Nobody, Slosh) so if you want to steal the mantle of latest 2007 YEC, go for it. Tried not to reuse songs from others but first and foremost this is for me so If I loved it, I used it. Best track I heard that isn't on here I heard from Nobody, Sheena Was A Parasite. Wicked good.

If you want one, PM me with your address and I'll mail one off.

jc's Songs of 2007 ***

1. Is there a ghost? Band of Horses
    2. Sleeping Lessons -The Shins
    3. The Birth And Death Of The Day - Explosions In The Sky
    4. Hljomalind - Sigur Ros
    5. That Summer, At Home I had Become The Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad
    6. Someone Great - LCD Soundsystem
    7. House By The Sea - Iron & Wine
    8. Apartment Story - The National
    9. Niobe - Caribou
    10. No Cars Go - Arcade Fire
    11. Scythian Empires - Andrew Bird
    12. Hard Rain - Shout Out Louds
    13. Underwater - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    14. The Cape - Clinic
    15. Burst Generator - Chemical Bros.

***This comp is 100% Finch Free : )
    I have so many comps that I have sworn off them lately - but this one looks so scrumpdilicious that I can't resist. Am I too late to get in on the fun?
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    I have so many comps that I have sworn off them lately - but this one looks so scrumpdilicious that I can't resist. Am I too late to get in on the fun?
    If I can put out a YEC in May it's certainly not too late for you to get one. As long as you haven't moved, you're covered.

jc

I think elf pee knows we're playing. The Tribal Tech dealio was solid and he helped me out with some reggae that really set the mood for last summer.

What, no Rush?
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    What, no Rush?
    Oversight.

You know, I really missed hearing something from you. If the inspiration hits you just right you could tack a track or two on to your disc.?.

jc

I think elf pee knows we're playing. The Tribal Tech dealio was solid and he helped me out with some reggae that really set the mood for last summer.
    You guys are dicks! I'm taking my turntable and going home!!

Suspended
    I just played King Crimson For Dummies getting prepped for the show in August. I didn't realize it was a FP comp at all but it Rawks! I may have to supplement it with some older stuff that was missed for a part 2.

Plenty others from FP came my way and most are cool for sure.

Hey JC,

Nice compy, that's what I'm sayin'. Real nice flow and some good edit points. I'm thinking specifically of the Arcade Fire to "Scythian Empires" transfer if memory from three o'clock in the morning serves correctly. I'd been wondering about Clinic so thanks for giving me a taste. Another one for the buylist.

Gracias

Hey JC,

Nice compy, that's what I'm sayin'. Real nice flow and some good edit points. I'm thinking specifically of the Arcade Fire to "Scythian Empires" transfer if memory from three o'clock in the morning serves correctly. I'd been wondering about Clinic so thanks for giving me a taste. Another one for the buylist.

Gracias
    "Real nice flow..."

I thought so too. Wish I could take credit for it. After I ripped everything I wanted to include I just dragged every single track at once across the pane and let Nero sort it out. Essentially Nero picked an order that I just tweaked minimally and inserted a 5 second cross fade between Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros. Could be the best flow of any comp I've ever done and I didn't do it. There's a lesson there.

jc

Red face Home Stereo Homey

Hey, JC.

Comp looks gooooood. I'd like to give it a home stereo listen. I'll PM you my addie, if you don't have it still.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

Thread Information